Patrick Wiercioch is impressive.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
Unfortunately work ethic is part of the "project" with some of these guys. (I guess that statement isn't just about hockey players, but people in general. Haha)

Either way, as a fan, it's hard not to like today's Wiercioch.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The thing with Wier (IMO) was that he seemed to stop developing for a while there. He didn't put in the effort to turn his "promising prospect" label into "NHL player". He was coasting on natural skill, and that skill wasn't going to be enough to get him to the show without the proper work ethic to go with it.

If I can use an analogy:
Weircioch is like the kid who was smart enough to get all A's in high school on his smarts alone. As soon as he got to university, he started drowning because he had never developed any real study habits.
He thought he could coast on his smarts like he did when he was younger, and didn't realize that University was a hell of a lot tougher than high school.
Everyone knew he was a smart kid, but without devoting himself to school, his marks were at best average.
It took him until his Senior year to get his act in gear and start developing study habits and proper work ethic, and his grades drastically improved as a result.

Hi, me!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The next point I need to bring up is we need some sort of moniker for Turris and Wiercioch as one single entity. The Burnaby Boys is catchy. Maybe BBBFF?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
He sure is. Loved him thus far. Really likin' Benoit and Gryba aswell. Love what we have going on right now. Some great experience for these young'ins.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He sure is. Loved him thus far. Really likin' Benoit and Gryba aswell. Love what we have going on right now. Some great experience for these young'ins.

Benoit is 29 years old.

Gryba will be turning 25 in a month.

Not exactly "young'ins" in hockey years...
(though still kids when compared to my own age :()

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A lot to like in a 6'4 defenseman that can wheel and move the puck. His defensive play needs work but it will get better with experience, and it will only be easier as he bulls up.

Yes, impressive is a word used to describe a prospect like him.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Reminds me of a less Pejorative Slured, slightly stinkier version of Tom Poti.

WhiteLight*

A little from column A, a little from column B.

images

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Benoit is 29 years old.

24-25 is young in the development timeline of most defencemen, specially those that come out of the NCAA ranks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Benoit is 29 years old.

You said something about Wiercioch in his senior yr but didn't he leave school after his softmore yr?

A lot to like in a 6'4 defenseman that can wheel and move the puck. His defensive play needs work but it will get better with experience, and it will only be easier as he bulls up.

Yes, impressive is a word used to describe a prospect like him.

You like his size too, am I right? :laugh:

Exactly, he's a big guy who can skate & shoot, guys like that you keep & watch them develop into great NHL players. Ottawa has a number of guys with that combination of size & skill like Stone, Zibanejad, Gryba, Latendresse, Wiercioch, Greening, DD, Grant, Culek, Methot & Z. Smith who either have already made it to the NHL or have the potential.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Now tied for 4th in team scoring.

Showed he can create his own offense, kid has tremendous raw talent. Can't wait to see what happens when he bulks up, gets more confidence and starts jumping into the play more.

You like his size too, am I right? :laugh:

Exactly, he's a big guy who can skate & shoot, guys like that you keep & watch them develop into great NHL players. Ottawa has a number of guys with that combination of size & skill like Stone, Zibanejad, Gryba, Latendresse, Wiercioch, Greening, DD, Grant, Culek, Methot & Z. Smith who either have already made it to the NHL or have the potential.

Love the height, the weight? Not so much. He's still losing battles because his lack of strength, but that will come with time.

I am always in favour of adding players with size and speed. Even if they don't have the natural talent that smaller players possess, they can be developed into tremendous defensive players that can win battles all over the ice. Excellent job by the Murrays bringing in these type of players, big reason why we have been able to survive without our top players.

WhiteLight*

He's awesome.
Good head on his shoulders too.

Elite #3 D-man :yo:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
He's not getting any love from NHL.com, though:

The Senators tied it in the second period thanks to forward Patrick Wiercioch's fourth goal in six games
Jeez, as soon as an Senator defenceman starts scoring all of a sudden people think that he can't play any D. :sarcasm:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He almost ended this one tonight right before he took that penalty. That shooting is really high end. I don't think this hot streak of his is much of a fluke. Teams are going to recognize that they have to cover his point but that'll open up a lot more room for our forwards to work the half boards. He should score 10+ goals regularly in his career.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I've been trying to find the final 2008 draft rankings but haven't had any luck.

I remember going 'WTF who?' when we drafted Wiercioch in the 2nd round that season. I was really into that draft and had never heard of him. Just wondering where he was ranked.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I've been trying to find the final 2008 draft rankings but haven't had any luck.

I remember going 'WTF who?' when we drafted Wiercioch in the 2nd round that season. I was really into that draft and had never heard of him. Just wondering where he was ranked.

He was another underrated defenseman coming out of the USHL. So many gems come out of that league. Hope we take a long look at Ian McCoshen out of Waterloo and Michael Downing out of Dubuque. Two 6'3 defensemen with skill that aren't getting enough hype, like Wiercioch in his draft year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

You probably know this but he was a big time late riser. I think he had an injury that year and came back for the playoffs only to light it up. Shooting up from 6'0 to 6'4-6'5 in that season didn't hurt his ranking either.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
You probably know this but he was a big time late riser. I think he had an injury that year and came back for the playoffs only to light it up. Shooting up from 6'0 to 6'4-6'5 in that season didn't hurt his ranking either.

Yea no doubt. You could tell he was still getting used to his body back then, looked kinda like Bambi :laugh:

I was just curious where he ended up on the final rankings. I was really familiar with Lehner but when Wiercioch name was called I had to do way more research then for Lehner lol

EDIT: found him in the HM's of the TSN rankings http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11508

I think they got the picture wrong though :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad