Patrick Wiercioch is impressive.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
I love Wiercioch, great young player. Going to probably be a staple for us in our future. Cowen-Karlsson, Ceci - Wiercioch as our young prospects* top 4. But he does leave stuff to be desired defensively. Now while it is unfair to compare him to Karlsson, we were able to watch him grow into a strong (or at least strong enough) defensively player and we have seen that style of effective. Wiercioch seems to try and play his height instead of his weight. His board work is pretty weak. Give him the puck and he is golden, but without it, it is something I am afraid of. Give him the offseason to improve and I'm expecting big things from him in his 5-6 role next year, and if he steps up to fill the 3-4 spot I'm even happier.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's still got room to grow physically. If he does and he learns to use his reach more effectively he should be able to win more battles and handle 19-20 minutes on a regular basis. Gonchar is an amazing mentor for him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Wiercioch has been dynamite lately with the puck. He has really nice offensive instincts.

He still lacks some awareness in the defensive end though. Frequently (including tonight) he will cover the weak-side post as he should; when the attacking team cycles it behind the net and into his corner, Patty is VERY slow to react. Good D-men are so aware that they bolt off of that weak-side coverage and get to that puck first. Wiercioch almost never does that; resulting in more time in his own end. Outside of that he's good with the puck once he gets it in his own end, which is a very good start for a rookie D.

He'll get it in the next couple of years. Combined with an improved first step I think he'll end up being more than serviceable in his own end.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
lol ok there

I've been wrong twice in my HFBoarding career:

1-Didn't like the Turris trade at the time. But only 2-3 posters actually did because of the collective Rundblad boner. I think I get a pass on this one, almost everyone was wrong.

2-I said Methot was 3rd pair instead of 2nd pair. Whoopteedoo. If you dug up those threads you'll find others agreeing and many disliking the Foligno trade as well. (I still don't see the big deal about Methot. #4-5 is a better description. He's tailed off lately after a good start, showing his true colours)

How about when you said Giroux was a top 10 player and Spezza wasn't? Or the time you said Kuba is better than Methot? Or the time you said Foligno for Methot was a bad trade for us? I'm sure I'm missing several.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
I'm amazed how good Wiersy has become. I remember watching him play at Denver, where he just dominated on the offensive side, and he was decent but not great on the defensive side. If he can bulk up and round out his defense, who's to say he can't be a #1 in the NHL someday??

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I'm amazed how good Wiersy has become. I remember watching him play at Denver, where he just dominated on the offensive side, and he was decent but not great on the defensive side. If he can bulk up and round out his defense, who's to say he can't be a #1 in the NHL someday??

I agree. I've always thought he's had jay bouwmeester potential but I'm starting to think he might be able to provide more offence while not being quite as strong defensively. That would make him at least a #1 puck mover on a lot of teams.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree. I've always thought he's had jay bouwmeester potential but I'm starting to think he might be able to provide more offence while not being quite as strong defensively. That would make him at least a #1 puck mover on a lot of teams.

Which is funny because he'll likely end up as #3 on ours lol

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Young Kuba is a comparison I made a few years ago, still kinda adequate. The JBo isn't bad as well. However Wiercioch is Wiercioch, he has a special factor to him.

lol at all the trade proposals where he was a "throw in prospect"

Suck it Bonk. 3rd pair indeed

I called the Wiercioch - Gonchar awesomeness a month ago

Congrats. I called it when we learned that Cowen was injured for the season. Maybe you took your awesome ideas from someone else?

lolz

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looked pretty good tonight in the loss. One bad pinch if you can call it that when Paille scored.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wiercioch's point this afternoon put him tied for 4th in rookie scoring, tied for 1st for rookie defensemen.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Defense still leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed. If Wiercioch's offensive ability didn't even progress, he'd still have enough smarts and skill that he has now to give him a long NHL-career. It's the improvements necessary in his defensive and physical game that will differ from a great or average NHL-career.

There is no reason to think he will stop developing any part of his game though which bodes extremely well for his future. Especially under the leadership of MacLean.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
It was interesting to hear Garry galley compare him a little bit to a young rob Blake the other day. He might know. He played with him. Not sure I'm ready to say that quite yet, but he's clearly turned himself into a very very viable prospect.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A 6'4" defencemam who can skate & join the rush is such a luxury in this league. You never give those guys away & as Wiercioch learns the defensive end of the game which can be taught he is going to be a very valuable top 4 defenceman for this team for yrs to come.

I see the exact same progression for Ceci as I do for Wiercioch. Give him half a yr or a full yr with Luke in Bingo & his defensive game will get that much better. He already has the size at 6'3" & scoring ability but could use some Marc Power power skating time. Once he becomes part of this organization under the tutelage of our coaches he will start to get better & better. IMO Ceci concludes the top 4 defencemen in Ottawa along with Cowen, Karlsson & Wiercioch. Then we still have Methot, Phillips, Gryba, Boroweicki & Sdao.

I'm not sure if Gonchar is re-signed, I would have said no at the start of the yr but now I'm not sure. I think it comes down to whether he will take a one yr contract or will want more than one yr like Kuba. My guess, if some other team offers him a two yr contract he will walk. While I don't think Ceci will be able to replace Gonchar to start the yr next season, he could be ready by just before next yr's deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad