Patrick Wiercioch is impressive.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Konopka and Carkner in the playoffs last year.

I didn't say kiler instinct

I said "killer instinct" (they are bolded just in case you can't tell, I sure can't)

Meaning my vocabulary sucks

Whatever word you want for "rising to the occasion" is more along the lines of what I was looking for

Yes, I'm aware it could ALSO be applied to Konopka and Carkner in the playoffs

*sigh*

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Its amazing that we've lost Karlsson and Cowen only to see guys like Gryba and Wiercioch seize the opportunity. Wiercioch is improving game to game imo. He's recognizing when he can jump into the play like last night and getting much more confident with the puck on his stick on the PP, getting more shots to the net etc.

He's still very sheltered as a Dman but he's getting more responsibility as the season continues. He's a big part of our PP and making a case for us not to re-sign Gonchar or look to replace him through free agency. Mac's doing a good job of managing his minutes.

Gryba on the other hand is playing big and non sheltered minutes. Both Wier and EG are a little slow making decisions in the D zone and that's where their biggest short falls rest. Its something that should improve just by playing more NHL games.

Gonchar is playing fantastic hockey and Phillips is rounding into his mid-late season form. All of a sudden, without 2 of our best players on the backend, we have a really solid group. Guys like Gryba are going to be money in the playoffs when he rules 'change'.

I still wouldn't mind adding another guy who can move the puck, run a PP and play the right side but this group looks as if it get the job done and take us to the playoffs.

Sens91

Mar 16, 2011
Its amazing that we've lost Karlsson and Cowen only to see guys like Gryba and Wiercioch seize the opportunity. Wiercioch is improving game to game imo. He's recognizing when he can jump into the play like last night and getting much more confident with the puck on his stick on the PP, getting more shots to the net etc.

He's still very sheltered as a Dman but he's getting more responsibility as the season continues. He's a big part of our PP and making a case for us not to re-sign Gonchar or look to replace him through free agency. Mac's doing a good job of managing his minutes.

Gryba on the other hand is playing big and non sheltered minutes. Both Wier and EG are a little slow making decisions in the D zone and that's where their biggest short falls rest. Its something that should improve just by playing more NHL games.

Gonchar is playing fantastic hockey and Phillips is rounding into his mid-late season form. All of a sudden, without 2 of our best players on the backend, we have a really solid group. Guys like Gryba are going to be money in the playoffs when he rules 'change'.

I still wouldn't mind adding another guy who can move the puck, run a PP and play the right side but this group looks as if it get the job done and take us to the playoffs.

Agree 100%. He makes something happen every time he is out there on the PP. Other than EK, he is the best defenseman on the Sens roster at just getting shots through on net. Helps that he got a +100 from me when he fought McQuaid lol, so maybe my opinion on him is a little biased now. Love his development.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Both guys are gaining very valuable experience in the NHL this year. Due to Karlsson's injury, our defense just got better for next year, provided EK plays like he did this year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There have still been times where Wiercioch makes me worried defensively but for a rookie he's playing outstanding hockey. Almost PPG while slightly below average defensively for an offensive defenseman as a rookie is actually remarkable in this league.

Anyone who seen the AHL games this year would have told you Wiercioch was capable of coming into the top 4-5 for Ottawa this year. He was the best/among the best all-around defenders down there, imo.

Gryba on the other hand, wow. Gryba has been the biggest and best surprise on this team primarily due to expectation. He is playing hockey NOW that I never knew he was capable of during his prime years in the league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There have still been times where Wiercioch makes me worried defensively but for a rookie he's playing outstanding hockey. Almost PPG while slightly below average defensively for an offensive defenseman as a rookie is actually remarkable in this league.

Anyone who seen the AHL games this year would have told you Wiercioch was capable of coming into the top 4-5 for Ottawa this year. He was the best/among the best all-around defenders down there, imo.

Gryba on the other hand, wow. Gryba has been the biggest and best surprise on this team primarily due to expectation. He is playing hockey NOW that I never knew he was capable of during his prime years in the league.

Wiercioch has 9 points in 23 games, below .5 PPG. Hes nowhere near a PPG level

source

Jul 13, 2008

He's closer to the 6th spot than the 4th spot for that very reason (see: ice time statistics). I think it's fabulous that he is in the NHL at 22, but he is our worst defenseman defensively. No doubt about it.

source

Jul 13, 2008
MacLean has really done a fabulous job of using Wiercioch effectively to get the best out of him while easing him into tougher defensive options.

Agreed that he is being played in situations ideal for his longer-term development, but he is by no means drawing 1st or 2nd line players with regularity.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Definitely not. Wiercioch looked completely lost on the Eller goal which should have been a routine cover.

Agreed. If Gryba was given Wiercioch's minutes he'd play almost mistake-free games. Props need to be given to Gryba's defensive awareness.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Man, full credit to Wiercioch. The guy was playing his way out of chances with the organization, and it finally got through to him that he needed to put in an NHL-level work ethic to play NHL minutes.

Wiercioch should be a poster boy for the effort required to make the NHL. A great "before & after" example to use to other prospects in our system: you put in the work, and you'll reap the rewards.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
you put in the work, and you'll reap the rewards.

work.5623316.1.sticker,375x360.amarican-cha-ching-v1.png

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Wiercioch should be a poster boy for the effort required to make the NHL. A great "before & after" example to use to other prospects in our system: you put in the work, and you'll reap the rewards.
JOB too. I recall hearing that once him and Murray had a meeting about what he'd have to do to make it or his chance would be down the drain.

Both Zibanejad and Wiercioch are still projects who are already contributing. Not bad.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
JOB too. I recall hearing that once him and Murray had a meeting about what he'd have to do to make it or his chance would be down the drain.

Both Zibanejad and Wiercioch are still projects who are already contributing. Not bad.

Yea I remember hearing that too after his rookie season where he only had 17 points in 76 games. He had to get his **** together or he wouldn't be with the organization very long.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Yea I remember hearing that too after his rookie season where he only had 17 points in 76 games. He had to get his **** together or he wouldn't be with the organization very long.

The dude totally changed his game too. Now he's all about effort and you see that every shift with JOB. It's a bonus that he has a great shot.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We give lots of credit to Luke Ricahrdson but lets take a moment to reflect on the awesomeness Kurt Kleinendorst. He got a lot of these guys to the NHL.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
I don't exactly remember Wiercioch being as down-and-out as many of you make it seem. He had a rough transition to the AHL, but so what?!? He is still very young and not only did he drop out of college early to pursue pro hockey, but we ALWAYS knew he was a project. Good for Patty, I love what we are seeing out of him.

Jim O'Brien on the other hand. I am so pleased that he turned it around. I felt he was really getting squeezed out of the organization....the way of Mr. Culek as it were... But Jimmy has impressed and I love his hustle!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't exactly remember Wiercioch being as down-and-out as many of you make it seem. He had a rough transition to the AHL, but so what?!? He is still very young and not only did he drop out of college early to pursue pro hockey, but we ALWAYS knew he was a project. Good for Patty, I love what we are seeing out of him.

Jim O'Brien on the other hand. I am so pleased that he turned it around. I felt he was really getting squeezed out of the organization....the way of Mr. Culek as it were... But Jimmy has impressed and I love his hustle!

The thing with Wier (IMO) was that he seemed to stop developing for a while there. He didn't put in the effort to turn his "promising prospect" label into "NHL player". He was coasting on natural skill, and that skill wasn't going to be enough to get him to the show without the proper work ethic to go with it.

If I can use an analogy:
Weircioch is like the kid who was smart enough to get all A's in high school on his smarts alone. As soon as he got to university, he started drowning because he had never developed any real study habits.
He thought he could coast on his smarts like he did when he was younger, and didn't realize that University was a hell of a lot tougher than high school.
Everyone knew he was a smart kid, but without devoting himself to school, his marks were at best average.
It took him until his Senior year to get his act in gear and start developing study habits and proper work ethic, and his grades drastically improved as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad