Patrick Wiercioch is impressive.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Hi guys. Toronto fan here.

Just wanted to say that I have watched the Sens play quite a bit this season (GF is a Sens fan/Ottawa girl living in Toronto). Aside from Zibanejad being pretty good this season, I've noticed that Patrick Wiercioch has been playing very well. Not surprising at all, given his NCAA career. He reminds me a lot of Cody Franson. Big, lanky, good skater, great shot, plays on the PP, doesn't play overly physical but gets the job done.

Thoughts on Wiercioch from Sens nation?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Very happy with his progression. He needs to shore up his defensive end a little bit, but overall (especially for a rookie) he's been very impressive in his role.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Agree with Cujo, very happy with where he is at this point of his career. Tighten up his game a bit in his own zone, get a little stronger and he's going to be a pretty good player.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
^Pretty much what Cujomi said. He was written off by some around these parts especially after his injury last year, but he has bounced back very well.

I loved how he stepped up the other night vs. McQuaid after he took out Neil.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I thought he'd be more of a Kuba, but he's picked up his physical play lately which has been a very nice surprise.

Franson's actually a pretty good comparable, though Wiercioch still has room to improve.

WhiteLight*

Wiercioch is clearly outplaying Gryba. Gryba, as usual, was a -1 again last night. He also took a very stupid penalty leading to a goal.

Wiercioch on the other hand is one of the few players producing offensively, and is solid defensively for the most part. He gets scored on less than any other Sens D-man, and is much more positionally sound and manages the puck better than Gryba.

Why is Gryba getting 20+ min and Wiercioch 13? I know Gryba plays the right, but that's still not a good reason IMO.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You can't really compare them right now. Wierchioch is playing a lot more sheltered than Gryba. There's probably a reason for it. He's not strong enough on the boards right now and still has some pretty obvious defensive-awareness lapses in his own zone.

He's progressing really well though and to come back from his neck injury last year in such a big way is very encouraging for his future IMO.

WhiteLight*

You can't really compare them right now. Wierchioch is playing a lot more sheltered than Gryba. There's probably a reason for it. He's not strong enough on the boards right now and still has some pretty obvious defensive-awareness lapses in his own zone.

He's progressing really well though and to come back from his neck injury last year in such a big way is very encouraging for his future IMO.

Gryba's lapses are (much IMO) worse than Wiercioch's. Like the OP, when watching Wiercioch, I just come away impressed. And the stats back it up. Wiercioch is more sheltered yes, but unfairly so. Gryba is the one struggling and the one who should be sheltered.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Liked his game last night, though on a few plays where he had to come back hard it looks like he doesn't have a lot of speed. For a D that isn't the kiss of death, positioning and smarts can compensate. Have to like the offense.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's been alright. I don't expect him to become a high-end top-4 guy. If he can continue how he's been playing, he'll be a solid NHLer who can play top-4 minutes when injuries occur.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Wiercioch is clearly outplaying Gryba. Gryba, as usual, was a -1 again last night. He also took a very stupid penalty leading to a goal.

Wiercioch on the other hand is one of the few players producing offensively, and is solid defensively for the most part. He gets scored on less than any other Sens D-man, and is much more positionally sound and manages the puck better than Gryba.

Why is Gryba getting 20+ min and Wiercioch 13? I know Gryba plays the right, but that's still not a good reason IMO.
Well, Weircioch did mess up on the first goal, he lost Eller badly going to the net.

Both have been very good for us, even if neither is perfect. Weircioch gets protected minutes because he's not great in his own zone yet. I'm sure he'll improve, but that's why he's not getting as many minutes yet.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gryba's lapses are (much IMO) worse than Wiercioch's. Like the OP, when watching Wiercioch, I just come away impressed. And the stats back it up. Wiercioch is more sheltered yes, but unfairly so. Gryba is the one struggling and the one who should be sheltered.

I'll trust the coaches and trainers that work with them every day to decide who they feel can handle the big minutes and big players. Gryba has his moments where he seems to handle the puck like a grenade but I really don't think they're as numerous or as bad as you make them out to be. He's pretty solid most of the time, and he's way stronger along the boards than Wiercioch. He's also made some pretty nice defensive plays and poke-checks along the way.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Gryba has the more difficult assignment for a rookie.

Wiercioch is showing impressive offensive creativity and poise, he's not afraid to skate with the puck, and make the extra move.

A lot of young guys get rid of it as quickly as possible.

But, he doesn't have Gryba's tenacious physicality and I think that Ottawa needs that in their own zone. Rangers fans came away very impressed with Gryba after that recent game.

When you're a young guy playing against more experienced NHL forwards, sometimes you just have to rely on the pin and hold. Gryba is better at it than Patrick at this point in time.

The other aspect is the fact that Patrick doesn't kill penalties at the moment, so you're going to see some large ice time discrepancies resulting from that alone.

I trust Paulrus on this one.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Both Weircoch and Gryba has been impressive. Gryba is getting a lot of minutes to prove himself as a shutdown guy and he's doing really well for the most part. He's certainly exceeded my expectation and I think he has earned a bottom pairing role for next year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Both Weircoch and Gryba has been impressive. Gryba is getting a lot of minutes to prove himself as a shutdown guy and he's doing really well for the most part. He's certainly exceeded my expectation and I think he has earned a bottom pairing role for next year.

Agreed.

I think our system helps, certainly.

Guys seem to slot in and contribute.

When you look at guys who have played for the Senators this year, it's hard to put a finger on who has been absolutely awful.

I could see a top four of Methot-Karlsson, Wiercioch-Cowen, and some combo of Phillips, Lundin, Gryba, Boro.

Gonchar is playing very well, and I'd love to see him on a 3rd pairing with a guy like Gryba or Phillips. But I don't think the salary works. (alternatively, swap him with Wiercioch and put him back with Cowen).

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Agreed.

I think our system helps, certainly.

Guys seem to slot in and contribute.

When you look at guys who have played for the Senators this year, it's hard to put a finger on who has been absolutely awful.

I could see a top four of Methot-Karlsson, Wiercioch-Cowen, and some combo of Phillips, Lundin, Gryba, Boro.

Gonchar is playing very well, and I'd love to see him on a 3rd pairing with a guy like Gryba or Phillips. But I don't think the salary works. (alternatively, swap him with Wiercioch and put him back with Cowen).

Agreed, but I doubt Murray brings back Lundin or Gonchar. Like the rest of the team, the D is going to be younger in 2013-14 IMO.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa

Gryba has struggled more because he is facing tougher opposition. Wiercioch would be overwhelmed if their playing time was switched and Gryba would look even more amazing. Ideally, Gryba and Wiercioch would both be playing in the 5/6 slots and be getting weened slowly. Unfortunately they have had to step up in roles they are not quite ready for....the fact that both they have done well is something to be very happy about....and a testament to MacLean, the guy knows what he's doing, and I am sure not going to be the one to second guess him. But if you know better than him, you should send him an email and let him know. I am sure he'll appreciate the input of an expert.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
The guy is a rookie playing decent minutes and putting up points without being too much of a liability defensively. As he gets older, patty will continue to add muscle, work on his core strength and fill into his big frame. As he gains continues to gain experience, like Karlsson has already done, he will figure out what he can and can't get away with and learn how to play solid defense in this league. His offensive game is already pretty impressive and will also continue to get better as minutes per game increase. He has the ability to get pucks on the net which besides Karlsson, not many of our defenseman possess. I think Franson is a good comparable at this stage, but still has plenty of room to improve on that, if he puts the necessary work in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, Weircioch did mess up on the first goal, he lost Eller badly going to the net.

Both have been very good for us, even if neither is perfect. Weircioch gets protected minutes because he's not great in his own zone yet. I'm sure he'll improve, but that's why he's not getting as many minutes yet.

Gryba was an absolute disaster last night every time him and Phillips were on it was a penalty a goal against or running around in the zone.

Since they moved Methot off Gryba's pair he has been noticably bad.

Wiercioch amazingly get next to no credit on these boards. I agree after Zibanejad he has been the best rookie by a wide margin, his first pass is incredible and his poise on the point on the powerplay is fantastic.

He always gets his shot through, and has a great stick defensively.

His neutral zone transition is a thing of beauty, most people underate this but I honestly think its the thing Ottawa excels most in compared to other teams in the league. It helps control the pace very well and he is usually the hinge that makes it happen. His ability to come out controlled and settle down the play makes him much more of a defensive asset then people give him credit for.

He is also up to 5 break away passes the most I have seen by any d man that i watch consistently.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The pairing of Phillips & Gryba were not very good whether that is due to not playing together before or poor decision making by one of them but who knows. Fact is that Gryba has been playing very well since being called up with the exception of last night & we have been hearing this from a number of sources. Gryba RD is a defensive defenceman so we don't expect him to put up a lot of points but instead reduce the number of goals against. Seeing how Ottawa has one of the lowest goals against in the league this yr which is a huge turn around from last season I would say that Gryba RD has helped a lot in that area. Should be interesting if Murray re-signs Gonchar (plays the right side) for a yr, personally I doubt it but you never know. Karlsson, Gonchar & Gryba on the right side is not such a bad thing either. Although I don't think it will take Ceci RD long to find his way to Ottawa next yr.

Wiercioch is an offensive defenceman & has shown that with some terrific passes & goals. His weakness is obvious & that is that he needs to put on more muscle & weight to clear those big bodies from in front of the net & be better defensively overall. The good news is that you can teach defence but you can't teach size & he has plenty of size & a good frame to add more muscle. He is going to be a top 4 player on this team even when Karlsson & Cowen return next season & help out on the PP. I also think that his minutes need to be controlled because I'm not sure he has the stamina to stay out to long especially if he has been wrestling with guys in front of the net, that can be exhausting. Wiercioch LD could be fighting Phillips LD for ice time next season while Cowen LD & Methot LD should be permanent fixtures on the left side next yr.

IMO both Gryba & Wiercioch are keepers & they should be paired together at some point. This seems like a pretty big & good defence group for the future of this team, then add some of the guys who could be called up from Bingo like Sdao, Blood, Fransoo, Rutkowski, Wideman or Benoit, if he is re-signed. Not bad.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think Murray resigns Benoit. Our D next year will be pretty decent if Wiercioch can take some of Gonchar's offensive time. Getting Karlsson and Cowen back will seem like Christmas for MacLean

I think

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wiercioch
Phillips - Benoit
Gryba

with Borowiecki and Ceci in Binghamton reday to come up when called.

Or Murray makes a trade for someone he wants to replace Gonchar and push Wiercioch to the 5/6 slot

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What I love is that he's made the most of the opportunity given to him when Karlsson went down

It's the kind of "killer instinct" the Senators haven't had much of over the last couple of years

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Other than Methot, the guy's been out most consistent defenseman this year after the first five games. I haven't noticed any tremendous give-aways like I have with the other rookies (Boro and Gryba). Good passer, good stick, and seems to have some nice chemistry with Turris on the PP from their days in BC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->