Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Nemsis destroyed TNG, or atleast the ability to make more TNG movies or shows.

A) They killed Data, seriously? What the hell were they thinking when they did that. And not only did they kill him, they replaced him with a dues ex machina clone shoe horned in so badly you're likely to generate fusion energy from the pressure.

B) They Destroyed the Romulan Empire for a one time villain. The Romulan Empire was a powerful, immense, rich and terrifying force that was the only other power aside from the Federation to come out of the Dominion Power in a position of strength, I have no idea what they were thinking when they did this. Oh that's right, they weren't.

C) While First Contact was a great movie but it wasn't a true Trek story, and unfortunately it is the reason why we got Nemesis. Insurrection, for as much hate as it got, was a true Trek story and is viewed positively in the eyes of the Trek community. When Insurrection got ho hum reviews from the public at large, the studio went back to the FC formula for Nemesis but went in balls deep, and in the process they sacrificed everything Trek is/was about.

D) THE HOLLYWOOD ACTION FORMULA DOESN'T WORK WITH TREK!!!!!!! FC worked only because people were missing TNG and wanted more Picard and crew. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the hollywood action blockbuster effect was born the same year with ID4, which was released before ST:FC. People were hungry after Id4 for more spectacular action blockbusters, and were willing to look the other way when it came to good story telling and logic. But the Trek community is smart, filled with intellectuals and those with a particular need for stories centered around characters having to deal with moral dilemmas, cultural and racial stigma's, solving scientific quandaries, et cetra. FC was the lone action hollywood blockbuster in the franchise that got away with differing from what the fan base was used to, when Nemesis was released in 2002 the fan base was quite adamant in what it wanted, and another shoot'em up was not it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Definitely not, and that one is bad as well.

All four of the movies are bad, IMO, just varying degrees of it. None of them capture TNG and translate it successfully to the big screen. First Contact feels the most like a big screen movie, but not much like Star Trek. Insurrection feels the most like Star Trek, but not much like a big screen movie. I prefer the latter, but I really would've preferred if they'd managed to combined the parts that worked about both movies and made a single one. That's the really disappointing thing about their movie run, IMO, that they didn't put it all together even once. At least for every mediocre or bad movie with the original crew, there was a movie in which they did put it all together. We didn't even get one such TNG film.

Reactions: Seedtype and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All four of the movies are bad, IMO, just varying degrees of it. None of them capture TNG and translate it successfully to the big screen. First Contact feels the most like a big screen movie, but not much like Star Trek. Insurrection feels the most like Star Trek, but not much like a big screen movie. I prefer the latter, but I really would've preferred if they'd managed to combined the parts that worked about both movies and made a single one. That's the really disappointing thing about their movie run, IMO, that they didn't put it all together even once. At least for every mediocre or bad movie with the original crew, there was a movie in which they did put it all together. We didn't even get one such TNG film.

Pretty much this.

I remember feeling hyped for Insurrection after First Contact - back in those days we didn't have the vast amounts of Internet spoilerage that we have now so I knew virtually nothing about the story going in but thought how great it would be if they could make another First Contact-type movie with a more Star Trek vibe to it.

Little did I know they were planning on making a 90 minute TNG episode, only shot for the big screen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The movies do exist though, and Nemesis is the last canon adventure of the TNG crew no matter what.

Why I want this to somehow manage to be good because they deserve a better canon ending then that shitty movie.

One major problem with the TNG movies is Picard is constantly way way out of character. He does things or makes decisions he simply would never have done during the run of the TV show.

They also always have trouble figuring out things for the rest of the crew to do, and they keep getting lazier and lazier with reasons for Worf to keep showing up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The movies do exist though, and Nemesis is the last canon adventure of the TNG crew no matter what.

Why I want this to somehow manage to be good because they deserve a better canon ending then that ****ty movie.

One major problem with the TNG movies is Picard is constantly way way out of character. He does things or makes decisions he simply would never have done during the run of the TV show.

They also always have trouble figuring out things for the rest of the crew to do, and they keep getting lazier and lazier with reasons for Worf to keep showing up.
Patrick Stewart wanted to do more action than he ever did on TNG, so that's how they did his character in the movies (especially the last 3 as Generations he's still mostly acting normal). One of the reasons I have little confidence in this, because he has apparently influenced how his character will be here and his last round of suggestions were terrible.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I suspect that Paramount wanted a stronger leading man to market the movies around and were afraid that non-TNG fans (i.e. casual moviegoers) wouldn't like Picard if he didn't act just like Kirk. It was brilliant of Roddenberry to make Picard a very different kind of captain, but what we got in the movies is the Kirk 2.0 that Paramount probably would've given us in 1987 if Roddenberry had never been involved with TNG. Stewart wanting to do more action may've helped things along a bit and contributed to scenes like the shuttlecraft chase and dune buggy scene, but I feel that we would've gotten out-of-character Picard regardless. After all, look at how most of the other characters (especially Data and Worf) look out of character, as well.

I think that the main problem with the movies is that they're not written well, especially with regards to the characters. It's as if the writers felt that the way to make it so that they didn't feel like episodes was to change the characters from how they acted in the TV series. I ultimately blame them and Paramount for that, even if the actors were complicit in some of the changes. I doubt that Stewart and Spiner envisioned their characters being written so poorly when they asked to be given a little more range.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I suspect that Paramount wanted a stronger leading man to market the movies around and were afraid that non-TNG fans (i.e. casual moviegoers) wouldn't like Picard if he didn't act just like Kirk. It was brilliant of Roddenberry to make Picard a very different kind of captain, but what we got in the movies is the Kirk 2.0 that Paramount probably would've given us in 1987 if Roddenberry had never been involved with TNG. Stewart wanting to do more action may've helped things along a bit and contributed to scenes like the shuttlecraft chase and dune buggy scene, but I feel that we would've gotten out-of-character Picard regardless. After all, look at how most of the other characters (especially Data and Worf) look out of character, as well.

I think that the main problem with the movies is that they're not written well, especially with regards to the characters. It's as if the writers felt that the way to make it so that they didn't feel like episodes was to change the characters from how they acted in the TV series. I ultimately blame them and Paramount for that, even if the actors were complicit in some of the changes. I doubt that Stewart and Spiner envisioned their characters being written so poorly when they asked to be given a little more range.
Picard in the movies acts nothing like Kirk. Kirk's reputation in popular culture is an outlandish stereotype relative to the actual character. It's how we ended up with that farce in Star Trek 2009 that is nothing like the original character.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Picard in the movies acts nothing like Kirk. Kirk's reputation in popular culture is an outlandish stereotype relative to the actual character. It's how we ended up with that farce in Star Trek 2009 that is nothing like the original character.

I say that he does. He gets into one-on-one confrontations with villains (Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis) like Kirk (The Search for Spock, The Final Frontier), he's impulsive and overly emotional (First Contact, Nemesis) like Kirk (The Wrath of Khan), he ignores Starfleet orders (Insurrection) like Kirk (The Search for Spock) and he gets the girl (Insurrection) like Kirk (The Voyage Home). There are still differences, of course, but my point is that aspects of Kirk (even if they're stereotypes) were added to Picard to make him less like his original diplomatic self and more like the action hero captain that audiences had become accustomed to in the franchise's movies.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The writers got lazy.

I mean, the main villain basically dies the exact same way in Generations and Insurrection. Standing on a launch platform that explodes because Picard messed with the controls.

How do you not realize that as a writer? Or maybe they did and didn't care, or thought of it as an inside joke. Either way, it's bad.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Nemsis destroyed TNG, or atleast the ability to make more TNG movies or shows.

A) They killed Data, seriously? What the hell were they thinking when they did that. And not only did they kill him, they replaced him with a dues ex machina clone shoe horned in so badly you're likely to generate fusion energy from the pressure.

B) They Destroyed the Romulan Empire for a one time villain. The Romulan Empire was a powerful, immense, rich and terrifying force that was the only other power aside from the Federation to come out of the Dominion Power in a position of strength, I have no idea what they were thinking when they did this. Oh that's right, they weren't.

C) While First Contact was a great movie but it wasn't a true Trek story, and unfortunately it is the reason why we got Nemesis. Insurrection, for as much hate as it got, was a true Trek story and is viewed positively in the eyes of the Trek community. When Insurrection got ho hum reviews from the public at large, the studio went back to the FC formula for Nemesis but went in balls deep, and in the process they sacrificed everything Trek is/was about.

D) THE HOLLYWOOD ACTION FORMULA DOESN'T WORK WITH TREK!!!!!!! FC worked only because people were missing TNG and wanted more Picard and crew. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the hollywood action blockbuster effect was born the same year with ID4, which was released before ST:FC. People were hungry after Id4 for more spectacular action blockbusters, and were willing to look the other way when it came to good story telling and logic. But the Trek community is smart, filled with intellectuals and those with a particular need for stories centered around characters having to deal with moral dilemmas, cultural and racial stigma's, solving scientific quandaries, et cetra. FC was the lone action hollywood blockbuster in the franchise that got away with differing from what the fan base was used to, when Nemesis was released in 2002 the fan base was quite adamant in what it wanted, and another shoot'em up was not it.

I never thought they actually killed Data with B4 there and the memory dump. It always left the door open for his return. The Romulans were still there at the end I guess although it was a silly store. Agree with the rest.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I wish they would do something more interesting with Data instead of just saying that his memories are in B4 now and it all someone just worked out fine. I'm assuming that's where they're going with it anyway.

How about bringing back that scientist from the "Measure of a Man" episode? Data did encourage him to continue his work at the end of the episode. Bring him back having finally figured out how Soong did it and have him create a new Data. Obviously he still needs Data's memories to actually be Data, I just don't want them to go the obvious route.

I don't know, just throwing ideas at the wall.

Also, bring back Garak. I don't care how they do it, or why, I just want more Garak.

Reactions: brokeu91

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Patrick Stewart wanted to do more action than he ever did on TNG, so that's how they did his character in the movies (especially the last 3 as Generations he's still mostly acting normal). One of the reasons I have little confidence in this, because he has apparently influenced how his character will be here and his last round of suggestions were terrible.

I didn't know Stewart wanted a more action-based character. That's a scary thought and another reason to be thankful for Roddenberry's vision. I get the caution over the upcoming series, but my guess is that the strategic, diplomatic, intelligent Picard we love will be given more room to breathe on TV than in a one-off movie. Also, everything takes longer to develop when you're almost 80.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
A bunch of cameo scenes cut between action shots. Can't say I'm excited for this really.

They are really trying to make people nostalgic in this even throwing in a Romulan Bird of Prey into things.

STP.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad