Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I like Seven of Nine at least, she was one of the best characters on Voyager and the one with by far the most character development along with the Doctor.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
7o9.png
B4.png
BC.png

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So we're doing the Borg again? No thank you.

Surrounding Picard with sexy younger actors is yet another attempt to make Star Trek "cool". (They've been trying to make it cool for almost 20 years. It always fails).

I'm not gonna lie though. It was pretty exciting seeing Picard, Data and Seven of Nine. I didn't completely hate the trailer.

Just because they had a Borg cube doesn't mean it's all about the Borg. Hugh will be back, but maybe that's a subplot Maybe it's Hugh's daughter who the girl is.

And there's no guarantee 7 of 9 is still called that. She's been free for 20+ years, maybe she goes by Annika Hansen now.

Other than the protecting some girl with superpowers a la Firefly/Logan, the plot is exactly what we all thought and heard. He's with a band of mercs/rogues after Starfleet doesn't help him, and the Romulans are going to play a very big role as obviously despite being antagonists in most of TNG, Picard clearly saved millions of lives before the supernova.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Alex Kurtzman is still involved. My enthusiasm is muted. As it is through Stewart himself having such significant input in crafting the story. I love Patrick Stewart, but he's not shown the greatest track record in making prudent character decisions (Nemesis' dune buggy scene, anyone?)

Also the fact that Data is back baffles me. I assume they're going to say that Data somehow imprinted onto B4 and resurfaced, but then it kind of invalidates their whole attempt to have Data's sacrifice mean something. Not that I particularly liked his sacrifice to begin with because Nemesis suuuuuucked, but y'know.

There's no guarantee that it's Data or even B4. They make you think that to draw people in. Oldest trick in the book.

Kurtzman's role was reduced. Chabot took over. Also, agreed Nemesis was one of if not the worst way to end our time with any cast. It's not a guarantee they got this right but in the Wayne Gretzky "You Miss 100% of the shots you don't take" aesthetic since this is HFBoards, they have a greater than 0% chance of washing the Nemesis taste out of all of our mouths.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm sure that it'll be better than Discovery. In that aspect, I'm likely to be relieved. On the other hand, it'll be hard not to judge it in comparison to TNG, which is bound to be pretty disappointing. At best, I anticipate mixed emotions.

My reaction to seeing Data was surprise that Brent Spiner agreed to reprise the role. After all, he felt that he was getting too old to play the character 20 years ago. Perhaps missing the character and his cast mates changed his mind or, maybe, advances in makeup convinced him that his age could be hidden (or, maybe, he was just tired of the role 20 years ago and used his age as an excuse). Honestly, he doesn't look much worse here than he did in Nemesis. It's hard to believe that that's a 70 year old underneath that makeup.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Spiner in all that makeup at this age will look weird. You always knew when he downloaded himself in B4 there was a chance to bring him back.

Looks intriguing none the less.

There's actors vs. characters. In real life actors age, characters don't always. Spock for example, in the novelization of Wrath of Khan he's supposed to look exactly the same as he did in TOS due to Vulcan's lifespans. Obviously Nimoy was like 13-14 years older when there filming that movie (November 1981 I believe).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I like Seven of Nine at least, she was one of the best characters on Voyager and the one with by far the most character development along with the Doctor.

Voyager had bad writing if you weren't Janeway/Seven and once in a while B'Lana. Take Chakotay for example, Robert Beltran is an excellent actor. I just Night Of The Comet recently and he did more in those 100+ minutes as an actor than they let him do seven seasons of VOY. I have friends who hate Harry Kim but it wasn't his fault with the writing. Garrett Wang is pretty cool about the entire thing and gets it.

The Doctor worked because he was so charismatic and essentially did the "vaudeville" outrageous stuff very similar to what Scotty would do occasionally in TOS and to what he did often in the movies.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Something about the production just seems off to me. Its the same feeling I have with Discovery, which is why I couldn't get into it. Trying to be bold and theatrical without the production values to be bold and theatrical.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not gonna lie, that trailer has me hyped. Seems so much better than Discovery, and I’m actually a Discovery fan.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
So we're doing the Borg again? No thank you.

Surrounding Picard with sexy younger actors is yet another attempt to make Star Trek "cool". (They've been trying to make it cool for almost 20 years. It always fails).

I'm not gonna lie though. It was pretty exciting seeing Picard, Data and Seven of Nine. I didn't completely hate the trailer.

If it wasn't because of Discovery I would have no problem giving this a chance. I don't want Star Trek Nemesis to be last canonical adventure for Picard, so I want this to be good. But it's really hard to be confident in the current Star Trek showrunners so far.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Something about the production just seems off to me. Its the same feeling I have with Discovery, which is why I couldn't get into it. Trying to be bold and theatrical without the production values to be bold and theatrical.

It has a very SW EU vibe, except that it’s live action. If done right this could be very good.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If it wasn't because of Discovery I would have no problem giving this a chance. I don't want Star Trek Nemesis to be last canonical adventure for Picard, so I want this to be good. But it's really hard to be confident in the current Star Trek showrunners so far.

It's so funny how universally hated that movie is. Funny and sad that it wasn't scrapped for a better script.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The scene with Jeri Ryan was very out of character for her vs. Voyager. She seems to have developed some personality.
Probably because she’s spent 20 years of actually being human instead of a Drone.

Also is that Data or Lore?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->