Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I can see Starfleet luring him out of retirement for an important diplomatic mission, perhaps one that he's particularly suited for. For example, there may be trouble with the Romulans, who are represented by Gul Madred, from the TNG episode Chain of Command. David Warner is only 77 and is still acting (he was most recently in Mary Poppins Returns), so he could reprise his role as Madred. Anyways, that would force Picard to re-visit one of the darkest moments in his life, which seems to fit the theme of the series.

Anyways, something could go wrong with the diplomatic mission, forcing Picard to take more of a command role than he signed up for. For example, a starship captain might be killed or captured and the first officer might insist that Picard take command because he outranks him and is more qualified. Perhaps better and more realistic would be having Picard take command of a smaller ship, like a support ship, one that isn't well suited for battle but is capable of more than it would appear once he encourages and challenges his crew to get the most out of it.

Pretty much the Kirk scenario in the 1st original movie.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Pretty much the Kirk scenario in the 1st original movie.

I wouldn't classify it as that. I don't think Picard is capable of doing that (at least his before First Contact Rambo persona lol). Plus Kirk was only out of command for like 2.5 years as a 40 something year old compared to a 90 + year old which Picard is in this new tv show for like 15 years. (I know in actuality it was ten year in real life but TWOK being so much later corrected that issue).

What Kirk did in the first movie was actually very selfish. Yes he was right and ultimately saved the day, but he pretty much used his rank and politics to shove his personal replacement aside. Two key crew members were also lost and he almost got the ship blown up in a self created warp wormhole.

While TWOK being so much later than TMP basically forgets it (even though they went on another five year mission and then spent like a eight years training cadets) part of Kirk's "punishment" or consequences he talks about dealing with from Khan is because he pulled stuff like he did in TMP all the time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure if you forgot a :sarcasm: but I'm pretty sure that symbol is obvious to anyone familiar with Star Trek.
You're pretty sure the symbol is obvious to anyone familiar with Star Trek? Again, I had no idea that was the case. I would have never thought that.

The delta in the vineyard isn't even the correct one for this era BTW.

I'm glad we have geniuses running Star Trek these days that know how to make it "cool."

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You're pretty sure the symbol is obvious to anyone familiar with Star Trek? Again, I had no idea that was the case. I would have never thought that.

The delta in the vineyard isn't even the correct one for this era BTW.

I'm glad we have geniuses running Star Trek these days that know how to make it "cool."

Yeah, sorry. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. If this series stinks, it won't be because of a symbol on a poster.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I wouldn't classify it as that. I don't think Picard is capable of doing that (at least his before First Contact Rambo persona lol). Plus Kirk was only out of command for like 2.5 years as a 40 something year old compared to a 90 + year old which Picard is in this new tv show for like 15 years. (I know in actuality it was ten year in real life but TWOK being so much later corrected that issue).

What Kirk did in the first movie was actually very selfish. Yes he was right and ultimately saved the day, but he pretty much used his rank and politics to shove his personal replacement aside. Two key crew members were also lost and he almost got the ship blown up in a self created warp wormhole.

While TWOK being so much later than TMP basically forgets it (even though they went on another five year mission and then spent like a eight years training cadets) part of Kirk's "punishment" or consequences he talks about dealing with from Khan is because he pulled stuff like he did in TMP all the time.

It's not like any of the recent series or even movies follow any previous Star Trek logic. They can pull him out of his vineyard and put him in the captain's chair for any stupid reason.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Was the narrator referring to the events that resulted in Romulus being destroyed and Spock and Nero's crew being pulled into the alternate reality? I know there was a comic made about that, but I seem to remember Picard being an ambassador, not an admiral, and that he more or less was an observer to the whole event. Data (who was "resurrected" in B-4's body after transferring his memories during Nemesis) was captain of the Enterprise-E and leading the assault to stop the Supernova and Nero.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not working for me but this one does:

Picard, 6..errr..Seven Of Nine, and Data???!!! USS Hype has just entered Spacedock (yes , totally stole it from the comments)!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Alex Kurtzman is still involved. My enthusiasm is muted. As it is through Stewart himself having such significant input in crafting the story. I love Patrick Stewart, but he's not shown the greatest track record in making prudent character decisions (Nemesis' dune buggy scene, anyone?)

Also the fact that Data is back baffles me. I assume they're going to say that Data somehow imprinted onto B4 and resurfaced, but then it kind of invalidates their whole attempt to have Data's sacrifice mean something. Not that I particularly liked his sacrifice to begin with because Nemesis suuuuuucked, but y'know.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Picard trailer has me less than excited.

Also yes, anything Kurtzman touches is a steaming pile of shit, so there's that.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
My excitement is tempered after witnessing the abomination that is Discovery but it's nice to see so many familiar cast members sign up for this.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
For as wierd as Tom Cruz is he is a top tier actor that can turn a dud into an amazing hit.

This being said, Kurtzman somehow managed to f*** up The Mummy so bad that not even Tom Cruise could save it.

Reactions: Blender

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Picard trailer has me less than excited.

Also yes, anything Kurtzman touches is a steaming pile of ****, so there's that.

Agreed. The trailer is like all of the other works he's involved with. Cool stuff that looks great in a trailer but I bet doesn't makes sense during the actual plot of the work.

Also, oh boy, can't wait to see the Borg get further screwed over!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For as wierd as Tom Cruz is he is a top tier actor that can turn a dud into an amazing hit.

This being said, Kurtzman somehow managed to **** up The Mummy so bad that not even Tom Cruise could save it.

Tom-Cruise-What.gif

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So we're doing the Borg again? No thank you.

Surrounding Picard with sexy younger actors is yet another attempt to make Star Trek "cool". (They've been trying to make it cool for almost 20 years. It always fails).

I'm not gonna lie though. It was pretty exciting seeing Picard, Data and Seven of Nine. I didn't completely hate the trailer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have no issue with Data coming back in B4. I thought they at least implied it was possible in Nemesis? I know the MMO and some novels just ran with the idea and brought Data back this way.

I want this to succeed, but how bad Discovery is has me wary. It was great to see some many of the old faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad