Value of: Patrick Kane

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Lol that’s just not true.

then again someone who makes this comment in a Kane (retained) for Lafrienere proposal can’t be taken seriously. Laf is worth significantly more than Kane at this point
Being hyperbolic but I can see 90+ point seasons for the next 4 years and 70 for the next 3. I don’t think Laf is worth more to a contender than Patrick Kane if we’re talking about the production. If we have to retain salary then yes I’m asking for more

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
With a year left on his deal and no guarantees he'd re-sign with the Sharks. Also, Karlsson wasn't in his prime when he was traded as he had come off of a couple of fairly serious injuries that had the potential to be career altering.

It turned out that the injuries were career altering AND the Sharks gave him that ridiculous contract anyway. That deal couldn't be made today either as teams aren't allowed to attach re-signing conditions to traded draft picks anymore.
Karlsson didn’t really decline until he got to the Sharks. He was still among the league elite when he was traded, definitely a 5-15 league wide player which is where Kane is today.

Yes Kane has term but at his age, and at his price that’s not a huge positive. I almost think a 1 year Kane would be more valuable to a cup contender who wants to send it this year.

I think he could fetch a Brannstrom level prospect, which is a non top 10 pick blue chipper but still a high profile prospect.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Lol that’s just not true.

then again someone who makes this comment in a Kane (retained) for Lafrienere proposal can’t be taken seriously. Laf is worth significantly more than Kane at this point

What? You pray to God that Laf becomes as good as Kane.

Cap hit (assuming no retention) and age may make Lafreniere more desirable right now, but “significantly more” is absolutely laughable.

Kane at 25%+ retention is worth more than Laf

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Being hyperbolic but I can see 90+ point seasons for the next 4 years and 70 for the next 3. I don’t think Laf is worth more to a contender than Patrick Kane if we’re talking about the production. If we have to retain salary then yes I’m asking for more
Yes that’s insanely hyperbolic. He’s hit 100 points 2/13 times in his career. Even saying 90 for the next 4 seasons won’t happen. He’s hit 90 points 2 times in 13 seasons.

Laf is worth significantly more in a trade because of his age and ELC.

It’d be insane for the Hawks to have traded Kane to the Sharks for Thornton back in 2008. Because that’s basically what you’re demanding and more at this point.

Reactions: ManicTouch

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What? You pray to God that Laf becomes as good as Kane.

Cap hit (assuming no retention) and age may make Lafreniere more desirable right now, but “significantly more” is absolutely laughable.

Kane at 25%+ retention is worth more than Laf
Yes I’m aware that Kane is what you desperately want Laf to become.

But when talking value to a franchise. An 18 year old 1st overall pick, on an ELC, with 7 years of team control is worth a lot more than 32 year old making 10.5 mil for 3 seasons. Even if the 32 year old is still putting up good seasons.

Hell I wouldn’t be surprised to see Laf put up nearly as many points as Kane in the next 3 years (let’s say he gets 50, 70, 80 points in those years he wouldn’t be far behind). And at a fraction of the cost. In this covid cap climate that’s insanely more valuable.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Yes that’s insanely hyperbolic. He’s hit 100 points 2/13 times in his career. Even saying 90 for the next 4 seasons won’t happen. He’s hit 90 points 2 times in 13 seasons.

It’d be insane for the Hawks to have traded Kane to the Sharks for Thornton back in 2008. Because that’s basically what you’re demanding and more at this point.

Most recent seasons:
84p in 70g - 99p pace
110p in 81g
89p in 82g (okay missed it by 1 point lol)
106p in 82g

and
64p in 61g
55p in 47g

That’s a bit disingenuous.

Then consider the merry-go-round of linemates he has had on pretty bad Hawks teams.

I think saying he is a 90 point winger over the duration of his contract is conservative.

I understand you saying teams would prefer a cost controlled Laf over him. I’m just saying don’t try to devalue him with shenanigans

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Most recent seasons:
84p in 70g - 99p pace
110p in 81g
89p in 82g (okay missed it by 1 point lol)
106p in 82g

and
64p in 61g
55p in 47g

That’s a bit disingenuous.

Then consider the merry-go-round of linemates he has had on pretty bad Hawks teams.

I think saying he is a 90 point winger over the duration of his contract is conservative.

I understand you saying teams would prefer a cost controlled Laf over him. I’m just saying don’t try to devalue him with shenanigans
I’m not trying to devalue him. I like Kane.

Also you want to talk disingenuous. You just skipped 2017-2018 season and pretended that he’s gotten a 90 point pace the last 4 seasons even though we both know you purposely omitted that year for the sake of lying. And there nothing wrong with saying he’s hit 90 points twice in 13 years, it’s a true statement. I understand pace and all, but it’s still not a lock he nails 90 points.

I’m just saying the guy demanding Laf+ for Kane is out to lunch and unable to separate their personal emotional connection to a star player from their actual market value.

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Price tag for Kane starts at a 1st and a blue chip prospect. If you want the Hawks to retain or eat a bad contract as part of the deal than the price goes up.

As an example:

Buffalo gets Kane

Chicago gets 2021 1st and Cozens, plus (i.e 2022 2nd & 4th).

If Buffalo wants the Hawks to eat Okposo’s contract well that will cost them another first or grade A prospect.

I don't think any team is going to give up their top prospect + a 1st for Kane without outgoing salary being part of the deal

Cozens + a 1st + nearly 10 million in cap space has more value, IMO than 3 years of Kane

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

You’re not considering the context of the linemates he’s had pre-2016 and how the league has opened up scoring for players of his style by penalizing slashing and incentivizing to be less physical. Tell me one aspect of his game that is going to age poorly. I don’t think you’re as aware as you think you are. He will play until he’s 45 because that’s all he knows. Check back in 10 years and we’ll see how he holds up

Last, me saying “probably would ask for more” isn’t demanding Laf+, you need to take a breather. I would probably ask for more if I had to retain on Kane. Talk about being hyperbolic

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Karlsson didn’t really decline until he got to the Sharks. He was still among the league elite when he was traded, definitely a 5-15 league wide player which is where Kane is today.

Yes Kane has term but at his age, and at his price that’s not a huge positive. I almost think a 1 year Kane would be more valuable to a cup contender who wants to send it this year.

I think he could fetch a Brannstrom level prospect, which is a non top 10 pick blue chipper but still a high profile prospect.

Not true. Once he found his groove and became fully acclimated with the Sharks he was dominant. At one point he was on a 14 game point streak in which he had 25pts. He injured his groin shortly after and hasn’t looked the same since (was on pace for 65pts). Truth is that he didn’t have much time to rehab after surgery going into last season coming off a WCF appearance. Wilson recently did an interview and stated that this extended offseason has given EK the time he needed to properly rehab and that he finally looks 100%. I don’t mean to go turn this into a Karlsson thread, but the people writing him off after last season aren’t really looking at the whole picture.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
ya you do. Chicago wants to rebuild. not many teams can absorb Kane's contract. Kane controls where and if he is going. He can select one team and force a trade to that team. Chicago has no leverage. See Arizona with OEL.
Funny thing about this is Buffalo could be one of the last places he wants to go.

In your hypothetical where we have no leverage:

If we can’t get a second line/1B center out of this why would we trade an elite/franchise winger? For fun and middling picks?

Our rebuild will be over in 2-3 years, maybe with things looking bright and competing before his contract is over. Maybe people should consider that.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Would you trade Werenski for that package lol? (and then consider Kane probably has more value)

If CBJ tries rebuild and didnt have clear starting goalie,Werenski were 31 making over 10M/Y and i get for return young all star goalie, two young developing wingers and 3round pick which all becomes with under 4M caphit and leaves allmost 7M space for cap. I would think about it. Kane is worth more but over 10M/Y for 31yo winger is huge money. Hope you get my point. Stay safe

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
ya you do. Chicago wants to rebuild. not many teams can absorb Kane's contract. Kane controls where and if he is going. He can select one team and force a trade to that team. Chicago has no leverage. See Arizona with OEL.

Why do you think Kane wants to go to Buffalo? I would wager that Kane values winning and contending for a Cup more than playing for his hometown team. Does anyone have any confidence in the Pegulas doing what’s right to turn the team’s outlook around in the short term? Kane is a huge hockey nerd and I bet he relishes the opportunity to have a second act and win another Cup to further cement his legacy. That place isn’t Buffalo.

Reactions: HawksDub89

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
Why do you think Kane wants to go to Buffalo? I would wager that Kane values winning and contending for a Cup more than playing for his hometown team. Does anyone have any confidence in the Pegulas doing what’s right to turn the team’s outlook around in the short term? Kane is a huge hockey nerd and I bet he relishes the opportunity to have a second act and win another Cup to further cement his legacy. That place isn’t Buffalo.

i dont, i was replying to a comment made by another poster. Im hoping he forces a trade to Boston :popcorn:

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Ok Here is my opinion as a Neutral fan. (I am not a Blackhawk hater, like most wings fans).

Kane is signed to an expensive contract BUT.. its only 3 years.
He is still producing as basically nearly the best winger in the league.
He should be a solid producer for all of those 3 years.

So he should get a ransom. The trouble with this is. Who the heck has a ransom to pay for him??

The teams with the best young pieces are rebuilding (Detroit, Ottawa, LAK)
The Contenders don't have any young stars really.

I think your best bet is a bubble team.

Also IF I was Chicago, and I wanted to rebuild fast... I would try to maximise the return on Kane.
And this could be done with 50% retention on Kane's contract.

This would make Kane the BEST/Cheapest winger in the league. Which also sky rockets his value.

I would Target a trade something around:

Kane (5.25M only for 3 years) ---> for Laine+ Heinola + 1st +???
((Winnipeg could afford to move those guys and still compete... its a big cost, but they could be contenders with 3 shots at the cup with Kane))

OR

Kane (5.25M only for 3 years) ---> for Bowen Byram + Kaut + 1st +???
((Colorado could afford to move those guys and likely be a huge cup favourite))

IF Chicago retains, I think the return could be huge (Did I add enough for "huge" above?).
If they do not retain.... I honestly don't know who can even afford Kane and still win.
Its a dilemma. Also retaining would cost a crap ton of money, when all the teams are losing Money. So maybe the Chicago Owner won't want to do that.

((P.S. The kinda trades I suggested above could get a GM fired too...))

Disregard

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Patrick Kane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

seeing this thread reminds me of the OEL situation a little. the calibre of the player available and his contract.

Patrick Kane currently has a NMC, just like OEL. These players did not demand a trade, and it's unlikely I think Kane will "Demand" a trade. Kane currently has a NMC so.... lol. for all he can do he can submit a list of 2 teams, lol, the value of Kane can all of a sudden change.

Personally I will be far more excited to add Kane then a OEL to the Canucks no question about it. Would love to add the greatest American hockey player of all time, I like him way more then Toews, and a lot of players. I see nothing but an offer of

a 1st
2nd
Hoglander
and one of Juolevi or Rathbone going the other way and that's really about it due to covid season.

They would keep Kane over that offer.

I’d be willing to bet Colorado would be on his list of destinations. (NYR too, and probably buffalo although I think he wants to win)

There’s only so many teams in win now mode that have the pieces to made a trade for Kane work.

Last edited:

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Poulin, POJ, Blomqvist, Tanev, Pettersson, Rust, 2021 1st, 2022 1st +?

edit: Obviously never gonna happen, just spit ballin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad