Value of: Patrick Kane

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ok Here is my opinion as a Neutral fan. (I am not a Blackhawk hater, like most wings fans).

Kane is signed to an expensive contract BUT.. its only 3 years.
He is still producing as basically nearly the best winger in the league.
He should be a solid producer for all of those 3 years.

So he should get a ransom. The trouble with this is. Who the heck has a ransom to pay for him??

The teams with the best young pieces are rebuilding (Detroit, Ottawa, LAK)
The Contenders don't have any young stars really.

I think your best bet is a bubble team.

Also IF I was Chicago, and I wanted to rebuild fast... I would try to maximise the return on Kane.
And this could be done with 50% retention on Kane's contract.

This would make Kane the BEST/Cheapest winger in the league. Which also sky rockets his value.

I would Target a trade something around:

Kane (5.25M only for 3 years) ---> for Laine+ Heinola + 1st +???
((Winnipeg could afford to move those guys and still compete... its a big cost, but they could be contenders with 3 shots at the cup with Kane))

OR

Kane (5.25M only for 3 years) ---> for Bowen Byram + Kaut + 1st +???
((Colorado could afford to move those guys and likely be a huge cup favourite))

IF Chicago retains, I think the return could be huge (Did I add enough for "huge" above?).
If they do not retain.... I honestly don't know who can even afford Kane and still win.
Its a dilemma. Also retaining would cost a crap ton of money, when all the teams are losing Money. So maybe the Chicago Owner won't want to do that.

((P.S. The kinda trades I suggested above could get a GM fired too...))

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Not happening.

Whrn has a 30+ player gotten a top 10 pick who hasn’t started his career yet

NOBODY will trade you a top 10 pick prospect.

At this point...

This season any trade needs to be cap neutral unless he goes to a rebuilding team. Nobody has the cap space.

In 21 with 2 yrs left the best return he gets is a 1-2+ b prospect+ salary back or retention.

Absolute joke

Kane has a healthy history, with a playstyles that ages well, and is putting up 100+ point seasons on a dogshit team with a poor supporting cast around him for years now.

If you think he’s not worth a top 10 pick you should have your legal ability to vote, drive, buy cigarettes and alcohol taken away. You need a reality check

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
God I would love for patty to come back home.

Buffalo cab drivers.. not so much :cool:

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’m torn as to whether I’d do it, but Marner for Kane would be an interesting trade. Toronto would get the better player with the shorter term remaining while the Blackhawks would get a 23 year old 90pt playmaker who would be an essential corner stone for their rebuild. Kane is older than I’d like but he’s still effective and his age is in line with Brodie, Tavares, and Muzzin’s. It’s a gutsy all in move for Toronto

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I’m torn as to whether I’d do it, but Marner for Kane would be an interesting trade. Toronto would get the better player with the shorter term remaining while the Blackhawks would get a 23 year old 90pt playmaker who would be an essential corner stone for their rebuild. Kane is older than I’d like but he’s still effective and his age is in line with Brodie, Tavares, and Muzzin’s. It’s a gutsy all in move for Toronto
Kane will put up 100 point seasons for the next 7 years

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Dave Nonis? Is that you?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Patrick Kane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

seeing this thread reminds me of the OEL situation a little. the calibre of the player available and his contract.

Patrick Kane currently has a NMC, just like OEL. These players did not demand a trade, and it's unlikely I think Kane will "Demand" a trade. Kane currently has a NMC so.... lol. for all he can do he can submit a list of 2 teams, lol, the value of Kane can all of a sudden change.

Personally I will be far more excited to add Kane then a OEL to the Canucks no question about it. Would love to add the greatest American hockey player of all time, I like him way more then Toews, and a lot of players. I see nothing but an offer of

a 1st
2nd
Hoglander
and one of Juolevi or Rathbone going the other way and that's really about it due to covid season.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
that's fine

you're actually willing to give up sanderson for him? really? but that's a legit offer for sure if you want him that bad.

No god no Sanderson is an integral part of the Sens core. I'm just presenting what I think is an offer that Blackhawks want not to mention that I would be a terrible GM as I'd have a poor grasp of value.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think him and Toews are pissed that they were not told about Crawford and Saad getting traded and that the team is headed in another direction. Toews made a comment public saying as such. He doesn't usually do stuff like that unless he felt the important need to.
I can see one or both of them asking to be moved at some point. Versteeg on FAN 960 said that it could possibly get to the point that Toews adn Kane would have their icetime and roles diminished to the point where they could ask to be moved. Im not saying this will happen or that its a good idea , just that there are ways to try to get players to be open to being traded and waving any NMC they may have.

If they do move one of t hem or both, the sooner they do it the better the return obviously .
I would never move Kane as he is still an elite player , but I can also understand why he might be available if the Hawks really do want to do a full out rebuild. They should be able to get numerous huge assets in trade. Who has the assets , cap room , and if they added Kane , would they be any further ahead than where they are currently at?
I cant think of any teams but will take a crack at it :

Foote
Smith
Boqvist
2021 1st
????

I don’t think Kane or Toews will fetch too much in a trade. I say this because of their high cap hit in a flat market, and the idea that they will likely have a very short trade list.

Chicago owes these guys a lot. They should work a trade out to a destination of their choice at a modest price, if it goes that way. Expect a 1st, a roster player, and a decent prospect. That is if of course it goes that way, and they mutually want to part ways.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If I’m a Hawks fan, I’m calling for them to clean house before ANY other moves. Fire the coaches, HC and GM NOW. Build around the core that is still strong and still got gas in the tank. Hawks aren’t as far off as many want to think.

As a side I would have never shipped Crow off, he should retire a Hawk.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Let me take a bite.

From CLB

Korpisalo
Bemström
Stenlund
2021 3rd round pick

From CHI

Kane

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Won't happen especially in-division, buuuut

Burakovsky (4.9M)
EJ (6.0M)
Newhook
1st
Jost

Is a kind of package the Avs could offer. Would only happen after this season/pre-expansion. But again, won't happen.

Colorado is the best trading partner. I wish they didn’t make the Saad deal. You substitute Bryam for Newhook and we are talking. If not, you need Newhook, Timmons, Annunen, and your 2021 first. The Hawks send Kane at 50% retention. If you need to send back a salary too, the Hawks take it. You’re getting an elite pt/gm winger for 3 years at 5.25 who is an assassin in the playoffs. Flags fly forever.

Boston doesn’t have a good enough prospect. Buffalo only works if they trade Cozens. If not the Hawks keep him.

Hawks could work something out with Vancouver with Podkolzin++.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Would at minimum need to be Texier instead of Foudy, and I don’t even think that (Texier + 1st) would be enough.

I do wonder if something around Bjorkstrand + 1st could be a base (even though he’s only making $2.5M, I think that’d be enough to free up to make it be able to work for us from a cap perspective) but I’m not sure if he’d be quite young enough for what Chicago is trying to do with the rebuild. Maybe add another good but not great prospect like Voronkov too. This is of course with no retention by Chicago.

1st + Marchenko + Chinakhov. That's a very good LW prospect + a very good RW prospect + 1st.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Pulock, Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, 2021 1st

Chicago would also have to take Boychuk or Ladd to offset salary.

I feel like that would be on the verge of too much, but that's probably what it'll take for a generational star (#1 D-man, top-6 scorer, another top prospect and a 1st, with cap dump attached).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Prime Karlsson was traded 2 years ago
With a year left on his deal and no guarantees he'd re-sign with the Sharks. Also, Karlsson wasn't in his prime when he was traded as he had come off of a couple of fairly serious injuries that had the potential to be career altering.

It turned out that the injuries were career altering AND the Sharks gave him that ridiculous contract anyway. That deal couldn't be made today either as teams aren't allowed to attach re-signing conditions to traded draft picks anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad