Rumor: Patrick Kane interested in two teams: NYR & TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
One GM that should be interested is the team that faces the Rangers in the first round. If anything will motivate Kane, it should be facing the team that snubbed him for Tarasenko.
NYR didnt snub Kane, they snubbed the Hawks because of their ridiculous asking price.

Reactions: UnSandvich

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Based on how he looked last night, I don't think he has any interest in being a Leaf.
If he did, he certainly didn't audition very well.
Kane rolls into any team in the league. He doesnt need to audition.

In reality Kane will go wherever he wants to go. If he gives the Hawks an ultimatum of NYR or no one, NYR will make space for him.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I predict he stays put, he’s a 10.5 mil caphit and even at max retention that’s still 5.25 mil ….what contending teams have that space…you need a third team, add in the fact he is having a disinterested year, this trade seems almost impossible to get done. Sorry Kane, I don’t think your going anywhere buddy, not this season anyway
No you actually don’t need a third team, the Hawks have the ability to eat 50% of Kane and/or Toews contracts and take back contracts equal to the other 50%.

For example, Kane to the Leafs at 50% = $5.25m, Leafs send Kerfoot $3.5m and Holl $2m back in the deal. Leafs actually create $250,000 in annual cap space, now just add the pieces to satisfy the Hawks.

Or

Kane to the Oilers at 50% retained = $5.25m, Oilers send Puljujarvi $3m and Foegele $2.75 in annual cap space. Oilers actually create $500,000 in cap space, again just add the pieces to satisfy the Hawks.

Most teams have a bad contract or two they would like to offload, the Hawks would be willing to help those teams to finalize a deal if the price is right.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
NYR didnt snub Kane, they snubbed the Hawks because of their ridiculous asking price.
Hawks haven’t asked for anything YET because Kane hasn’t agreed to waive his no trade clause. The Rangers may have been afraid of the potential asking price and therefore moved in a direction where they knew what actual cost for Tarasenko was.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
OMG, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Toews missed a full season from the effects of long haul COVID which has apparently left him with a compromised immune system. The fact that he might take a while longer then the average person to recoer from the flu should not be surprising.

It has been known that Kane has been suffering from a “lower body injury” for a couple of season, it’s not new. Kane is on record as saying it has been overblown. To suggest this information regarding his injury is just being leaked now is an indication you haven’t been paying attention which is understandable if you are not a Hawks fan. It is more likely that out of market media or other teams are blowing it up to be something bigger in an attempt to lower the price of acquisition.

While Kane’s effort can be brought into question at times, a big if not bigger factor behind reduced production is lack of high end teammates to play with. I think what we are seeing this year is extreme frustration with the team trading away players he has had a solid connection with on the ice.

Let me ask a question, if as you suggest they are tanking their own value to ensure they get their destination of choice, what guarantee is there that JT and PK’s destination of choices would still have an interest if they are not playing well and producing?
Just to set the record straight toews mystery illness to be fair to him happened long before covid a flu that has a 99.9% recovery rate.
Someone leaked kanes medical information and it was non stop writing and coverage for almost 2 weeks just so happened to be when new york suddenly based on news reports went for tarasanko.
You can chose to ignore those facts and buy into the narrative kanes injury has been known. Then how do you square your statement with new york for the past year desperately trying to make a deal for kane including there desire that they made known as of recently?

Someone leaked his information and used a go to writer to put that story out there to have the maximum affect tanking a kane to new york deal.
I guarantee by August there will be a story written on who leaked that information.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Kane rolls into any team in the league. He doesnt need to audition.

In reality Kane will go wherever he wants to go. If he gives the Hawks an ultimatum of NYR or no one, NYR will make space for him.
he doesn't though, maybe by name and reputation but he looked awful and uninspired, I get Chi is having a down year, but he just looks like he quit, besides the one backcheck he made as a result of his own turnover on the PP i believe. Maybe a trade rejuvenates him, but he did little to inspire a GM to acquire him especially if the asking price is high.

Kane and Toews for Kerfoot Knies and a 2nd round pick
NO

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
Yeah Kane definitely looks uninspired. And the fact he has won 3 Cups means urgency won't be a motivation for him as it might be for a less successful veteran. I would be hesitant to give much up for him as a rental, there are better options out there.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Kane from past years no question.
This years version, not so much.
You dont just lose it. Its quite clearly an unmotivated player. How can you blame him?

Yeah Kane definitely looks uninspired. And the fact he has won 3 Cups means urgency won't be a motivation for him as it might be for a less successful veteran. I would be hesitant to give much up for him as a rental, there are better options out there.
His motivation is about a team that traded all their good players. He's a winner if he goes to an environment that is commited he is going to heat up.

Reactions: Sinbad

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You dont just lose it. Its quite clearly an unmotivated player. How can you blame him?

His motivation is about a team that traded all their good players. He's a winner if he goes to an environment that is commited he is going to heat up.
Not saying he's lost it but yes at some point you do lose it.
If he has any interest in Toronto you would expect that to have given him some motivation last night.

Saw your last post, forgot how idiotic some can be. Carry on.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not saying he's lost it but yes at some point you do lose it.
If he has any interest in Toronto you would expect that to have given him some motivation last night.
Are you looking at the situation he is in at all? Its not always about Toronto.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
bahaha. 'His audition'

You dont think his resume is his 'audition'. FFS
it doesn't when you have to balance health, mindset, impact, asset management, cost of acquisition and other options for acquisition. He doesn't top the list. He had a chance to showcase himself a little and I would say that it was a flop. If I am GM, I would not be looking to give premium assets to acquire him. If the asking price was low, sure why not based on his resume.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
it doesn't when you have to balance health, mindset, impact, asset management, cost of acquisition and other options for acquisition. He doesn't top the list. He had a chance to showcase himself a little and I would say that it was a flop. If I am GM, I would not be looking to give premium assets to acquire him. If the asking price was low, sure why not based on his resume.
He had 92 points last season. In the offseason his organization sold off everyone. They literally didnt even qualify Strome. He quite clearly isnt motivated. If you think he has just completely lost it when you look at the big picture then fine. Its not the actual case though you just dont want your team to give up something substantial. Look at Karlsson. Players this talented dont just lose it over one season especially when you see your entire orgnization tank.

Sure. You can only form an opinion on the information you have.
If you form an opinion and never change it, that's up to you.
The information that suits the narrative you want to believe.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly, good post. Not a lot of critical thinking going on by some.

Reactions: Blaylock38

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Exactly, good post. Not a lot of critical thinking going on by some.
The irony.

He had 92 points last season. In the offseason his organization sold off everyone. They literally didnt even qualify Strome. He quite clearly isnt motivated. If you think he has just completely lost it when you look at the big picture then fine. Its not the actual case though you just dont want your team to give up something substantial. Look at Karlsson. Players this talented dont just lose it over one season especially when you see your entire orgnization tank.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Ok I get it, your either a fanboy or his agent. He is not worth it, as simple as that. He is too much a risk and he is not premium assets. It's not about losing it, it's about the risk of giving up premium assets for someone who has a rumored hip injury, for someone who has been passed over by other teams interested and someone who would walk at the end of the season. He could have a renaissance, but the risk is not worth paying premium assets for. He is not worth anything substantial.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If true then Dubas has some leverage. Kane will only waive if it's where he wants to go, so knowing that Kyle says basically (but more diplomatically) to Davidson "Do you want something for Pat, or nothing?"

Kyle Dubious would probably decide that this report means he has to offer Nylander, three firsts, six seconds, a third, and to clean Davidson's house every week.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Based on how he looked last night, I don't think he has any interest in being a Leaf.
If he did, he certainly didn't audition very well.

If you think someone with his resume has to audition you're delusional. Unless he switches which hand he holds the stick with there is nothing about his game that every team in the league doesn't already know.

Ok I get it, your either a fanboy or his agent. He is not worth it, as simple as that. He is too much a risk and he is not premium assets. It's not about losing it, it's about the risk of giving up premium assets for someone who has a rumored hip injury, for someone who has been passed over by other teams interested and someone who would walk at the end of the season. He could have a renaissance, but the risk is not worth paying premium assets for. He is not worth anything substantial.

Um, you do realize that they can a) ask for medical reports (assuming the rumour has any validity); and b) ask for permission to talk to him about an extension to determine how long he stays?

• Haha
Reactions: Blaylock38

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If you are going to base your opinion on 1 game then that entire team should retire right now because they didn't look like they gave a single f***.
Correct, if based on 1 game the Leafs should have folded the team after the Columbus game.
Kane can hit spots with his wrister and pass to the tape.
He’s played most of the year with Domi and Athanasiou and often lately with Tyler Johnson.
Domi and Johnson are both “ok” but better for a 3rd line role. Athanasiou needs his own puck, he adds nothing to a “line”. There is nobody who retrieves the puck because Domi is setting up for a shot.
Kane is on his game when the goalie and defense has to try to play the pass for a 1 timer and his shot. Defenses skate to him because he doesn’t have options and they know it. Domi doesn’t move to find that lane
Even on this shitty team if he played regularly with the likes of Dickinson and Raddysh I think his production would be much better.

Having just written that book I still say you pass on Kane. Dickinson, Lafferty, Tinordi and McCabe make TML a favorite. If Chicago takes back Muzzin, Holl and Kerfoot.
And don’t laugh at Tinordi, he plays actual defense about equal to Holl and he plays mean. Would be good in the playoffs.
McCabe better than Muzzin,
Tinordi = Holl
Dickinson + Kerfoot
Lafferty + Simmonds

AND Toronto walks away with about 3 mill in cap to do more.
If wouldn’t be cheap but they are a cup favorite at that point.
Plus you get to laugh at Vancouver fans for Canuck medical people not taking an X-ray of Dickinson’s hand last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad