Rumor: Patrick Kane interested in two teams: NYR & TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
If you think someone with his resume has to audition you're delusional. Unless he switches which hand he holds the stick with there is nothing about his game that every team in the league doesn't already know.

Um, you do realize that they can a) ask for medical reports (assuming the rumour has any validity); and b) ask for permission to talk to him about an extension to determine how long he stays?
Thank you Um, for stating the obvious, I do realize that, and I don't think the Leafs will be looking to extend a 34 year old going on 35 next season, especially if they don't have the playoff success they require and especially if Matthews decides against staying with Tor after his contract is up. It's not as cut and dry as everyone is trying to make it out to be. Kane is not a priority, players with Term that can make an impact or depth players that are cost controlled or cheaper will be. Kane should be plan H.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Correct, if based on 1 game the Leafs should have folded the team after the Columbus game.
Kane can hit spots with his wrister and pass to the tape.
He’s played most of the year with Domi and Athanasiou and often lately with Tyler Johnson.
Domi and Johnson are both “ok” but better for a 3rd line role. Athanasiou needs his own puck, he adds nothing to a “line”. There is nobody who retrieves the puck because Domi is setting up for a shot.
Kane is on his game when the goalie and defense has to try to play the pass for a 1 timer and his shot. Defenses skate to him because he doesn’t have options and they know it. Domi doesn’t move to find that lane
Even on this shitty team if he played regularly with the likes of Dickinson and Raddysh I think his production would be much better.

Having just written that book I still say you pass on Kane. Dickinson, Lafferty, Tinordi and McCabe make TML a favorite. If Chicago takes back Muzzin, Holl and Kerfoot.
And don’t laugh at Tinordi, he plays actual defense about equal to Holl and he plays mean. Would be good in the playoffs.
McCabe better than Muzzin,
Tinordi = Holl
Dickinson + Kerfoot
Lafferty + Simmonds

AND Toronto walks away with about 3 mill in cap to do more.
If wouldn’t be cheap but they are a cup favorite at that point.
Plus you get to laugh at Vancouver fans for Canuck medical people not taking an X-ray of Dickinson’s hand last year.

If Tinordi = Holl then Tinordi sucks, because Holl SUCKS

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm pretty lukewarm on Kane. Chicago is going to want the trade to reflect that he's one of their all time best players, won 3 Cups, etc, but that's not who he is today.

I think the trade assets / capspace to get Kane could bring in multiple other pieces.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Toronto should work around the edges like Colorado did last year. Add a defensive d and a two way forward if possible. Seems like they might go for big names though.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Yup, go to Toronto Kane, another soft player on the softest team in the league that will screw up their payroll situation ever more, which means they lose again and again in playoffs. Perfect.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If Tinordi = Holl then Tinordi sucks, because Holl SUCKS
Funny, there are several Leaf fans who claim to watch the games who told me Holl is a solid 2nd pair guy and important part of the PK.

I see either as being a 3rd pair/7th or 8th Dman. But both are better than Mete & Benn.
Adding McCabe in place of LTIR Muzzin puts either clearly in that role.
Brodie, Giordano, Lilly, McCabe and Rielly.
Timmons (a few good games doesn’t make a career), Sandin and Tinordi round it out.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Toronto should work around the edges like Colorado did last year. Add a defensive d and a two way forward if possible. Seems like they might go for big names though.

We don't have a Cale Makar :( Our approach is going to have to be a little different

Reactions: Azrael89

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you think someone with his resume has to audition you're delusional. Unless he switches which hand he holds the stick with there is nothing about his game that every team in the league doesn't already know.

Um, you do realize that they can a) ask for medical reports (assuming the rumour has any validity); and b) ask for permission to talk to him about an extension to determine how long he stays?
You don't think he or any player for that matter would be scouted prior to being traded for?
You should probably dial back the insults, you just look like a silly child.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Funny, there are several Leaf fans who claim to watch the games who told me Holl is a solid 2nd pair guy and important part of the PK.

I see either as being a 3rd pair/7th or 8th Dman. But both are better than Mete & Benn.
Adding McCabe in place of LTIR Muzzin puts either clearly in that role.
Brodie, Giordano, Lilly, McCabe and Rielly.
Timmons (a few good games doesn’t make a career), Sandin and Tinordi round it out.

I don't believe anybody has ever told you that, I believe you misunderstood.

Justin Holl at his absolute BEST is inconsequential, at his worst he single handily loses games, case in point Columbus

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Knies - Matthews - Kane
Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Engvall - Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Holmberg
I think you are really over-estimating Knies here.

Hawks haven’t asked for anything YET because Kane hasn’t agreed to waive his no trade clause. The Rangers may have been afraid of the potential asking price and therefore moved in a direction where they knew what actual cost for Tarasenko was.
Well the Hawks asking price became public at the end of January which was the equivalent of 3 First round picks.

Obviously they were not getting that but NYR did have discussions around Kane and felt the asking price was too high so went with Tarasenko.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Justin Holl at his absolute BEST is inconsequential, at his worst he single handily loses games, case in point Columbus

This.

He's a decent PKer, but realistically he should be a #7D on most teams. There is very minimal upside with him. And the chances of him making a huge f***ing mistake in an important game are pretty damn high. What was it, game 6 ? Last year ? For whatever reason Keefe started him in Tampa and on the very first shift we got a goal against because of him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Knies - Matthews - Kane
Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Engvall - Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Holmberg
We all hope that Knies has a good, and long career.. but pump the brakes a little there.... to pencil him in on the first line.. is a placing unrealistic expectations at best.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

How about a wager?
You just called me a liar.
If I can post a quote where a leaf fan wrote (in the last 2 weeks) he is top 4 and an important PKer.
You delete your account.
If I can’t I’ll delete mine.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm pretty lukewarm on Kane. Chicago is going to want the trade to reflect that he's one of their all time best players, won 3 Cups, etc, but that's not who he is today.

I think the trade assets / capspace to get Kane could bring in multiple other pieces.

Tarasenko went for a cheaper price (depending how you view that trade) than people thought. Kane has all the leverage here too with his NMC.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This.

He's a decent PKer, but realistically he should be a #7D on most teams. There is very minimal upside with him. And the chances of him making a huge f***ing mistake in an important game are pretty damn high. What was it, game 6 ? Last year ? For whatever reason Keefe started him in Tampa and on the very first shift we got a goal against because of him.

Strange irrational hate.... he makes mistakes, and that's all that people remember. He's an otherwise solid #4, big RHD, not overly physical, plays the PK well. He will likely move on next year, get a $4-5 mil contract, and play well for another team. Yet, when Leafs fans look at other teams big RHD, who can PK, we get all lovesick over them, and are willing to send a ton of assets.

1676570858979.png

Note, Sandin's results are more of a usage, QoC than saying he's the best guy...

Last edited:

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
We don't have a Cale Makar :( Our approach is going to have to be a little different
We don’t have him either at the moment. I get your point though, he was a godsend of a fourth overall pick. I’m not sure how good of a d man is on the market at the moment. I think Chychrun would be a good add for Toronto.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just my opinion... Kane has a great career, and possibly his play this year can be explained by not really caring and playing with poor players. But what Toronto really needs, is a physical, bigger winger, who can score goals, more than another talented smaller guy. No disrespect at all to Kane intended, he's just not the need. Now, if we obtained that big winger, maybe you consider Kane, if the cost isn't that high... if he really only wants to come to Toronto. And by not high, I mean insultingly cheap, because we've spent our assets on that bigger LW, and don't really want to spend much more, but it's an offer that we can't turn down. I can appreciate why Chicago and their fans would laugh at such a proposal, but Kane isn't the need... maybe a want for some people, but most certainly not a need.

1676571100286.png

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How about a wager?
You just called me a liar.
If I can post a quote where a leaf fan wrote (in the last 2 weeks) he is top 4 and an important PKer.
You delete your account.
If I can’t I’ll delete mine.
This.

There was also the stupid penalty in game 7 that cost Tavares a goal, which would have made Rielly's goal a 2-1 goal not a 1-1 goal and then who knows what happens, but because Holl is an idiot we will never know

Just my opinion... Kane has a great career, and possibly his play this year can be explained by not really caring and playing with poor players. But what Toronto really needs, is a physical, bigger winger, who can score goals, more than another talented smaller guy. No disrespect at all to Kane intended, he's just not the need. Now, if we obtained that big winger, maybe you consider Kane, if the cost isn't that high... if he really only wants to come to Toronto. And by not high, I mean insultingly cheap, because we've spent our assets on that bigger LW, and don't really want to spend much more, but it's an offer that we can't turn down. I can appreciate why Chicago and their fans would laugh at such a proposal, but Kane isn't the need... maybe a want for some people, but most certainly not a need.

View attachment 651277

Kane is a top 6 forward therefore Kane is a need

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Yup, go to Toronto Kane, another soft player on the softest team in the league that will screw up their payroll situation ever more, which means they lose again and again in playoffs. Perfect.

What will be screwed up? Any big name player at this point is just a rental. Idk what your on about lol

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
I think you are really over-estimating Knies here.

Well the Hawks asking price became public at the end of January which was the equivalent of 3 First round picks.

Obviously they were not getting that but NYR did have discussions around Kane and felt the asking price was too high so went with Tarasenko.

Yahhh, I know. But how good for marketing would it be to have all-US, all-Canadian, and all-Swedish lines?!

Stylistically, Knies would fit really well on the line. But, yah, a lot to ask of a kid just getting out of college.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Steering back to the topic at hand.

With Kane's apparent health issues, the only way I could see Toronto trading for him would be a ratcheting series of conditional picks, similar to how Chicago acquired Timonen back in 2015.

(The below is not a value judgement, just an example)

Example:

:leafs

Patrick Kane (50% Retained)

:hawks
Alexander Kerfoot +

1 of the following

Toronto's 2023 2nd round pick
OR

Toronto's 2024 1st round pick (if Kane plays more than 4 games in the playoffs)
OR

Toronto's 2023 1st round pick (if Kane plays more than 8 games in the playoffs)

OR
Toronto's 2023 1st and 2024 2nd round pick (if Toronto makes the 2023 Cup Final)

Jun 27, 2005
Steering back to the topic at hand.

With Kane's apparent health issues, the only way I could see Toronto trading for him would be a ratcheting series of conditional picks, similar to how Chicago acquired Timonen back in 2015.

(The below is not a value judgement, just an example)

Example:

:leafs

Patrick Kane (50% Retained)

:hawks
Alexander Kerfoot +

1 of the following

Toronto's 2023 2nd round pick
OR

Toronto's 2024 1st round pick (if Kane plays more than 4 games in the playoffs)
OR

Toronto's 2023 1st round pick (if Kane plants more than 8 games in the playoffs)

OR
Toronto's 2023 1st and 2nd round pick (if Toronto makes the 2023 Cup Final)
As a Leaf fan I'm not interested in Kane, he might be cooked. But if the Leafs were I wouldn't tie team success to the Kane trade. Future picks would have to be based on Kane's performance not the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad