Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I loved on leafs lunch this week... their female host couldn't resist bringing up that all important question... who should get to hold the cup first and who should hand it off to marleau?

she laughed a bit... and said she was joking... but she brings it up 3 days despite gord miller telling her to stop it and she gets the guests involved... and she argues her case how nice it will be for the fans to see someone like riley saying something nice to marleau instead of bettman just being an outsider.

at least some of the leafs media are saying lets win a round of playoffs first before we plan the parade route. meanwhile I prepare to celebrate with glee as we knock them from the playoffs do to their horrific defense and rather average goaltending

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
I loved on leafs lunch this week... their female host couldn't resist bringing up that all important question... who should get to hold the cup first and who should hand it off to marleau?

she laughed a bit... and said she was joking... but she brings it up 3 days despite gord miller telling her to stop it and she gets the guests involved... and she argues her case how nice it will be for the fans to see someone like riley saying something nice to marleau instead of bettman just being an outsider.

at least some of the leafs media are saying lets win a round of playoffs first before we plan the parade route. meanwhile I prepare to celebrate with glee as we knock them from the playoffs do to their horrific defense and rather average goaltending

Was that Andi Petrillo? Annoying as hell. She still on HNIC? I remember watching her 2/3 years ago on HNIC and she was ranting on Marchand; came across as being silly

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
In franchise history, Bergy is 6th overall in goals (293), 7th in assists (447) and points (740), and 5th in games played (966). This at age 33, barely.
When all is said and done, he will be a hall of famer & his #37 jersey will go up the rafters.
He'd be even higher were it not for concussions and lockouts. :mad: But he should still be able to pass a few people.

He's tied with Bourque for third in GWG with 60.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
i really hope he has a Recchi type career effective into 40s. With his high iq i can see him still being effective as a 3rd line C and a great captain to mentor the kids

Thornton's 39, so it's certainly possible. And hell, Chara's 42 and a big body, and he's still managing it.

As long as Patrice's body holds up, there's nor reason that he couldn't do it. It'd be neat to see Old Man Bergy with steel gray whiskers, still schooling the young lads on his team while taking the puck off the young lads on the opposing team....

They really need to do some homework and find this guy's eventual replacement. I don't know where you even begin to start with that search though

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I really believe Bergeron is the greatest center of this generation but will never be seen that way because points are king.

I think he will be appreciated much more in retrospect.

His game is the type that needs attention to fully appreciate, his legend will grow after he's done.

Especially if this top line stays together for a few years and he gets to put up some gaudy offense and a few years at/around 1 ppg

Reactions: Tampbear

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Thornton's 39, so it's certainly possible. And hell, Chara's 42 and a big body, and he's still managing it.

As long as Patrice's body holds up, there's nor reason that he couldn't do it. It'd be neat to see Old Man Bergy with steel gray whiskers, still schooling the young lads on his team while taking the puck off the young lads on the opposing team....

They really need to do some homework and find this guy's eventual replacement. I don't know where you even begin to start with that search though

Well, Boston has had a couple of dynamic young centers in the fold/up for the taking the past few years, but they're not here... :(

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Well, Boston has had a couple of dynamic young centers in the fold/up for the taking the past few years, but they're not here... :(

IMO we're set for D's and Wingers for the next decade. All Sweeney has to do is load up on C's for the next 2-3 drafts and we "should" (fingers crossed) luck out on 1 maybe 2. If we draft a dozen C's you would hope that one pans out

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
He'd be even higher were it not for concussions and lockouts. :mad: But he should still be able to pass a few people.

He's tied with Bourque for third in GWG with 60.

I bet that he would have been already over a thousand points, had he not being nearly killed by that Flyers dude in his early 20s.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

Was coming here to post this. If you haven't clicked on this article and read it, it's eye opening and truly shows just how amazing Bergeron is. A poster further up said that he really thinks Bergeron is the best C of his generation but won't be recognized because he hasn't put up more than a ppg and has been a 55-70 point player mostly. I wouldn't say best C of his generation, hard to argue against Crosby, but after that, he's absolutely in the conversation. This article explains why.

Since 2013-2014, for example, the Bruins have controlled 58.8% of the shot attempts with Bergeron on the ice at 5-on-5. His relative Corsi in that time is +8.3%, which is comfortably ahead of the second-best relative Corsi in the league over that time, belonging to linemate Brad Marchand (+7.0 CFRel%).

So, we know that Bergeron dominates shot counts. Always has, seems like he always will. But it’s not like he’s lofting flip shots from centre ice to pad the shot totals. When it comes to relative expected goals percentage over that time frame, only Connor McDavid (+8.1 xGF%) ranks higher than Bergeron (+7.6 xGF%).

I might refer to him as the Corsi God, but Patrice Bergeron is a superstar and the Senators were on the receiving end of one of his standout performances.

Like are you kidding? Relative corsi of +8.3 since 2014... and the next player is at +7.0 which is massive gap, and it's Marchand who has such a high corsi in large part due to the dude at 8.3. The next paragraph is what really drives home his greatness. I've heard the argument about that not being indicative of much because it could be "low percentage garbage shots etc".... but when you see that over that time frame his relative expected goals percentage is second only to by far the most dynamic and skilled offensive player in the game today, that speaks volumes.

Please, if you don't already enjoy every single second he is on the ice and marvel in his sheer awesomeness, do yourself a favor and start doing it. I truly think you can make an argument that he's the best two-way C to have ever played the game and almost definitely the best defensive C ever. I wish I could freeze time for a myriad of reasons, but the main one is because I simply can't fathom the "Post Bergeron Era" and I never want to.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I really believe Bergeron is the greatest center of this generation but will never be seen that way because points are king.

Same. He epitomizes professionalism. On and off the ice. A truly remarkable young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad