Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Video from Bergeron's tournament. Largely in French, except for Malcolm Subban telling a kid reporter "sorry, I don't know how to answer in French" :laugh:

Other stuff:
It's weird to see players in Bruins and Sharks jerseys who have never played for those teams. Shark-Andre Fleury o_O and Gudas a Bruin.... Yes, THAT Gudas :eek:. At least Subban got to be a Bruin again...

Bergy had his son there. He looks good in a Bruins jersey already :D

Bergeron and Marchand both got on the ice with a mite team and were celebrating goals. Marchand fit right in, size wise ;)

There were some good shootout goals. I particularly liked Marchand falling down and still getting the goal

They had quite an impressive turnout. The crowd was very loud.

He’s simply perfect.

Nice to see Gagne doing well.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Patrice Bergeron is hands down my favorite athlete among all sports. He's just one of those rare guys that plays the game the right way and is an outstanding person off the ice. I'm not a big athletes as role models person, but for Bergy I make an exception.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Patrice Bergeron is hands down my favorite athlete among in sport. He's just one of those rare guys that plays the game the right way and is an outstanding person off the ice. I'm not a big athletes as role models person, but for Bergy I make an exception.

agreed

I know we are a ways from it yet but wonder what his aspirations will be post career? He`s an intelligent person who, I think, if he wanted to might be one of those solid candidates to learn the role of a GM if that`s what he aspires to or other admin jobs

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
agreed

I know we are a ways from it yet but wonder what his aspirations will be post career? He`s an intelligent person who, I think, if he wanted to might be one of those solid candidates to learn the role of a GM if that`s what he aspires to or other admin jobs

I agree. I think both he or Chara could go on and head down a road of working to become NHL coaches or GM's. Imagine the legacy Bergy could leave (which is already going to be amazing) if after he retired he became the Bruins bench boss.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree. I think both he or Chara could go on and head down a road of working to become NHL coaches or GM's. Imagine the legacy Bergy could leave (which is already going to be amazing) if after he retired he became the Bruins bench boss.

kind of in the ilk of Yzerman, both Z and Bergy, I would think would seamlessly slide into post career positions and talk about two great guys to have around the organization too

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Hell, let's go one further, how about Bergie and Chara taking ownership of the B's? (Pipe dream...)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
kind of in the ilk of Yzerman, both Z and Bergy, I would think would seamlessly slide into post career positions and talk about two great guys to have around the organization too
I would hope neither pull an Yzerman and decide to pursue post-career employment with any team other than Boston, though.

But if they did, I think Nashville would be an excellent location. :sarcasm:

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
LA Kings fan coming in peace. I lived in Boston for 15 years and had 12 and then later 10 game packs to the Bruins for a number of years. I have watched an enormous amount of Bruins hockey ... my favorite line was probably the Nylander-Bergeron-Samsonov line from the ill-fated 03-04 team.

With that said I have a question about Bergeron's usage. His defensive zone starts hovered around 55% while Julien was the coach. But over the past two years his defensive zone starts have fallen to 45% two years ago to 40% this past year. I'm not questioning his ability as a defensive center, he is exceptional. But with that in mind why is Cassidy using him this way? It seems his elite defense would be better suited to the numbers Julien was using.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
LA Kings fan coming in peace. I lived in Boston for 15 years and had 12 and then later 10 game packs to the Bruins for a number of years. I have watched an enormous amount of Bruins hockey ... my favorite line was probably the Nylander-Bergeron-Samsonov line from the ill-fated 03-04 team.

With that said I have a question about Bergeron's usage. His defensive zone starts hovered around 55% while Julien was the coach. But over the past two years his defensive zone starts have fallen to 45% two years ago to 40% this past year. I'm not questioning his ability as a defensive center, he is exceptional. But with that in mind why is Cassidy using him this way? It seems his elite defense would be better suited to the numbers Julien was using.

I'm not sure it exactly started with Cassidy but the Bergeron line has been given the majority of the offensive opportunities since they became a super line. Under Julien, it was more so the Krejci line that was considered the 1st line when the team had guys like Lucic, Horton and Iginla to play with him. Since then Bergeron has been given the opportunity of a real 1st line center rather than the 1b/2nd line center role he had in the past.

This is most reflected in their powerplay time and overall TOI the last couple of seasons.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Cassidy has been using him more in offensive situations and the results have been phenomenal - Bergeron has 100 points in 100 games ( all under Cassidy ) while still being the best defensive center in the league.

Cassidy still puts Bergeron out in late game situations to hold the lead or in other important situations where it calls for having Bergeron out there. But overall, the Bergeron line has been giving traditional 1st line usage without missing a step in their two way responsibilities, because regardless of where they start play, Bergeron will be in all three zones doing what he does best.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Playing a defensively sound 200 foot game shutting down other teams top players, battling through tough faceoffs, while also expected to contribute as a top point-getter, is more physically draining than what most of his teammates experience.
Bergeron is a warrior in great shape, but IMO at 33 Cassidy needs to start adjusting the load (defensively or offensively) slightly so he's not wiped or injured come playoffs.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Playing a defensively sound 200 foot game shutting down other teams top players, battling through tough faceoffs, while also expected to contribute as a top point-getter, is more physically draining than what most of his teammates experience.
Bergeron is a warrior in great shape, but IMO at 33 Cassidy needs to start adjusting the load (defensively or offensively) slightly so he's not wiped or injured come playoffs.
I agree. The broken foot last year was almost a blessing a disguise, because although that's a lousy way to get time off, I think he was pretty well rested for the playoffs, and you see how well he did then. He definitely does not play easy minutes. I get tired just watching him :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I would hope neither pull an Yzerman and decide to pursue post-career employment with any team other than Boston, though.

But if they did, I think Nashville would be an excellent location. :sarcasm:

while I understand what you are saying, Yzerman spent years learning the craft next to Holland who appears to be never leaving Detroit

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
agreed

What leads you to believe he would be a candidate for GM? What makes you think he's an intelligent person? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just wonder why you feel this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad