sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
15th overall
Kerfoot/Johnsson
Liljegren/Dermott
Bracco

Or

A deal revolving around Nylander

Both more than comparable to other teams(fans) proposals.

Oh wait, my bad. I get it. I’m a Leafs fan so automatically, my proposal is crap. Forgot how HF boards works...

I'll remind you how it works. Leafs fans come in and offer something that nobody on the other side wants, then lecture them about unrealistic asks. But something tells me that type of "realistic" offer doesn't go over very well in Nylander trade threads....

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Average. Funny. By his 20th birthday he won a Memorial Cup, WJC gold, and Stanley Cup. Was OHL Playoff MVP when he won 2nd OHL title. I suppose he is pacing to be average Hall of Famer if he continues this trajectory. Is that what you meant?
He was one player on a good blues team and lots of junior players with stronger resumes have average careers... Some other notable memorial cup MVPs in the last decade include Sam steel, Dylan Strome, Edgar kulda and Michael Chaput Shawinigain. Such HOF class right there. What's he done as a NHL besides shotgun on a good blues team?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
if you ask for parayko, who is immovable, you definitely have to move your practically immovable futures or someone else does the deal.

The entire premise of this thread is that Parayko is the odd man out to accommodate Pietrangelo.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don’t think we should trade him at all so I don’t have an answer there for you. I’d probably do a more futures based blue chip prospect and draft pick based deal for him then if that’s the constraint on acquiring a roster player if I was ever in some dire situation to move him

How much more "blue chip" do you think you can get than 15th OA and Liljegren? Just because those names are thrown out there quite often by Leafs fans, doesn't make them any less valuable.

Remember, the teams that have top 10 picks typically are not very good. They're not 1-2 pieces away from contending, and aren't going to trade one or multiple of those high end pieces with 7 years of upside for a guy who's in his prime, and a UFA in 2 years.

If you look at this year's draft; you might be able to convince Buffalo, Minnesota or Winnipeg to move their picks.... but 8 is likely the highest you're going to go; and personally I think it's a stretch. We are entering an era where the cap could be flat for 3-4-5 years. High end picks, and the ELCs they turn into, are going to be incredibly valuable. The concept of trading one/multiple of those to add a $5.5m player is short sighted, to say the least.

I also doubt any of those teams is also going to include a former 17th OA right shot defenceman that's ready to break into the NHL.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
and only toronto can make an offer? with your top prospects off the table the offer will beaten easily by one of the other 29 teams.

Nobody is going to include their #1 prospect for him... teams just generally don't do that.... unless they really have absolutely no focus on developing youth.

It's not a case where "Parayko isn't good enough" -- it's simply a reality that teams generally do not trade the 1-2 guys that they are "highest on".

Gotta remember that ultimately, trades involve people, and individual assessments of a player. Taking the Leafs as an example, if you ascertain that the Blues need/want/will get an NHL-ready prospect defenceman as part of the deal... you've got Sandin & Liljegren.

In Sandin, you have Kyle Dubas' first draft pick. A guy that played for Dubas' junior team. A guy that has done nothing but impress since being drafted 29th OA. You want him? Well Kyle Dubas REALLY doesn't want to trade him, which means that even if you convince him to, you're not going to get much else out of the deal.

In Liljegren, you've got somebody who was drafted by the old guy. He hasn't quite impressed as much, and is likely in need of a change of scenery. Yeah, you'll trade him to get Parayko, and you'll also include the 15th

OA. On paper, 15th OA and Liljegren is certainly more value, it's more upside, but it allows the GM to keep the guy who he's emotionally attached to. Armstrong doesn't have an attachment to either of the players -- so everyone goes away happy.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Nobody is going to include their #1 prospect for him... teams just generally don't do that.... unless they really have absolutely no focus on developing youth.

It's not a case where "Parayko isn't good enough" -- it's simply a reality that teams generally do not trade the 1-2 guys that they are "highest on".
Look buddy if you or your team doesn't want to offer what is needed another team will. Its just that simple esoecially for a unicorn like parayko.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
How much more "blue chip" do you think you can get than 15th OA and Liljegren? Just because those names are thrown out there quite often by Leafs fans, doesn't make them any less valuable.

Remember, the teams that have top 10 picks typically are not very good. They're not 1-2 pieces away from contending, and aren't going to trade one or multiple of those high end pieces with 7 years of upside for a guy who's in his prime, and a UFA in 2 years.

If you look at this year's draft; you might be able to convince Buffalo, Minnesota or Winnipeg to move their picks.... but 8 is likely the highest you're going to go; and personally I think it's a stretch. We are entering an era where the cap could be flat for 3-4-5 years. High end picks, and the ELCs they turn into, are going to be incredibly valuable. The concept of trading one/multiple of those to add a $5.5m player is short sighted, to say the least.

I also doubt any of those teams is also going to include a former 17th OA right shot defenceman that's ready to break into the NHL.
Bouchard (better than liljgren) lavoie 14ova

That so far is the deal to beat. Also ottowa put out there 5ova +. So you lose the bid

Reactions: Luckylarry

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Liljgren is a good prospect but he just isn't that highly toated

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would consider that, but I doubt the Leafs brass do.
I was simply pointing out Toronto does have assets St. Louis would be interested in, and responding to your comment, “Just close it. Toronto doesn't have anything that interests me for Paryako.”

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We could trade Bozak, Schwartz, Steen, Gunnarsson, etc. We might have to sweeten the pot to move some of them, but it would be better than trading Parayko.

Of course Steen is going to have to go. But after that, those deals will begin to hurt a lot more than moving Parayko -- especially considering they'll be without Tarasenko for a good chunk of the year.

Bouchard (better than liljgren) lavoie 14ova

That so far is the deal to beat. Also ottowa put out there 5ova +. So you lose the bid

Go float that on the Edmonton board and see what they think... Bouchard is likely going to step in this year and fill an immediate need for them at $900k.

As for Ottawa, anyone that thinks they're going to part with a 5th OA to pay a guy $5.5m to walk in 2 years is completely out to lunch. The Sens are going to do what they always do and look for value pickups -- whether they can get somebody to compensate them for taking on a high-cap hit / low salary player (Steen comes to mind); or somebody in the 22-25 year old range that they can acquire for mid-round picks, and best case have a long term player, worst case, have some deadline pieces to move in a year or two.

Liljgren is a good prospect but he just isn't that highly toated

Maybe not, that's why you're also likely to get a 15th OA and a roster forward.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Of course Steen is going to have to go. But after that, those deals will begin to hurt a lot more than moving Parayko -- especially considering they'll be without Tarasenko for a good chunk of the year.

Go float that on the Edmonton board and see what they think... Bouchard is likely going to step in this year and fill an immediate need for them at $900k.

As for Ottawa, anyone that thinks they're going to part with a 5th OA to pay a guy $5.5m to walk in 2 years is completely out to lunch. The Sens are going to do what they always do and look for value pickups -- whether they can get somebody to compensate them for taking on a high-cap hit / low salary player (Steen comes to mind); or somebody in the 22-25 year old range that they can acquire for mid-round picks, and best case have a long term player, worst case, have some deadline pieces to move in a year or two.

Yes a roster forward we dont need nor want and that makes the point of trading parayko for cap purposes moot

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

So an edmfans that are ok with that here dont matter cause you want to offer beans for one of the best rhd . Sounds about right. Bro just stop your bad offer will be out done by 29 other teams. No need to be bhurt about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad