Value of: Parayko

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Right but he is more than enough with 15 ova for parayko plus a crap throw in lol.

Yeah, and consider that the pick is what they got for Kapanen, it's basically the same as the offers they were pushing last year.

Every day is Groundhog Day in Parayko threads.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What about Marner, especially if the Leafs retain 2 million?

That's insanity.

A 22 year old old 94pt forward for 9 million/5 years for a 27 year old defensive defenceman for 5.5 million/2 years.

Head to head value is debatable, but when you add in retention, years of control, and age....awful asset management.

They may as well deal Sandin for a rental too if they go this route.

I want Parayko badly, but I don't want to be the team that overpays for him and then either loses him in 2 years or needs to resign him for some absurd number like 8 million x 7.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That's insanity.

A 22 year old old 94pt forward for 9 million/5 years for a 27 year old defensive defenceman for 5.5 million/2 years.

Head to head value is debatable, but when you add in retention, years of control, and age....awful asset management.

I want Parayko badly, but I don't want to be the team that overpays for him and then either loses him in 2 years or needs to resign him for some absurd number like 8 million x 7.
He will never get 8 9 million he doesn't put up the points. But he is the best rhd at his pay right now. I'm not saying you should. Are that offer. But when you have most of the teams that would love to have parayko the price goes up its a sellers market for his skills

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's insanity.

I think you edited the context my post.
It was a response to a another poster who suggested the Leafs had nothing the Blues would want in trade fir Parayko.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yeah, and consider that the pick is what they got for Kapanen, it's basically the same as the offers they were pushing last year.

Every day is Groundhog Day in Parayko threads.
Yeah I think its clear that a ton of teams are willing to pay more than the crap offer toronto fans are wanting to part with. So we can close the thread knowing that he would get a haul. Also blues would never trade him.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He will never get 8 9 million he doesn't put up the points. But he is the best rhd at his pay right now. I'm not saying you should. Are that offer. But when you have most of the teams that would love to have parayko the price goes up its a sellers market for his skills

In that case, I am happy to look for a lower costing option or an option with more years of control. Hoping Dubas feels the same way.

Blues should just keep him, although I guess they become like the mirror of Toronto in that case in terms of salary commitments, with theirs being with the D. I suppose Parayko's value only goes down from here on out as he gets closer to UFA.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
In that case, I am happy to look for a lower costing option or an option with more years of control. Hoping Dubas feels the same way.

Blues should just keep him, although I guess they become like the mirror of Toronto in that case in terms of salary commitments, with theirs being with the D. I suppose Parayko's value only goes down from here on out as he gets closer to UFA.
Unless blues sign and trade or offer him an extension. I also think dubas should look elsewhere for cheaper talent or draft one. At this point the blues wouldn't trade parayko unless an offer knocked thier socks off. I think parayko will resign next summer with. Very good extension

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Unless blues sign and trade or offer him an extension. I also think dubas should look elsewhere for cheaper talent or draft one. So far every cheap option he has gotten has been a dumpster fire. Sometimes you just can't get quantity over quality.

I mean Muzzin has been very good, and he did not cost Marner. I would love to find more Muzzins. Only other trade was Barrie, and that just sucked.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
How much more "blue chip" do you think you can get than 15th OA and Liljegren? Just because those names are thrown out there quite often by Leafs fans, doesn't make them any less valuable.

Remember, the teams that have top 10 picks typically are not very good. They're not 1-2 pieces away from contending, and aren't going to trade one or multiple of those high end pieces with 7 years of upside for a guy who's in his prime, and a UFA in 2 years.

If you look at this year's draft; you might be able to convince Buffalo, Minnesota or Winnipeg to move their picks.... but 8 is likely the highest you're going to go; and personally I think it's a stretch. We are entering an era where the cap could be flat for 3-4-5 years. High end picks, and the ELCs they turn into, are going to be incredibly valuable. The concept of trading one/multiple of those to add a $5.5m player is short sighted, to say the least.

I also doubt any of those teams is also going to include a former 17th OA right shot defenceman that's ready to break into the NHL.

I get what you’re saying but it’s Colton Parayko, he could fetch better than that. All the talk has been about Marner for Parayko.

u wouldn’t move Marner for anything close to that package would you?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think you edited the context my post.
It was a response to a another poster who suggested the Leafs had nothing the Blues would want in trade fir Parayko.

Oh ya, just checked it again, I see now.

I love when fans say "team X has nothing we could want". What a joke.

As if Armstrong wouldn't be interested in Marner, Nylander, Robertson, Sandin, 15th overall, Liljegren, etc.

But hey, I guess they instead trade for some more Faulks?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
He was one player on a good blues team and lots of junior players with stronger resumes have average careers... Some other notable memorial cup MVPs in the last decade include Sam steel, Dylan Strome, Edgar kulda and Michael Chaput Shawinigain. Such HOF class right there. What's he done as a NHL besides shotgun on a good blues team?

He made a Stanley Cup winning roster as a 19 year old? That's pretty impressive in itself.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I get what you’re saying but it’s Colton Parayko, he could fetch better than that. All the talk has been about Marner for Parayko.

u wouldn’t move Marner for anything close to that package would you?

Maybe in this thread... but it's facetious to say the best.

The entire premise of moving Parayko is cap space & roster balance. The parameters of a deal have to be a $3-4m player (probably a forward) and futures.

As of right now, the Leafs wouldn't even entertain a Marner discussion. The guy is a 90 point forward, who when paired with Tavares saw him score 47 goals; when paired with Matthews, was on his way to 55 before the pandemic hit.

If they're signing Pietrangelo, then maybe trading Marner makes sense, but even in that case, you're probably looking at $6-8m forward coming back in the deal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I think its clear that a ton of teams are willing to pay more than the crap offer toronto fans are wanting to part with. So we can close the thread knowing that he would get a haul. Also blues would never trade him.
Where are those offers? In your imagination?

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Honestly, I don't really see many other fanbases offering more than 15+top prospect+roster player unless I am missing something?

Muzzin got later 1st+C prospect+D prospect with 1.5 years left.

Parayko is an all around upgrade, and the offers have been 15th (higher pick) + Sandin (B propsect) + Johnsson (better than a D prospect).

I don't think I would trade Parayko for that either but it's not as far off as you make it sound.

If Parayko was extended to a non-ludicrous deal around 6.5, then you might get the haul you are imagining (top flight 95pt roster player under age 30).

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Oh ya, just checked it again, I see now.

I love when fans say "team X has nothing we could want". What a joke.

As if Armstrong wouldn't be interested in Marner, Nylander, Robertson, Sandin, 15th overall, Liljegren, etc.

But hey, I guess they instead trade for some more Faulks?

Nobody said the Leafs have nothing the Blues would want. You're taking it out of context. The quote was nothing the Blues would want for Parayko.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Toronto gets Parayko for cheap or it takes Pietro in free agency for nothing.
totally foolish
Blues have several other options to come up w/another 5ishm to add to what they are already paying AP.

As I have posted in other threads, the only way I move Parayko is if a prospect like Bouchard, Byram, Seiden, or Broberg is coming back. Toronto doesn't have a prospect like that, so no deal. If it came right down to it, I would rather keep Parayko and let Pietrangelo walk if it became a choice of those two options.

underline:
1 - it is the total return and also how well it fits. Obv a prospect of that level ilk helps a lot, but you are asking, in a flat cap covid depressed environment, for teams to give up elc/exp dr exempt guys of which there are no surplus. Now, don't get me wrong. For Parayko, it is a justified ask. But it is difficult to oblige.

bold
2 Agree for the same reason, youth and cheaper contract usually accompanying is what commands, but not nec your only option.

So you're suggesting Faulk is enough negative value that Parayko's wouldn't even cover it?
7 yrs at 6+ vs stud at 5.5 x 2, risk he could walk.
does not cover AINEC

I agree, Simon you know I am a stout parayko guy. Would never want to trade him. For some reason we did to sign petro. I would want the following. I know it doesn't seem like enough but I think it has value. What do you think.

Bouchard, lavoie, 14th ova
For
Parayko small add.

Bouchard is nhl ready and can replace faulk in a year as 2rhd when we move him to Seattle (hopefully)
Lavoie looks really good needs some seasoning with his defensive skills but nhl ready.

My question is who would be your top three possibles at 14ova and 26ova.

Just curious.

Bouchard + Broberg + 14OA + 2021 EDM 1st
for
Parayko + StL 2021 1st

that would get it done. Bro takes sting out of moving Scandella if nec. And Rangers should be able to offer you a fair deal for Broberg.

if you ask for parayko, who is immovable, you definitely have to move your practically immovable futures or someone else does the deal.
Depends on totality of circumstances and what pieces make best total offer, which may or may not be the immovable.

Rangers do not want Faulk, but if 3 way were worked out beforehand could see:
Faulk 6.5 x 7 reduced to 4.5
Rangers then retain again to 2.25, flip to Leafs
Leafs have at set 2.25 x 7

But while taking on Faulk at 2.5 but sub term is cheap buy for RD desperate leafs, maybe even Rangers pay small b'c despite term now $ is only 2.25.

However, for NY to do all that and drop all those mils, esp in current environment, signif return would be required including Parayko.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
totally foolish
Blues have several other options to come up w/another 5ishm to add to what they are already paying AP.

underline:
1 - it is the total return and also how well it fits. Obv a prospect of that level ilk helps a lot, but you are asking, in a flat cap covid depressed environment, for teams to give up elc/exp dr exempt guys of which there are no surplus. Now, don't get me wrong. For Parayko, it is a justified ask. But it is difficult to oblige.

bold
2 Agree for the same reason, youth and cheaper contract usually accompanying is what commands, but not nec your only option.

7 yrs at 6+ vs stud at 5.5 x 2, risk he could walk.
does not cover AINEC

Bouchard + Broberg + 14OA + 2021 EDM 1st
for
Parayko + StL 2021 1st

that would get it done. Bro takes sting out of moving Scandella if nec. And Rangers should be able to offer you a fair deal for Broberg.

Depends on totality of circumstances and what pieces make best total offer, which may or may not be the immovable.

Rangers do not want Faulk, but if 3 way were worked out beforehand could see:
Faulk 6.5 x 7 reduced to 4.5
Rangers then retain again to 2.25, flip to Leafs
Leafs have at set 2.25 x 7

But while taking on Faulk at 2.5 but sub term is cheap buy for RD desperate leafs, maybe even Rangers pay small b'c despite term now $ is only 2.25.

However, for NY to do all that and drop all those mils, esp in current environment, signif return would be required including Parayko.

That seems like a very very steep price for 2 years of Parayko, in my opinion. Step in the wrong direction for Edmonton in my mind.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Honestly, I don't really see many other fanbases offering more than 15+top prospect+roster player unless I am missing something?

Muzzin got later 1st+C prospect+D prospect with 1.5 years left.

Parayko is an all around upgrade, and the offers have been 15th (higher pick) + Sandin (B propsect) + Johnsson (better than a D prospect).

I don't think I would trade Parayko for that either but it's not as far off as you make it sound.

If Parayko was extended to a non-ludicrous deal around 6.5, then you might get the haul you are imagining (top flight 95pt roster player under age 30).

I like the way this guy thinks. So we can trade that 15th with Perunovich and Sanford for an even BETTER defenseman than Parayko. Send it in.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That seems like a very very steep price for 2 years of Parayko, in my opinion. Step in the wrong direction for Edmonton in my mind.

If I were Blues GM, I would allow you to talk to his agent so you could be advised as to extent he might stay home in EDM and not test UFA.
But Parayko is not gonna be made available, and if he were it would be very, very expensive.
And for a stud all star quality D, I would want, as currency I see is best you have to offer, Broberg + Bouchard + +.
It is steep, but don't forget bidding would be crazy high.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
totally foolish
Of the contracts 3MM and up,
Binnington is clear of covenants as is O'reilly and Parayko
4 NTC worth 26.3MM.
4 M-NTC worth 17.6MM

Not a lot of options

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If I were Blues GM, I would allow you to talk to his agent so you could be advised as to extent he might stay home in EDM and not test UFA.
But Parayko is not gonna be made available, and if he were it would be very, very expensive.
And for a stud all star quality D, I would want, as currency I see is best you have to offer, Broberg + Bouchard + +.
It is steep, but don't forget bidding would be crazy high.

It would be steep, but when was the last time a package of 2 A Prospects, a top 15 pick and another 1st were sent for a 27 year old player with 2 years left on their deal?

It's just way too much. I imagine something around Bouchard+1st would get pretty close on it's own. Even then, I wonder if it's worth it for Edmonton to trade away 6 years of control of Bouchard and another high pick for 2 years of Parayko.

If Parayko was signed, obviously the value changes quite a bit depending on the quality of the contract. If Faulk got 6.5, is it really a stretch that Parayko asks for 7.5-8?

If that happens, you start to look at Trouba's return as a potential guide for the deal and that is a far cry from what is being asked for in this thread.

Reactions: zar

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Of the contracts 3MM and up,
Binnington is clear of covenants as is O'reilly and Parayko
4 NTC worth 26.3MM.
4 M-NTC worth 17.6MM

Not a lot of options

Tons of options. To say we can't move bozak is completly by seeing as allen moved very easily. Then we have a ton of other options including buying out contracts. Blues are not in as bad situation as hfboarders think they are so they can swoop in and steal great players or picks for nothing.

Reactions: bernmeister

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Tons of options. To say we can't move bozak is completly by seeing as allen moved very easily. Then we have a ton of other options including buying out contracts. Blues are not in as bad situation as hfboarders think they are so they can swoop in and steal great players or picks for nothing.

I agree with that, except the last part. No one is expecting to swoop in and steal players for nothing. Most teams just aren't willing to mortgage their future for a guy with 2 years remaining and who very likely wants a massive raise on his next contract to make up for the sweetheart deal he's been on for the last few years.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It would be steep, but when was the last time a package of 2 A Prospects, a top 15 pick and another 1st were sent for a 27 year old player with 2 years left on their deal?

It's just way too much. I imagine something around Bouchard+1st would get pretty close on it's own. Even then, I wonder if it's worth it for Edmonton to trade away 6 years of control of Bouchard and another high pick for 2 years of Parayko.

If Parayko was signed, obviously the value changes quite a bit depending on the quality of the contract. If Faulk got 6.5, is it really a stretch that Parayko asks for 7.5-8?

If that happens, you start to look at Trouba's return as a potential guide for the deal and that is a far cry from what is being asked for in this thread.
When was the last time a 27 year old stud shut down dman that gets 35 points has a crazy under utilized shot and never gets pp time or offensive zone starts. A guy 6'6" fast great skater and can handle every type of player. A true unicorn ever been available.

Just hasn't happened. Every team wants him so you will have a bidding war. Oh did I mention he rarely ever misses a game. In his first 4 seasons he played 322 out of 328 games thats 98% of his games. I didn't factor in last year not sure how many games blues played off the top of my head.

Thats reliable solid dman.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
When was the last time a 27 year old stud shut down dman that gets 35 points has a crazy under utilized shot and never gets pp time or offensive zone starts. A guy 6'6" fast great skater and can handle every type of player. A true unicorn ever been available.

Just hasn't happened. Every team wants him so you will have a bidding war. Oh did I mention he rarely ever misses a game. In his first 4 seasons he played 322 out of 328 games thats 98% of his games. I didn't factor in last year not sure how many games blues played off the top of my head.

Thats reliable solid dman.

I agree with all of that, however, can you show me another fan base offering more than 15th overall+A prospect (Sandin)+roster player?

If St. Louis can do better than that, Armstrong should go for it.

I think the same reasons Blues fans might be considering trading him are the same reasons other fanbases are hesitant to give up their farms for him - he might be asking for 7.5-8 million for 7 years on his next deal. All of a sudden this incredibly valuable unicorn becomes a significant cap commitment late into his 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->