Value of: Parayko

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He was one player on a good blues team and lots of junior players with stronger resumes have average careers... Some other notable memorial cup MVPs in the last decade include Sam steel, Dylan Strome, Edgar kulda and Michael Chaput Shawinigain. Such HOF class right there. What's he done as a NHL besides shotgun on a good blues team?
He is 3rd in his draft class in points. He ain’t just coasting off junior career. Nice try.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I agree with all of that, however, can you show me another fan base offering more than 15th overall+A prospect (Sandin)+roster player?

If St. Louis can do better than that, Armstrong should go for it.

I think the same reasons Blues fans might be considering trading him are the same reasons other fanbases are hesitant to give up their farms for him - he might be asking for 7.5-8 million for 7 years on his next deal. All of a sudden this incredibly valuable unicorn becomes a significant cap commitment late into his 30s.

First off the blues do not need a roster player. The idea is if they trade parayko it is because the vlues free up cap to sign petro dunn and sxhwartz next season. That was the premise no salary coming back and yes edm fans have said they would do.

Bouchard ( way better than liljgren and sandin plus rhd) lavoie great center prospect and 14ova. That beats tor. Ott has offered 5ova + .

So yes there have been several better options.

Johnson, dermott do nothing and add cap. Essentially we only gain 2mil. We can just buy out steen and save more. We can trade dunn for futures and save more. Thats my point

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Depends on totality of circumstances and what pieces make best total offer, which may or may not be the immovable.

Rangers do not want Faulk, but if 3 way were worked out beforehand could see:
Faulk 6.5 x 7 reduced to 4.5
Rangers then retain again to 2.25, flip to Leafs
Leafs have at set 2.25 x 7

But while taking on Faulk at 2.5 but sub term is cheap buy for RD desperate leafs, maybe even Rangers pay small b'c despite term now $ is only 2.25.

However, for NY to do all that and drop all those mils, esp in current environment, signif return would be required including Parayko.
you can't retain more than 50% on a contract, even if it is split between more than one team. max retention on the faulk contract is 3.25m.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
First off the blues do not need a roster player. The idea is if they trade parayko it is because the vlues free up cap to sign petro dunn and sxhwartz next season. That was the premise no salary coming back and yes edm fans have said they would do.

Bouchard ( way better than liljgren and sandin plus rhd) lavoie great center prospect and 14ova. That beats tor. Ott has offered 5ova + .

So yes there have been several better options.

Johnson, dermott do nothing and add cap. Essentially we only gain 2mil. We can just buy out steen and save more. We can trade dunn for futures and save more. Thats my point

Any Ottawa fan that has offered 5th overall for a 27 year old defencemen with 2 years of control has lost their mind.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
He is 3rd in his draft class in points. He ain’t just coasting off junior career. Nice try.
Plus thomas has had meh for line partners over last two years. Maroon, bozak ect. Yet he made that line amazing in the cup run. He as on fire last year before shutdown. If you actually watch him play he is crazy good. Would love to see him with a healthy tarasenko and schwartz. Move schenn to the perron orielly line and sandfors to third line.

Its funny thomas on third line minutes very little powerplay time had 42 points as center. Nylander (winger) on top line, ton of pp time only got 59 points. One makes 7mil the other 900k. One is 21 the other is 24.

But yeah he is coasting lol. These people kill me

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Any Ottawa fan that has offered 5th overall for a 27 year old defencemen with 2 years of control has lost their mind.
You say that but ottawa is tired of losing they have chabot ktchuck and many others ready to compete. Could you imagine chabot with parayko on top line. Thats crazy good. I think merlin that you just are unwilling to pay the piper for parayko. So are you under valuing parayko or is everyone else over valuing him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
You say that but ottawa is tired of losing they have chabot ktchuck and many others ready to compete. Could you imagine chabot with parayko on top line. Thats crazy good. I think merlin that you just are unwilling to pay the piper for parayko. So are you under valuing parayko or is everyone else over valuing him.

It would make more sense for ottawa to negotiate this deal with st louis in one year, when they would be able to extend parayko.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

You think a rebuilding team should spend a 5th overall pick on a player with 2 years of control?

Maybe if Parayko was signed, but how often do we see that???

Not to mention, Melnyk is not exactly jumping at the idea of signing players for 7-9 million.

edit: I made a poll to see what people think: Would you trade 5th overall for Parayko? - I am open to being wrong.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It would make more sense for ottawa to negotiate this deal with st louis in one year, when they would be able to extend parayko.
Yes but in one year blues will have either already signed petro or committed to parayko as #1rhd. So following the premise blues wouldn't trade him in a year. If they had to he would already be gone

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
7 yrs at 6+ vs stud at 5.5 x 2, risk he could walk.
does not cover AINEC
giphy.gif

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yes but in one year blues will have either already signed petro or committed to parayko as #1rhd. So following the premise blues wouldn't trade him in a year. If they had to he would already be gone

Then ottawa shouldn't acquire him.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I love Parayko too, I would just be very weary of giving up one of the kids who are locked up with term for him. Nylander would be the only realistic option, but I see him being a 35g/70pt C in the near future and they will regret moving him down the road.
How does adding cap help the Blues sign Parayko? The entire premise behind making him available.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How does adding cap help the Blues sign Parayko? The entire premise behind making him available.

That's true. I think it will be hard to find a good value trade where salaries even out in this case.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Pretty much this... 15th OA + Liljegren + Johnsson.... currency in the form of a top end pick, a young guy with big upside that will challenge for a spot right away, and a young forward that has realistic 20+ goal, 50-point upside for $3.4m over the next 3 years. Ideal depth with Tarasenko out, and likely a guy who can backfill the likes of Steen/Schwartz for a fraction of the cost.
15th is a good piece, but not a great piece. Lilj is still an unknow, probably top 4 in the NHL but far from a sure thing, AJ is an average 2/3 winger. These aren't the pieces a premiere player get traded for. 15+Lilj+more than AJ I would think would be the ask.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
you can't retain more than 50% on a contract, even if it is split between more than one team. max retention on the faulk contract is 3.25m.

unless rules have been changed, and my understanding is they recently renewed more or less the whole existing shebang, I am correct.
It is a max of 2 retentions.
It is NOT a max of 2 retentions which can not exceed 50% total.
It is a max of 50% per each retention.
also
one cannot be less than 50% and the other can be over to average 50% each.

It is a hard actual 50% max each retention.
As applies here:

part of value is Blues not asked to go full pop 50%.
Asked to eat only 2m of 6.5, reducing to 4.5
When Rangers flip, that is only 2.25 per for NYR and acquiring partner
However, the term is still a huge killer.

Also, NY would have to be paid for taking on risk.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
You don't trade an 18 year old potential team cornerstone for 15 years and under team control for the next decade for 2 guaranteed years of parayko.
You also don't find defenders like parayko. The moment he hit the nhl he has been the eye candy of everyone. Its kinda funny

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
15th is a good piece, but not a great piece. Lilj is still an unknow, probably top 4 in the NHL but far from a sure thing, AJ is an average 2/3 winger. These aren't the pieces a premiere player get traded for. 15+Lilj+more than AJ I would think would be the ask.

This isn't a situation where the Blues can do a 1-for-1 deal.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
@Colt55 What was your thoughts on the small add on the Blues side for the Oilers trade?

Bouchard, Lavoie, 14th OA
for
Parayko and _______

Depends do you want a dman center or forward prospect

We have reinke peronovich (d) alexandrov c and several forward propsects

Kostin kyrou are not prospects nor are they available. My thought would be to add alexandrov who is about a year behind lavoie.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Depends do you want a dman center or forward prospect

We have reinke peronovich (d) alexandrov c and several forward propsects

Kostin kyrou are not prospects nor are they available. My thought would be to add alexandrov who is about a year behind lavoie.

I'd do it for Alexandrov. It's a lot of futures from the Oilers, but it's a huge win-now and I would be confident in re-signing Parayko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad