OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No idea why they don't wear the gun metal jerseys ~2x a year. The players loved them, the fans loved them and then they just disappeared. I guess Braley wasn't a fan and he doesn't care about increasing revenue by selling more jerseys? They could tweak it to make the numbers more visible from afar.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was truly willing to give it a chance, then I saw 3 fumbles in 5 minutes, and that was enough.

Side note, for as much crap the CFL (deservedly) got for their US expansion, I have to chuckle that all these spring leagues, XFL, UFL, all AAF have all gone back to the same cities, minus Shreveport.
Edit: I take that back. The USFL went to most of them first.

What channel is it on? I've tried to catch a game but haven't been able to find it on TV.

Also, did you hear the reports that the AAF didn't even make payroll for week 1? They blamed it on a glitch, but were close to missing payroll for week 2 as well until Tom Dundon bailed them out with a $250m investment yesterday. :laugh:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What channel is it on? I've tried to catch a game but haven't been able to find it on TV.

Also, did you hear the reports that the AAF didn't even make payroll for week 1? They blamed it on a glitch, but were close to missing payroll for week 2 as well until Tom Dundon bailed them out with a $250m investment yesterday. :laugh:

They have full game's up for free on their website if you click on the game summary but I have no idea where you'd watch it live; that's if you've even want to. I'm not the hugest football fan but I picked a game with a close score to watch and it was painful. I get that it's early and teams don't have schemes and plays down just yet, but it's a sloppy mess out there on the field.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
https://www.tsn.ca/riders-sign-arceneaux-to-1-year-deal-1.1258410

So I guess this means that Carter is Arceneaux's replacement.

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with this. Manny may have only had 500 yards last season, but it's because he missed like half the year.

I like that they have to disclaim that the jersey won't actually be a featureless monochrome t-shirt. :laugh:

Oh my god these are a gazillion times better than what they've been wearing. I hated that weird Lion logo on the helmet ever since they introduced it.

I kind of miss white helmets with the home/orange jersey though.

The white helmets were so bland. The black ones from the last few years were gorgeous. But the orange ones were meh. I like the ones that are in that purposed picture.

I always loved these:
1253487.jpg

39585.jpg

I wish I could find one of these jerseys in 2xl or bigger. I want one so badly.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The white helmets were so bland. The black ones from the last few years were gorgeous. But the orange ones were meh. I like the ones that are in that purposed picture.

I always loved these:
1253487.jpg

39585.jpg

I wish I could find one of these jerseys in 2xl or bigger. I want one so badly.

I like the orange helmet too, but not with orange jerseys. It has to go with black or white jerseys. And I prefer the standard lion logo to the paw print. It was nice as an alternate, but I wouldn't want it all the time.

I liked the look of the white helmet with the orange jersey and white pants. It's funny that I'm generally anti "OMG everything should look clean and simple and like it's from the 1950s" in hockey uniforms (I love those goofy 90s Coyotes jerseys they're wearing as throwbacks this year, with the southwestern/azteca trim and the schizo wall-art Coyote logo), but I like the crisper and more vibrant football uniforms to the ones that are loaded up with piping and colored panels.

Also I liked that white helmets were kind of our thing before the Riders showed up with a white alternate helmet and the Als changed over to white helmets. I know the silver helmets/pants setup was sort of the most iconic uni from my lifetime since it was the design of the team when I was growing up and we had Flutie and Allen and Dunigan at QB (or was Matt Dunigan from the era immediately preceding those ones? I can't recall. I was like 2 at the time :laugh:), but there's something about the bright, vibrant orange that appeals to me. The sports jersey I'm most pissed about not having right now is the kick-ass orange 3rd that the Sharks' AHL team used in the dying days of Reebok branded uniforms. :laugh:

I'm just glad they got rid of the fugly curved-neck/venitian blinds lion from the last batch of helmets. That was a godawful logo.

I also accept that I'm weird for caring far more about uniform design than I should. It actually borderline irritates me that the Seahawks don't go back to the blue/green/silver they had in the 80s/90s. :sarcasm: But I don't want to hijack this thread. I tend to do that sometimes.

Regardless, the Lions redesign could've been much, much worse. We could've ended up doing what the Als did.

Reactions: The Stig

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
New jerseys are likely going into next season. Pre-orders for Reilly jerseys are now available, and the images on the website all but guarantee we'll see new unis under New Era. These are just mock ups but one thing that stood out was black numbers on the white jerseys (not seen since 2003). Also read rumours on twitter that we'll have black helmets at home. I've long pined for the 70s retro jerseys we wore at Empire back in 2010, and after seeing these, I'm starting to get excited that's the direction these are headed.

ReillyReplicaJerseyPresale_2048_HOME_1024x1024.jpg

ReillyReplicaJerseyPresale_2048_AWAY_1024x1024.jpg

Oh thank God. I was praying this would coincide with the new era but I was skeptical they would change it soon after that last abomination. Anything will be an improvement..... first and foremost... lose that pylon orange immediately. Just an eye sore.

Funny how we went from what I thought were our wickedest uni's ever (matte black baby) to our worst ever in one off season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Huh.

I get it. The team played most of last season with out Elimimian, he's getting older, and all the additions that they've made clearly have to take their cut out of something else, but it'll be sad to see him move on.

Solly is one of the guys from the team who I knew. He's a really good guy and great with the fans. Will be sad to see him move on.

In the CFL, when there's a rumour about a team looking to trade a player it generally means that player is done with the team. If no trade can be found the player is usually released. But Solly is 32, and Jordan Herdman (Canadian) showed he was more than capable of being a starter at middle linebacker. I expected the Lions to look to cut some salary there.

Foucault moving on...that doesn't surprise me at all. Sukh Chungh played RG with the Bombers and it looks like that's the spot he's taking, which is Foucault's spot.

Offensive line will probably be:

LT- Figueroa
LG- Steward
C- Godber/Pierson
RG- Chungh
RT- Knevel?

RT seems to be still open, though I wouldn't rule out the return of Olafioye, or that someone like Antonio Johnson could slide in there.

Reactions: lindgren

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I like the orange helmet too, but not with orange jerseys. It has to go with black or white jerseys. And I prefer the standard lion logo to the paw print. It was nice as an alternate, but I wouldn't want it all the time.

I liked the look of the white helmet with the orange jersey and white pants. It's funny that I'm generally anti "OMG everything should look clean and simple and like it's from the 1950s" in hockey uniforms (I love those goofy 90s Coyotes jerseys they're wearing as throwbacks this year, with the southwestern/azteca trim and the schizo wall-art Coyote logo), but I like the crisper and more vibrant football uniforms to the ones that are loaded up with piping and colored panels.

Also I liked that white helmets were kind of our thing before the Riders showed up with a white alternate helmet and the Als changed over to white helmets. I know the silver helmets/pants setup was sort of the most iconic uni from my lifetime since it was the design of the team when I was growing up and we had Flutie and Allen and Dunigan at QB (or was Matt Dunigan from the era immediately preceding those ones? I can't recall. I was like 2 at the time :laugh:), but there's something about the bright, vibrant orange that appeals to me. The sports jersey I'm most pissed about not having right now is the kick-ass orange 3rd that the Sharks' AHL team used in the dying days of Reebok branded uniforms. :laugh:

I'm just glad they got rid of the fugly curved-neck/venitian blinds lion from the last batch of helmets. That was a godawful logo.

I also accept that I'm weird for caring far more about uniform design than I should. It actually borderline irritates me that the Seahawks don't go back to the blue/green/silver they had in the 80s/90s. :sarcasm: But I don't want to hijack this thread. I tend to do that sometimes.

Regardless, the Lions redesign could've been much, much worse. We could've ended up doing what the Als did.

I like orange helmets because they're different. They stand out. I agree they need to be with black uniforms.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Marco Iannuzzi retired, didn't he? Is he like a community ambassador for the team or something now? Because in the last year I've been to several Vancouver Canadians games and a bunch of Vancouver Giants games and he shows up for pregame ceremonies with one of his kids multiple times. Rarely anyone else from the team, just him.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I was truly willing to give it a chance, then I saw 3 fumbles in 5 minutes, and that was enough.

Side note, for as much crap the CFL (deservedly) got for their US expansion, I have to chuckle that all these spring leagues, XFL, UFL, all AAF have all gone back to the same cities, minus Shreveport.
Edit: I take that back. The USFL went to most of them first.
The Baltimore Ravens fans have to thank the CFL for getting Baltimore a NFL franchise back. Unless I’m mistaken, they saw how it looked like the CFL was succeeding in that city so the league gave them another shot at a NFL team. The one success story in the US expansion which was too successful in a way.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Marco Iannuzzi retired, didn't he? Is he like a community ambassador for the team or something now? Because in the last year I've been to several Vancouver Canadians games and a bunch of Vancouver Giants games and he shows up for pregame ceremonies with one of his kids multiple times. Rarely anyone else from the team, just him.
Yeah, Ianuzzi retired...last season? The one before? But yeah he's gone.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Baltimore Ravens fans have to thank the CFL for getting Baltimore a NFL franchise back. Unless I’m mistaken, they saw how it looked like the CFL was succeeding in that city so the league gave them another shot at a NFL team. The one success story in the US expansion which was too successful in a way.
This is exactly what happened, and why I knew it US expansion was a fool's errand from the start. The natural consequence of a CFL team succeeding in the US was the NFL regarding it as a threat.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, Ianuzzi retired...last season? The one before? But yeah he's gone.

I thought so. It's just weird seeing him pop up at a whl game in Langley still wearing his jersey even though he's not a player anymore. :laugh:

Meanwhile there's a guy at tonight's Giants game in a Lions jersey. It looks like #62 in a recent style. Not sure who that is off the top of my head. EDIT: just watched him go up the stairs to the concourse. No way I can read the name from the other side of the rink. It's tiny.

Last edited:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
This is exactly what happened, and why I knew it US expansion was a fool's errand from the start. The natural consequence of a CFL team succeeding in the US was the NFL regarding it as a threat.
I vaguely remembering watching something about how their owner specifically tried to get the Baltimore community involved in the team (as well as old Colts alumni like Unitas, the old Baltimore Colts marching band, etc., ) to ingratiate themselves with the city.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I thought so. It's just weird seeing him pop up at a whl game in Langley still wearing his jersey even though he's not a player anymore. :laugh:

Meanwhile there's a guy at tonight's Giants game in a Lions jersey. It looks like #62 in a recent style. Not sure who that is off the top of my head. EDIT: just watched him go up the stairs to the concourse. No way I can read the name from the other side of the rink. It's tiny.

Cody Husband was number 62 for us. He's currently a free agent though and I doubt will be brought back after he sustained a serious leg injury last season.

Iannuzzi retired before last season, and does not work with the Lions, but he still lives here and works with RBC if I'm not mistaken.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I vaguely remembering watching something about how their owner specifically tried to get the Baltimore community involved in the team (as well as old Colts alumni like Unitas, the old Baltimore Colts marching band, etc., ) to ingratiate themselves with the city.
Oh no, they did a whole bunch of outreach iirc. They did the whole community thing while ignoring the elephant in the room and were royally f***ed for their hubris.

And Cody Husband sucked. Good riddance. One less holdover from the Wall of Tissue Paper/Illegal Procedure Factory O-Line of seasons past.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver businessman and philanthropist tied to U.S. college bribery scheme

A local businessman is among dozens of people accused of using their fame, money and power to get their kids into elite American colleges.
Advantage Lithium CEO David Sidoo is a well-known philanthropist who graduated from UBC. He also played for the BC Lions and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Not sure if this could impact a potential sale of the Lions as David Sidoo was mentioned to be in the running.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting the big difference between Canada and the U.S. when it comes to football. Fans of CFL are comfortable with spring and summer football...it's part of the tradition of heading to a CFL stadium in the middle of a short summer.

But south of the border, spring football leagues have consistently flopped. I guess the tailgate and pigskin parties are just too much of a fall ritual....or maybe the competition from MLB, pro golf or spring hockey and basketball playoffs.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Sad to read the news today and find that Ken Kasuya had passed away. I can't remember a time in my life where he wasn't apart of the club so It will be strange not seeing him out there. Best wishes go out to all those who are most effected by this loss. RIP.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looks like Solomon Elimimian's time as a Lion has run its course. It's a shame that injuries have slowed him down from where he was in the '14 and '16 seasons but football chews you up and spits you out faster than any other sport.

Best of luck to him on whichever team signs him post-release.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah Solly has been a great Lion. But at least I won't have to hear them call him Elimimiam on 1040 anymore.

I keep checking the website for single game tickets but they still aren't available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad