OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The thing is, Rourke if languishes on an NFL practice roster all year long, he'll still earn two or three times what he could earn in the CFL. So I suppose you can't blame him.

And if he's quoted as saying that 'he got a fair shot to earn the backup job', then it's all about 'politics'. Because clearly he had no chance of earning the backup job from the very beginning.

I guess the positive thing is that over the years, a number of quality NFL QB's started their careers on a practice roster. So not wishing any ill-will to the guys ahead of him, but I really hope he at least gets into a game or two in the 2023 NFL season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The thing is, Rourke if languishes on an NFL practice roster all year long, he'll still earn two or three times what he could earn in the CFL. So I suppose you can't blame him.

And if he's quoted as saying that 'he got a fair shot to earn the backup job', then it's all about 'politics'. Because clearly he had no chance of earning the backup job from the very beginning.

I guess the positive thing is that over the years, a number of quality NFL QB's started their careers on a practice roster. So not wishing any ill-will to the guys ahead of him, but I really hope he at least gets into a game or two in the 2023 NFL season.
$12k usd per week for 2 year and under pro.
Over 18 weeks that is $216k USD.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As Rourke said at the time of when he signed, one of the main reasons he signed there was that Jags offered guaranteed money ($221k) in the form of a signing bonus ($5k) and then the $216k for being on the practice squad. Basically gave him protection that he would either make the roster or make the practice squad. So he's getting paid $221k minimum for this season regardless of what happens with potentially more if he lands on the 53man at some point.

I'm actually not sure how it works with these reserve deals like he signed - there's a chance that he had to stick with the Jags practice squad to get that 216k guaranteed because that contract wouldn't apply elsewhere and he wouldn't get the guarantee. Or maybe he doesn't even get the option, it's up to the Jags to make the call and he just reverts to the PS.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Oh for sure, I think every Lions fan wants that. But you also can just say that exactly how you did without a bunch of garbage about how he's wasting an entire year and a practice squad is the worst place for him.

He is but what does the cfl pay vs the nfl? Any non QB gets more on an nfl PS for the entire season vs what they make in the cfl where there is a $3 mill CA cap for roster.

$12k per week for those with 2 years or less. $14k per week for those over 2 years exp.

Main goal for Rourke is pick a team with consistent HC for this year and next. Start as QB3 in 2023 then QB2 in 2024.
Question was really whether he was good enough to convince a team to keep him as one of 3 QBs on the main roster. Jax gambled and due to the waiver rules no team wanted to keep Rourke on their main roster for Sept since it’s a QB and no way to get him up to speed in time to help them.

Major risk was for Rourke to sign elsewhere for the PS.

Rourke was a 3 year starter at Ohio. Then had 2020 off. Played 13 games in each of 21 and 22. Won’t get into games in 23. Barring injury not in 24.

I totally get all of that and agree with you guys. It just doesn't change the fact that yes, I guess I am selfish. I remember sitting on the shitty old seats at Empire Stadium with my father, eating shitty hot dogs and drinking shitty watered-down soft drinks, and I loved it all. I don't want the CFL to end and I don't want similar memories for new kids growing up to not get the chance to even take root, which could happen if the CFL continues to just be a farm league for the NFL.

The CFL has been a significant part of my life ever since I was a toddler and learning how to walk. It was right up there with Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada. The CFL is also a significant part of Canadian culture, and I want the best for the CFL, not the NFL. Unfortunately, I cannot come to terms with Rourke's dream of being a star in the NFL with my own dream of seeing the CFL survive for future generations of Canadian kids like I once was. I don't blame Rourke for chasing his dream. I hold no ill will towards him. It's just that his dream clashes with my own.

Last edited:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The CFL just makes me sad sometimes. It shouldn't be better to be a third-stringer in the NFL than start here but the CFL just does such a bad job at marketing and keeping the league balanced that it's hard to see how it grows to where that's possible.

If the league offered competitive salary, it'd be a different story. But the flip side if that is, can they afford to?

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the league offered competitive salary, it'd be a different story. But the flip side if that is, can they afford to?
It’s that old dependable league that is still around. Need some type of tv deal with a us network to gain the funds necessary to pay competitive salary.

A $5.45 mill CAD salary cap for 44 (minimum to a maximum of 56) players. Does that exclude the starting QB contract?

New leagues offer what like $8-$10k usd a game for a 10 game season plus some playoff bonuses? Less wear and tear on the body when only playing 10 vs 18 games. If you make $80k usd that’s $105k or so CAD. At $100k usd that’s $130k CAD.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
The CFL has had some significant historical down periods where the survival of the league was in question. This feels different somehow. The CFL has greatly benefited in the past as lower level pro football leagues in the US have never really succeeded. If these new leagues get a foothold long term, the CFL is in big trouble. I do genuinely worry about its capacity to pull out of this if even rock-solid franchises like Edmonton and Calgary are gasping for breath.

The CFL lives or dies based on the quality of its quarterbacks and there just aren't enough of them to keep the league in the public eye right now. Someone needs to get bold and change up some league structure to open things up. Maybe quarterback salaries should be exempt from the cap if they cannot find revenue streams to lift the cap to somewhere that players can be making $100,000 minimum league wide. I know it's taboo but the 50/50 Canadian-US player balance can always be revisited to boost talent. The officiating needs to get better too.

I've often wondered too if a shortened season in collaboration with an off-set short schedule with one of the US leagues could be beneficial so they aren't competing directly with one another for players.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only advantage the CFL has in attracting players is the fact that with the wider and longer field; and the bigger size football, it tends to be a different games.

CFL teams have to put a premium on sideline-to-sideline speed. So just about everyone on the D-line; linebackers and even the secondary has to be a lot smaller, and quicker. And it's much same on offense.

Let's face it, there are some guys who can't play anywhere else but the CFL, because of their size and strength. So although there's always going to be guys who will flee back to the NFL and earn more money on a practice roster, there's a lot of player who really can't play anywhere else.

But I agree with you. It's a shame that for a lot of players in the CFL it's a 'part-time' job. They earn decent money while the season is going, but need to find outside work once it's over.

Sadly I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The only advantage the CFL has in attracting players is the fact that with the wider and longer field; and the bigger size football, it tends to be a different games.

CFL teams have to put a premium on sideline-to-sideline speed. So just about everyone on the D-line; linebackers and even the secondary has to be a lot smaller, and quicker. And it's much same on offense.

Let's face it, there are some guys who can't play anywhere else but the CFL, because of their size and strength. So although there's always going to be guys who will flee back to the NFL and earn more money on a practice roster, there's a lot of player who really can't play anywhere else.

But I agree with you. It's a shame that for a lot of players in the CFL it's a 'part-time' job. They earn decent money while the season is going, but need to find outside work once it's over.

Sadly I don't see that changing anytime soon.

If they could somehow raise the cap to something like $20mil, they could attract more talent, and the game would benefit, and would probably increase attendance. Problem is, how do you raise a salary cap when you aren't earning the money?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If they could somehow raise the cap to something like $20mil, they could attract more talent, and the game would benefit, and would probably increase attendance. Problem is, how do you raise a salary cap when you aren't earning the money?
Has to be a US TV partner that needs content during the June to august period. But cfl is a different game than nfl/ncaa. The 2 downs and motion takes time to get used to.
But yes, QB play is the driver. Look at what QB3 on a PS earns if there for all 18 weeks? $12k usd for 2 years and less or $14k per week for over that.
How to compete with $216k usd or $256k usd?
Plus the 18 week season means more wear and tear on the body.

If a spring league ever does manage to carve out a market for several years and be break even that will be a massive challenge to the cfl.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Has to be a US TV partner that needs content during the June to august period. But cfl is a different game than nfl/ncaa. The 2 downs and motion takes time to get used to.
But yes, QB play is the driver. Look at what QB3 on a PS earns if there for all 18 weeks? $12k usd for 2 years and less or $14k per week for over that.
How to compete with $216k usd or $256k usd?
Plus the 18 week season means more wear and tear on the body.

If a spring league ever does manage to carve out a market for several years and be break even that will be a massive challenge to the cfl.
Most CFL diehards likely don't share my opinion, but I definitely think the league has way overextended itself at 18 games. A shortened summer intensive season with a Grey Cup on Labour Day weekend before the NFL kicks in would be the jewel of Canadian summer sports. Startup first week of June, wrap up Labour Day weekend could still be a 12-game season.

I've never understood the prevailing schedule the CFL operates on. I'm very ready for football in June after a wet cold winter, but the damn league often doesn't kick off until Canada Day or after. Meanwhile the whole country has had sunny warm weather for the past 4 weeks. Such a waste. And then by the Fall I'm burnt out on the CFL and just want hockey as the weather cools down. Grey Cups in November at -25 in the Prairies are the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Don't know how they'd ever get a US partner to boost revenue by 2 or 3 times. Apple TV+ has an interesting setup with the MLS, but the fanbase of the CFL is so much older I doubt that is viable. My parents don't know how the hell to use Apple TV+.

Reactions: Lindgren and m9

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most CFL diehards likely don't share my opinion, but I definitely think the league has way overextended itself at 18 games. A shortened summer intensive season with a Grey Cup on Labour Day weekend before the NFL kicks in would be the jewel of Canadian summer sports. Startup first week of June, wrap up Labour Day weekend could still be a 12-game season.

I've never understood the prevailing schedule the CFL operates on. I'm very ready for football in June after a wet cold winter, but the damn league often doesn't kick off until Canada Day or after. Meanwhile the whole country has had sunny warm weather for the past 4 weeks. Such a waste. And then by the Fall I'm burnt out on the CFL and just want hockey as the weather cools down. Grey Cups in November at -25 in the Prairies are the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Don't know how they'd ever get a US partner to boost revenue by 2 or 3 times. Apple TV+ has an interesting setup with the MLS, but the fanbase of the CFL is so much older I doubt that is viable. My parents don't know how the hell to use Apple TV+.
I agree with a shortened season to 14 games. But that is dependent on TV money making up the difference from the gate.
Cause in a small league you will always get an Elks team that goes 6/7 games under by like game 9/10. Becomes an excruciatingly long season for the fanbase. 14 games means 2 byes so 16 weeks so 4 months to complete.
Start opening june weekend and play through to September. Playoffs and grey cup before the end of October right around the start of nhl regular season and limits overlap with nfl.

But need a big source of revenue in order to make that change.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Solid win tonight. Some gaffes. If I'm the coaching staff, I'm practicing nothing but run defense all week.
Yep....VA with his fourth straight 300 yard game.....but the defense is getting carved up. Too many big plays and missed assignments. As good as they were at the start of the season, they look vulnerable now.

If Fajardo had been able to convert most his trips to the red zone, the Al's would have won this one going away. But any win down East is tough after Labor Day. So the Lions will happily move on to the bye week.

Just a shame about last weekend's clinker against Hamilton at B.C. Place. Win that one an they're neck and neck with the Bombers for first in the West.

Reactions: Lindgren and m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Do the Lions have a natural rival in the CFL? It used to be Calgary, but now the Battle of Alberta is all consuming for fans in Calgary and Edmonton.

And watching that high octane game between the Roughriders and the Bombers on the Labor Day Weekend really underscores how much these two teams hate each other. And they're back at in the Banjo Bowl this weekend.

Down East, the Argos and the Ticats have played some great rivalry games, and Ottawa-Montreal games aren't far behind.

But I guess that's what comes from being orphaned on the West Coast. Nobody really hates the B.C. Lions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do the Lions have a natural rival in the CFL? It used to be Calgary, but now the Battle of Alberta is all consuming for fans in Calgary and Edmonton.

And watching that high octane game between the Roughriders and the Bombers on the Labor Day Weekend really underscores how much these two teams hate each other. And they're back at in the Banjo Bowl this weekend.

Down East, the Argos and the Ticats have played some great rivalry games, and Ottawa-Montreal games aren't far behind.

But I guess that's what comes from being orphaned on the West Coast. Nobody really hates the B.C. Lions.
Even if they got the Atlantic Schooners down the line to make it 10 teams, there is no geographical rival for the Lions. Cal/Ed, Sask/Win, Tor/Ham and logically, it makes sense to do Ott/Mon which leaves the furthest East/West teams to match up on Labour Day weekend.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Even if they got the Atlantic Schooners down the line to make it 10 teams, there is no geographical rival for the Lions. Cal/Ed, Sask/Win, Tor/Ham and logically, it makes sense to do Ott/Mon which leaves the furthest East/West teams to match up on Labour Day weekend.
Expand to Kelowna, I say.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I think our biggest rival is Sask. But we aren't theirs. I think we're the number 2 rivalry for the Riders, behind Winnipeg. I was talking to a few Rider fans last time they were in town and they said the two games they get the most hyped up for are the Bombers and the Lions. I asked why us and they said Vancouver is like the Toronto of the west. We think we're better than the Prarie cities.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For a while BC and Montreal had a habit of meeting in big games, and there was no Ottawa in the league so they sort of got together as the miscellaneous pair.
BC being isolated and having the prairies cities have a rival in province or in the next means that BC has no western clear cut rival who also sees BC as their main rival. Tor/Ham are natural due to proximity. Ott was out of the league as was Montreal for a time. Due to proximity, they should be each other's.

Assuming Atlantic Canada does get a team, I would guess that is who BC would get paired up with in the future when doing Canada Day or Labour Day games just due to being the leftovers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: