OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah those are nicely done. Loving the british columbia on the whites.. but dont care for the lions on the blacks.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I'm no fan of the Lions (easy giveaway in my avatar) but daaamn those are nice looking jerseys!

Reactions: The Stig

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Just a bump so the thread doesn't get too lost with training camp going on right now.
Ah, I remember, way back in the day, when Lions training camp was a big deal, with stories in the Province and Sun every day. Would this be the year Paul Brothers broke out? How good would this kid Leon Bright be?

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Ah, I remember, way back in the day, when Lions training camp was a big deal, with stories in the Province and Sun every day. Would this be the year Paul Brothers broke out? How good would this kid Leon Bright be?

Actually they've been posting a ton of updates on twitter.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Actually they've been posting a ton of updates on twitter.

That's great. But I'd expect them to post on their own twitter feed. Independent coverage? Big stories in the daylies?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Too bad the Leo's couldn't have squeezed another season out of Nathan Rourke.

But the sad reality is that he'll earn four times as much as he was making in the CFL, for being the third-string QB in the depth chart with Jacksonville in the NFL.

But you wonder about his development if he never takes a single snap behind center for the Jaguars next season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Too bad the Leo's couldn't have squeezed another season out of Nathan Rourke.

But the sad reality is that he'll earn four times as much as he was making in the CFL, for being the third-string QB in the depth chart with Jacksonville in the NFL.

But you wonder about his development if he never takes a single snap behind center for the Jaguars next season.
Depends on where he is on the roster. Behind Lawrence is no one with any experience at the moment from what I understand. Difference between being on the 53 man roster vs the Practice Squad is massive, to the tune of $500K or more. $11.5K per week for 18 weeks is around $207K on the PS. Main roster, should be over $700K.

Jax keeps him on the main roster if they believe he has potential, otherwise, they take the risk of him getting claimed at some point during the season if he's on the PS.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah those are nicely done. Loving the british columbia on the whites.. but dont care for the lions on the blacks.
Lions Black for some reason, always looks a touch faded. Kind of more A&W colors than black like Philly Flyers, OK St. Cowboys, OR St. Beavers look to them. Maybe, it's the lack of any white on the black that limits the contrast or something so it doesn't seem as black.

Reactions: andora

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Haven't been following the CFL very closely lately......where are the Lions at? Assume it's the Bombers by a mile in the West Division. Do the Leos have a shot at dethroning them?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Haven't been following the CFL very closely lately......where are the Lions at? Assume it's the Bombers by a mile in the West Division. Do the Leos have a shot at dethroning them?

Everybody's got a shot. I'm biased as a Bombers fan but to start it APPEARS everyone will be chasing the Bombers. But one Collaros injury changes the entire landscape. Even beyond that the Bombers are aging and might hit the wall at basically any time.

Despite that I feel very confident the Bombers will take the West. They returned much of the 15-3 team from last year, arguably even improved on the offense swapping out Ellingson for Lawler in the off-season. The D has taken quite a few hits over the past couple of years in terms of losses, but the key pieces remain in place (former Lion Adam Bighill, Willie Jefferson, Brandon Alexander, Deatrick Nichols). And it's a motivated group after last year's fluke loss in the Grey Cup.

But I expect BC and Calgary to be right there with them much/all of the year. Vernon Adams is a quality QB that can win games despite the fact that you cannot replace what Nathan Rourke did for the team last year. BC has plenty of offensive weapons and a solid D. Dominique Rhymes, Lucky Whitehead, Keon Hatcher, Jevon Cottoy, there's still plenty of talent at WR despite the Burnham retirement. I expect Adams scrambling ability will help their run game despite losing Butler to Hamilton in FA and the Lions appear to be going with a raw rookie at RB. On D BC appears to have an experienced and talented DB corps. Generating more along the line will be key for them, IMO. Why they signed Lemon, but then released him when Kongbo was signed a couple of weeks ago. But then they just traded Kongbo today so maybe they are re-signing Lemon again?

I currently have BC as on paper the 3rd best team in the league to open the year after Winnipeg and Calgary. But games aren't played on paper.

Reactions: Lindgren

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Lower bowl has less than 1000 seats left and the upper bowl is open for the home opener. There was 40,000 at last year's opener. They didn't open the upper bowl until a few days before the game last year. Means tickets are selling faster than last year. So if you're thinking about coming out to the opener, upper bowl prices are $35 and down. U18 is $10.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Think I heard LL Cool J is performing, so that's probably driving sales. They did something similar last season opener too IIRC.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The rejuvenation of the B.C. Lions under the leadership of Amar Doman and Rick Campbell is one of the best sports stories in recent years in this market. Too bad a lot of media guys are still focused on the lackluster Canucks and Whitecaps.

But it just goes to show what solid ownership and management can do for any professional sports franchise.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Why they signed Lemon, but then released him when Kongbo was signed a couple of weeks ago. But then they just traded Kongbo today so maybe they are re-signing Lemon again?

The Kongbo stuff is interesting and it's something to watch. Coach Campbell was on 650 a couple morning ago and asked about Kongbo and Campbell basically said he wasn't a fit in the room. Halford/Brough asked about the leadership on the team with Rourke/Burnham/etc leaving and instead of naming 2 or 3 leaders he basically reeled off half the team which IMO is sneakily a bad sign when you can't point to who the leaders and instead are just naming everyone.

Fast forward to Kongbo going on social media and calling out the leaders on the team for not working hard/practicing/team culture. Keon Hatcher came back at him and basically called out Kongbo for being mad because he wasn't in the DL rotation.

Something to follow this year for sure.

The rejuvenation of the B.C. Lions under the leadership of Amar Doman and Rick Campbell is one of the best sports stories in recent years in this market. Too bad a lot of media guys are still focused on the lackluster Canucks and Whitecaps.

But it just goes to show what solid ownership and management can do for any professional sports franchise.

I'm genuinely curious what about Doman's time has really inspired you to say this? They had a great crowd for opening day last year and another good one for the playoff game. Crowds weren't great for the rest of the season. This year they are going with the same formula of a concert to draw the opening day crowd, but will it keep up?

I actually really like both Doman & Campbell as well but I just haven't seen/heard a ton of increased interest in the team over the last year or two. Media talk about what people want to listen to, not the other way around. I think both of these people are good at what they do, I just don't think it's translated to much change.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Kongbo stuff is interesting and it's something to watch. Coach Campbell was on 650 a couple morning ago and asked about Kongbo and Campbell basically said he wasn't a fit in the room. Halford/Brough asked about the leadership on the team with Rourke/Burnham/etc leaving and instead of naming 2 or 3 leaders he basically reeled off half the team which IMO is sneakily a bad sign when you can't point to who the leaders and instead are just naming everyone.

Fast forward to Kongbo going on social media and calling out the leaders on the team for not working hard/practicing/team culture. Keon Hatcher came back at him and basically called out Kongbo for being mad because he wasn't in the DL rotation.

Something to follow this year for sure.

I'm genuinely curious what about Doman's time has really inspired you to say this? They had a great crowd for opening day last year and another good one for the playoff game. Crowds weren't great for the rest of the season. This year they are going with the same formula of a concert to draw the opening day crowd, but will it keep up?

I actually really like both Doman & Campbell as well but I just haven't seen/heard a ton of increased interest in the team over the last year or two. Media talk about what people want to listen to, not the other way around. I think both of these people are good at what they do, I just don't think it's translated to much change.
I think it may be too early to judge.....Lions were 12-6 last season and lost a tight game in the Western Final to Winnipeg. But before last year's breakthrough they were were Western Conference doormats.

If the Leos get off to another fast starts but are still struggling with attendance than maybe you can conclude that CFL football in Vancouver just isn't cutting it.

Too bad Nathan Rourke left for the NFL.....a home-grown talent like that would sell tickets around the league--especially in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad