OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I just turned it on and Bombers block the kick and return it for touchdown. Wow this could get out of hand quick if the Lions don't do something on their next drive.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I saw this coming a year ago when we lost Rourke. Been down that road before. Adams may have the character and desire to win, but not the tools, at least on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Petey O

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
The 16-2 team not being in the Grey Cup shows again how playoffs are such an artificial way to name a league champion, and why the rest of the world never thinks of it that way. Especially in a sport that uses one-off games and has tons of injuries.
The reason for this is pretty obvious.....keeps interest alive for a number of teams who think they have a shot at making the playoffs. If there were no playoffs, fan interest would dissipate quickly in a number of markets.

The other reason, of course, is that teams with good coaching can actually improve considerably during the season and perhaps are the best team at the end of the season.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The reason for this is pretty obvious.....keeps interest alive for a number of teams who think they have a shot at making the playoffs. If there were no playoffs, fan interest would dissipate quickly in a number of markets.

The other reason, of course, is that teams with good coaching can actually improve considerably during the season and perhaps are the best team at the end of the season.
I know the reasoning, but it leads to farcical ideas like the playoff champion is the “true” best team and everyone else is the first loser.

In the rest of the world, they have cup competitions that run alongside the league race (as well as pro/reg of course). I think it makes way more sense than just pretending we didn’t watch what we just watched, particularly when tiny sample sizes and injuries are involved.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lions were in tough against this Bombers team.....simply because they're not as good on both sides of the ball.

Campbell and the head office needs to keep the this game on a continuous viewing loop when they start recruiting for another season. Unfortunately for them, the Bombers play 'smash-mouth' football and the Lions don't have the horses to match it.

But it's tough to find players now.....With the XFL and expanded NFL practice rosters, good American pros and college players simply aren't coming north like they used to.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really, looking back on it, that OT loss to the Bombers at B.C. Place in OT when the led most of the night, was basically the end. It meant that even if they won the Western semi-final, they'd have to go into Winterpeg for the Western Final.

They simply don't win there. Too bad they couldn't convince Rourke to stick around....but I guess he's earning triple the money for languishing on Jacksonville's practice roster. Still, he hasn't been on the field for a single down so far this season, and it's doubtful that he will.

Another full year with the Lions might have made a difference in his development.....but we'll never know.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
This league seems to have become the "whoever makes fewest mistakes wins " instead of who makes the most big plays wins.

The Lions did well with what they had. Hopefully the roster gets deeper and has better results next year.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
There were some great times this year. We have a terrific set of receivers. When Vernon Adams is "on", like last week, it can be magical. But even one interception can be fatal if it kills a team's momentum at a crucial time.

We have to develop a consistent running game, and upgrade our O-line. Without that, we won't be hosting our own team in next year's Grey Cup at BC Place.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Just completed a long drive back from The Peg.

Damn that game was cold. Have experienced many games in similar temperature but this one just felt worse. All the Bombers fans around me were complaining too so it wasn’t just me! The only player I noticed affected by temperature was Castillo, who made this game closer than it should’ve been

Our O Line was Swiss cheese and gave Vernon little time

When Vernon got time he was slow and indecisive much of the time. A couple big missed passes to boot.

Collards is less entertaining but he’s so much better at reading the moment and doing the small things to keep a drive alive, or atleast to prevent the major losses.

I think our secondary was solid tonight but again on the D line Winnipeg was imposing their will on us. We got better as the game rolled on but I think that was a byproduct of Bombers playing more conservatively.

Better team one, and like it was mentioned earlier in the thread if we just won that game at home a few weeks ago we probably had a much closer game tonight

Next year we’ll win the thing at home!

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lions were in tough against this Bombers team.....simply because they're not as good on both sides of the ball.

Campbell and the head office needs to keep the this game on a continuous viewing loop when they start recruiting for another season. Unfortunately for them, the Bombers play 'smash-mouth' football and the Lions don't have the horses to match it.

But it's tough to find players now.....With the XFL and expanded NFL practice rosters, good American pros and college players simply aren't coming north like they used to.
Agree. Bombers dominated the line of scrimmage which most often determines the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad