OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most NFL teams head into training camp with 93 players; and only 53 end up making the active roster. So almost as many guys get cut as make the opening game roster.

So the sad reality for a lot of guys like Rourke is that there really is very little competition for jobs. And your performance in training camp, along with the exhibition schedule, often means next to nothing.

Looking at some of the early cuts on the TSN NFL board, it's surprising how many QB's are being released around the league. Some of them are veterans who've had a lot more playing time than Rourke. So he has his work cut out for him competing with this glut of waived QB's for a job somewhere.

But he strikes me as the kind of kid who'll never give up on his football dreams, no matter how many twists or turns there may be.

From a purely personal standpoint, I'd love to see him surface in Seattle. But that seems unlikely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most NFL teams head into training camp with 93 players; and only 53 end up making the active roster. So almost as many guys get cut as make the opening game roster.

So the sad reality for a lot of guys like Rourke is that there really is very little competition for jobs. And your performance in training camp, along with the exhibition schedule, often means next to nothing.

Looking at some of the early cuts on the TSN NFL board, it's surprising how many QB's are being released around the league. Some of them are veterans who've had a lot more playing time than Rourke. So he has his work cut out for him competing with this glut of waived QB's for a job somewhere.

But he strikes me as the kind of kid who'll never give up on his football dreams, no matter how many twists or turns there may be.

From a purely personal standpoint, I'd love to see him surface in Seattle. But that seems unlikely.
Like I said before, unless you have a young guy that you are developing and don't think he's ready to handle the job if the starter gets hurt, is likely when you would carry a 3rd QB on the main roster.

Aside from that, probably around 20 teams or more are only carrying 2 QBs on the main roster. And will aim to get someone onto the Practice Squad. So, only around 75 QBs will be on a 53 man roster.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
When I originally posted some potential Rourke teams yesterday I had the Patriots down as their backup Zappe has been very poor through the pre-season. Looks like I should have kept them on. Zappe just got cut, so we'll see what happens there but it will be an opportunity for someone.

Chiefs have no current backup, either.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!.....cutdown day in the NFL and there's bushel-full of QB's just hit the waiver wire.

The 'good news' is that a lot of QB's were handed their walking papers today and there should be a lot of openings for a guy like Rourke. The 'bad news' is that he's competing with all of the recently-released quarterbacks, and most of them have a lot more NFL experience than he does.

I really hope Rourke doesn't end up on a practice squad somewhere. The only way he gets better is if he plays.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rourke officially lands back on the Jaguars practice squad.

That pretty much ends the story for now, and I guess we'll see what happens throughout the season and if Rourke can do enough to position himself as the potential backup in Jacksonville in 2024.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wow!.....cutdown day in the NFL and there's bushel-full of QB's just hit the waiver wire.

The 'good news' is that a lot of QB's were handed their walking papers today and there should be a lot of openings for a guy like Rourke. The 'bad news' is that he's competing with all of the recently-released quarterbacks, and most of them have a lot more NFL experience than he does.

I really hope Rourke doesn't end up on a practice squad somewhere. The only way he gets better is if he plays.
Don't expect Rourke to get claimed. Saw yesterday that any claims now, the player has to remain on the 53 man roster for the first 3 weeks of the season. A QB that doesn't know the system, probably not going to help anyways, especially one that hasn't thrown an NFL pass in regular season. Teams are more likely to want someone at a position that could help them in September.

Be interesting if we ever hear about any clubs that want to sign him to their PS roster. Being realistic, QB3 is probably where he spends most of this season. Barring a rash of injuries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rourke officially lands back on the Jaguars practice squad.

That pretty much ends the story for now, and I guess we'll see what happens throughout the season and if Rourke can do enough to position himself as the potential backup in Jacksonville in 2024.
Jax never made sense for him to ever really get onto the field in 2023 or 2024.

Lawrence is going into year 3, so Pedersen would have opted for someone with some experience behind him, which is what they did by signing Beathard after Rourke signed. Even if Rourke passes Beathard between now and 2024 training camp, he's not likely to see the field in 2024 barring an injury to Lawrence.

Probably need to search back to see if there were any confirmations of which other teams he was talking to in regards to signing after the Lions. Jax isn't one that he would ever get a shot if the end goal is to ultimately have a chance at a #1 QB job. At worst, he needed to be QB2 and make 3 times as much vs being on the PS as QB3.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jax never made sense for him to ever really get onto the field in 2023 or 2024.

Lawrence is going into year 3, so Pedersen would have opted for someone with some experience behind him, which is what they did by signing Beathard after Rourke signed. Even if Rourke passes Beathard between now and 2024 training camp, he's not likely to see the field in 2024 barring an injury to Lawrence.

Probably need to search back to see if there were any confirmations of which other teams he was talking to in regards to signing after the Lions. Jax isn't one that he would ever get a shot if the end goal is to ultimately have a chance at a #1 QB job. At worst, he needed to be QB2 and make 3 times as much vs being on the PS as QB3.

I think it's fair to question his choice of Jacksonville (I did at the time) but I understand his process. He didn't want to go somewhere unsettled because they would likely bring in two guys to compete for the starting job and then he had a ceiling as a QB3. It makes sense, even if he ultimately only ended up as a QB3 anyway.

Ultimately, I think it worked out fine. Not great, just fine. He went to a place that only carried 3 QBs on their roster all off-season and through pre-season (many teams carry 4) which gave him the opportunity to practice a ton and get a good amount of playing time in the pre-season. For many of the teams, the 4th QB on the roster gets very little camp reps so he avoided that situation. He's got his foot in the door and put out some excellent pre-season film. We'll see what happens from here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's fair to question his choice of Jacksonville (I did at the time) but I understand his process. He didn't want to go somewhere unsettled because they would likely bring in two guys to compete for the starting job and then he had a ceiling as a QB3. It makes sense, even if he ultimately only ended up as a QB3 anyway.

Ultimately, I think it worked out fine. Not great, just fine. He went to a place that only carried 3 QBs on their roster all off-season and through pre-season (many teams carry 4) which gave him the opportunity to practice a ton and get a good amount of playing time in the pre-season. For many of the teams, the 4th QB on the roster gets very little camp reps so he avoided that situation. He's got his foot in the door and put out some excellent pre-season film. We'll see what happens from here.
At this point, best case is that he continues to improve and the Jags cut or walk away from Beathard in the off-season or cut him before the start of 2024 and elevate Rourke to QB2. Probably still want to have Beathard in camp in 2024.
2023 Rourke makes around $216K USD being on the PS. Think it's around $12K per week for 18 weeks. Think his contract was for around $750K-$800K to be on the main roster. So, if he's with Jax for 2 years, he'll make around $1 mill USD. Guessing that would be more than what he would make in the CFL those 2 years, as that would be like $1.3 mill CAD or $650K per season.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You wonder if this what Rourke and his agent had in mind when they signed with Jacksonville in the first place.

The worst place he could end up was on some team's practice roster.....where he gets zero reps and doesn't even dress for games. At his age and experience level in pro football--he needs to play.

So unless one of Lawrence or Beathard gets injured, he'll have basically wasted an entire year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You wonder if this what Rourke and his agent had in mind when they signed with Jacksonville in the first place.

The worst place he could end up was on some team's practice roster.....where he gets zero reps and doesn't even dress for games. At his age and experience level in pro football--he needs to play.

So unless one of Lawrence or Beathard gets injured, he'll have basically wasted an entire year.

This is just not true and just sounds like someone who selfishly wants him back in the CFL.

For a guy who wants to pursue an NFL career, there is value in him being a 3rd QB. Plenty of 3rd QBs earn playing time or move onto the active roster throughout the season, whether it's Jacksonville or elsewhere. He's a rookie and has lots to learn and being a 3rd QB is a totally reasonable place to learn the league.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This is just not true and just sounds like someone who selfishly wants him back in the CFL.

For a guy who wants to pursue an NFL career, there is value in him being a 3rd QB. Plenty of 3rd QBs earn playing time or move onto the active roster throughout the season, whether it's Jacksonville or elsewhere. He's a rookie and has lots to learn and being a 3rd QB is a totally reasonable place to learn the league.

You say that like it's an insult. I selfishly want Rourke back in the CFL. He's not only good for the Lions, he's good for the CFL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You say that like it's an insult. I selfishly want Rourke back in the CFL. He's not only good for the Lions, he's good for the CFL.
He is but what does the cfl pay vs the nfl? Any non QB gets more on an nfl PS for the entire season vs what they make in the cfl where there is a $3 mill CA cap for roster.

$12k per week for those with 2 years or less. $14k per week for those over 2 years exp.

Main goal for Rourke is pick a team with consistent HC for this year and next. Start as QB3 in 2023 then QB2 in 2024.
Question was really whether he was good enough to convince a team to keep him as one of 3 QBs on the main roster. Jax gambled and due to the waiver rules no team wanted to keep Rourke on their main roster for Sept since it’s a QB and no way to get him up to speed in time to help them.

Major risk was for Rourke to sign elsewhere for the PS.

Rourke was a 3 year starter at Ohio. Then had 2020 off. Played 13 games in each of 21 and 22. Won’t get into games in 23. Barring injury not in 24.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Oh for sure, I think every Lions fan wants that. But you also can just say that exactly how you did without a bunch of garbage about how he's wasting an entire year and a practice squad is the worst place for him.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh for sure, I think every Lions fan wants that. But you also can just say that exactly how you did without a bunch of garbage about how he's wasting an entire year and a practice squad is the worst place for him.
PS players practice with the main squad. It's not like it's a separate unit that only practices amongst the 16 players on it. He'll still be in the same meeting rooms as Lawrence and Beathard. Just throwing to different guys to get his reps in. Up to him and the extra WR to stay later to get in the work they need to stay sharp.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
PS players practice with the main squad. It's not like it's a separate unit that only practices amongst the 16 players on it. He'll still be in the same meeting rooms as Lawrence and Beathard. Just throwing to different guys to get his reps in. Up to him and the extra WR to stay later to get in the work they need to stay sharp.

Of course, and he'll get plenty of chances to learn. Most QBs in the league enter as backups, QB3s, and practice squad guys. This talk that him in that role is a waste is just dumb from someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

I would look back on what happened to Henry Burris. It didn't work out for him the NFL, but he was a QB3 for one year in GB and then got his shot on another team when injuries hit their top QBs. Of course he was quite bad in that opportunity, but he got his shot.. and that's all Rourke wants. Burris then went back to a long CFL career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Of course, and he'll get plenty of chances to learn. Most QBs in the league enter as backups, QB3s, and practice squad guys. This talk that him in that role is a waste is just dumb from someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

I would look back on what happened to Henry Burris. It didn't work out for him the NFL, but he was a QB3 for one year in GB and then got his shot on another team when injuries hit their top QBs. Of course he was quite bad in that opportunity, but he got his shot.. and that's all Rourke wants. Burris then went back to a long CFL career.
Any QB that isn’t a day 1 or 2 QB will end up on the PS most likely. Maybe up to round 4.
Never expected him to be QB2. Figured he might show well enough to be on a main roster.

Ideally you’d like to see a 25 year old QB play one who showed well the past 2 cfl seasons but it is business. Whether he’s lucky enough to ever get into the field in a regular season game, time will tell. That is what is keeping Beathard, Mullens, around the nfl. Got a chance and showed just enough to hang around as a backup. Have to show that you are good in the QB room. That’s what Rourke has to focus on now as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Football is like any professional sport.....you only get better if you actually play.

Rourke can take practice reps; study film; and lug a clipboard until the cows come home.....but if he doesn't play a down in a real game, then he's going to regress.

The only way he'll play is if Lawrence and Beathard go down with injuries. Could happen.....but more likely he doesn't take a live snap in a single NFL game this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Football is like any professional sport.....you only get better if you actually play.

Rourke can take practice reps; study film; and lug a clipboard until the cows come home.....but if he doesn't play a down in a real game, then he's going to regress.

The only way he'll play is if Lawrence and Beathard go down with injuries. Could happen.....but more likely he doesn't take a live snap in a single NFL game this season.
I doubt Rourke expected to take a snap this season. Barring it being AZ, I think every other team is going to ride their top guy or top 2 guys over Rourke.

He's not a day 1 or 2 draft pick.

He gets better because he is with an NFL team, learning the playbook from a good HC that is offensively minded. Practice well.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I questioned the Jacksonville choice the moment he made it. There were teams talking to him where he would have had a much better shot at a backup role. I guess we just have to sit and watch how it unfolds and hope he made the right choice for himself.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I questioned the Jacksonville choice the moment he made it. There were teams talking to him where he would have had a much better shot at a backup role. I guess we just have to sit and watch how it unfolds and hope he made the right choice for himself.
The thing is, once Rourke cleared waivers, he could have gone to any team in the NFL. But decided to return to Jacksonville for some reason.

You'd have thought that his pre-season performance would have piqued the interest of some other teams--particularly those with huge question marks at QB. But I guess not.

Reactions: The Stig

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Doesn’t Pederson have a CFL connection (or was it one to the Rourkes?) that made him something of a natural ally? Or was that another member of the Jags’ staff?

Seeing he is from Bellingham (which is cool) at least he is already less likely than 99% of NFL people to think CFL players are on Baffin Island playing with a frozen chunk of caribou meat as a ball.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Doesn’t Pederson have a CFL connection (or was it one to the Rourkes?) that made him something of a natural ally? Or was that another member of the Jags’ staff?

Seeing he is from Bellingham (which is cool) at least he is already less likely than 99% of NFL people to think CFL players are on Baffin Island playing with a frozen chunk of caribou meat as a ball.

I'm not sure about Pederson/Rourke, but Henry Burris is on the staff in Jacksonville and he obviously has tons of CFL ties. He may have even briefly worked with the Lions/Rourke in 2022.. it seems familiar but I can't remember.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm not sure about Pederson/Rourke, but Henry Burris is on the staff in Jacksonville and he obviously has tons of CFL ties. He may have even briefly worked with the Lions/Rourke in 2022.. it seems familiar but I can't remember.
Maybe that’s what it was… Sekeres just corrected himself on yesterday’s podcast where he had thought there was a connection, so maybe that’s where I was getting it from. The Burris thing makes sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe that’s what it was… Sekeres just corrected himself on yesterday’s podcast where he had thought there was a connection, so maybe that’s where I was getting it from. The Burris thing makes sense.

Here was what Farhan said at the time of the signing, so yeah it's just the Burris connection I think:

Reactions: Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad