OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would prefer he end up back in B.C. winning games for our Lions.

That seems extremely unlikely unless he makes a personal choice that he would rather start in the CFL v being on a practice squad.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That seems extremely unlikely unless he makes a personal choice that he would rather start in the CFL v being on a practice squad.
I understand that for sure. I'm simply saying I am a B.C Lions fan a thousand times over before I am a Nathan Rourke fan, and have zero interest in cheering on his NFL aspirations.

Reactions: m9

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I turned on this game in the middle and basically (until just now) watched BC do nothing with the ball and be completely unable to stop Saskatchewan on pretty much every single play. :confused:
Well since I wrote that they’ve certainly turned things around to the point that they really should be ahead right now, with just a bit better hands in a couple of instances. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
B.C. defense has been a stone-wall all year long, with the exception of the game in Winnipeg, and this one against the Riders. They basically got shredded by the Riders third-string QB.

Looked to me like the Riders were throwing deep all night long, because they were confident their receivers could come down with ball against the Lions DB's......and that's exactly what happened.

Too bad.....even a few stops here and there, and the Lions heroic fourth quarter comeback wouldn't have been for naught.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
That was the opinion of Jags coach Doug Pederson as well who said after the game....that CJ Beathard is his backup.

Now the fun starts......unless the Jags want to carry three QB's on the active roster, they'll have to put Rourke on waivers in order to assign him to the practice roster. Since few teams around the league actually carry three QB's on the sidelines for every game, that appears to be Rourke's fate.

All of which is ridiculous.....since Rourke badly outplayed Beathard, and everybody knows it. But what it shows is that Nathan probably never had a decent shot at earning the backup QB spot from the very start of training camp.

Really hope he ends up waivers.....is picked up by somebody else and comes back to haunt the Jags in the future. But lets face it......QB's from the CFL get basically zero respect south of the border. And this just proves it.
He was obviously sold a bill of goods if he was told that he could compete for no. 2, but then he's used to being sold a bill of goods. Whatever "family advisor" hooked him up with Edgewood Academy for his senior season failed to tell him that the level of football was barely above (if even that) the level of HS ball he was playing in Ontario and failed to tell him that he would have had to have taken the leap at least one and probably two years earlier if he wanted a P5 offer given how early those schools line up their QB recruitment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was obviously sold a bill of goods if he was told that he could compete for no. 2, but then he's used to being sold a bill of goods. Whatever "family advisor" hooked him up with Edgewood Academy for his senior season failed to tell him that the level of football was barely above (if even that) the level of HS ball he was playing in Ontario and failed to tell him that he would have had to have taken the leap at least one and probably two years earlier if he wanted a P5 offer given how early those schools line up their QB recruitment.
The main goal is to make the 53 man roster. If Rourke is #3, then the Jags have to decide whether to waive him after camp as part of their cutdown to the 53 man roster, or if they value him and don't want to risk losing him, they would keep him on the 53 man roster.

If he's on the 53 man roster, he still gets paid the full salary, vs making around 1/3 or so of what he's NFL contract would be on the PS.

Then it's up to the HC to decide who he wants to dress as the backup behind QB1 Lawrence. He's the starter, no performance by Rourke is changing that.

Had Rourke signed with a LV, Min, Dal, NO, or some other team where the QB was in their 30's and contract wise, the team may opt to move off the QB, that would have made more sense for Rourke. But, not signing with a team with a sub 27 year old starting QB who was highly drafted like Jax, Buf, KC, Cin, LAC, etc.

Minny has Cousins, then Mullens, who like Beatherd was a backup in SF and got playing time in the seasons pre Jimmy G and his injury seasons with the ACL and ankle, but didn't win games. Also have Hall, a Rookie from BYU. If they signed Rourke, not sure they draft Hall. That would have made more sense as a landing spot for Rourke.

So much of making it in the NFL, even as a backup is just luck and getting the opportunity to get onto the field.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That was the opinion of Jags coach Doug Pederson as well who said after the game....that CJ Beathard is his backup.

Now the fun starts......unless the Jags want to carry three QB's on the active roster, they'll have to put Rourke on waivers in order to assign him to the practice roster. Since few teams around the league actually carry three QB's on the sidelines for every game, that appears to be Rourke's fate.

All of which is ridiculous.....since Rourke badly outplayed Beathard, and everybody knows it. But what it shows is that Nathan probably never had a decent shot at earning the backup QB spot from the very start of training camp.

Really hope he ends up waivers.....is picked up by somebody else and comes back to haunt the Jags in the future. But lets face it......QB's from the CFL get basically zero respect south of the border. And this just proves it.
There is now that 3rd QB rule. But, with the caveat that the 3rd QB has to be on the 53 man roster or a PS game day activation, but, the NFL is still limited to just 2 PS activations for a game.

But, even under the old rule, some teams do opt to carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster if one of them is young and the team believes that they have potential. But, they'd only dress 2 of them for a game. I recall Goff during his rookie year was on the roster, but in street clothes for a couple of games. Most teams that drafted a QB between rounds 2-4 will carry 3 QBs since they spent a pick on a QB.
Minny will likely put all of Cousins, Mullens, and Hall on the main roster
Vegas will with Jimmy, Hoyer and AOC
Dallas now with Dak, Rush, and Lance
Ten with Tanny, Willis, and Levis
And so on.

Question is up to Pedersen to decide what to do with Rourke. Has he seen enough to warrant keeping him on the main roster, or does he risk waiving him and he ends up claimed by another club to try to get him onto the PS?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lions now firmly entrenched in the mid-season blahs. Second week in a row their defense has been shredded by basically a third-string QB. One of the uglier losses in recent seasons to the Ti-Cats, who couldn't even beat the Elks at home last week.

Oh well....hopefully they can use this embarrassing beat-down as motivation going forward.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lions now firmly entrenched in the mid-season blahs. Second week in a row their defense has been shredded by basically a third-string QB. One of the uglier losses in recent seasons to the Ti-Cats, who couldn't even beat the Elks at home last week.

Oh well....hopefully they can use this embarrassing beat-down as motivation going forward.
a 9 team league with an 18 game season does get a bit stale in the middle of the season. Excitement of the new year has worn off and still a ways away from the playoffs, but nearing the start of NCAA and NFL football.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nathan Rourke officially waived by the Jaguars. He'll go on waivers and if he clears then will likely have opportunities to join a practice squad - either Jacksonville or a different team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nathan Rourke officially waived by the Jaguars. He'll go on waivers and if he clears then will likely have opportunities to join a practice squad - either Jacksonville or a different team.
As 3rd string, he's highly unlikely to see the field. See if he clears. Again, he should be a target for a team with a QB that they may move off of in a year. Or one without a young QB, like Seattle if you assume Locke would like to find somewhere to be a starter after this season.

Can't say I'm surprised by this development. Guys like Beatherd, Mullens, etc. will be able to ride those games they got after Hoyer and Jimmy G got hurt in SF to be backups with experience around the NFL for a little longer.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So will Rourke clear waivers?

Probably, yeah.

But here are the top teams to watch that could be a landing spot:

Tampa Bay Bucs - Baker Mayfield is the starter, with Kyle Trask currently the backup. They have gone with 3 QBs on their roster in the past so that's not an issue and Rourke would be immediate competition with Trask for the QB2. This is probably the best landing spot for Rourke.

St. Lous Rams - Backup job for Stafford is wide-open with Stetson Bennett being awful in the pre-season. Kind of like this landing spot for Rourke.

Arizona Cardinals - Josh Dobbs & Clayton Tune holding the fort until Kyler Murray gets back. I think Tune could be an easy cut and practice squad stash and you give Rourke some backup reps to see what happens.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Due to multiple reasons, I ended up having to go to the game alone. I walked out with 5 minutes left in the 4th. First time I've left a sporting event before the final buzzer in years.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
It's too bad Rourke doesn't have a promoter/cheerleader with a say in personnel decisions on an NFL team like Kapp (Grant), Moon (Campbell) and Garcia (Walsh) did. It's also too bad the Bears weren't an option in the off-season because it's kind of sad that a guy just out of Division II is getting a shot at backup while Rourke is in waiver limbo.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still can't understand why Rourke and his agent picked Jacksonville in the first place. There was never a chance he was going to even earn the backup role.....it really didn't matter how he played.

But if he clears waiver-which is likely given the number of veteran QB's who've been released around the league--then hopefully he can make a better decision the next time around. There has to be some NFL clubs who took notice of his pre-season performance, and would give him a shot.

Said it before.....the team that should be interested is the NFL team just down the I-5. Gino Smith and Drew Locke are decent QB's but don't have much growth potential. And the Hawks really don't have a young QB in the pipeline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So will Rourke clear waivers?

Probably, yeah.

But here are the top teams to watch that could be a landing spot:

Tampa Bay Bucs - Baker Mayfield is the starter, with Kyle Trask currently the backup. They have gone with 3 QBs on their roster in the past so that's not an issue and Rourke would be immediate competition with Trask for the QB2. This is probably the best landing spot for Rourke.

St. Lous Rams - Backup job for Stafford is wide-open with Stetson Bennett being awful in the pre-season. Kind of like this landing spot for Rourke.

Arizona Cardinals - Josh Dobbs & Clayton Tune holding the fort until Kyler Murray gets back. I think Tune could be an easy cut and practice squad stash and you give Rourke some backup reps to see what happens.
Only Rams make sense for what you mentioned.

TB are tanking. Not AZ bad tanking but I doubt Rourke somehow moving up to QB2 does anything as TB going to draft a QB in round 1 of the draft and they wouldn’t dress 2 Young QBs in 2024. Backup would be a veteran.

AZ, kind of the same. Kyler will return. And that’s a bad roster. And tanking for the top pick. Expect them to go QB in the draft as well.

If Rourke has his chance to sign to the PS with another team then the likes of the rams, Seahawks, make more sense. Older veteran QB, current backup may not be there next season or has no resume in the nfl to leap frog over.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Only Rams make sense for what you mentioned.

TB are tanking. Not AZ bad tanking but I doubt Rourke somehow moving up to QB2 does anything as TB going to draft a QB in round 1 of the draft and they wouldn’t dress 2 Young QBs in 2024. Backup would be a veteran.

AZ, kind of the same. Kyler will return. And that’s a bad roster. And tanking for the top pick. Expect them to go QB in the draft as well.

If Rourke has his chance to sign to the PS with another team then the likes of the rams, Seahawks, make more sense. Older veteran QB, current backup may not be there next season or has no resume in the nfl to leap frog over.

These would still be good opportunities for him - what these teams are going to do in the future is largely irrelevant.

In terms of Tampa, if they claimed him he could potentially start games at some point this year and that's absolutely a great thing for Rourke regardless of what the team does in the off-season.

Arizona, basically the same thing. There are already rumors out there that Kyler might not be rushing to come back anytime soon this year and I think there's a real chance he would get in.

We are talking about a fringe/depth QB, I'm just trying to find places that might pick him up on waivers and those were the three I landed on. I know everyone points to the Seahawks but they are very likely only going to run with two QBs and Rourke isn't going to get given the backup job over Lock.

Still can't understand why Rourke and his agent picked Jacksonville in the first place. There was never a chance he was going to even earn the backup role.....it really didn't matter how he played.

Beathard wasn't even signed at the time and Rourke was going to face a similar battle almost everywhere he went. He was going to need to play well (which he did) and then have the backup falter. You keep pointing to Seattle, but the reality is Drew Lock was fine this pre-season as well and Rourke would have been in the same position there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These would still be good opportunities for him - what these teams are going to do in the future is largely irrelevant.

In terms of Tampa, if they claimed him he could potentially start games at some point this year and that's absolutely a great thing for Rourke regardless of what the team does in the off-season.

Arizona, basically the same thing. There are already rumors out there that Kyler might not be rushing to come back anytime soon this year and I think there's a real chance he would get in.

We are talking about a fringe/depth QB, I'm just trying to find places that might pick him up on waivers and those were the three I landed on. I know everyone points to the Seahawks but they are very likely only going to run with two QBs and Rourke isn't going to get given the backup job over Lock.

Beathard wasn't even signed at the time and Rourke was going to face a similar battle almost everywhere he went. He was going to need to play well (which he did) and then have the backup falter. You keep pointing to Seattle, but the reality is Drew Lock was fine this pre-season as well and Rourke would have been in the same position there.
Rourke has to learn a new playbook and system. Unlikely to see him pass someone else who has been with a team since camp or even into prior seasons. That's why I don't see TB as a real option. There are people still in the TB building that drafted Trask. At worst, they do want to see what he is before they part ways with him.

AZ, tire fire right now. Cut the only QB with any real experience who can play right now in McCoy.

The chances of Rourke getting any playing time this season in the NFL is remote. The teams that are committed to carry 3 QBs on the main roster, have their 3 guys in place. Most likely, there is a young guy in the mix, so they are not going to carry a 2nd young guy like Rourke.

He's most likely headed to a PS. So, he has to figure out what the best option is for him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rourke has to learn a new playbook and system. Unlikely to see him pass someone else who has been with a team since camp or even into prior seasons. That's why I don't see TB as a real option. There are people still in the TB building that drafted Trask. At worst, they do want to see what he is before they part ways with him.

Guys pass others on the depth chart during the season all the time and Mayfield has had injury issues. Would not be a shock to see multiple QBs get playing time in Tampa this year. As mentioned, it's an organization that has been fine keeping 3 QBs on the roster in the past so they're at least open to the idea. Not sure why you feel the need to dismiss this is a decent landing spot for Rourke if Tampa grabbed him - it's as good of an opportunity as any out there.

AZ, tire fire right now. Cut the only QB with any real experience who can play right now in McCoy.

McCoy sucks, that's why they cut him. Dobbs has experience with their OC and is a better QB. Again, another spot where there may be opportunities to move up the depth chart throughout the season. I think Rourke is better than Clayton Tune who is currently their #2 guy.

The chances of Rourke getting any playing time this season in the NFL is remote. The teams that are committed to carry 3 QBs on the main roster, have their 3 guys in place. Most likely, there is a young guy in the mix, so they are not going to carry a 2nd young guy like Rourke.

He's most likely headed to a PS. So, he has to figure out what the best option is for him.

Agreed that's very likely where he's headed. Will be interesting if he doubles down on the Jaguars situation or takes a shot elsewhere. The positive about Jacksonville is that with another year in the system he may have a legit shot at the backup job next year.

Either way he's done enough to stick around a PS this year in the NFL and will be on the 90man roster somewhere next year. Probably no chance you see him in the CFL this year and the very earliest would probably be around this time in 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad