Panarin coming home?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
At least one of Kane, Panarin, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat will need to play with Toews. Who do you put there?

If we assume that Panarin comes back and we can keep Saad:

Panarin - Schmaltz - Kane
DeBrincat - Toews - Saad

While I think that Panarin with Toews and Saad might be pretty good line also. Schmaltz, Kane and Panarin all like having the puck so they either work like one of the greatest line ever or they dont click at all.

After this season with Panarin:

Panarin - Toews - Saad
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - ”Shalunov” - ”Kahun”
Hayden - Kämpf - X

Maybe we play this season first and think these stuff next year. :)

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If we get Panarin next year, I hope either he goes on a different line and carries it like Kane does and/or they spread out the scoring more and put Saad on the 3rd line and get a crazy good bum slaying line. Panarin and Kane is fun, but Artemi is too good to be attached to Kane by the hip.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Saad - Toews - Shalunov
Panarin - Hayden - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Sikura

Roll some sick three lines.

Edit: fantasy summer boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Saad - Toews - Shalunov
Panarin - Hayden - Kane
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Sikura

Roll some sick three lines.

Edit: fantasy summer boys.
Jack Hughes is missing.
I’d even take Turcotte as a consolation prize. If CC isn’t manning the net this year, I’m not expecting much.

Eventually, Barratt, Kahun, Wise, Kurashev, Entwhistle, Altybarmakyan, Edjsell, and one or two others will be fighting it out for two or three spots. The competition will be amazing to see.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I honestly don't know if Panarin would sign here again if we traded Anisimov away. Those two weren't thick as thieves, but there seemed to be a good connection there due to the Russian factor. I even remember seeing Bread hanging with Arty's kids quite a bit when he was here.

So if we sign him next year, it'll have to come at the expense of other multi-million dollar contracts like Murphy's (as well as letting Rutta, Kruger, and Ward walk).

Year after, Crow's cap hit will be gone. If he's relatively healthy, we can re-sign him for half his cap and use him in a 1A/1B scenario. Make it a bit easier to re-sign DeBrincat. Could also trade Anisimov at that point, seeing as Panarin would be signed for years.

After that, you can only hope a buyout for Seabs to help afford some of the other guys (Jokiharju, Boqvist, Mitchell, etc) who'll eventually need to be re-signed.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’d even take Turcotte as a consolation prize. If CC isn’t manning the net this year, I’m not expecting much.

Eventually, Barratt, Kahun, Wise, Kurashev, Entwhistle, Altybarmakyan, Edjsell, and one or two others will be fighting it out for two or three spots. The competition will be amazing to see.

Lose a lot for Turcotte.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Earlier I posted about the only recent small guy playing with a top two-way center is Marchand with Bergeron.

This was in response to BK saying DeBrincat can go with Toews.

For fun I googled “DeBrincat Marchand” and stumbled across this article 2016 Draft Profiles: Little And Lethal

He will never be among the NHL's physical forces, but he's a lethal goalscorer who is more than capable of holding his own in physical battles despite his relatively small size and loves to get under the opposition's skin.

The Bruins (or indeed any team that drafts him) could have Brad Marchand 2.0 fall into their laps with DeBrincat - only Brad Marchand with talents skewed even more towards goalscoring.

This is from a few years back, but even then this guy saw Cat as a future bulldog type player. I don’t know if we saw much of that gritty agitating play last year, but could that be coming as he gets older and more confident?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Earlier I posted about the only recent small guy playing with a top two-way center is Marchand with Bergeron.

For fun I googled “DeBrincat Marchand” and stumbled across this article 2016 Draft Profiles: Little And Lethal

This is from a few years back, but even then this guy saw Cat as a future bulldog type player. I don’t know if we saw much of that gritty agitating play last year, but could that be coming as he gets older and more confident?

That's a tall order for Cat, but by all means bring it on. I'd love it - Marchand types are rare indeed. That said, I think Cat has already shown that he's a sniper and that is what Hawks need on offense. He just needs to be utilized properly.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's a tall order for Cat, but by all means bring it on. I'd love it - Marchand types are rare indeed. That said, I think Cat has already shown that he'a sniper and that is what Hawks need on offense. He just needs to be utilized properly.

Right, that’s how I see him as well. A small guy who gets in good position and snipes.

Maybe he’s like a reverse Marchand, then offense shows first, then the grit develops as he gets older.

Apparently it’s in his makeup, and he has shown it at lower levels according to this guy. I never realized he had the potential to have that element though

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I've seen Cat get pissed off during scuffles after the whistle, but it's not alot. But he doesn't need to be as dirty as Marchand nor as gritty to be effective, especially as Bobby said with a team that doesn't have many snipers on it (please come back next season Artemi).

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I've seen Cat get pissed off during scuffles after the whistle, but it's not alot. But he doesn't need to be as dirty as Marchand nor as gritty to be effective, especially as Bobby said with a team that doesn't have many snipers on it (please come back next season Artemi).

Ya, Marchand’s idiot side is definitely not what we want, but a little grit/agitator to go with that offense ability would be awesome. If that’s there, I can see why Q wants to put him with Toews.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's a tall order for Cat, but by all means bring it on. I'd love it - Marchand types are rare indeed. That said, I think Cat has already shown that he's a sniper and that is what Hawks need on offense. He just needs to be utilized properly.

I asked the guys over in the Erie Otters thread about this, here are two responses.

While Debrincat certainly can play fearless in terms of hits, grinding, and board play he doesnt agitate quite the way Marchand does. I also dont think Debrincat is as dirty of a player which is one reason Marchand is a successful agitator.
However I do agree Debrincat has the potential to play as a top line winger because of his ability to score.

Debrincat is not afraid of getting physical or playing the game on the edge.. he’s done it in the past and has shown he can have a hot head when provoked. Nothing to the extent of Marchand though.
Like Puck Patrol mentioned, Debrincat isn’t really looking for trouble or to play that dirty game. That being said, I do think he’s fearless and totally willing if or when he has to. It’s partly why I felt he would have a shot to be successful in the nhl. Yes he’s undersized but a) he has a knack for avoiding big hits and dangerous areas and b) he will play on the edge and shows either verbally or physically that he can handle it all.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Id love to see panarin and toews carry a line and schmaltz-kane carry a line and mix around saad debrincat through the lineup

That'd be a pretty sick three line rotation, and potentially more dangerous than the three lines Pittsburgh won back to back cups with.

Panarin-Toews-??
??-Schmaltz-Kane
Saad-??-DeBrincat

Plus, you have a good mix of veteran (Toews and Kane), prime-aged (Panarin and Saad), and young (Schmaltz and DeBrincat) players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

check out some of Cat's fights in the OHL...the kid doesn't back down - he took on 6'6 McCarron, it was priceless!!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Cat hits 40 this year,that is my expectation as long as Q doesn't sabotage him and continually confuse him and Kunitz. Wild Bill Karlsson hit 40 out of nowhere, this kid is an elite goal scorer that if given more than 14 freaking minutes a night, WILL hit 40 goals this year.

Imagine getting this production which is all very reasonable and in reach-

Cat - 40 goals
Kane - 30 goals
Saad - 25 goals
Schmaltz - 25 goals

I am not even putting Toews or AA or Sikura in there...just these 4 having modest increases in production (and for Kane and Saad it is more in line with normal production), that is a big jump and a number of wins right here with all those 1 goal loses we had.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think Cat hits 40 this year,that is my expectation as long as Q doesn't sabotage him and continually confuse him and Kunitz. Wild Bill Karlsson hit 40 out of nowhere, this kid is an elite goal scorer that if given more than 14 freaking minutes a night, WILL hit 40 goals this year.

Cat - 40 goals
Kane - 30 goals
Saad - 25 goals
Schmaltz - 25 goals

I am not even putting Toews or AA or Sikura in there...just these 4 having modest increases in production (and for Kane and Saad it is more in line with normal production), that is a big jump and a number of wins right here with all those 1 goal loses we had.

Wouldn't that be wonderful! Luckily no one woke you up in the middle of that dream. :)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Cat - 40 goals
Kane - 30 goals
Saad - 25 goals
Schmaltz - 25 goals

And then imagine adding Panarin and Hughes to that group next year.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Which part is not realistic? Debrincat getting 40 might be much but 35 goals is not even close to unrealistic.
Exactly.

I am just doing basic math here.

Cat almost hit 30 goals playing bottom 6 roles for half the year, playing under 15 minutes a night 75% of the time...maybe 40 is a bit much, but I see him as having much more to show here and if given the chance to play with Kane for stretches....not sure that 40 is that much of a dream to be honest.

To see a player like Cat almost hit 30 completely misused for much of the season, IF...and I mean IF actually used correctly he should hit 40 goals. My opinion, but it is well in reach for him.

If I am dreaming because Q needs to utilize him correctly, then yeah I agree, but he will be shown the door prior to completely burying him.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I read from one Finnish article that Friedmann has told in Vancouver radio show that Bowman has offered 1st 2019, Murphy and Joker for Panarin. Is this legit?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I read from one Finnish article that Friedmann has told in Vancouver radio show that Bowman has offered 1st 2019, Murphy and Joker for Panarin. Is this legit?
Hope not. Don't care for Murphy, but Jokiharju and a likely top 10 pick next year is a lot to part with for one guaranteed year of Panarin. Especially when we all know we won't be competing for jack this year.

Reactions: migi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad