Panarin coming home?

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Well, that certainly would be one way to use the cap space from yesterday. If Panarin really wants to come back, assuming it's not a ludicrous contract, it seems that the Hawks could make it work next year.

Columbus is in a tough spot right now. One year left on the contract before he's a UFA, it's going to be tough to convince a lot of teams to trade a lot for him when the other team knows he can walk next year. If he's got his sights set on coming back to Chicago, maybe the Hawks can take advantage.

What would it take to trade for him? Anisimov (played under Torts before, has 3 years on his contract of "cost certainty" for CBJ) plus other futures is my first thought.

Of course they could wait a year til he's UFA and trade nothing too, but then you run the risk of him being dealt to another team he's comfortable signing long-term with.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
His agent wants $9-$11mn per. If the Hawks don't re sign Kruger, Ward, and Kunitz ... that will give them $9.2mn in cap space next year.

Obviously, we need to take care of our younger RFAs next year ... but I'm sure the Hawks are still looking to unload some veteran contracts by next year.

Erik Karlsson wants something like $11mn+ next year. Because the Hawks drafted so many DMen recently ... they could be looking to forwards for free agency in 2019.

Let's hope Crow is healthy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
1 year of Panarin is not bringing back a player of Schmaltz or Debrincats caliber, let alone adding something on top of it.

They'll get a 1st, and a top prospect that hasn't proven anything yet. (like a Jokiharu, or Forsling)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
1 year of Panarin is not bringing back a player of Schmaltz or Debrincats caliber, let alone adding something on top of it.

They'll get a 1st, and a top prospect that hasn't proven anything yet. (like a Jokiharu, or Forsling)
No way we trade for Panarin NOW unless we can staple Seabrook's contract in the trade. And I highly doubt Seabrook wants to live in CBus even if they were crazy enough to take his contract along with other assets.

The Hawks are not looking to contend next year. The Hawks are targeting 2019-2020. The signings of Ward, Manning, and Kunitz should tell you that.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Panarin signs a Kucherov-type deal with us (9.5M x 7)

Anisimov is moved, in hopes that Edjsell can play his role.
Murphy is moved, in hopes that Jokiharju or Mitchell are NHL ready.

Forsling signs bridge (2.25 x 2)
Schmaltz gets extension (5.75 x 6)

This is what you get...

Panarin - Edjsell - Kane
Saad - Schmaltz - Debrincat
Sikura - Toews - Hayden
Kahun - Kampf - UFA

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Manning - Seabrook
Gustafsson

Crawford
Delia

The year after Seabrook HAS to go.. if we can't figure out a way, we'd need to move Saad, and hope Hayden/Sikura can play top 6 to accomodate Debrincat's raise.

Panarin - Toews - Debrincat
Sikura - Schmaltz - Kane
Kahun - Edjsell - Hayden
Soderlund - Kampf - _____

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Rutta
Boqvist - Seabrook

Crawford
Delia

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I think Columbus could get a 1st and a 1B prospect for the breadman at the trade deadline. I'd offer a lottery protected pick and prospect if he's willing to sign under 10 million.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If a trade is made, one of Cat, or Schmaltz, and likely another large piece, are not here anymore.
When Stan makes a trade he gives away valuable players like Panarin for peanuts, but when he needs to come back gold has to go the other way. That’s your hero Stan the Man :)

Reactions: BHFAN92

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think Columbus could get a 1st and a 1B prospect for the breadman at the trade deadline. I'd offer a lottery protected pick and prospect if he's willing to sign under 10 million.
Why? Panarin already loves Chicago. If anyone knows how much Panarin wants to come back next year, it's Stan Bowman and Patrick Kane. We can get him for just cap space if Panarin is actually serious about coming back to Chicago. I'm sure he wants to play with Patrick Kane again. They are hockey soulmates.

If Panarin hasn't signed an extension by the season, he'll test the market. However, he'll obviously ask for a NMC this time around if he seriously considers the Hawks.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yeah, forgot he isn't extending prior, so it's only 1 year. :thumbu:

Your assessment is more in line with what they'd probably get.

Kind of amusing thinking about the fact that rumors put the deal for Skinner/Faulk at Schmaltz + 1st, though. Much rather have Panarin than either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why? Panarin already loves Chicago. If anyone knows how much Panarin wants to come back next year, it's Stan Bowman and Patrick Kane. We can get him for just cap space if Panarin is actually serious about coming back to Chicago. I'm sure he wants to play with Patrick Kane again. They are hockey soulmates.

If Panarin hasn't signed an extension by the season, he'll test the market. However, he'll obviously ask for a NMC this time around if he seriously considers the Hawks.
I think theres a what if he's traded at the deadline to a team that does well concern that he might stay there.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Lose for Hughes. Sign Bread. Let Ward, Kunitz, Kruger and Rutta walk. Hello 11.5m in cap space. Trade Anisimov and Murphy. See cap grow 1-2m. There’s the extension money for Cat, Schmaltz and Sikura. Insert Joker and Boqvist. It’ll be young but a tonnnn of skill.

That’s the team I can see Bowman building toward with JC behind the bench.

Reactions: Rolo and migi

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Keep our powder dry. Tons of great options on the near term horizon. Panarin is definitely attainable (as a UFA). No go on Faulk, Skinner and Pacioretty. Don't reach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad