Panarin coming home?

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
The guy is nearly 30 with a lot of hard miles on him. I promise his next contract, whatever it'll end up being, will start to look bad by the half way point. So if it's between him, Panarin, or neither, I'd go with Panarin or neither.

I agree with this part- I wouldn't sign Patches long term bc of the age and term. But what do people think about a 1 yr rental? Especially if the cost is similar to the Skinner deal. Now, I know that Skinner had an NMC which complicated things for the Canes. But the Habs have similar leverage problems with Patches. Reports out of Montreal are that Bergevin has told him they have no intention of re-signing him. They won't have much leverage with other teams, and it's been reported they've been lowballed. Maybe the Habs hold out and wait to trade him at the deadline, but it's not like deadline deals have netted the best returns lately, either.

I don't think Patches automatically makes this unit a play off team, but they'd certainly be better with him. If it's a couple 2nd rounders an a low-level Pu type prospect, I think you make the move.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I agree with this part- I wouldn't sign Patches long term bc of the age and term. But what do people think about a 1 yr rental? Especially if the cost is similar to the Skinner deal. Now, I know that Skinner had an NMC which complicated things for the Canes. But the Habs have similar leverage problems with Patches. Reports out of Montreal are that Bergevin has told him they have no intention of re-signing him. They won't have much leverage with other teams, and it's been reported they've been lowballed. Maybe the Habs hold out and wait to trade him at the deadline, but it's not like deadline deals have netted the best returns lately, either.

I don't think Patches automatically makes this unit a play off team, but they'd certainly be better with him. If it's a couple 2nd rounders an a low-level Pu type prospect, I think you make the move.
We're not competing this year when we have the type of defense that we currently have and with Crow's issues.

If we were offered him for free, with the only strings attached being that we couldn't later trade him, I don't know if I would even go for that. Again, we're not competing. Getting him would hurt our lottery position for next year's draft. Crappy situation to be in, but it is what it is.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
We're not competing this year when we have the type of defense that we currently have and with Crow's issues.

If we were offered him for free, with the only strings attached being that we couldn't later trade him, I don't know if I would even go for that. Again, we're not competing. Getting him would hurt our lottery position for next year's draft. Crappy situation to be in, but it is what it is.

Even though the a Hawks have done fairly well drafting in later rounds, the % of 2nd rounders or later that become NHLers, let alone impact players, is not that great. My thought process was more that it was a pretty low risk situation. I get your points, though. I don't think it's a guarantee that the Hawks are a bottom 10 team next year, but the stars would have to align in a big way for them to be actually competitive. Still, even the lottery is a crap shot. If it's a move that helps the Hawks at little cost, I'd still rather go for it than fully embrace the tank. But your position is fair and probably more realistic haha.

Maybe they wait until training camp- might have a better idea of where Crawford's status is at if he's actually taken the ice by then. I'm not holding my breath but we'll see.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like Patches and would be interested in getting him if you could give him like a 4 year deal instead of the 6-7 year deal he'll probably want.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Not that it matters (hypothetical situation), but I strongly disagree with that.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If we assume that Panarin comes back and we can keep Saad:

Panarin - Schmaltz - Kane
DeBrincat - Toews - Saad

While I think that Panarin with Toews and Saad might be pretty good line also. Schmaltz, Kane and Panarin all like having the puck so they either work like one of the greatest line ever or they dont click at all.

After this season with Panarin:

Panarin - Toews - Saad
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - ”Shalunov” - ”Kahun”
Hayden - Kämpf - X

Maybe we play this season first and think these stuff next year. :)

I was thinking about your lines. Panarin-Schmaltz-Kane could be an insane line that could carry the Hawks to a Penguins-like resurgence.

Assuming you play DeBrincat and Saad with Toews this year (they should be stuck together on the second line), you then get one more season to assess which of the two is more important going forward (guessing it will be DeBrincat).

If Toews’ line can provide an average 50+ points while matching up against top forwards whenever possible, you’re going to on the path to pretty good shape.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Anyone see Panarin's picture on NHL.com? Looks like he's channeling his inner Patrick Kane with that hair. lol

8478550.jpg

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad