Panarin coming home?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you really think posters can compartmentalize your reputation to just this thread? There's a reason you have a reputation. I think almost everyone on this board can agree that you tend to push a narrative than be objective ... not that there is anything wrong with it.

There's a reason why I always cringe before I read your posts. I know it's going to be negative with your personal spin. You're entitled to your opinions ... but you'd have more credibility if your posts aren't always so negative. You can't feign exasperation at the responses when that's the exactly what you wanted. That's disingenuous.
funny that he is bringing up quotes from a year ago in this thread, when older quotes he made brought back up has buried whatever little credibility he had here.

I still am okay with the trade because I know that:
1. Saad will bounce back. Not going to overreact to outlier of a year which anyone that doesn't have their head up their ass can firmly see.
2. We needed that bigger bodied player that can open up ice and play a better two way game...that was what Saad did here prior to his trade and what he will do again.
3. We now have the chance to get Panarin back as a free agent, and though that likely really couldn't have been known at the time, it had to be a possibility for Bowman and Panarin himself if the trade was explained correctly to Artemi which it seems he held no ill will to. Plus Kane is his boy, that means a lot when it comes to wanting to play on a team when you line up with a player you truly respect and like.

I wish we still had Panarin, but I believe Saad will be that 50 point two way player again this year making the trade look pretty much a wash, only we get to keep Saad and Columbus will lose their breadman.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
First off, it's been a whole 1 year since the trade. Saad had a bad year, no doubt. Panarin looks like he is leaving CLB so it didn't turn out too great for them either, did it? And what if Panarin left the Hawks after this coming year and the Hawks got nothing for him. The only thing you can claim is that he should have traded Panarin for a better return than Saad. That said, if Saad returns to Saad, the trade is fine. I'm not giving up on Saad like you.

The other thing I posted about needing more defensive type players than Panarin type players is still true to this day.

Superstar Saad, that is.

I said before and I still think that Saad would be the better player to have in playoff competition. Now if Hawks can only get there, so he can prove it.

As I stated earlier, Saad doesn't have the soft hands to play a big offensive role and doesn't utilize his size as well as he could. Therefore I think a 3rd line role is best for him but I also realize that that is difficult to implement with the current roster.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What would you guys give up for a full season of Panarin plus a chance to lock him up before UFA? Obviously you get permission to speak with agent, have Kane talk to him on the low before parting with assets but I’d consider it for the right price.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
What would you guys give up for a full season of Panarin plus a chance to lock him up before UFA? Obviously you get permission to speak with agent, have Kane talk to him on the low before parting with assets but I’d consider it for the right price.

His value is not that high because he clearly has already cutted the team list in to 3 to 6 teams. I’d take the gamble.

Answering to this hypothetical, I don’t really know. Some prospect and couple picks? This is like Skinner’s situation, I dont think teams want to gamble with Artemi. Obviously Skinner had NMC so he could dodge trades which Panarin can’t.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Not trading for Panarin. If he wants to come back next year, there’s cap space but it seems unnecessary to give up assets for a guy that wants to come back next season as a UFA when we really aren’t competing this year.

Only reason I would give up assets is if it’s a sign and trade at an absolute sweetheart of a contract.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I love how people are still defending the move, hockey knowledge in here is simply lacking. That’s not meant to an insult it’s just reality...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I understand why the trade was made, which obviously a very few on here to this day still can't.. I know it is a bad deal RIGHT NOW, but trades aren't looked at in vacuums and aren't based on a single year. Some of us have optimism for what Saad has proven for 4 years that he can do again, and if he does that, the deal comes closer to a wash than a one-sided shit fest we heard this year. Also have to factor in the contracts and that we needed a longer term cost controlled player at the time which some still forget.

The fact that we could land Panarin back is absolutely glorious and something that would crash HF yet again!!

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I understand why the trade was made, which obviously a very few on here to this day still can't.. I know it is a bad deal RIGHT NOW, but trades aren't looked at in vacuums and aren't based on a single year. Some of us have optimism for what Saad has proven for 4 years that he can do again, and if he does that, the deal comes closer to a wash than a one-sided **** fest we heard this year. Also have to factor in the contracts and that we needed a longer term cost controlled player at the time which some still forget.

The fact that we could land Panarin back is absolutely glorious and something that would crash HF yet again!!
Logic? Ew. You clearly lack hockey knowledge.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
I don’t get criticism about the Hawks for trading Panarin at all, especially with how it's turning out for CBJ. CBJ is in a super shitty situation. Panarin’s agent has made it clear to the team that he isn’t interested in re-signing, so what do they do?

They have 3 options- 1) Trade him this summer 2) Trade him at the deadline 3) Let him walk for nothing. The market for 1 yr rentals - Skinner, Pacioretty, etc- is pretty terrible right now. Panarin is obviously better than either guy, but he’s also made it clear that he’s going to be very selective about the type place he wants to sign long term. That’s going to make some teams wary about making a move on him or bring down their offers. Moving him at the deadline? CBJ is a play off team as is, it’d be really tough to move your # 1 guy right before the playoffs start. You definitely aren’t trading within the division, and recent deadline moves haven’t netted amazing returns. Then what are you left with, getting nothing for him? I know Saad had a bad year but that would be terrible for CBJ to have given him up for essentially a 2 year rental for Panarin. Unless they win the cup this year, all you'd get without a trade was regular season success and some play off exits.

The Hawks didn't want to find themselves in the same dilemma CBJ faces right now. Maybe you can argue the Hawks should have traded Panarin for a d-man but we don’t know what Stan was offered. Beyond that, Saad has 3 more years on his deal with the Hawks. Let’s wait and see if he regresses to the mean for his career numbers before we declare him dead in the water at age 25.

Reactions: Drunk Patrick Kane

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah, to be honest, Stan is freerolling at this point. Either he gets Saad for two more years and/or Breadman comes back to Chicago for cap space. That said, it's still probably a loss because there is no way Stan knew this at the time of the trade, although Panarin going to UFA was a huge factor in him being traded, so can't discount that.

Reactions: NoHuman

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
Yeah, to be honest, Stan is freerolling at this point. Either he gets Saad for two more years and/or Breadman comes back to Chicago for cap space. That said, it's still probably a loss because there is no way Stan knew this at the time of the trade, although Panarin going to UFA was a huge factor in him being traded, so can't discount that.

Yeah, I don’t think he envisioned every aspect of it haha. I don’t think they had some secret handshake agreement that Panarin was going to go to CBJ for 2 years and then leave them high and dry to reunite in Chicago once they moved Hossa’s deal. Ahaha that’d be some conspiracy theory shit ;)

But I do think Bowman made the trade because he saw this type of UFA situation evolving. With the deals the Hawks have on the books, they knew it would be pretty tough to renew Panarin after his bridge deal ended. But all of this is that’s sort of why I don’t see Panarin to the Hawks actually happening. He may want to come back and the Hawks probably want that too, but then they would have $30 million or more tied to 3 players. Like I said, I think it’s fair to argue whether or not they made the right trade in going for a top 6 forward and an unproven backup goalie. But I don’t think it’s fair to criticize moving him. Panarin on the Hawks last year doesn’t make them a play off team, not with an injured Crawford. Or even if they miraculously snuck in, they would have gotten steamrolled in the 1st round.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks can make it happen, it will just require some other pieces to fall in place. Trading Anisimov, Murphy, etc. They'll have Joker and Mitchell ready to join. Cap probably goes up 1-2 mil again as well.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
Hawks can make it happen, it will just require some other pieces to fall in place. Trading Anisimov, Murphy, etc. They'll have Joker and Mitchell ready to join. Cap probably goes up 1-2 mil again as well.

Yeah, I think they could do it, the question is whether it would be the best choice to commit that much money. I'm fine with trading Arty. It's probably easier now with some of the overpays around the league. Suddenly, $4.5 million for a center who scores as often as he does doesn't seem so bad. Well, that's my hope anyway haha. Their center depth isn't great so you'd have to have a plan in mind to fill that void.

Maybe I'm in a different boat than others on this board but I'm not sure Murphy will be traded so soon? I guess that depends a lot on if he has a better season and on how the D prospects develop.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Let’s say you can sign Pacioretty for a JVR-like deal next offseason. Do you go that route and pair him with Toews, or do you spend the extra ~$2 million per year for Panarin?

Panarin is about 3 years younger than Pacioretty, but Pacioretty is a consistent 30-40 goal scorer with size and two-way ability. Basically Pacioretty is what the Hawks were hoping Saad would be, and he could potentially do a better job than Saad at filling the void left by Hossa. Maybe Saad bounces back and fills his own void. (Side note, Bowman miscalculated Saad’s past and present impact on Toews. It always was Hossa’s presence that helped Toews, Saad was the nice finishing piece on that line.)

Saad-Toews-Pacioretty could be the new version of Saad-Toews-Hossa.

Also, assuming a new coach comes in, Kane then already has his current and future linemates in Schmaltz and DeBrincat. While getting Panarin back would be fantastic, DeBrincat and Schmaltz will likely combine in far surpassing the production Panarin and a 3rd line center would provide with Kane.

If I had to choose one, I’d have a hard time choosing. Considering age, playing style, cost, and lineup impact it’s a tough call. Selfishly, I like Panarin better, but I could see an argument that Pacioretty makes the team better overall while saving a million+ per year.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Let’s say you can sign Pacioretty for a JVR-like deal next offseason. Do you go that route and pair him with Toews, or do you spend the extra ~$2 million per year for Panarin?

Panarin is about 3 years younger than Pacioretty, but Pacioretty is a consistent 30-40 goal scorer with size and two-way ability. Basically Pacioretty is what the Hawks were hoping Saad would be, and he could potentially do a better job than Saad at filling the void left by Hossa. Maybe Saad bounces back and fills his own void. (Side note, Bowman miscalculated Saad’s past and present impact on Toews. It always was Hossa’s presence that helped Toews, Saad was the nice finishing piece on that line.)

Saad-Toews-Pacioretty could be the new version of Saad-Toews-Hossa.

Also, assuming a new coach comes in, Kane then already has his current and future linemates in Schmaltz and DeBrincat. While getting Panarin back would be fantastic, DeBrincat and Schmaltz will likely combine in far surpassing the production Panarin and a 3rd line center would provide with Kane.

If I had to choose one, I’d have a hard time choosing. Considering age, playing style, cost, and lineup impact it’s a tough call. Selfishly, I like Panarin better, but I could see an argument that Pacioretty makes the team better overall while saving a million+ per year.

For me, game-breaking talent in Panarin and you figure out the rest when you need to. We would not be in cap problems in next two years at least and we get rid of Seabrook when/if the problems start. Those young Dmen hopefully provides the help.

We need the new superstar in prime. Let’s assume Kane ages well and he will be ppg player his whole contract. Panarin would be also if he gets that 7 years and he would be 33 by when his contract expires.

Our main core in three years: Kane, Panarin, Toews, Cat, Schmaltz, Boqvist, Mitchell, Forsling and Jokiharju. With Hayden, Sikura and perhaps others if not cap casualties.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
For me, game-breaking talent in Panarin and you figure out the rest when you need to. We would not be in cap problems in next two years at least and we get rid of Seabrook when/if the problems start. Those young Dmen hopefully provides the help.

We need the new superstar in prime. Let’s assume Kane ages well and he will be ppg player his whole contract. Panarin would be also if he gets that 7 years and he would be 33 by when his contract expires.

Our main core in three years: Kane, Panarin, Toews, Cat, Schmaltz, Boqvist, Mitchell, Forsling and Jokiharju. With Hayden, Sikura and perhaps others if not cap casualties.

At least one of Kane, Panarin, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat will need to play with Toews. Who do you put there?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

At least one of Kane, Panarin, Schmaltz, and DeBrincat will need to play with Toews. Who do you put there?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Debrincat.

I’m all for it, assuming there’s support on the other wing and not an endless rotation of 3rd and 4th liners.

Is there a precident for having one of the smallest players in the league playing a shutdown role against top forward competition?

Obviously size isn’t everything, but when was the last time a guy his size did it?

Marchand playing with Bergeron is the closest comp i can think of. Ignoring that Marchand is a few inches taller, which doesn’t make much difference, Marchand plays like a rabid wild animal. DeBrincat’s style is definitely different than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad