Rumor: P. Kane to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
saw this in the main forums...this was during the playoffs when his hip had already had the issues apparently...

I think he will be just fine on our team...even at 75%
There is hip issues and there is recovering from hip resurfacing. Look up the photo that Kesler sent out when he had his hips peeled open. It's the massive trauma to all the muscles around the joint that cause the issues with a return to hockey.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
There is hip issues and there is recovering from hip resurfacing. Look up the photo that Kesler sent out when he had his hips peeled open. It's the massive trauma to all the muscles around the joint that cause the issues with a return to hockey.
makes so much sense now that you like cats. explains nearly everything.

I get what your saying. I bet he will be just fine.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I get what your saying. I bet he will be just fine.

I like the optimism, but I'm afraid those expressing concerns are quite valid this time. I had a conversation last week with a buddy who is an orthopedic surgeon who has treated professional athletes and he was not very optimistic about Kane's long-term outcome.

Previously I expressed that the other guys were worse off, so maybe Kane will beat the odds, but in getting clarification from the surgeon I trust, I'm a lot less bullish. I'm down for a 1 year deal, but if the rumor is true that he's holding out for 2 years then I think let him play his farewell tour in Buffalo.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I like the optimism, but I'm afraid those expressing concerns are quite valid this time. I had a conversation last week with a buddy who is an orthopedic surgeon who has treated professional athletes and he was not very optimistic about Kane's long-term outcome.

Previously I expressed that the other guys were worse off, so maybe Kane will beat the odds, but in getting clarification from the surgeon I trust, I'm a lot less bullish. I'm down for a 1 year deal, but if the rumor is true that he's holding out for 2 years then I think let him play his farewell tour in Buffalo.
definitely would only want 1 year to start and see what happens from there.

Didn't know the 2 years was a for sure thing, thought it was just rumors.........

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
definitely would only want 1 year to start and see what happens from there.

Didn't know the 2 years was a for sure thing, thought it was just rumors.........

It is just rumors. But most of these guys want more guaranteed money than less, so it makes sense. The rumors out of Buffalo are reputable so he's definitely talking with them.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
People's fascination with this is so befuddling to me. Like they are enamored with 2018 Patrick Kane "but at 65%". That is not what we are talking about. Like at all. This surgery is a flat out career ender. It has ended half a dozen very significant careers and every time someone has it done it's always "I'm in great shape and I'm coming back from this" until they are signed and totally crap the bed.

"Just throw him on the 2nd Line and let him generate all that sweet offense!" and "He's worth a flyer on the 2nd PP! Gotta be better than <insert player who you hate>".

No... just not... Like I said multiple times in this thread, he will be lucky to walk semi-normally after this surgery let alone skate in the NHL. I would tell you to watch Backstrom and his total and complete inability to pivot and turn on his hip and he makes the biggest, slowest, loop ever to get back into a play that passed him 6 seconds ago, but he's already retired himself just 8 games into the season.

My issue with this is even overlooking his age, cost, term, obvious decline the last three seasons, personality, etc. - I do not trust at all that he will recover to the point where he will even be semi-passible on the ice and he's going to straight up eat a dozen games of choice offensive minutes that should be going to someone who actually has working appendages, the ability to positively affect our team, and a future.

I would rather give these minutes to Zadina if we could reverse-trebuchet him back to the Wings over Kane because at least I would get a guy who could skate and I know wasn't a near 99% chance to fail (okay, he's probably still 95%). Those are valuable minutes to give to a team that's looking to grow and tossing them to a literal 1-legged, 35 year old player because he doesn't want to give up yet is absolute bonkers.

Move on from this idea.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Move on from this idea.

Make me, cowboy! Or are those pistols just for show?

I still think the potential benefits outweigh any negatives you've established, assuming it's not a multi-year deal that turns into LTIR. Kane has elite vision and hands and he's still going to be a factor out there, so why not have him be a Band-Aid player while the Wings are still building.

I also like what it says about the Wings that they'd even be considered among teams like the Rangers and Florida, who have much better recent track records. Perception is important when courting players for trades or free agency. Kane sniffing around the Wings adds a little air of "Hey, they don't suck anymore."

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like on some level if his injury is as bad as some people keep saying it is then nobody will sign him anyways

noones giving him millions of dollars without at least like watching him practice or something

Reactions: Snuggs

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Make me, cowboy! Or are those pistols just for show?

I still think the potential benefits outweigh any negatives you've established, assuming it's not a multi-year deal that turns into LTIR. Kane has elite vision and hands and he's still going to be a factor out there, so why not have him be a Band-Aid player while the Wings are still building.

I also like what it says about the Wings that they'd even be considered among teams like the Rangers and Florida, who have much better recent track records. Perception is important when courting players for trades or free agency. Kane sniffing around the Wings adds a little air of "Hey, they don't suck anymore."
I like when this Bench guy posts

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
1 year is worth the risk 2 years is not, I too was ignorant of the surgery but still figured 1 year flier was fine. 2 years isn't worth even if he goes to LTIR.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I feel like on some level if his injury is as bad as some people keep saying it is then nobody will sign him anyways

noones giving him millions of dollars without at least like watching him practice or something
They honestly shouldn't.

That's the end of Kesler's femur not really attached to anything. In order to put the metal cap on the end of the femur you basically have to detach the leg and then reattach it. The muscles and other soft tissue supporting the joint don't like that. That's what they did to Backstrom who couldn't rely on smarts and hands to get by and is now done. And he was no less talented than Kane.

Andy Murray has probably had the most successful athlete returns from one of these surgeries but he had it done at around 30, not 34/35. And even then Murray went from a top 3 caliber tennis player to barely crawling back into the top 50 four years after the surgery. That'd be like a middle of the pack AHLer in hockey terms.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Lol, yeah I mean... he's going to have to pass a physical and hold up in practice before playing.

He's been skating since September and able to work out since the end of that month. After December will be 6 months from his surgery. (I believe).

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think Kane has a chance to make a successful comeback because of his size. The others who have done this are a lot taller, and that puts more pressure on the joints.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Kane is probably done as a high level player. Go out, play 14 minutes a night, a lot on the power play, can probably still be effective just because there is less physical stress and there is enough space for him to put his still impressive IQ and abilities to work. But I would bet the days of him being a guy to play 18+ a night and being a force at ES is gone.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would rather give these minutes to Zadina if we could reverse-trebuchet him back to the Wings over Kane because at least I would get a guy who could skate and I know wasn't a near 99% chance to fail (okay, he's probably still 95%). Those are valuable minutes to give to a team that's looking to grow and tossing them to a literal 1-legged, 35 year old player because he doesn't want to give up yet is absolute bonkers.

Move on from this idea.

That's going a bit too far, I'd rather have Kane out there on adaptive ice walker skates than see Zadina on this team again. He's on pace to set the NHL record for negative +/-.

I've kinda given up on Kane though after Backstrom threw in the towel. I was hoping they've made some advances on surgical techniques, but that does not appear to be the case. I guess it's time for some Coney Dog rumors, Kessel is still available.

Reactions: Sentinel

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Why would Kane want to come here?

it's not happening
Apparently, it's because of DeBrincat. We are, at best, a wild card team this season, so it can't be a crack at the postseason.

Of the rumored finalists for his services:
1. Rangers. They currently have $643k in actual cap space. With Adam Fox on LTIR, they have $10.2m of space, but it sounds like he's expected to return on 29 November against, guess who? Us. So, the Rangers have no room.
2. Panthers. They currently have $615k of cap space.

That leaves two finalists that could actually sign him: Us and Buffalo. The questions then becomes, does he wanna play in his hometown? Do the Sabres even want to sign him? Does he want to play here instead, despite his noted dislike of Detroit? Does Yzerman have interest in signing him? If he doesn't sign with us or Buffalo, there's not many teams out there at all with the cap space available to make a deal.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Because he loves DeBrincat more than winning🤣
you laugh but think about it. He comes here at 4 mil or 5. He lights it up but we are still not at the point of contending as yzerman would still feel like we are missing pieces. He ends up trading kane because his stock is crazy high at 50% retained to a contender. All of a sudden, we have a semi-free pickup that can be traded for massive gains.

disclaimer: my interpretation of "massive" in this way of thinking is a free 1st rounder + maybe a prospect that has been in the ahl for a year and is stuck because of "x" reason but has nothing to do with his gameplay. To a lesser degree, think berggren here or a solid goalie maybe.

Would nj devils be willing to trade their 1st + mercer/holtz (yes i know they are on the team but their fan base seems to dislike them a lot, probably for a good reason but may need a change of scenery so early in their career?) for a 2.5 mil kane that is producing on a fringe team and could possibly extend with them if he enjoys the point producing potential alongside hughes or hischier?

This is just an example to go off of people.

edit: if this trade proposal type is a potential thing, i would go more for mercer since he has played center/wing instead of holtz who doesn't play center at all. I think have more center style wingers vs pure wingers is better to have more of throughout the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad