Rumor: P. Kane to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So skip Kane and sign Zetterberg. I trust Z's body more than Kane's...
why-not-both-why-not.gif

lets bring in Jagr too and make a line out of it

Reactions: Konnan511

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
We aren't even close to a playoff team as is, so adding a 35 year old Patty Kane isn't the piece we need to suddenly be considered a playoff team. Until management (and coaching) can admit they've made mistakes by bringing in too many washed up D, this team isn't even remotely close to the playoffs. The hot start was fun, but it looks like those were the anomalies, and the team is still straight up bad.

Larkin is pointless in 5 straight, and has 2 points in 7 games in November.
DeBrincat has picked it up of late, but still only has 4 points in November.
The team has lost 8 of it's lat 11 games.
The PP is absolutely struggling, and can't even set up in the offensive zone.
The team D is in shambles, and has allowed a whopping 24 goals against in the last 6 games.

We have NJ and Boston coming up here after a horrendous Sweden trip, so I completely expect the team to look disengaged and flat. I wish I could be more optimistic, but I'm a realist, and the reality is that the team sucks. The hot start is making it seem like were competitive, but give it 2 weeks and were closer to the bottom than we are to the playoffs.

Could they turn it around and play like they did in October? I guess they could, but until the team attempts to actually fix what is going wrong, nothing will change. Yzerman's reluctancy to make a move right now is worrisome...

but...YZERPLANNNNNNNNN and all that, right?
I actually think they are a lot close than you think.

I would agree with you 100% if you said this team is nowhere near ready to win the cup. This is a valid statement, but the team that is rostered this year is good enough to be in the race come late March. They have what it takes to squeak into the wild card seat.

We’ve seen what good goaltending can do for a team’s confidence. This team has a lot of warts though and there is still an enormous growing curve for some of the younger players, but to say this team is destined to miss the playoffs again is a certainty, I strongly disagree.

At the beginning of the season I was a lot more pessimistic than I am now after watching what they have to offer as an on ice product.

2 losses overseas is nothing to cry wolf about. I’m all for growing popularity for the league, but the pre season might have been better suited for such games. Or 1 single game vs 2

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We don't know Kane's health status. There was serious concern that Eichel wouldn't play again because he wouldn't be able to handle it after the surgery he had. Medical science improves every year, especially the kind that's available to millionaires in the US. And every case is different so it's hard to really infer much from the extremely small sample size of players who have had this surgery. If the Wings sign him I will assume they've done their due diligence.

Possible good scenarios with signing Kane:
- Could be just fine and be ready to contribute in a secondary role and PP boost with the occasional burst of his old self (ideal scenario)
- He could have complications but be capable of playing a specialized role with limited minutes (ok scenario)
- If Kane can maintain a halfway decent level of play until the deadline, he could be moved to a contender for a free asset if the Wings are still just a bubble team. That way even if he trails off after the initial rush of being back the Wings could potentially offload him and get something back before that happens.

Possible consequences of signing Kane:
- He isn't able to handle it at all from the start, or he breaks down mid-season, and has to go on LTIR until his contract expires at the end of the season. Unless your last name is Ilitch I don't see why you'd have an issue with that, you're not paying his salary. Not to mention insurance would likely be covering a large portion of it anyway.
- He is physically able to play but sucks and doesn't contribute. Oh well, we aren't short on the cap space and it comes off the books at the end of the season.

So there's lots of potential upside and the only potential downsides aren't really things that will have any negative impact on the team. That's assuming it's a 1yr deal of course, but I don't think he will be getting a multi-year deal regardless of what he's asking for. I say go for it.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Backstrom had his hip done in June 2022 and is still not right. Not sure what anyone expects to get from Kane this season.
Looking at it from the perspective of a team executive, it's leadership. Even though Kane wouldn't be wearing a letter on this or any other team he goes to, he does have cup wins under his belt as a member of a team he was a leader of at one time. The hope would be to show the boys on the team how it's done, the little things, the big things, etc. Yeah, we have cup winners in and around the front office, but there's a difference between having that experience off the ice versus having it on the ice alongside our best players.

So, if we pay $1m-$2.5m for Kane's services for the rest of the season, you know what? Fine, whatever. His injury and procedure, along with what's happened with Backstrom, are all concerning. If I'm a team executive though, and I want to bring someone in to help instill a new leadership perspective in the core of the team, there's not many options out there.

So by all means. Sign Kane. No more than 1yr, no more than $2.5m. *IF* he wants to return, fine. Take it year to year, and keep the salary low to reduce our risk. Hell, throw in a bonus if it helps make him happy about a low base salary. But, looking at it as a fan, I honestly can't see us bringing him in for longer than this season. Too much risk, for us and for him.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Looking at it from the perspective of a team executive, it's leadership. Even though Kane wouldn't be wearing a letter on this or any other team he goes to, he does have cup wins under his belt as a member of a team he was a leader of at one time. The hope would be to show the boys on the team how it's done, the little things, the big things, etc. Yeah, we have cup winners in and around the front office, but there's a difference between having that experience off the ice versus having it on the ice alongside our best players.

So, if we pay $1m-$2.5m for Kane's services for the rest of the season, you know what? Fine, whatever. His injury and procedure, along with what's happened with Backstrom, are all concerning. If I'm a team executive though, and I want to bring someone in to help instill a new leadership perspective in the core of the team, there's not many options out there.

So by all means. Sign Kane. No more than 1yr, no more than $2.5m. *IF* he wants to return, fine. Take it year to year, and keep the salary low to reduce our risk. Hell, throw in a bonus if it helps make him happy about a low base salary. But, looking at it as a fan, I honestly can't see us bringing him in for longer than this season. Too much risk, for us and for him.
Ah yes, leadership from Patrick Kane.
ricky.gif

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Ah yes, leadership from Patrick Kane.

As a fan, I don't want someone who, at best, overlooked the Kyle Beach SA incidents (and at worst, participated in the locker room bullying that ensued). One would hope their GM would feel the same, but a sports franchise is a business first and foremost. Think like a GM, a franchise owner, and a businessman. There's more potential reward, both from an experience standpoint and the use of whatever talent that remaining in his broken body than there is risk to upsetting the room.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
This feels like he is trying to get an extra year from Florida by really trying to sell that Detroit is heavy on him. Yzerman will always do his due diligence, so any news of Detroit "heavily" looking into it, is just fluff, IMO.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Its wild to me that anyone would be against Kane for a 1 year deal. Im fully against 2 years, but if it is 1 then yes dive on. Everyone is worried about his injury? were not cup contenders scraping cap space, at worst it fails and we are exactly where we are at right now this off season? if it is a one year deal, please tell me what is the downfall?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'm pretty split on the whole Kane thing. On one hand, we're 6th in goals for per game, so scoring isn't really an issue, but on the other hand, Kane could be a good mentor for our younger guys. I am not really worried about his health, he's either gonna play or go on LTIR.

Reactions: DatsDeking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad