Rumor: P. Kane to Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kane is not a first line player at this point in his career. I know he wants to play with Debrincat, but he can do that on the PP if he signs here.
Honestly think he could drive play on one leg more than a decent number of guys we are throwing out there. I would give the guy a shot, even though I am not the biggest fan of him as a person.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's hilarious how we are critiquing a player the calibre of Kane as a free asset... madness

Well, he had major surgery. Hip resurfacing involves capping the femoral head. I was a little more hopefully before Nick Backstrom went on LTIR. It'd be crazy to offer Kane anything beyond a one year contract.

Nick had his surgery in June 2022 and said he felt 100% coming into this season:

And now he's done.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, he had major surgery. Hip resurfacing involves capping the femoral head. I was a little more hopefully before Nick Backstrom went on LTIR. It'd be crazy to offer Kane anything beyond a one year contract.

Nick had his surgery in June 2022 and said he felt 100% coming into this season:

And now he's done.

I get your trepidation, and maybe it's warranted, but let me try to offer some additional details.

Backstrom has documented hip issues going back many years. And this is one instance where I have sources on this issue and they tell me that Backstrom's surgery was too little, too late. And that may not be the case with Kane.

Love to say more, but I just have to keep it vague, sorry. But it's the human body, different dudes, so who knows.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I get your trepidation, and maybe it's warranted, but let me try to offer some additional details.

Backstrom has documented hip issues going back many years. And this is one instance where I have sources on this issue and they tell me that Backstrom's surgery was too little, too late. And that may not be the case with Kane.

Love to say more, but I just have to keep it vague, sorry. But it's the human body, different dudes, so who knows.
Don't you dare do the whole I have sources, believe me! schtick.

I have been told (specifically from these forums) to hate the people who do this. Don't make me have another ogee/norrisnick debacle

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's not like Backstrom, 35 was the first and only. Hip resurfacing also capped the careers of Sillinger, 37 (done anyway), Jovocop, 35 and Kesler, 35. Kane, 35 falls right in line.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not like Backstrom, 35 was the first and only. Hip resurfacing also capped the careers of Sillinger, 37 (done anyway), Jovocop, 35 and Kesler, 35. Kane, 35 falls right in line.

Funny thing is, they all tried to come back:
  • Kessler played 104 games after his first surgery
  • Backstrom 47 games
  • Jova 37 games
So you know Kane's gotta at least try, lol. He's got such a high hockey IQ, I'd still sign him for the rest of the season, he could be an on ice assistant coach. Worst case he goes LTIR, I don't think Stevie will use the cap space anyways when the TDL comes.

I'm just guessing based on my injury history, but I figure the surgery gets rid of the pain in their daily routine, but then physical exertion causes post surgery issues. I don't know if that's caused by scar tissue or if it's from the bone to metal interaction. I'm leaning towards the later, I bet the bone connection starts hurting. Imagine your bone hitting the metal every time you take a stride....

The article I linked above actually states that femoral neck fracture is a risk with hip resurfacing. I think that's indicative of the stress at the metal/bone interface.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly think he could drive play on one leg more than a decent number of guys we are throwing out there. I would give the guy a shot, even though I am not the biggest fan of him as a person.

Yeah, and we pretty much have chance to see him training first. How does he look.

Then try to sign, if the guy looks good. Then move on, if he looks bad.

It's easy to decide.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I am very skeptical that he can get back to playing at a high-level - to the point that I think the best-case scenario is that he signs a multi-year deal with a division rival.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does Kane count as a +35 player ?

He will turn 35 in a week, November 19th.

If that's so, it could be easy contract to build with +35 bonuses, based on game amounts.

If he will sign, when there's ~60 games left
- 1M base salary
- 1M+ for completing 25 games
- 1M+ for completing 50 games
- 1M+ if the team completes to playoffs (and he has 50 games played)

4M maximum if everything goes well. We can dump him, and waive outside the cap, if he is useless.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Does Kane count as a +35 player ?

He will turn 35 in a week, November 19th.

If that's so, it could be easy contract to build with +35 bonuses, based on game amounts.

If he will sign, when there's ~60 games left
- 1M base salary
- 1M+ for completing 25 games
- 1M+ for completing 50 games
- 1M+ if the team completes to playoffs (and he has 50 games played)

4M maximum if everything goes well. We can dump him, and waive outside the cap, if he is useless.

capfriendly says you need to turn 35 by June 30th(so right before free agency starts)

A contract is designated a 35+ contract if the players age on the first year of the contract is 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the year of the effective contract).

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Good time to sign him. Work things out early Monday/Tuesday. Settle somewhere in DET, condition/practice till the games after Sweden(22nd).

Basically 10 days, starting today to get him signed, settled, and into practice.

Idk how the fella feels though physically, he might need awhile for conditioning/getting in shape.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Good time to sign him. Work things out early Monday/Tuesday. Settle somewhere in DET, condition/practice till the games after Sweden(22nd).

Basically 10 days, starting today to get him signed, settled, and into practice.

Idk how the fella feels though physically, he might need awhile for conditioning/getting in shape.
I like it

We need this guys offensive talent and IQ injected into our lineup

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Heard this from Toews girlfriends brother’s wife’s cousins sister.

Kane didn’t want to play in Sweden so after this trip he is signing with us. This was the plan all along!!!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd do 2 years if that's what it took

it's not ideal and there's some risk it doesn't work out but the Wings need to take some risks at some point and I think people underestimate how high the potential upside of the move is if it DOES work out

not only did he just put up 92 points on a bottom 5 offensive team 2 years ago but Kane is also the type of player that is usually pretty good until like 40 if injuries don't get in the way

i'd take taking a swing at Kane with a chance of it amounting to nothing over spending that ~$4m on some more meh free agents that won't move the needle one way or another any day

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
i'd do 2 years if that's what it took

it's not ideal and there's some risk it doesn't work out but the Wings need to take some risks at some point and I think people underestimate how high the potential upside of the move is if it DOES work out

not only did he just put up 92 points on a bottom 5 offensive team 2 years ago but Kane is also the type of player that is usually pretty good until like 40 if injuries don't get in the way

i'd take taking a swing at Kane with a chance of it amounting to nothing over spending that ~$4m on some more meh free agents that won't move the needle one way or another any day

2 years with the option to be LTIR if it goes south.. if it works you let a guy like Perron go next summer and bring up an ELC and your not hurting the cap situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad