Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Some more questions about the people running this team, Artem Shlaine commits to Boston University:

Not exactly a surprise management knew their was a chance he'd commit NCAA before the fall. Just gives another kid who was picked in the lower rounds a better chance to show what they can do, it's a win-win really moving forward as Goure, Burroughs and Lawrence a chance to really show what they can do in rookie camp in the fall.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Not exactly a surprise management knew their was a chance he'd commit NCAA before the fall. Just gives another kid who was picked in the lower rounds a better chance to show what they can do, it's a win-win really moving forward as Goure, Burroughs and Lawrence a chance to really show what they can do in rookie camp in the fall.

Okay but those 3 having a chance to show what they can do has nothing to do with anything. The forward group on this team is not good. The 10th round pick will have a chance.

I don't care what anyone says this was another high pick with no due diligence. Another high pick pissed away. This wasn't the draft to gamble.

You take in the high picks that have been busts and Barnes and now this, just goes to show you that their is a disconnect somewhere in the office.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Our GM has already been on record with his confidence that the top four picks (so, Shlaine included) would be coming to camp in the fall. No other way around this. Another mistake short of him showing up to camp in the fall.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I think management should announce at the BBQ/Awards Banquet the signing of both 03/Goure and 03/Burroughs. I also think that a deal should be made (possibly even during the June trade slot) to bring in a quality 01 OR 02 forward, as our roster now has ZERO/02 forwards on it. Also, the Attack 02 drafted forward group (minus Barnes/Waters/Latsch - NCAA route) does not look like there is any other players that have developed enough this past season to make the jump to the OHL. This team needs to bridge the gap between the 00 and 03 forwards somehow.
It's hard to figure out just what direction DD is going with this Attack team right now, having an 01/02 group of forwards that only include; 01/Wilson-13 pts, 01/Caruk-5 pts, and 02/ZERO-0 pts, from the last two years of eligibility. However the D-group consisting of players within this same two years of eligibility is pretty solid with the likes of; 01/Perrott, 01/Woolley, 01/Chibrikov, 02/Seed.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
DD should talk to KR in the Soo about 01 forwards. We have a logjam that we need to clear out.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
DD should talk to KR in the Soo about 01 forwards. We have a logjam that we need to clear out.

Could be something in the works depending on what happens after training camps, also depends on what the Hounds have for 01's. No deal is impossible at this point. It more depends on what 01's you think could be on the way out of SSM?

If it was me I'd be interested in JC

Last edited:
Reactions: SebJHockey

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack, like many other OHL teams, will always have challenges recruiting certain players.

While it can be disappointing, and doesn't always come to fruition, it shouldn't mean the team doesn't draft them .

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Exciting times for Attack Alumni...Binnington (Blues) vying for Stanley Cup vs Boston. Zach Nastasiuk & Bobby Sanguinetti (may be injured?) on Charlotte Checkers playing for Calder Cup. Can't wait for our season to begin. Picnic/Awards less than 2 weeks away. Hope to meet some of our prospects there.

Reactions: AttackSound

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
The Attack, like many other OHL teams, will always have challenges recruiting certain players.

While it can be disappointing, and doesn't always come to fruition, it shouldn't mean the team doesn't draft them .
But draft these tougher recruits with 2nd/3rd round picks?

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
Could be something in the works depending on what happens after training camps, also depends on what the Hounds have for 01's. No deal is impossible at this point. It more depends on what 01's you think could be on the way out of SSM?

If it was me I'd be interested in JC

JC = Johnny Cash or Jesus Christ?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Not sure if the Soo will be dealing with OS/Dale any time soon after the reported "mis-steps" at this past trade deadline with a possible deal including Suzuki and Durzi.
Not knowing for sure what actually did occur, it was quite clear however that there was a breakdown of communication between the Greyhounds and Attack during that time period.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not sure if the Soo will be dealing with OS/Dale any time soon after the reported "mis-steps" at this past trade deadline with a possible deal including Suzuki and Durzi.
Not knowing for sure what actually did occur, it was quite clear however that there was a breakdown of communication between the Greyhounds and Attack during that time period.

Never say never, every season is a new ball of wax and the deals and dealing partners change from one season to the next.

If that was the case pretty much three-quarters of the league would never trade with each other and every team would hang on to there own home-grown players in this league most of the season. However teams make deals with the team who gives the best return not however based on what a team's GMs did or didn't do or could've done or couldn't do in the season or around the trade deadline window.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that there wasn't some miscommunication in dealing but that what happened between the Attack and Greyhounds could be a result of any combination of errors.

Maybe the player or players who could or would've been part of the deal had NTCs and would not wave them or maybe the return a specific GM had in mind was too high or low for a certain asset.

As you pointed out "Not sure if the Soo will be dealing with OS/Dale" is something that is like saying that team A won't deal with team B ever again since team B jerked team A around.

If that was to happen the vast majority of the league wouldn't deal with each other and teams would hang on to top guys in seasons where they didn't have either the depth or draft assets to go deep in the post-season.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
As of today with a little digging into the team's NHL draft eligibles for the upcoming NHL entry draft I have came to the conclusion from all the lists I found that had Attack player(s) and prospects on them for the NHL draft.

Here's what the rankings look a little something like this (keep in mind these are just a rough idea for rankings and by no means will reflect the actual final results in the NHL entry draft this June)

SEIDER, Moritz- 1st round (6th, 18th, 29th-overall)

GUZDA, Mack- 1st-7th rounds (25th, 217th, 262nd- overall)

MACLEAN, Andrew- 1st-6th rounds (31st, 180th - overall)

PERROTT, Andrew- 2nd-7th rounds (38th, 207th, 412th,)

WILSON, Griffin (486th) 7th round, (NHL free agent invite)

Of course keep in mind that this is just a list for the upcoming draft eligibles and dose not count for the players who were draft eligible last June that could be picked this year in the draft instead and by no means will actually be a mock draft in any way.

You guys have a great future ahead but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Guzda and Maclean aren't ranked by any services for the first round, rather they are the 25th and 31st ranked goaltenders by one service.

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This team is in good shape moving forward, along with Goure and Burroughs the depth chart looks like this moving forward into next season. The team has a good core to build around in 2019-20.

Guzda
McLean

Lyle-Robertson
Perrott-Woolley
Chibrikov-Seed

Popov-Dudas-Pearson
McMaster-Kirwin-Groulx
Doherty-Wilson-Robinson
Burroughs-Goure-Caruk

Of course this is just a rough template of what the team could look like for next season and by no means will actually reflect the actual final lineup come January 10th next season. Although it does seem that this team will have a good core of centers and defense to build around with 6 natural centers and 6 returning defensemen.

This team could be on the a similar road not far off from the 2011 team that won the championship over Mississauga next season, assuming that the team can get out to a early lead in points in the start of the year and stay healthy.

Reactions: SebJHockey

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Solid returning line-up, but what about an import??

I've always stood by my beliefs when it comes to imports, and this is nothing against some of the great imports we've had over the past 19 seasons. But here's how I see it especially with the new import rule that any NHL draft imports can now give OHL GMs a chance for a draft a 3rd player in the import draft as a safety net play.

This more or less leaves it wide open-ended with who could return or who could come in next season. However for the sake of your comment ARR, I couldn't say that Maks will be back being NHL drafted by the Flyers or not. Manny should be back but there's still no guarantee he will as of yet there have been may times over the years that imports come in for one season and move on or find the adjustment to the NA game to be over there heads and they choose to return home to their home base countries to play. So until training camp starts in August will have to see if he's back or not. The above chart shows only the players who will more than likely be back in the lineup next season.

Once the import draft comes and goes then will see how the full depth chart for next season plays out.

Plus if you read my opening statement I did state that the lineup is by no means "solidified in stone" as of yet.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
We get that nothing is "solidified in stone".
As far as an Import player/pick is concerned, I believe we will select a Forward, hopefully an 01/LW that can fit into at least a third line roll. Again I'll say, I think there is ZERO chance that 01/Alberg is back, the team already knows what he can and can't do and where he would fit into this line-up moving forward.
I do agree that the potential returning roster for this season may be pretty strong with a couple of astute moves by DD and Co.

Would "Dealer George"- Guelph make yet another move with the Attack?

To Owen Sound; 99/RC/Hawel
To Guelph; 00/LW/Doherty + OS 3'rd/21 + GUE 6'th/20

-This would give us that #1 Center with size and strength down the middle that we had when C. James and then B. McKenzie were here in recent years.
Our Center group would then be followed by Dudas, Kirwin and Goure.
-This would give Doherty an opportunity for more ice time with a younger Guelph team and also give the Storm a couple of much needed draft picks.

Popov-Hawel-Pearson
McMaster-Dudas-Groulx
Import-Kirwin-Robinson
Wilson-Goure-Burroughs

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As far as an Import player/pick is concerned, I believe we will select a Forward, hopefully an 01/LW that can fit into at least a third line roll. Again I'll say, I think there is ZERO chance that 01/Alberg is back, the team already knows what he can and can't do and where he would fit into this line-up moving forward.
I do agree that the potential returning roster for this season may be pretty strong with a couple of astute moves by DD and Co.

-This would give us that #1 Center with size and strength down the middle that we had when C. James and then B. McKenzie were here in recent years.
-This would give Doherty an opportunity for more ice time with a younger Guelph team and also give the Storm a couple of much needed draft picks.

Popov-Hawel-Pearson
McMaster-Dudas-Groulx
Import-Kirwin-Robinson
Wilson-Goure-Burroughs

In theory the idea of Hawel for Doherty would be an interesting deal to make however looking forward into the future I can't see DD making a move like that for a guy that's going to be here for one season.

If the team is in a position before deadline day then to make a push in the conference then maybe they go for a guy like LH, but until then it's safe to say that this team will go with the guys they've got more or less and make tweaking as needed after 10, 20, 30, GP. The other thing that everyone has to remember is that the draft pick ruling will really come into effect with deals locking draft pick trades to a maximum of 3 years into the future as of the start of 2019-20.

So any big splash deal involving multiple draft picks for players has more or less come to an end. Will start seeing more one for one type deals with teams before we see blockbuster deals happen this season.

Even what you're suggesting will become more of a steep price for one player then it used to be. Not because of who or what is involved in the deal but that the picks themselves will have a higher value put on them than they ever have.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Popov-Hawel-Pearson
McMaster-Dudas-Groulx
Import-Kirwin-Robinson
Wilson-Goure-Burroughs

I wonder if there are any gifts coming our way, in light of the results in the Royal City ?

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
With Artem Shlaine. An NCAA Verbal Commitment is not binding. Either side can change their mind. When a National Letter Of Intent is signed by the student, the scholarship offer from the school is official and both the player and school must fulfill what was signed. The National Letter of Intent is signed a few months before the student begins their university studies.

Official NCAA Rules

A verbal commitment happens when a college-bound student-athlete verbally agrees to play sports for a college before he or she signs or is eligible to sign a National Letter of Intent. The commitment is not binding on the student-athlete or the school and can be made at any time.
When a student-athlete officially commits to attend a Division I or II college, he or she signs a National Letter of Intent, agreeing to attend that school for one academic year.

Reactions: Noofgoof

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Some more questions about the people running this team, Artem Shlaine commits to Boston University:

I kinda think at the draft party Dale said he would get some offers and possibly commit. Remember a commitment doesn't always mean he is never here. Bobby Ryan committed to U of M. I believe when Dale said the top 4 would be here he was assuming Shlain wasn't here and was reffering to Sam Sedley. He also said Gibson Homer would probably not be here but in 2 years may need a place to play. I have no problem with taking the odd gamble. Remember in the Plater day's we took only kids that would report not a gamble. I believe that had us taking Richard Power? over Rick Nash how did that work?

Reactions: Noofgoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad