Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The BBQ and training camp will paint very good picture of what the future will be moving forward.

The team will be in good competitive shape in this coming season. With what managment has brought in with players and picks this team could make noise in key points of the season.

This team still has what I think will be a strong solid 4 forwards and top 4 d men

Kirwin
Popov
Dudas
Pearson

Parrott
Lyle
Woolley
Chibrikov

With returning guys like Seed who stepped up last year late in the season this team will have core to build around next season and beyond.

By adding guys like Goure and Burroughs to the team in the draft this past April will have the makings of a solid core for 2020

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
On all recent accounts concerning the Attack, it sure looks like there are more than a few reasons to be excited about this teams future. With the 2003 draft class looking like it was a real "win" for the club and with the POSSIBLE landing of German Import M. Seider in Attackland, can we realistically expect to see a quicker than usual reboot with this OS Attack team?
IMO, Dale Degray and Company may have a few tough decisions to make heading into and exiting training camp this coming season.
- Is this a year to put together a competitive team that may battle for a top 4 placing in the Western Conference and maybe beyond? We do have a nice nucleus of 00's on the roster now (Dudas, Groulx, McMaster, Popov, Kirwin, Pearson, Robertson). We would need to draft a top flight Import Forward this June. We would need to go out and trade for 2 top end OA's. (RD/Lyle, +,+). Along with signing the recent draftee's (03/Goure, 03/Burroughs, 02/Shlaine). Plus retuning players such as Wilson, Perrott, Woolley, Seed, Chibrikov, Guzda. If executed, this gives us a nice group of 20 players to build upon and move forward with. Do we have enough in hand and in the cupboards to get this done? I think "YES". Would we still be able to field a competitive team the following year? I think "YES".
- The alternative this year might see the need to move players such as Lyle, Dudas, Groulx and Kirwin to get in return a few 01's and 02's along with a few more draft picks, as this current roster group is lacking such players up front. Also, trade the rights to M. Seider. Plus, sign 4 players from this most recent draft, no matter what. Keep OA/Robinson and go sign 2 more OA's "on the cheap" from other teams. I think if this is the path that management chooses, it will be a longer, tougher rebuild with a possible contending team in the 2021-22 season.
I'm kind of painting 2 much different scenario's. I do know there is an "in between" as well but I'm hoping management goes one way or the other.
Any thoughts to add or delete from this topic?
I think you've nailed it with the two possible directions that the team could take. And I agree about preferring to go one way or the other, not in between--although the 'in between' seems to be what DD typically does, not really going 'all in' in one direction or the other (e.g., his 'soft trade' approach). Just my own opinion, but I remain more concerned about the 2020-21 team (namely offensive output given the nucleus of '00 forwards), so personally I'd lean toward option #2.

A couple of thoughts. If we do end up trading some veterans as per option #2, I think the more likely scenario is getting picks back in return rather than roster players, unless we packaged 2-3 of those vets together in one deal. Reason being is that I see our vets as depth guys on contending teams, so I'm not sure they would yield roster players. Second, I'd rather not see us acquire OA's this year unless we really surprise people and look to contend. Just me, but I'd rather see us hang on to our assets for the sake of the rebuild than parting with them for OA's who will be here just one year. Seems shortsighted to acquire OA's given the rebuild, unless they can be had on the cheap or unless we find ourselves as a top-4 team toward the trade deadline.

So many variables as this point. Will Seider end up in Attackland? Will we get new imports? Will Shlaine report? Will Goure/Burroughs develop offensively as needed? Will the goaltending take a step forward (e.g., Guzda in the playoffs)? Will we trade for 1 or 2 OA's? Looking forward to seeing how things play out.

Reactions: Attackfan72

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
It's really time to pump the breaks on the Seider talk.

He's under contract for another season in DEL where he was playing top minutes and a solid contributor in the playoffs. That is a very solid professional league. There is no way he is signing his ELC with whatever club drafts him this June unless there is a deal in place that he wouldn't get sent to junior which some ELC's have that clause built in (Tyson Jost, Fabbro and many many European prospects)

He's making good money (upwards of 95K, playing in his back yard, no way he tosses that up to come and play Junior.

It's legit not up to the team that drafts him. While we all think that, he could not sign his ELC and play pro at home until his contract runs out and then make up his mind when he's 19.

I'd love for the best players to sign here but don't want to waste a summer talking about what-ifs.

Moving forward our defense is fine. It's taking shape. No sense in adding a player whose only going to be here for 3/4 of the season (Will make the world juniors)

I think we see 2 new imports here in late August.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

He's under contract for another season in DEL where he was playing top minutes and a solid contributor in the playoffs. That is a very solid professional league. There is no way he is signing his ELC with whatever club drafts him this June unless there is a deal in place that he wouldn't get sent to junior which some ELC's have that clause built in (Tyson Jost, Fabbro and many many European prospects)

He's making good money (upwards of 95K, playing in his back yard, no way he tosses that up to come and play Junior.

It's legit not up to the team that drafts him. While we all think that, he could not sign his ELC and play pro at home until his contract runs out and then make up his mind when he's 19.

I'd love for the best players to sign here but don't want to waste a summer talking about what-ifs.

Moving forward our defense is fine. It's taking shape. No sense in adding a player whose only going to be here for 3/4 of the season (Will make the world juniors)

Agree.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

I think we can all agree that management will be at the import draft table again this year. Not because of who may or may not return next season but just off the simple rule change that happened last season where any import player drafted by an NHL club gives the GMs the safety net to select a 3rd import selection in case one of them whose on the active roster doesn't return to the CHL.

It would be nice to see Seider in an Attack uniform next season but until then fans shouldn't hold their breath hoping for one of last season's import selections to report.

I agree Sebjhockey no point kicking tires on what may never materialize but to look ahead to what is and will be for 2019/20.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack Coaching Staff to Return for 2019-2020 OHL Season – Owen Sound Attack

I don't think there was any doubt that this would happen. At the end of last season, although good to announce it straight upfront and early before training camp starts August.

With a young core of returning players and a young eager coaching staff who's competitive nature behind bench will be a great fit for the direction this team is going. All three coaches of AL, Jordan and Joey will be able to build on what they started midway through last season. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what all 3 can do at the start of next season and beyond.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As a long time Attack fan, I can't help but feel excited for the players we saw develop from age 15 to some of the world's best junior hockey talent .

I've enjoyed watching them help their teams to playoff success we haven't enjoyed for a while.

And as an Attack fan, I never want to experience this again .

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Is there any word on Josh Barnes with you guys? With him being a Cornwall native, wondering if OS and Ottawa can work out a deal to get him in the O and not have OS waste that high second round pick...

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Is there any word on Josh Barnes with you guys? With him being a Cornwall native, wondering if OS and Ottawa can work out a deal to get him in the O and not have OS waste that high second round pick...

No traction positively or negatively has been made in regards to JB.

At this point in time I believe that it's safe to say that it's an open and shut case in regards to his commitment. If anything happens it will have to be from an external source pursuing him like the 67's who will be in a rebuild this fall.

Unfortunately another name of who could've been that will unlikely happen to be a OHLer. OS still holds his playing rights for the O if he comes knocking on management's door but the team has made it clear that they are moving forward into the future and into next season with or without him in the lineup.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
If anyone has had a chance to catch the World Championships and watched Moritz Seider in action... Watching him play, and reading through some of the German hockey press on his playoff performance with Adler Mannheim, it's going to take an absolute miracle for him to be wearing our colours in the fall.

He's going to be a top defender in the DEL next season. Hard to imagine an NHL team sees Owen Sound as a better opportunity. Fantastic talent.

As a long time Attack fan, I can't help but feel excited for the players we saw develop from age 15 to some of the world's best junior hockey talent .

I've enjoyed watching them help their teams to playoff success we haven't enjoyed for a while.

And as an Attack fan, I never want to experience this again .

Agreed 100% Millpond. Makes me sad seeing our boys hoisting the cup with Guelph's colours.

Makes me appreciate their performance in Owen Sound, and especially the Suzuki and Hancock duo, which has to be one of the most underrated duos in OHL history. Tilted the ice across the OHL for nearly three full seasons.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
If anyone has had a chance to catch the World Championships and watched Moritz Seider in action... Watching him play, and reading through some of the German hockey press on his playoff performance with Adler Mannheim, it's going to take an absolute miracle for him to be wearing our colours in the fall.

He's going to be a top defender in the DEL next season. Hard to imagine an NHL team sees Owen Sound as a better opportunity. Fantastic talent.

Agreed 100% Millpond. Makes me sad seeing our boys hoisting the cup with Guelph's colours.

Makes me appreciate their performance in Owen Sound, and especially the Suzuki and Hancock duo, which has to be one of the most underrated duos in OHL history. Tilted the ice across the OHL for nearly three full seasons.

Suzuki, Gadjovich and Hancock were as dominant as Suzuki, Entwhistle and Ratcliff

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Suzuki, Gadjovich and Hancock were as dominant as Suzuki, Entwhistle and Ratcliff

Absolutely. As close to a perfect line as you'll ever see in the OHL. All three skilled, but Suzuki with the high IQ, Hancock with the complete two-way game, and Gadjovich with the power and finishing to open up time and space.

Crazy how much timing matters in junior, becuase those guys were absolute beasts two years ago with the Palmu/James/Dudas second line, but without McNiven (and Palmu) didn't get another chance at their absolute peak.

But here's hoping, as we start a new cycle and ostensibly a new era in Owen Sound, there's a new group of gems ready to make their case.

Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of the Game 7 win in Mississauga, still the craziest moment of this poster's life, and I guess I'm feeling nostalgic for the rare triumphs in junior hockey.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Absolutely. As close to a perfect line as you'll ever see in the OHL. All three skilled, but Suzuki with the high IQ, Hancock with the complete two-way game, and Gadjovich with the power and finishing to open up time and space.

Crazy how much timing matters in junior, becuase those guys were absolute beasts two years ago with the Palmu/James/Dudas second line, but without McNiven (and Palmu) didn't get another chance at their absolute peak.

But here's hoping, as we start a new cycle and ostensibly a new era in Owen Sound, there's a new group of gems ready to make their case.

Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of the Game 7 win in Mississauga, still the craziest moment of this poster's life, and I guess I'm feeling nostalgic for the rare triumps in junior hockey.
I might just have to pull out my dvd copy of that game and re-enjoy what is to date the biggest moment in Attack history

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
DeGray has made it clear Barnes will never play for the Attack . If Ottawa can convince him to report, I'm sure DeGray is all ears.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
PensFan & Co. - why is it every time I read a post about D/Seider not going to be seen in OS, I picture his rights being owned by a certain team in the OHL and we'd be reading on their thread about what team in the NHL may be drafting him in the 1'st round and what date he would potentially be sent to this certain team after his outstanding NHL camp and how he will be the backbone of their young D group this coming year and how he'd be a leading candidate for Dman of the year etc?????

Last edited:

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
PensFan & Co. - why is it every time I read a post about D/Seider not going to be seen in OS, I picture his rights being owned by the Knights and we'd be reading on their thread about what team in the NHL may be drafting him in the 1'st round and what date he would potentially be sent to the Knights after his outstanding NHL camp and how he will be the backbone of their young D group this coming year and how he'd be a leading candidate for Dman of the year etc?????

I mean they were gifted a guy in Boqvist who, while much less established in his native pro league than Seider currently is, had shown 0 intention of playing CHL... He's also likely to play AHL hockey next year, so there's an import spot up for grabs...

Considering the Attack own his rights, if he were to ever end up in London, then at least the team would get something out of a player that never saw Owen Sound as an option. Not bad asset management for a 2nd Round Import pick, which are often skipped anyway.

But London fans would be right to gush. This guy would come in and be a top pairing defenceman immediately, if not one of the top defenders in the OHL outright, from Day 1.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Seider isn't coming to the O plain and simple.

In this case management has 3 options and only 3 options.

1- Wait till the NHL draft in June and hope he gets picked and requested to report to O.

2- Trade his rights to the highest bidder.

3- Sit on his rights all season long and hope he changes his mind and reports next season.

Out of those 3, 1 and 2 are more likely to happen then 3 but I do tend to agree that maybe it's best as fans to focus their attention on who is reporting to training camp and who will be here in the fall more then who won't.

If Seider is here come August then bonus if not then move forward and on with the youth movement towards another run with who is here.

Can't get bent out of shape over a guy who may or may not be here by the season opener.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Has anyone kept track of long shot draft picks, the value of pick used, and the percentage of picks who report ?

I wonder if the Attack would be better off to go for players who have a reasonable chance of reporting .

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Little fun fact that the Attack/Platers will be playing officially their 30th season in the league this fall, 20 seasons under the Attack name and 10 under the former Platers seasons.

Reactions: Noofgoof

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
With the annual Attack BBQ & Awards Banquet (along with the Slow-Pitch tourney) set for Sunday June 9'th, we can assume the club will announce the official signing of first round draft choice Deni Goure. Is there any word that the Attack may sign and announce other players/draft picks as well?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the annual Attack BBQ & Awards Banquet (along with the Slow-Pitch tourney) set for Sunday June 9'th, we can assume the club will announce the official signing of first round draft choice Deni Goure. Is there any word that the Attack may sign and announce other players/draft picks as well?

Safe to say Ethan Burroughs will be signing with the team as well as both Deni and Ethan made an appearance at draft day. Can't be certain if they will announce both but would think that they would be the logical to sign or announce their commitment to the team at BBQ time.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Seider isn't coming to the O plain and simple.

In this case management has 3 options and only 3 options.

1- Wait till the NHL draft in June and hope he gets picked and requested to report to O.

2- Trade his rights to the highest bidder.

3- Sit on his rights all season long and hope he changes his mind and reports next season.

Out of those 3, 1 and 2 are more likely to happen then 3 but I do tend to agree that maybe it's best as fans to focus their attention on who is reporting to training camp and who will be here in the fall more then who won't.

If Seider is here come August then bonus if not then move forward and on with the youth movement towards another run with who is here.

Can't get bent out of shape over a guy who may or may not be here by the season opener.

Just saw an interview with Seider. He wants to play in the NHL; not sure the route he will take to get there.ROBENHYMER: Moritz Seider Flying Under the Radar at Worlds; Just...

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
This should be an exciting topic of discussion here on our OS thread but to think (hidden message in my post above) that for the Attack to ever land M. Seider they may have to "anti up", it changes things very easily! Few teams have the resources to make it happen in the OHL (huh, hummm), not sure we are one of them.
"Hey Mr. Agent, here is your $$$"
"Hey Player, here is your $$$"
"Hey Ice-Hockey Federation, here is your transfer $$$" etc...

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As of today with a little digging into the team's NHL draft eligibles for the upcoming NHL entry draft I have came to the conclusion from all the lists I found that had Attack player(s) and prospects on them for the NHL draft.

Here's what the rankings look a little something like this (keep in mind these are just a rough idea for rankings and by no means will reflect the actual final results in the NHL entry draft this June)

SEIDER, Moritz- 1st round (6th, 18th, 29th-overall)

GUZDA, Mack- 1st-7th rounds (25th, 217th, 262nd- overall)

MACLEAN, Andrew- 1st-6th rounds (31st, 180th - overall)

PERROTT, Andrew- 2nd-7th rounds (38th, 207th, 412th,)

WILSON, Griffin (486th) 7th round, (NHL free agent invite)

Of course keep in mind that this is just a list for the upcoming draft eligibles and dose not count for the players who were draft eligible last June that could be picked this year in the draft instead and by no means will actually be a mock draft in any way.

Reactions: SebJHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad