Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I see a lot of hype and optimism here about this weekends draft results and yes, there should be, but... Hopefully all the drafted players report to training camp and let's not be swayed by what DD and the scouting staff are saying. They will always say that "this draft was exceptional" or "we are very happy with the result's and players we have chosen", etc. I cannot find any quotes from previous drafts that are any different, yet we know that there have been a few underwhelming drafts in recent years.
What I see as a concern is what do we do with the lack of quality 01 and 02 forwards for this coming season? We have a nice group of 00's but after next season what is here to carry us forward into the 20-21 season and beyond with 01's (Wilson, Caruk) and 02's (Zero)?
Will we need to see another sell off of a couple top end forwards, from the 00 group to bring in the missing 01's and 02's from the current forward group?

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Agree with insideout. More often than not lately, we've only managed one pick who actually makes the team. Have history of signing free agents out of training camp. I think though the top 2 picks this year should be here in September. Interview with DD & Fred interesting. Sounds like a few trades may be made either over the summer or early fall.
The Aftermath

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
As an Attack fan, I think you have to feel pretty good about the draft. I think there's a very likely scenario that the top four picks all play next season with Shlaine being an '02 birth year. In the interview with Fred Wallace, Dale seemed pretty confident that Goure, Burroughs and Shlaine were going to report/sign. Lawrence with the 6'5" 206 pound frame seems like a good bet to crack the line up as well with a good showing in camp. Looks like a lot of skill picks which should mesh well with the speed and puck possession style of play they are looking to move forward with.

10 Goure, Deni C 5.09.5 159 07/15/2003 Chatham-Kent Cyclones
29 ( North Bay ) Burroughs, Ethan RW 5.09.25 164 06/19/2003 Halton Hills Hurricanes
42 ( Peterborough ) Lawrence, Kaleb C 6.05 206 01/10/2003 OHA Mavericks Maroon
56 ( Sudbury ) Shlaine, Artem C 6.01 162 03/07/2002 Shattuck-St. Mary's Sabres Prep

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Watcher

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
Even better .. 2 Goals 1 Assist and 12/13 on the faceoff dot

He seems to like going against his old team. He and Suzuki were in each other's faces at least once. That was odd to see. Suzuki didn't want to be nice at all. ;)

3 goals, 2 assists, 23/28 on the dot (82.1%). 1st star game one, 2nd star (to the shutout goalie) game two. Also, a plus player in both games, no penalties and lots of shots taken.

More production than Suzuki, Phillips, Durzi, and Roberts combined.

More production than the Guelph Storm.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Here's two serious questions, please no smart *** answers.

What's the difference between minor midget and major midget ?

Why do centres keep getting thrown out of faceoffs ?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Why do centres keep getting thrown out of faceoffs ?

Centers get kicked out due to wingers or defenders jumping to early on draws in faceoffs. Typically a winger will jump the outside faceoff circle lines or centers jump to fast in the faceoff dot.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018

Some Triple-A centres have an extra year of hockey after minor midget called Major Midget that caters to drafted players sent home from OHL camps and non-drafted players that were unable to secure a card in Jr. B. Some players prefer Major Midget over Jr. C to gain more practice ice per week. Most AAA hockey centers, especially in the Alliance MHAO offer a Major Midget program. My attempt at explaining what Major Midget hockey is.

Reactions: Millpond

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Some Triple-A centres have an extra year of hockey after minor midget called Major Midget that caters to drafted players sent home from OHL camps and non-drafted players that were unable to secure a card in Jr. B. Some players prefer Major Midget over Jr. C to gain more practice ice per week. Most AAA hockey centers, especially in the Alliance MHAO offer a Major Midget program. My attempt at explaining what Major Midget hockey is.
Thanks !!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
in terms of the 02 class, what about the chances of Nathan Small signing potentially. from the area and had the chance to watch him a bit. over an assist a game in major midget this year, really good skater and has played quite a bit with the Komoka Kings jr. b team. there are I believe 6 D returning plus the potential addition of Sam Sedley, but could he be a filler if say Brady Lyle gets traded

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
in terms of the 02 class, what about the chances of Nathan Small signing potentially. from the area and had the chance to watch him a bit. over an assist a game in major midget this year, really good skater and has played quite a bit with the Komoka Kings jr. b team. there are I believe 6 D returning plus the potential addition of Sam Sedley, but could he be a filler if say Brady Lyle gets traded

You won't see Lyle get moved he'll be the only senior blueliner on the team next year as an OA, even with a strong returning core of defense coming back this team will need Brady to quarterback the powerplay and Brady can do that.

As of right now

Lyle- Woolley

Perrott - Robertson

Seed - Chibrikov

Will more likely the blueline of the year, plus minus if the team adds a 17 yo 1st year player. Moving BL, would most likely throw the blueline out of order and in this conference you need a solid blueline to shutdown teams in the conference.

Its possible to bring in Small as a 7th d-man this coming season due to his age as a 17yo, and continuing build the team forward but you need a senior guy to lead the backend this season after dealing Sean and Markus to the Storm for Mark Woolley, Barrett Kirwin and Zach Poirier this past season Lyle would be the senior guy to fill that role.

On top of that Sedley most likely won't play regular minutes next season if he does sign. But could be filled by Sedley too depending on what the team needs on the backend or rotated in and out of the lineup if he signs.

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
You won't see Lyle get moved he'll be the only senior blueliner on the team next year as an OA, even with a strong returning core of defense coming back this team will need Brady to quarterback the powerplay and Brady can do that.

As of right now

Lyle- Woolley

Perrott - Robertson

Seed - Chibrikov

Will more likely the blueline of the year, plus minus if the team adds a 17 yo 1st year player. Moving BL, would most likely throw the blueline out of order and in this conference you need a solid blueline to shutdown teams in the conference.

Its possible to bring in Small as a 7th d-man this coming season due to his age as a 17yo, and continuing build the team forward but you need a senior guy to lead the backend this season after dealing Sean and Markus to the Storm for Mark Woolley, Barrett Kirwin and Zach Poirier this past season Lyle would be the senior guy to fill that role.

On top of that Sedley most likely won't play regular minutes next season if he does sign. But could be filled by Sedley too depending on what the team needs on the backend or rotated in and out of the lineup if he signs.

I could see a situation where Brady Lyle is dealt if Nolan Seed takes a huge step forward.

But yes I don't see him being moved.

Regardless, I am excited for training camp. We are going to see a new roster next year. I believe we are going to see DD swing some deals after the trade freeze.

Deni Goure
Ethan Burroughs
Kaleb Lawerence
Artem Shlaine (02)

and as a long shot Ryan Stansel could crack the roster. If Lawerence is here for camp he will be here during the season. Stansel has good size. Moves wells.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
The real question is where to and when will Dudas be dealt. He is our biggest chip right now and as much as it would suck it makes absolute sense to deal him away to make room for the young guys and keep building for the next 2-3 seasons. This upcoming season isnt our year but the year after assuming we can get some scoring we should be a force . So if done right A Dudas deal will help solidify it.

Reactions: plowman

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Noof; I kind of agree. If you think that the 4-5 new players that fan43 mentions, along with 2 new Imports and maybe 1-2 02's from last years draft will be on the team this coming season, then we might just see another sell off of players such as - Dudas, Lyle, Groulx, Kirwin. These 4 talented players should bring the Attack a nice return of younger players and needed draft picks. I personally hate seeing this team "sell off" it's top players but if management felt they needed to do it this season then we can surely say that "nothing is out of the question" moving forward.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The real question is where to and when will Dudas be dealt. He is our biggest chip right now and as much as it would suck it makes absolute sense to deal him away to make room for the young guys and keep building for the next 2-3 seasons. This upcoming season isnt our year but the year after assuming we can get some scoring we should be a force . So if done right A Dudas deal will help solidify it.

I can’t comment real well on the Eastern Teams but in the West perhaps London, Erie or Kitchener? I think he will “top out” from a value point either during Training Camp or at the Deadline? I think the West is in for a softer year with Guelph, Saginaw and the Soo somewhat on down years. That leaves Sarnia and Flint remaining but I don’t think either are “close enough” as a Dudas deal gets done with a Team that thinks they can finish First in the West or at least have a serious playoff run in mind.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Also will add I’m not so sure Owen Sound sells off in a big way. Again I think the West is in for a softer year with any of about 3-4 Teams potentially pulling away. OS is more then capable with the players they received back from this years sell off to be “mid to upper top” of the pack and could look at the deadline either way?

Ottawa is going to be a beast again even with their graduations this year they are very deep. Even though again I don’t follow the East much.

Good Luck would love to see the Attack but more so it’s fans have a good season. Smaller markets are critical to OHL success.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
At the draft last Sat. I asked DD who would be our top scorers next year. He named Dudas, Groulx, Kirwin, Lyle so don't expect they'll be traded (at least as of now). Dudas playing for Ontario Reign, AHL. He had 2 assists and was named 3rd Star in a 7-2 win over Stockton Heat. Pretty good for a smaller feisty player.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This team is in a good position moving forward even with the graduating class of players.

Will the team be a home ice playoff contender, well time will tell on what's coming back and what's coming in. I have no doubt that this team will have a decent core of returning players to keep in the middle of the pack standings wise. But seasons take on their own identity and until you see the team playing 10, 20, 30, games you dont really know what direction they're going.

Right now we have promise and what shakes out in 2019/20 will see how the cards fall.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I saw on the team's Twitter page that Kaleb Lawrence (2nd round, 42 overall) stopped by the Bayshore this past Friday. That makes the top 3 picks from 2019 who have come to town so far. Certainly encouraging. Here's hoping to see Artem Shlaine at rookie camp in August!

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I saw on the team's Twitter page that Kaleb Lawrence (2nd round, 42 overall) stopped by the Bayshore this past Friday. That makes the top 3 picks from 2019 who have come to town so far. Certainly encouraging. Here's hoping to see Artem Shlaine at rookie camp in August!

That's promising for sure, however let's not get to ahead of ourselves as fans.

Many talented players have reported to camp and walked before preseason starts to avoid losing their NCAA eligibility. Of course I'm not saying this kid will do the same but preseason is where the true measuring stick of training camp is. This is where the men become men and the undecided walk. On paper we should have a solid training camp this year and with both 1st and 2nd rounders making an appearance on draft day shows promise that the team will most likely sign both of them to cards this fall. Stats on draft sheets are only a measuring stick it's srimmiages and preseason games that will decide who make the team or not.

However the picks managment has made this past draft should make for another interesting rookie camp come August.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Signed Players; 2019-20

C/Dudas
C/Kirwin
RW/Groulx
RW/Pearson
LW/McMaster
LW/Popov
LW/Doherty
LD/ Robertson

We have a glut of 2000 forwards (7 I believe). We can only keep max 3 of them for 2020-2021, and maybe only 2 since Carter Robertson is a 2000. Bottom line, scoring stands to take a big hit after next year as I see it. Compounding this problem is that we have no 2002 forwards from last year's draft on the roster (though I bet Brody Waters cracks the lineup this year), and the only 2001's are Alberg (quite possibly not returning), Wilson, and Caruk. Not promising.

Dale needs young forwards now to better balance out the veteran 2000 forwards. I'm thinking he takes a forward with each of his first 3 picks, including the one he got today.

I see a lot of hype and optimism here about this weekends draft results and yes, there should be, but... Hopefully all the drafted players report to training camp and let's not be swayed by what DD and the scouting staff are saying. They will always say that "this draft was exceptional" or "we are very happy with the result's and players we have chosen", etc. I cannot find any quotes from previous drafts that are any different, yet we know that there have been a few underwhelming drafts in recent years.
What I see as a concern is what do we do with the lack of quality 01 and 02 forwards for this coming season? We have a nice group of 00's but after next season what is here to carry us forward into the 20-21 season and beyond with 01's (Wilson, Caruk) and 02's (Zero)?
Will we need to see another sell off of a couple top end forwards, from the 00 group to bring in the missing 01's and 02's from the current forward group?
I agree completely, I always find myself being optimistic and thinking the team did really well in the draft right after, but the past 2 drafts for sure (arguably 3) have proven poor despite the initial optimism at the time. All we can do is wait and see who reports and who ends up producing.

As for the 2000 forwards, I agreed that management has some decisions to make. Can't bring all 7 back as OA's in 2020-21. Plus Carter Robertson will be in the mix for an OA spot then, too. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Doherty meet the same fate as Moro after last year's training camp. As for the rest, Dudas could yield a return from a contender at the deadline and I think will most likely not be back for an OA year (he's contributing in the AHL right now!). So that leaves Groulx, Kirwin, Pearson, Popov, and McMaster. All depends who produces next year. I'd look at keeping the 'best' 3 of the group for OA spots in two years, and move the other 2 at the deadline to contenders looking to add depth. Especially if younger guys like Goure/Burroughs/Lawrence/Shlaine are contributing by Christmas, it would make the group of 2000's more expendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad