Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Time value of money! The 2nd Round pick this year helps the team a heck of a lot more than a 2nd Round pick does the year after - especially with the uneven birth years we've got up front as mentioned by other posters.

I don't think it's that expensive to be honest. We get a chance to bring in another top youngster to the lineup a year sooner.

As for position - maybe a goalie with one of the 2nds. Guzda is 18, so a top pick could come in an apprentice with him.

At the very least, having 2 2nd round picks should allow Dale to take a risk, something he's done in the past with multiple 2nd rounders (most recent example I can think of is 2014 - Willie Knierim was a swing for the fences pick, Gadjovich a lucky faller). If he goes for another Josh Barnes type who falls out of the first round, at least he has that other 2nd Rounder to bring in a kid who will report (but to save us all the stress, I pray he just gets two kids that will push to make the team come September and actually be here).
To be honest, I'm done with the gamble picks. The Attack simply aren't in a position to lock them up. This has been evidenced time and time and time again . How many times I've heard ' if this guy reports, he will be'....

Trading 3 picks to add another second round pick, should in no way be an invitation to piss it down the drain .

Last year's draft yielded one roster player. Hopefully the team has done their job in player development, and can harvest two 17 yr olds from the 18 draft. Then have all three top picks report this fall. And secondly, let's see three forwards picked in those high rounds .

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I'm with you on that Millpond, I don't think the Attack can afford to gamble any picks away, especially not the high end ones. There has to be more intentionality with the drafting. Don't touch players if there's any hint that they won't report to rookie camp (Barnes was quoted pre-draft as saying he would wait to see who takes him before committing, which I think is why he fell to the 2nd round). OS just isn't a destination for those types of long-shot guys, and management needs to stop thinking that it is. We can always invite promising FA's to rookie camp.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'm with you on that Millpond, I don't think the Attack can afford to gamble any picks away, especially not the high end ones. There has to be more intentionality with the drafting. Don't touch players if there's any hint that they won't report to rookie camp (Barnes was quoted pre-draft as saying he would wait to see who takes him before committing, which I think is why he fell to the 2nd round). OS just isn't a destination for those types of long-shot guys, and management needs to stop thinking that it is. We can always invite promising FA's to rookie camp.

I still believe that drafting should be looked at on simple format,the first three rounds should be no brainers to make your your team, after that four through six have to be considerations within the proceeding and following training camps, seven through ten are long-shots.

After 10th rounds it's all who can fight for a chance at wearing a jersey, which isn't impossible in this league, and anyone who thinks is impossible can ask Sean Durzi what a longshot can do.

There will always be players who shortlist on where they want to play and those players will typically be flyer picks in the draft who are undecided, that's just the way the draft shakes out.

If these players are just as talented as the ones before them and truly wanting to further their chances at the pros then location in the league shouldn't matter, but more so that they continue to develop and grow in the systems who draft them.

There are a great group of guys in the dressing room who will be here next season and there will be good building blocks in the draft to build on what should be nolan exciting team.

But I due tend to agree with Millpond and Pond Hockey that the team needs to hit the mark on those high rounds Saturday morning and make it harder for management to decide who stays come mid-August.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
I can't say that was a steep price for a higher price, sure picks come with a cost but beyond that what he gave up and what he could get with that pick, could far and none improve the clubs development into next season if he can get the guy he wants and if the guy will report.

What he picks with that pick maybe the difference maker a year from now in the depth chart for the teams success, although he probably added the pick because be wants a player who he thinks may not be available in later rounds.
Now there is a good point " If the player will report"

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
Kiss another one goodbye

Good god,

2 players we drafted with premium top picks in the top 65 are likely never going to suit up here.

Not sure if DD was hell-bent on drafting these guys or if he took bad intel from someone within the organization but If its the latter, I hope that person has no say at our draft table this year.

If its DD, I really hope he knows what he's doing this draft.

We need to start hitting more on picks.

Last year's draft was a dud.

2017 we got Guzda and Chib. So far neither of those guys have been up to par although I did like them both down the stretch. Let us hope that's a sign of things to come.

We can't have what would be 4 poor drafts in a row. This draft is crucial to the future entering the 1st full season of the rebuild. Some will argue the dudas draft was a good one. I beg to differ. It gave us Groulx, Dudas and a player from that draft got Robinson outside of that trio it was a bad draft.

I hope we get the best players available and they commit to the Attack.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Brody Waters's Men's Ice Hockey Recruiting Profile

Some here have mentioned the possibility of 2018 draft pick Brody Waters being a player that the Attack may sign for next season. This article seems to indicate his intensions.
Thanks for sharing this.

Brody Waters played really well in camp last year and went on to put up over a PPG in Jr B. He plays a hard-nosed game, battles in the corners, got in a fight at rookie camp last year. He'd be a fan-favorite at the Bayshore. Big loss for sure if he has other plans. We'll see what happens, but I hope he comes to OS.

Without Barnes or Waters, then we'd have Seed as the only roster player through, at minimum, the first 5 rounds of the 2018 draft. That's not good. 2017 draft wasn't good either (Russell gone).

I think this is all part of why DD picked up that other 2nd round pick this week, which came at the net loss of a 3rd & 6th pick. He knows we need more young guys on the roster in September. Too bad it cost us a 3rd and 6th, but that's the price when you're dealing from a position of weakness. This is what I'm talking about when I say we need to be more intentional with our picks going forward.

Reactions: Attackfan43

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Owen Sound at it again...posted on Attack twitter:

The Owen Sound Attack have swapped picks in a trade with the Guelph Storm.

To Owen Sound:
Guelph 6th (2020)
Oshawa 8th (2020)

To Guelph:
Owen Sound 6th (2019)#HearTheSound

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I know its early but holy DD is hitting a home run I think.. first for picks can all put the puck in the net and are very skilled I expect a tender next.

Reactions: Millpond

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
I know its early but holy DD is hitting a home run I think.. first for picks can all put the puck in the net and are very skilled I expect a tender next.

It sucks that we can only put 3 of these kids in the line up next year. Because at least 4 of them can make it as early as next year.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Alberg has a contract with his DEL Club in Köln which offers him to switch between DEL and DEL2. I’m sorry but if you think Alberg couldn’t even play in the german 3 league then you’re not very familiar with the system in Germany. Some of the guys that were on the 3rd-4th line in the german nationals last season (Alberg was 1st) even signed pro contract and got a couple games in the DEL. So Alberg definitely has good options in Germany nd we’ll see what he decides to do.
Just wanted to make that clear.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I like the Attack picked 3 forwards with their first four picks. One kid, 6'5", over 200 pounds . Just what the Dr ordered.

Deni Goure and Ethan Burroughs are two names you will hear a lot in years to come. They and their families were all welcomed to Owen Sound today. Lots of exciting players coming to camp in August.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I like the Attack picked 3 forwards with their first four picks. One kid, 6'5", over 200 pounds . Just what the Dr ordered.

Deni Goure and Ethan Burroughs are two names you will hear a lot in years to come. They and their families were all welcomed to Owen Sound today. Lots of exciting players coming to camp in August.
I believe it was 4 for 4.. 3C And 1 RW

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Alberg has a contract with his DEL Club in Köln which offers him to switch between DEL and DEL2. I’m sorry but if you think Alberg couldn’t even play in the german 3 league then you’re not very familiar with the system in Germany. Some of the guys that were on the 3rd-4th line in the german nationals last season (Alberg was 1st) even signed pro contract and got a couple games in the DEL. So Alberg definitely has good options in Germany nd we’ll see what he decides to do.
Just wanted to make that clear.

Thanks for clearing up his contract situation (presumably), but don't appreciate the jab - I've followed German hockey for nearly a decade and the development opportunities for junior aged players is sketchy at best.

He for sure isn't DEL quality right now, especially a wealthier team in Köln, and especially given how many under 20 players even see the ice in that league. DEL2 maybe... There was what a dozen 18 year old regulars in that league this season?

At any rate, even if Alberg had options in DEL2 or Oberliga, playing a 3rd/4th line role on whatever team he'd be on there wouldn't be exactly an upgrade from his chances here. At least in Canadian junior, he's got an opportunity play on a scoring line if he impresses next fall.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Is it 3 or 4 16 year olds?

Age breakdown in the league are as follows for those who may or may not remember or know this

OA's (20) X3

19's as many as the team wants as long as the y have enough player cards

18's as many as the team wants as long as they have enough player cards

17's as many as they want as long as they have enough player cards

16's X3

Keep in mind that the 16's either have full season contracts or emergency calls contracts depending upon the situation.

If they player is an emergency call up they have a maximum of 10 games they can suit up for or they either have to burn a player card on them or send them to the lower levels to finish the season. You can sign a 4th underage but you have to assign him a X10 game playing card, then return him to lower level after his 10th game.

plowman

Nov 24, 2014
You can have a maximum of four 16 year olds on your team. Your first two draft picks and two others. If you trade for a 16 year old in the January trade window, that 16 year old can be added to the 16 year olds you already have. So Owen Sound could have Goure and Burroughs plus two others in there lineup next year. Shlaine would not count as he is a 17 year old

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Was relieved and excited to see both Goure and Burroughs made the trip north and took a picture per the team's Facebook page. At least we know the top two picks are going to report this fall!

Agreed at least that is a good sign. I always believed that this draft was a critical draft for the team and that management had to hit homeruns with the first two picks, having both of them make an appearance yesterday shows that they will be a good piece in building this team forward next season.

At least we know that they're interested in reporting to training camp this fall, which is a good sign that they very well both be in the team's plans next season. Certainly a step in the right direction

Reactions: Attack Fan

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Was relieved and excited to see both Goure and Burroughs made the trip north and took a picture per the team's Facebook page. At least we know the top two picks are going to report this fall!
Both boys and families seemed excited to be coming . I predict good things moving forward.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Totally agree with posters. Attack did a good job in this year's draft. Hopefully things pan out and we get some of these boys playing in September. Going through the list and getting some info on the boys, found this interview with Brayden Hislop, Waterloo Wolves. Apparently his favourite NHL player is former Attacker Wayne Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad