Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Not to hijack your board but I thought I’d add that the Bulldogs are not the same championship team as last year by a long shot. To me they were opportunistic. As far as your goalie, glad he’s off to a good start in his career but it’s very hard to win consistently in this league with rookie goalies. Look at the positioning and over committing on some of the goals. Kind of baffling how Lazer can go from out of the lineup to being on the top line (which is very good). Like many teams, the Attack will need to find more depth scoring. Well there’s my two cents. Finally, where do you guys see the Attack shaping up this year? Looks like they could go either way.

Lyszczarczyk and Bourque have been rotating in and out of the lineup due to 4 overages on the roster. The other two are Hancock and Durzi.

I see this roster as looking a whole lot the same as it does now.
Anyone who follows the team closely knows DeGray is very reluctant to make big splashy trades. In fact the last time he 'cleared house ' was his first year in Owen Sound.

Has he painted himself into a corner ? May well have.

The team has no high end picks to bargain for a veteran goalie or top line winger. And I'd be really surprised if he blows this team up in December.

He's a big proponent of summer trades, and 'soft trades' at the deadline.

So , yeah, get used to a whole lot more of this, and hopefully development from within succeeds.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Just to clarify I did watch the game last night all be it on the telly. I like AM and Guzda as well. Both young tenders and still finding their way. Just suggesting it was not the best outing. If he had let in 7 would that still be a good showing? I'm a junior hockey fan and want to see these kids do well so enough said here. I still stand by an earlier post on this thread that Guzda will be a top tender in this league. Just needs more reps.

Agreed tenders are funny positions but two 17 yo's need to learn the league and they only learn by playing in the net

Reactions: Waddapuck

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
It would be nice if the D would help out the young fellas a bit. Way too many odd man rushes and soft clearing attempts last night. Trading one of the OAs is a problem as both of them are key players when they play.

Reactions: Waddapuck

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
In defence of MacLean, he DID hold his team in . A number of goals were on second or third chances, and a number were on odd man rushes after defensive zone turnovers.

The goalie is supposed to make the first stop, and for the most part he did just that.

And stonewalled a pretty good shooter in s-o in Kaliev, who scored three for the Dogs.

I'd cut the goalie a bit of slack, its his third OHL start, and all he's done is got 5 of 6 points.

There's lots of areas for improvement, to be sure at all positions.

I'd bet Matos felt lucky to get the extra point as his veteran, championship team also allowed 6 goals and were completely dominated by the Attack in overtime.
Mill your spot on. There was way too much defensive breakdowns in the game causing scoring chances and goals. The D need to stay home a bit more and make quality passes. AM did come up big at times stopping many of the first shots and appeared to stay cool under pressure. Although 2 of the goals AM overcomitted on he SOMEHOW made the initial save still on each. Lyco, im glad you brought up the skills portion. With that being said AM was the better of the two goalies in theory. At least he stopped a shot. Donofrio let in the only shot on net, the other 2 missed completley lol. Big positive for the game was that our offense may be starting to get there groove, hopefully we can build on that.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Not to hijack your board but I thought I’d add that the Bulldogs are not the same championship team as last year by a long shot. To me they were opportunistic.
I'm thinking the same. Not to take anything away from the Bulldogs, they have some skilled players, but I wasn't seeing the same team that beat the mighty Hounds last postseason. The game was there for the taking for the Attack, they just didn't do it. Spot on about Hamilton's opportunistic play. They weathered the storm early on (i.e., lack of finish on OS's part) and again late in the game, while capitalizing on OS's (too many) mistakes. That's how they won.

Lack of finish and defensive miscues are the reasons why teams are beating the Attack these days.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Just to clarify I did watch the game last night all be it on the telly. I like AM and Guzda as well. Both young tenders and still finding their way. Just suggesting it was not the best outing. If he had let in 7 would that still be a good showing? I'm a junior hockey fan and want to see these kids do well so enough said here. I still stand by an earlier post on this thread that Guzda will be a top tender in this league. Just needs more reps.
I agree that Guzda will be a top goalie, and I like what I see from AM so far too. Small sample size as the season is still young, but it's interesting to note that the team's goal support for AM is 4.0 goals/game and just 2.4 for Guzda (EN goals excluded). I agree that Guz needs more starts and I hope the offense can support him better. He's still quite raw, but he's a real talent.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
In my opinion MacLean had an ok game but made some major saves that show what he is capable of. It was far from great in the stats department but I feel the Defense were largely at fault for many of the goals. He definitely made some saves he almost had no business making and at times had to make multiple saves in quick concession, some ended up in goals which could of been prevented if the D would have cleared some bodies, however the same could be said on if he had a bit better rebound control i guess. I for one find that he is great at playing the puck out of his crease. He makes great fast passes up the ice and seems to be quite aware of who is coming and where. I honestly think we have two very very good young goalies that in time are going to be great in this league. Other then the goaltending the first line was a major treat to watch last night they were just flying at times and it was good to get the PP clicking. I really liked Sushko in front of the net he needs to find a permanent home there on the powerplays and it was nice to see him finally pop one. One thing to remember is Gills teams for whatever reason even back before he was with OS have some tendencies that never seem to change... they tend to have a slow start to the season and they tend to score in bunches or not at all and very rarely do they get out shot. I may not be a lover of his strategies some days but there is some credit to be had. Hopefully its just another case of the slow start theory.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Defense was really the deciding factor Wednesday. I've been happy with Chibs but he shouldn't be on the PK. It appears #2 is lower on the depth chart than Chibs and if you pay 2 x 2nds for him he should be playing a bit more than that. MacLean impressed for the most part. He battled, looked steady, played the puck well, gave up some big rebounds, overplayed a bit but overall he looked good. And yes he likely was not happy with 7 goals regardless of his play. Wonder if we see a "if you win you stay in " strategy for the goalie rotation for a bit. Top line continues to be a treat to watch. Dudas and Sushko were broken up quite a bit. I would like to see Sushko up on the first line if Lazer is out or traded.

Reactions: Noofgoof

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I would agree with Sush on the first line only if he quits sulking about not getting more of a look from the Flyers at least I hope that's his issue if it's a deeper issue we are in trouble. I have no problem with Robinson on the first line I think given some more time with those guy's he would figure out his role on the line,he will never be Gadj but it may be along time before we get another Gadj. Robinson could be effective in that role given time.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Chibs is definitely seeing a lot of ice out there. With Durzi and Bourque for sure, and possibly Phillips and Lyle all departing next year, I think #4 is being given a big chance to develop his game this year. I think management wants to see what they have in him. He's learning, a work in progress for sure. I think #2's ice time is indicative of his overall play (e.g., +/-).

The top line definitely looks best overall with #8 out there. Lazer can keep up with those guys speed- and skill-wise. Robinson looks better in front of the net than Lazer (he showed that with the goal he scored vs. Oshawa), but I think lacks the speed to really keep up with them. If Lazer does get traded, it would be interesting to see what Roberts could do on that line.

Sushko and Dudas haven't really clicked this year so far like they did for much of last season. Dudas looks good out there, Sushko I don't know (e.g., +/-). Hopefully Sushko can build off his goal last game.

I do hope Guzda gets more starts, I think he's the future of this team. Not to take anything away from AM, he has played as well as could be expected so far. I think maybe he seems a bit better than he has been based on better goal support and making all his starts at home. Both goalies have made big saves to keep the team in games. Really it's been defensive miscues that have plagued the team so far, IMO, rather than poor goaltending. Not saying Guzda has been perfect this year, but I think if the team gave him better goal support and tightened up defensively in front of him, there wouldn't be any question about who should be the #1 G. There's a reason he's a B rated prospect.

Reactions: Stellar29

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Anyone else watching on Neulion?

I haven't been too pleased with it. Seems to work ok at the beginning, then lots of buffering.

It's about 1:30 min behind the radio play by play.

It's basically a choppy unreliable replay of the game, if you can stand all the stoppages .

Not at all impressed.

Fail.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

I haven't been too pleased with it. Seems to work ok at the beginning, then lots of buffering.

It's basically a choppy unreliable replay of the game, if you can stand all the stoppages .

Not at all impressed.

Fail.
We watched on Neulion as well; very poor quality, sound awful. This isn't the first time the games have been poor quality feed. Tempted to email them. You'd think by now they would have sorted out their issues.

Reactions: Millpond

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002

Not at all impressed.

Fail.
Millpond, I suffered through Neulion with an away pass for the Attack last season. With every game, you never knew if the feed was going to be OK or brutal. Luckily, Neulion were usually good about offering a promo code for a free game when the feed didn't work (thought I had to complain). I lost track of how many free games they gave me. This season I got the away pass again, and the very first game in Barrie was just unbearable to try to watch. Decided it wasn't worth it, so I asked for a refund and they gave it to me. Bear Radio now for me.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So it's not just me.....
We tried a few playoff games last year, and decided to get the Attack away pkg.
Yup Barrie was unwatchable.
This one started ok then 2nd period terrible, finally listened on Bear radio, the OHL Live was about 2 min behind , when it wasn't buffering.

I don't think it's my Internet service, we watch Netflix all the time with no problems .

You'd think in this day and age, they'd have better technology than that. Bush league .
Very disappointed.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
BTW, the Attack bounced back with a strong 3rd period, by all concerned. After those 3 goals, Guzda played very well.

First road game of the season that Nick and Hsnner get a point, between them 4g, 3 a. Nice way to break out.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Not to hijack your board but I thought I’d add that the Bulldogs are not the same championship team as last year by a long shot. To me they were opportunistic. As far as your goalie, glad he’s off to a good start in his career but it’s very hard to win consistently in this league with rookie goalies. Look at the positioning and over committing on some of the goals. Kind of baffling how Lazer can go from out of the lineup to being on the top line (which is very good). Like many teams, the Attack will need to find more depth scoring. Well there’s my two cents. Finally, where do you guys see the Attack shaping up this year? Looks like they could go either way.

I thought I'd chirp in on this one, having actually gone to the game on Wed. The Bulldogs are a much different beast this year then last. Last year, it was scoring by committee backed by rock solid defense, this year it's all about the top line (Saigeon, Kaliyev and usually Strome, Entwistle or Nurse) and power play scoring to try to cover for the ailing defense as we lost 5 defencemen from last year.

I felt that Owen Sound were the faster team, and were more well rounded, weren't insulating their tender enough. That first period, when the Attack were up on the shot clock by well over 10 and kept peppering Donofrio, they kept trying to keep that aggression up which ended up creating a lot of opportunities for the Dogs, which you just can't do with some of the league's top point earners.

Good game though regardless, glad I made the trip up.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Regarding Neulion feeds. I have watched for a few years now. The quality is directly related to the venue not Neulion. The venues camera types and upload speed are the determining factors. The OS feed is not very good because we don't have HD cameras and a slow upload link. No fibre in OS, come on SWIFT :) You can always count on awesome feeds from big centers like London, Kitchener, etc.
My feed was not choppy last night. Quality was not great . Audio was fine. I am on a 8 MB/s GBTel connetion. You will never get it exactly lined up with the radio feed sorry to say. The first Barrie game was not a Neulion issue. Rogers had an issue and did not broadcast the game at all but Neulion got a hold of the 1 camera feed so we got something. Neulion is good at giving free game promos for issues, just email them.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Regarding Neulion feeds. I have watched for a few years now. The quality is directly related to the venue not Neulion. The venues camera types and upload speed are the determining factors. The OS feed is not very good because we don't have HD cameras and a slow upload link. No fibre in OS, come on SWIFT :) You can always count on awesome feeds from big centers like London, Kitchener, etc.
My feed was not choppy last night. Quality was not great . Audio was fine. I am on a 8 MB/s GBTel connetion. You will never get it exactly lined up with the radio feed sorry to say. The first Barrie game was not a Neulion issue. Rogers had an issue and did not broadcast the game at all but Neulion got a hold of the 1 camera feed so we got something. Neulion is good at giving free game promos for issues, just email them.
Thanks for this Mike.
You are well versed in the tech side of things. I've got 2mbps off xplornet satellite.
My feed started out terrible . The video was fine but audio choppy. I'm not sure why, but when I put the scroll marker to the right it would clear up for a bit ( you know the marker that moves along the bottom of the screen, showing your progress while watching a movie or video?

Finally there was a big Internet fart, the thing buffered and it worked fine for a while, then very choppy with lots of buffering.

I don't mind the delay with the radio feed , as long as I can watch and listen to the OHL feed.

I've had more bad experiences than good so far..

I guess just a glaring example of why we need better Internet here.

(Of course it's a damn site better than no Internet coverage. We used to race home from the game, put on Sportsnet and wait for the update ticker along the bottom of the screen to see who won that night. If you missed it you'd have to wait another 1/2 HR. )

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

So the old adage applies here, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t...

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Thanks for this Mike.
You are well versed in the tech side of things. I've got 2mbps off xplornet satellite.
My feed started out terrible . The video was fine but audio choppy. I'm not sure why, but when I put the scroll marker to the right it would clear up for a bit ( you know the marker that moves along the bottom of the screen, showing your progress while watching a movie or video?

Finally there was a big Internet fart, the thing buffered and it worked fine for a while, then very choppy with lots of buffering.

I don't mind the delay with the radio feed , as long as I can watch and listen to the OHL feed.

I've had more bad experiences than good so far..

I guess just a glaring example of why we need better Internet here.

(Of course it's a damn site better than no Internet coverage. We used to race home from the game, put on Sportsnet and wait for the update ticker along the bottom of the screen to see who won that night. If you missed it you'd have to wait another 1/2 HR. )

You will be hard pressed to get a decent feed off neulion with only 2 mb/s of total bandwidth. In the player they have some video quality options. Best available, 2000, 1000 and ?? Their best available should switch the stream quality based on your connection speed dynamically but I find that it isn’t as good as say netflix for this. You should try 1000 setting and that should give less buffering and chop but with a lower quality view. But as mentioned the venue has a lot to do with it. London games look stellar on neulion.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
You will be hard pressed to get a decent feed off neulion with only 2 mb/s of total bandwidth. In the player they have some video quality options. Best available, 2000, 1000 and ?? Their best available should switch the stream quality based on your connection speed dynamically but I find that it isn’t as good as say netflix for this. You should try 1000 setting and that should give less buffering and chop but with a lower quality view. But as mentioned the venue has a lot to do with it. London games look stellar on neulion.
Thanks for the tech advice , Mike.
I'll try this next game. The trade off for living in paradise , is slow Internet.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Can you get GbTel in your area? Highly recommend them. The owner is local.
I stand corrected, my download speed is 10mbps.

I just did a speed test, this morn I'm getting 13 .7 mbps download, .96 mbps upload.

We just went back to satellite . Had fixed wireless for 5 yrs, they said too many trees in the way.

I got the same download speed but only half the data per month now .

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I stand corrected, my download speed is 10mbps.

I just did a speed test, this morn I'm getting 13 .7 mbps download, .96 mbps upload.

We just went back to satellite . Had fixed wireless for 5 yrs, they said too many trees in the way.

I got the same download speed but only half the data per month now .

Do that test on a Saturday night. Satellite introduces a whole other set of problems. Mainly around compression and latency. Netflix is by far the best in delivering and adjusting feed quality based on your quality of service. Other players/plugins likely are less sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad