Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
I see as of today, Nathan Torchia is now with the Georgetown Raiders of the OJHL. Good Luck to him. Now, on to tonight's game against the Storm. Boys need to step it up if they want to win this one. Keeping out of the box would be a good start. Will be interesting to see who the O/A is that sits out.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
That was the best overall effort by the team that i have seen all year. Guzda did not see many shots but what he did he stood up. The D did not turn over the puck as much, and our forwards capitalized on break downs and buried the puck. The OA and goalie fight has brought some life to the team! Keep it up bears and keep "Attacking!"

Reactions: Millpond and OSMike

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
New lines certainly looked good last night. Especially the 2nd line.
Sushko - Suzuki - Pearson
Groulx - Dudas - Hancock
Doherty - Russell - Robinson

Agreed that this was the best game of Attack hockey this year.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Nice to see Sushko with a pair this weekend to get rolling.

Five out of six points this week is always a good sign. Suddenly we're back in the thick of things in the Midwest.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
That was the best overall effort by the team that i have seen all year. Guzda did not see many shots but what he did he stood up. The D did not turn over the puck as much, and our forwards capitalized on break downs and buried the puck. The OA and goalie fight has brought some life to the team! Keep it up bears and keep "Attacking!"

Agreed. I read coach Gill's comment after the game, instead of watching Guelph tape to prepare, they watched Attack tape.

Have to hand it to Gill,, it would have been easy to roll out the same as before, especially with a win Friday and SO point Wednesday .

The moves translated to a solid outing by all. He simply asked them to play as hard as they can for their team mates.

All of a sudden there's a log jam in the Midwest standings.

Nice to see Guzda with another solid outing. It must be precarious, managing 2 x 17 yr old goaltenders .

They've both played well of late.

Time is running out on the OA situation . Obviously there aren't the returns out there DeGray is looking for.

Hopefully the team gets something back for the departing 20 yr old.
Someone in the league is getting a bargain, I'm afraid.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team had a good week of hockey picking up 5 out of 6 points and climbing the standings.

Good to see the lines get juggled and produce against the Storm. Couldn't ask the team anymore getting 5 out of 6 points this past weekend.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Team had a good week of hockey picking up 5 out of 6 points and climbing the standings.

Good to see the lines get juggled and produce against the Storm. Couldn't ask the team anymore getting 5 out of 6 points this past weekend.

Agreed.

Would be nice to see Robinson, Doherty and Russell get going. All have been fairly quiet this year. If those guys get going and can provide some decent secondary scoring, this team might be alright down the stretch!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Do that test on a Saturday night. Satellite introduces a whole other set of problems. Mainly around compression and latency. Netflix is by far the best in delivering and adjusting feed quality based on your quality of service. Other players/plugins likely are less sophisticated.

So I contacted Nuelion tech support they suggest I make sure my browser is up to date, I enable popups, and update adobe flash drive.

If all that doesn't help, I'll try running through a different browser . I'm using Google Chrome, but can also go with the default windows Explorer.

If all that doesn't help, I've got another laptop, which is fairly new and totally uncluttered I'll try.

I'll keep you posted.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Had a chance to catch up with the recent games. Very happy to agree with other posters here that this past weekend may have been the best games played so far this season as a TEAM. A well balanced attack with a couple of changes in the forward lines and a better defensive game with the two OA's back there. Great to see the top two lines scoring goals on a more consistent basis. It shows that the opposition has a tougher time now trying to match lines or shut down two scoring lines. A few timely, big saves were also a key point to the success last weekend.
Another very big 3 game weekend coming up. Hopefully these OS boys will keep up the great work and keep things rolling.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Some may agree, some may disagree, but I wrote my thoughts on what the attack should do this year.

Now yes, we are only nearly 25% through the seasons schedule. But with teams like London, Saginaw, Guelph and quite possibly the hounds all likely going all in, I have some thoughts lol

Owen Sound Attack Buyers Or Sellers?
Good article , Seb. This season is a pivotal one for management. Maintaining a playoff team for years has built a solid fan base.

The dilemma is this:
There are few high draft picks left for the next three seasons . With Josh Barnes going the college route, the replacement for Nick Suzuki is missing going forward.

The missing picks/prospects could affect the team for years to come.

So what to do now? Sell off, restock draft cupboards and bring in young inexperienced prospects, at the risk of losing fan visits now, or risk poor performance in upcoming years and loss of fan visits?

One thing is for sure, management has their work cut out for them .

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Good article , Seb. This season is a pivotal one for management. Maintaining a playoff team for years has built a solid fan base.

The dilemma is this:
There are few high draft picks left for the next three seasons . With Josh Barnes going the college route, the replacement for Nick Suzuki is missing going forward.

The missing picks/prospects could affect the team for years to come.

So what to do now? Sell off, restock draft cupboards and bring in young inexperienced prospects, at the risk of losing fan visits now, or risk poor performance in upcoming years and loss of fan visits?

One thing is for sure, management has their work cut out for them .

It's true. Very strange territory.

I look at next years roster and see some major gaps.

We will be set in net.

Defence, after this season Phillips, Bourque, Durzi are all gone.

Still don't know what we have in Chibrikov yet. Seed and Robertson are likely the 1st pairing which is quite the jump.

Forwards, Dudas, Groulx and Pearson (What a steal) will be the leaders but behind them its thin.

I think its a playoff team next year but it might be a bit of a rough year.

This year, this team is hovering on contender and pretender.

I think they've got the pieces on the roster but are missing the assets to truly make them a contender.

I just don'twant to see 2 of the best to ever don an attack jersey walk for nothing after a 2nd round exit. That's a hard sell to me.

You move the stars (Durzi, Suzuki, Sushko, Phillips all return prospects and picks) which improves next years roster and refills the cupboard.

As mentioned the team would still be competitive this year. Would still hover in the 3-6 spot. But def makes the future a little brighter.

Reactions: Finster8

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
It's true. Very strange territory.

Defence, after this season Phillips, Bourque, Durzi are all gone.

I see Phillips back next year.

But overall yes the Attack are at a cross roads and so am in regards to buy / sell or hold. Really Buy is not an option. I'd prefer a sell but think it may be a case of a partial sell and a hold.

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I see Phillips back next year.

I don't.

The defence right now on the Ontario Reign is a tire fire. Phillips if eligible right now could play for them thats how bad it is.

LA is a team in cap hell so that works out in Owen Sounds favor but I couldn't say comfortably that Phillips will be back in the OHL.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
I kind of like this thinking but it would go against the way it usually goes with Degray. I think that the fan base could handle a total rebuild and would continue to support a young team.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I agree with alot of what you said. However theres some more factors and some facts your not quite right about. First is that there is more then 2 and a half weeks to set our OAS. That’s partially true but thats for teams to drop to 4 OAs not 3. But currently we do still own the rights to Gadj and its something to be considered if there is any slight chance of him being returned although its highly doubtful. We need to consider either moving or keeping his rights if thats the case. I believe Teams must drop to 3 usually the day before the regular trade deadline. We could however keep gadjs rights for now and trade one of the other 4 OAs which would be ok until January then make the ultimate decision. I think alot of the decision will likely have to be made based on the price it will cost for upgrades versus the ransome in return. As much as it sucks I think it would be a good year to try a sale like you mention while returning some assets for the near future. Many fans wont be pleased but it should be done and this might be the year we see Degrey finally do it.

IMO The only way around it would be if he can some how throw a curveball aquiring some players from university hockey or some magical trades for future considerations or both and making an acquisition for a goalie for cheap who some how pays off similar to what Kitchener did last year (which I dont really think is out there at the moment) I dont envy Degrey at the moment as its a tough spot to be in.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I agree with alot of what you said. However theres some more factors and some facts your not quite right about. First is that there is more then 2 and a half weeks to set our OAS. That’s partially true but thats for teams to drop to 4 OAs not 3. But currently we do still own the rights to Gadj and its something to be considered if there is any slight chance of him being returned although its highly doubtful. We need to consider either moving or keeping his rights if thats the case. I believe Teams must drop to 3 usually the day before the regular trade deadline. We could however keep gadjs rights for now and trade one of the other 4 OAs which would be ok until January then make the ultimate decision. I think alot of the decision will likely have to be made based on the price it will cost for upgrades versus the ransome in return. As much as it sucks I think it would be a good year to try a sale like you mention while returning some assets for the near future. Many fans wont be pleased but it should be done and this might be the year we see Degrey finally do it.

IMO The only way around it would be if he can some how throw a curveball aquiring some players from university hockey or some magical trades for future considerations or both and making an acquisition for a goalie for cheap who some how pays off similar to what Kitchener did last year (which I dont really think is out there at the moment) I dont envy Degrey at the moment as its a tough spot to be in.

I think we will have an idea of where Vancouver is at with Gadj in the next month. He isn't getting the time with Utica. He is ECHL eligible. Looking at uticas roster it seams they are interchanging a ton of players. Lots of players with 4-6 games played.

But the Tyler Randell situation could happen. Gets returned in the back 3rd of the season.

You are correct about the O/A rule thats my error. However, with the already lack of teams needing an O/A the value isn't high on guys like lazer and trent, but I wouldn't want to drag this out much longer. Can't keep making line up changes every game.

The curve ball idea is interesting. Let me take a look and see what kind of players are out there.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So it may be the proverbial bird in the hand worth two in the bush.

Trouble is, other teams don't play nice. They give a rats behind about the situation the Attack are in .
No one is going to pay more for an OA than they feel they are worth, and whatever is being thrown around hasn't excited DD, or someone would have been moved by now.

The team simply doesn't have draft picks to add to the core this year, and with two goalies that are a year or two out, it would be a good year to unload, restock and move forward.

Will the team have the stomach for it ?

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
The team simply doesn't have draft picks to add to the core this year, and with two goalies that are a year or two out, it would be a good year to unload, restock and move forward.

Will the team have the stomach for it ?
That's the big question for sure.

Was listening to Bear Radio last Friday vs. Sarnia. Shaun Bisson made a guest appearance as the colour guy. He made some comments that the team hasn't yet figured out its identity this year, and wondered whether the team would make a run this year or sell at the deadline (paraphrasing). He seemed to think selling was a possibility, which I thought was interesting given his experience with the team.

My observation has been that DD usually does the opposite of what I expect to see happen. So it will be interesting to see how this unfolds for sure.

Seeing how the G position looks very solid for the Attack for the next 2-3 seasons, one option could be to trade some vets at the deadline for some younger guys who are on the cusp of really contributing. More of a 'retool' than a rebuild. Like London last year getting two '00s and a '01 for their vets. If the Attack could pick up some quality '01s and maybe a high-end '02 at the deadline to build around Guzda, it could set the stage for a competitive team for the next 2-3 years. Could also likely get back some of those missing 2nds and 3rds over the next few drafts by selling this year. And given how badly Flint looks, the odds are good that the Attack could deal their vets and still squeak into the playoffs and keep that steak alive.

As much as I like our vets, the thought of not getting anything back for Suzuki/Durzi, combined with no 2nds or 3rds for the next 3 years, is a fairly scary picture for me. I'd love to see what this team can do this year, and it will likely be some time before we get to see another talent like #37 in OS, but it's hard to see how not selling is a viable option.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The theory of a "rebuilding or retooling" process is an on the fence hype right now. That being said it isn't entirely clear what options management will take with what's left of the season.

This team could get hot at the right time and run the table or could look to the future, everyone has to remember the team is only a dozen games into the season and with really only the Hounds being clear cut favorites early on that leaves the rest of the conference wide open for challengers.

The Xmas break is the real test of where the team's season will go right now, however we all saw what happened last season to the team when they played on the fence of making the postseason early on and then pushed for the conference near the end of the season.

On the other side of the equation TG has done exactly what you would expect from him "teach" in the first half and "exacute" in the second half.

This league is a league of a long distance marathon not a short distance sprint, and the marathon is still early.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The theory of a "rebuilding or retooling" process is an on the fence hype right now. That being said it isn't entirely clear what options management will take with what's left of the season.

This team could get hot at the right time and run the table or could look to the future, everyone has to remember the team is only a dozen games into the season and with really only the Hounds being clear cut favorites early on that leaves the rest of the conference wide open for challengers.

The Xmas break is the real test of where the team's season will go right now, however we all saw what happened last season to the team when they played on the fence of making the postseason early on and then pushed for the conference near the end of the season.

On the other side of the equation TG has done exactly what you would expect from him "teach" in the first half and "exacute" in the second half.

This league is a league of a long distance marathon not a short distance sprint, and the marathon is still early.

I don't think the bolded is true at all.

The Hounds have notable holes in their line up and are also a team that has nothing left in terms of assets. To me the clear cut favorites are Guelph and Saginaw with London and Soo waiting to see if they get players back from the NHL/AHL.

As mentioned, the Attack also have very few assets to acquire anything significant. It's a team that is still a top 6 Forward, another depth defencemen (Possibly 2 with who gets dealt) and has questions in net. This team isn't a true contender. They may get hot, you are correct. Teams like Guelph, Saginaw, Soo are all better, London if they get back Forms and Bouchard. Those teams (Minus the Soo) will be able to out do any move the Attack make.

We can't really compare this teams to last seasons either. That team was legit a league average goalie short of anything could happen. There isn't anyone who has stepped into the roles that Gadj, Friend, McKenzie left. I think someone like Groulx and Pearson have been nice this year and are able to pick up where Szypula left off but the gaps in the line up are very noticeable. There have been some surprises but the depth on this team even with a healthy Roberts is not one that I would trust in any playoff series especially if we dont have home ice advantage.

This season is a marathon and not a spring you are correct, but ill tell you right now as a fan ill be pissed if I see nothing happen. DD is going to have to have to pick whether he is buying or selling. Standing pat is not an option and will be a hard sell to the fans.

Reactions: PensFan101

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Great debate going on here people!! :thumbu:
As far as the "biggest piece for the biggest return" (#37 Suzuki) that could be dealt from this team right now, I'm not too certain he would ever want to leave...
Do we really think that #37 will ever "ok" a trade away from the only team he has played for in the OHL?
Nick may very well be the highest scoring player EVER to play for the Platers/Attack franchise after this season. I think this is a very big thing for him and his family as he furthers his hockey career in the Pro ranks starting next season.
So let's just say #37 says "no" to a trade out of town, does this then force DD and management to make a push to "add" a piece or two and try to make a final run with what most posters here are calling a "very good 99 draft class" that is still here?
I'm hoping the "fence" is large and sturdy because there are a lot of us sitting on it right now waiting to see what way the Attack decision makers are going to lean!:help:

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Digger is in the same position this year as he was last. The same problems exist this year with the only difference being there is no clear cut favourite to win it all this year. Soo doing well but not the same as last year. Sarnia was a factor last year. Not so this year.

There is a ton of parity this year and the Attack may well be contenders come seasons end. Their most recent win against a very talented Storm squad shows me they can compete for the conference championship.

I spoke briefly with George Burnett and he said his team has a long way to go and lots of work to be done. No clear favourite tells me the Attack should stay the course and make the changes you have to but in Degray style. No knee jerk reactions. Let them come to you.

Having said that the longer you wait on the OA situation the less it is worth because come the deadline you have no choice but to move one.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Great debate going on here people!! :thumbu:
As far as the "biggest piece for the biggest return" (#37 Suzuki) that could be dealt from this team right now, I'm not too certain he would ever want to leave...
Do we really think that #37 will ever "ok" a trade away from the only team he has played for in the OHL?
Nick may very well be the highest scoring player EVER to play for the Platers/Attack franchise after this season. I think this is a very big thing for him and his family as he furthers his hockey career in the Pro ranks starting next season.
So let's just say #37 says "no" to a trade out of town, does this then force DD and management to make a push to "add" a piece or two and try to make a final run with what most posters here are calling a "very good 99 draft class" that is still here?
I'm hoping the "fence" is large and sturdy because there are a lot of us sitting on it right now waiting to see what way the Attack decision makers are going to lean!:help:
Suzuki will play were ever Montreal tells him to play- they own his rights and if they want him to play on a team that has a chance at a long playoff run he will go there. Do you think Thomas or Day wanted to be traded last year?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Suzuki will play were ever Montreal tells him to play- they own his rights and if they want him to play on a team that has a chance at a long playoff run he will go there. Do you think Thomas or Day wanted to be traded last year?
You are absolutely right on that another possibility is could the Colt's want Nick and would Nick and his family jump at a chance for the brothers to play together. I don't know what Barrie has for assets can't seem to access the draft pick site but with the East being wide open like usual Nick and if they could afford it Sean Durzi would push Barrie over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad