Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
A few things of interest and need IMO after another split weekend in the win and loss column. I know it's 9 games in but waiting for other teams to get stronger is not the answer if we want to have this Attack team near the top of the Western Conference.

- Please bring in an experienced 00/99 goaltender. #1 Guzda and #30 MacLean are both seventeen years old and neither looks like a guy that can lead the team to a top four spot in the Western Conference. Too many soft goals scored from behind the goal line and floaters from the blueline.
- Please bring in a first line LW that can play along side #16 Hancock and #37 Suzuki. The team needs more production from it's top line on a more consistent basis. They cannot be held in check every second game or so. For this duo on the top line to produce game in and game out they need a big bodied, hard nosed, skilled type of player on their wing. #8 nor #25 are that guy.
- Please cut down the ice time of #4 Chibrikov. He is out on the ice far too much and is directly/indirectly the cause of too many goals and scoring chances against. IMO, I cannot understand why he plays so much more than #2 Robertson and #6 Seed.
- Please tell the D group that there is only one #5 Durzi on this team! Offensive D men are great but they need to be paired with a "stay at home" partner. As it looks now out on the ice, everyone of the 7 Dmen want to skate the puck up as far as they can leading to unnecessary turnovers causing odd man rushes back against us.
- Please tell #24 Sushko that the team needs him to show up and play within the "team" concept for any personal and team success. For some reason he looks disinterested on most nights.
I know things can't change over night or with a snap of a finger but hopefully we can see a few of the above "things of interest and need" come to fruition in the very near future.
-Go Attack Go-

Reactions: OSMike

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
A few things of interest and need IMO after another split weekend in the win and loss column. I know it's 9 games in but waiting for other teams to get stronger is not the answer if we want to have this Attack team near the top of the Western Conference.

- Please bring in an experienced 00/99 goaltender. #1 Guzda and #30 MacLean are both seventeen years old and neither looks like a guy that can lead the team to a top four spot in the Western Conference. Too many soft goals scored from behind the goal line and floaters from the blueline.
- Please bring in a first line LW that can play along side #16 Hancock and #37 Suzuki. The team needs more production from it's top line on a more consistent basis. They cannot be held in check every second game or so. For this duo on the top line to produce game in and game out they need a big bodied, hard nosed, skilled type of player on their wing. #8 nor #25 are that guy.
- Please cut down the ice time of #4 Chibrikov. He is out on the ice far too much and is directly/indirectly the cause of too many goals and scoring chances against. IMO, I cannot understand why he plays so much more than #2 Robertson and #6 Seed.
- Please tell the D group that there is only one #5 Durzi on this team! Offensive D men are great but they need to be paired with a "stay at home" partner. As it looks now out on the ice, everyone of the 7 Dmen want to skate the puck up as far as they can leading to unnecessary turnovers causing odd man rushes back against us.
- Please tell #24 Sushko that the team needs him to show up and play within the "team" concept for any personal and team success. For some reason he looks disinterested on most nights.
I know things can't change over night or with a snap of a finger but hopefully we can see a few of the above "things of interest and need" come to fruition in the very near future.
-Go Attack Go-

I agree with all of this. #4 is an nightmare at times, especially on the PK. The goaltending issue looks a lot like last year and that is scary.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Looking back at this "head scratcher" of a trade last season... and stat's since trade...

To Erie; 2000/3'rd (#51) L. Beamish-LD / 24 games ; 1g + 7ast = 8pts
To Attack; 1999/11'th (#211) C. Robinson-RW / 36 games ; 3g + 5ast = 8pts

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Looking back at this "head scratcher" of a trade last season... and stat's since trade...

To Erie; 2000/3'rd (#51) L. Beamish-LD / 24 games ; 1g + 7ast = 8pts
To Attack; 1999/11'th (#211) C. Robinson-RW / 36 games ; 3g + 5ast = 8pts

Sometimes trades are about more, or other than stats. I'll leave it at that.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

-Go Attack Go-

The team certainly has its stuff to work on .

With the team very thin
on assets, this season will be all about developing from within.

Generallyspeaking

Sep 18, 2018
The team certainly has its stuff to work on .

With the team very thin

I agree, not sure what bargaining room we have. The OA situation becomes a factor, should we sacrifice D for offense? The rookies we have are stepping up but the Nhl draft returns are slouching, need to pick it up! To get an experienced goalie we would have to trade off whatever picks we have left ( heard rumors Windsor may trade off Dipetro if things don't solidify for them). Would cost us significantly at least Dundas, Guzda, and whatever drafts are still available. Not even sure at this point if Guzda would be worth it, his stock is dropping. Maclean has stepped up and is a solid #2 and shows future potential but is still a rookie with only 2 games in. What are we willing to sacrifice at this point? Chib is a wildcard who knows if he will develop, not much from last year. Shush needs to get out of his funk and prove to the NHL that he belongs there. We have high hopes that we can ride on our top line Zuke and Hancock but they need s strong net presence to help them. We have a strong veteran core but if they can't step up, is it worth it to go all in? With that strong veteran group and potential rookie futures what is the answer?

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Was listening to Fred Wallace the other day and on his off the wire that he does in the mornings he threw an extra wrench in the OA situation. He said at that time Jonah Gadjovich had played 0 games in Utica. (He has now played 2 with 0 points) if they were to send him back we have until some time in November to be down to the maximum of 4 OA. Or there is the possibility DeGray can trade his rights or someone elses in hopes that he does come back and atleast get some kind of pick compensation. And then he also said theres also the problem if things go south for us this year and we cant seem to find winning ways then we can always try and trade durzi and hancock for a rebuild. I found this quite interesting and most of us probably thought Gadj was totally gone but theres still a chance.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Was listening to Fred Wallace the other day and on his off the wire that he does in the mornings he threw an extra wrench in the OA situation. He said at that time Jonah Gadjovich had played 0 games in Utica. (He has now played 2 with 0 points) if they were to send him back we have until some time in November to be down to the maximum of 4 OA. Or there is the possibility DeGray can trade his rights or someone elses in hopes that he does come back and atleast get some kind of pick compensation. And then he also said theres also the problem if things go south for us this year and we cant seem to find winning ways then we can always try and trade durzi and hancock for a rebuild. I found this quite interesting and most of us probably thought Gadj was totally gone but theres still a chance.
The overage rule is a team can roster four till November 15.

Gadjovich is still on the protected list so if he came back they'd have to release one current OA to make room, then another at the trade deadline to get to 3.
Either way they can only dress 3.

It's obvious no one is looking for an OA or we'd be at 3 now. That means the asking price is not there.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I guess the question is does DeGray dangle the rights to Gadj to try and get something back or just hold on and release him either at november 15 or in january

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
What was Roberts injury and any idea on his time line to return? I don't think we have the assets to make a significant upgrade in net at this point. We lived through last year, I would be ok with living through this year simply to have developed our 2 young goalies for the future. Finding a true top 6 winger (to replace AL) would be my wish in the current state of the roster.

Reactions: Stellar29

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
OSMike; If I'm not mistaken Robert's injury occurred in the first regular season game in Barrie. He should be back soon if all is going well with his recovery, it will be 4 weeks on Thursday.
As for goalies that may be available and maybe not that expensive;
Barrie - 00 Edmonds
North Bay - 00 Purboo
Sudbury - 99 McGrath
Niagara - 99 Incze (IMO - best option out there)

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
What was Roberts injury and any idea on his time line to return? I don't think we have the assets to make a significant upgrade in net at this point. We lived through last year, I would be ok with living through this year simply to have developed our 2 young goalies for the future. Finding a true top 6 winger (to replace AL) would be my wish in the current state of the roster.
DeGray said that Roberts injury was his shoulder but not the same shoulder as last year's surgery. Minor injury, doing rehab and last heard he was skating with a protective jersey. Hopefully won't be long and he will be back in lineup if all is true.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
With the team very thin
I think you're right. I don't see how the team has the assets to bring in a veteran #1 G or a top-line winger. Gone are two more 2nds in the Robertson deal, and the 2018 2nd rounder didn't report. As things stand now, we're looking at a core group of veterans poised to leave after this season (Suzuki, Hancock, Durzi, Bourque, maybe Phillips and Sushko) and very limited 2nd/3rd picks from the 2018-2022 drafts (no 2nd AND 3rd in the same draft until 2023). I think whatever the team gets back from the extra OA should be in the form of draft picks to help replenish the cupboards.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Team played well enough to get the second point just came up short to the Bulldogs in the shootout.

Have to give the team credit they kept the game close enough especially playing from behind on the scoreboard in the 2nd frame.

AM showed that he can hold the team in the game with some key saves when he need to. Would've been nice to see the team bury some of those wide open chances in the 1st and 3rd period to pull ahead in the scoreboard but good for the guys to dig deep and get a point the the shootout.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I don't think it matters who plays in net. If the team can't correct its ongoing issues--lack of finish, defensive breakdowns, not playing a full 60--then the results we're seeing will continue.

On the plus side, it was nice to see 2 goals on the PP.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack clearly dominated the first ten minutes and the last five. I think they outshot the Dogs 10-1 at one point and 6-0 in ot.

Too bad 2 of 3 shooters missed the net in s/o.

Yes a lot of turnovers led to odd man rushes and goals.

There's a reason the Bulldogs were the best last year. We saw it last night.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Team played well enough to get the second point just came up short to the Bulldogs in the shootout.

Have to give the team credit they kept the game close enough especially playing from behind on the scoreboard in the 2nd frame.

AM showed that he can hold the team in the game with some key saves when he need to. Would've been nice to see the team bury some of those wide open chances in the 1st and 3rd period to pull ahead in the scoreboard but good for the guys to dig deep and get a point the the shootout.
Read this a couple of times but I'm not sure how allowing 6 goals and 2 in the shoot out is holding your team in there? - all is good I like what I see from AM but even he would likely say - not a good outing.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
In defence of MacLean, he DID hold his team in . A number of goals were on second or third chances, and a number were on odd man rushes after defensive zone turnovers.

The goalie is supposed to make the first stop, and for the most part he did just that.

And stonewalled a pretty good shooter in s-o in Kaliev, who scored three for the Dogs.

I'd cut the goalie a bit of slack, its his third OHL start, and all he's done is got 5 of 6 points.

There's lots of areas for improvement, to be sure at all positions.

I'd bet Matos felt lucky to get the extra point as his veteran, championship team also allowed 6 goals and were completely dominated by the Attack in overtime.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Read this a couple of times but I'm not sure how allowing 6 goals and 2 in the shoot out is holding your team in there? - all is good I like what I see from AM but even he would likely say - not a good outing.

To also add to what Millpond quoted, game sheets are almost always misinterpreted information. This happens to be because gamesheets only count player/ goalie stats in even strength play and doesn't count special teams.

Visually in attendance AM kept the team in reach of the 2nd point but came up short in the skills competition of the shootout.

6 tallies a piece isn't something that any club likes to give up to opponents in any game but from the other view every time a tally was given up OS came back to even the score. AM made some huge point blank saves in key times last night to keep the team in striking range of taking the lead but you have to give the Bulldogs some credit they made their chances in the shootout to get the extra point.

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
Win or lose last night. I really enjoyed the game. IMO Owen sound was the best team and out played Hamilton. Glad Sush got the monkey off his back. I thought there was an lot of improvement from last week-end and they seemed to gel. Go Attack Go

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Watched the game. Agree, weak link.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not to hijack your board but I thought I’d add that the Bulldogs are not the same championship team as last year by a long shot. To me they were opportunistic. As far as your goalie, glad he’s off to a good start in his career but it’s very hard to win consistently in this league with rookie goalies. Look at the positioning and over committing on some of the goals. Kind of baffling how Lazer can go from out of the lineup to being on the top line (which is very good). Like many teams, the Attack will need to find more depth scoring. Well there’s my two cents. Finally, where do you guys see the Attack shaping up this year? Looks like they could go either way.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
To also add to what Millpond quoted, game sheets are almost always misinterpreted information. This happens to be because gamesheets only count player/ goalie stats in even strength play and doesn't count special teams.

Visually in attendance AM kept the team in reach of the 2nd point but came up short in the skills competition of the shootout.

6 tallies a piece isn't something that any club likes to give up to opponents in any game but from the other view every time a tally was given up OS came back to even the score. AM made some huge point blank saves in key times last night to keep the team in striking range of taking the lead but you have to give the Bulldogs some credit they made their chances in the shootout to get the extra point.
Just to clarify I did watch the game last night all be it on the telly. I like AM and Guzda as well. Both young tenders and still finding their way. Just suggesting it was not the best outing. If he had let in 7 would that still be a good showing? I'm a junior hockey fan and want to see these kids do well so enough said here. I still stand by an earlier post on this thread that Guzda will be a top tender in this league. Just needs more reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad