Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Caught the game last night at the Bud. It's still early, no need to panic or write off the season at this point, but it is surprising to see some of the same problems from last year happening again this year. E.g., 3rd period collapses (at Guelph, home vs. Ottawa, at London...add the game in Barrie when the team stopped playing in the 2nd). Team isn't putting in full 60-minute efforts, and at times look disinterested out there. Also, the theme of dominating the shot clock but not actually scoring continues (lack of finish); the team alluded to this in the Sun Times article after the loss to Ottawa, and it happened again last night. Same coaching staff back this year along with a large group of returning, veteran players. Time to put these trends to bed. I feel like there's too much talent on the roster for the shaky results we're seeing.

Again, still very early of course, but it's tough watching points slip away. Team actually finished just 6 pts behind Kitchener for the division lead last year despite the bad first half.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The only line that is having any kind of results with regularity is Hancocks .

If I know this, so does every team in the league.

The nights did a great job neutralizing them and just waited till the third and capitalized on their chances .

I had a feeling nursing a one goal lead into the third wouldn't get it done.

Guzda needs more goal support. And near perfect defense until he gets his game under him .

Collectively the boys need to play every shift like it is their last.

It's still early, but as weeks go by, you can't afford to lose ground .

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
The team played a good 40 minutes, where they out chanced the Knights and out played them. We've seen these 3'rd periods before however... the opposition gets a few more scoring opportunities because the Attack's top 6-7 players are dog tired from playing so much earlier in the game.
This is when we need the "big save" to hold the fort and we just haven't been getting it. Last night again, look at the shots, we out shot London 43-25. Against Ottawa, we out shot them 44-25. With a team that is supposed to be battling for a top spot in the Western Conference it can't always be "we need to have support for #1 Guzda". It has to sometimes be "Wow, #1 Guzda was a star tonight and was the reason we won this game". The number one goalie just has to play that well almost every game he starts, it comes with the territory! An older, more experienced goalie here to play a few games now would be something that could settle things down, but we don't have one here.
Let's buckle up for a big test at home tonight vs Oshawa, they scored 7 last night in Hamilton.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Looks like all 7 D are dressed. Lazer sitting, Robinson moves to the top line, Dudas and Sushko split up. McLean making his first start.

Here's hoping for some goal support for McLean and a full 60-minute team effort. Would love to see the team collapse on loose pucks in front of our net the way they did for Lafreniere vs London last post-season; have not seen that sense of urgency from the team yet this year.

Reactions: Millpond

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Are these commentators new to the league? I don't recall them being so.... noticable

A bit of a mixed crew last night. John is the regular color man on the broadcast. The other guy in the booth Ryan? is new, maybe did a few games last year. The host is the host for the Barrie Colts games, he did the Wednesday game as well.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Nice turnaround game . Great to see guys not named Suzuki and Hancock contribute to the scoreboard.

The lines were shuffled and yielded results.

MacLean was brilliant in net, both in his first ever OHL start, as well as generally.

Any time you rob Serron Noel point blank , and he skates away shaking his head, you've done alright.

Let's build on the win. Nick Suzuki is certainly on the oppositions mind, he needs to learn to rise above that, after Montreal he just might be one of junior hockey's most identifiable players.

Cade Robinson the beneficiary of top line minutes got his first goal.

Bryce Caruck his first OHL goal . And Dudas with a brilliant snipe from the icing line found a hole.

Good job, boys !

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
A few observations from last night, as it was my first live game of the season:

- MacLean obviously played terrific. Some ten bell saves. For a first OHL start it doesn't get better. Gave the team a chance to win.

-Caruk's size makes him a tough customer in the crease and it led to his first OHL goal. Likely the first of a few from that spot.

- Was a shame the 4th line saw such little ice for the final two periods, I thought they were effective in all but one shift.

- Alberg specifically showed some signs of life. He's got great speed and as he adjusts and becomes less timid, he's going to generate more chances. Guys like him give me hope the team can absorb the loss of Lazar okay.

- Having Bourque in the lineup and going with 7D paid off really well. The team was much more structured tonight.

-Chibrikov is starting to gain confidence, and even though the puck is still a grenade on his stick, he's already an asset on the Penalty Kill.

-Our top line is basically a cheat code right now, and though Robinson added some nice grit to that trio, Hancock and Suzuki have such chemistry (they literally swap all the time from centre to wing and find each other) that anybody could play with them.

-Sushko looks so snake bitten right now! Hope he can bury one soon and get back to playing like we know he can.

-Russell is looking a lot more confident out there, but one thing I had neglected to notice until last night was his skating... It's totally holding him back right now.

Overall, a solid Saturday night win. If they can repeat that performance next Saturday night against the Knights, I might start to believe in what this team can do.

Reactions: OSA

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Had a chance to view the game again this morning. A lot of great points in the above posts. It's only one game but it may look like this forward group can actually score more than a couple of goals per game when utilized properly. With Roberts and Doherty out of the line up last night (both LW) we may have enough at that position moving forward that management can feel confident moving #8 for a couple of draft picks. Last night showed that anyone playing along side #16 and #37 can benefit and add to the strengths that they provide in the offensive zone of the rink.
The D group looked much more complete as a unit with #17 in the line up. They limited Oshawa's quality scoring chances for sure. Congrats to #30 MacLean on his first OHL win! A couple of helpful saves by the bars behind him but a few lucky breaks is just what this team needed after that London game. Guelph and London again next week, enjoy last nights win and get things ready for a big weekend ahead!

Reactions: Millpond

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Good to see a W after the loss in London. Good rebound game. Avoiding consecutive L's is always key.

Nice to see Robinson on the top line amd producing. He looked strong in front of the net on that goal. I've been wanting to see him on the top line since the playoffs last year. I think he's the most Gadj-like forward we have (size, strength, decent hands) and complements #37 and #16 well.

Nice goal by Caruk. That size is why he's on the roster and not Moro. He gives the team something they didn't have last year, not since Schmalz I think. The balanced scoring was great for sure.

Didn't see the game, but was wondering how the Attack looked in the 2nd and 3rd. Noticed all the team's goals came in the 1st, while the shots dropped way off in the 2nd and were also outshot in the 3rd.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Wondering if DD will be getting a call real soon from North Bay concerning #8 Lazerchuck?
The Battalion TV guys said yesterday that OA/#16 Potts was no longer on the team roster.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Lazer for Connor Robert's and picks..... Flint needs an OA and future help.

Not very likely but we can dream. Lol

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Looks like the Attack have one less trading partner for either OA player this season!
Sarnia Sting have traded #2 Calvas to the Battalion for 2 draft picks.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Looks like the Attack have one less trading partner for either OA player this season!
Sarnia Sting have traded #2 Calvas to the Battalion for 2 draft picks.
Well they only paid a 5th and a 6th... Im thinking that wouldnt quite be enough for lazer or Borque so oh well Niagara might be the only option unless a team is looking for an upgrade. I think at this point we have given Stan enough discounts lol

Last edited:

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Well they only paid a 5th and a 6th... Im thinking that wouldnt quite be enough for lazer or Borque so oh well Niagara might be the only option unless a team is looking for an upgrade. I think at this point we have given Stan enough discounts lol

What do you think #8 and or #17 are worth?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Who do you think gets the start in Guelph on Friday ?

The Attack have yet to beat a divisional rival, this weekend could go a long way to changing that . Gotta play like last Saturday against Oshawa.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I hope Bourque is in I have made my final choice. It's tough but we need the D more,remember defence wins championships not that we are going to but I feel defence is the best way to go.

Reactions: OHL insideout

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I hope Bourque is in I have made my final choice. It's tough but we need the D more,remember defence wins championships not that we are going to but I feel defence is the best way to go.

As have I.

Alan is valuable up front but honestly, he's replaceable at the deadline if DD see's fit.

But with questions in net and the fact we are very young in goal, I'd rather have a deep defence and figure the offense out as the season goes.

Reactions: OHL insideout

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I think part of what will hinge who we deal away will be when and if Zach Roberts returns to the lineup.. thats just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad