Ovi’s Questionable Hit on Pysyk

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think we should suspend players for any physical contact just to be safe. Any hit could wind up like this so it's best to just nip any potential for injury in the bud. It's far too easy to end up breezing against someone's head considering how fast the game is played and how little control they have over what the other person is doing. Even a check to the body could easily end up clipping the head on the follow through as was the case here

Plus if Wilson did this hit it would be like 800 games

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
borderline play that resulted in a concussion. NHL just established this week that those kind of plays are a suspension.

Well then we should ban all hitting, because you dont need your head hit to have a concussion, just a fast sudden change in direction.

Source: 1 of my concussions came from a chest to chest hit causing me to retire from competitive hockey and not play again for 3 years.

TL;DR you dont have to hit your head to get a concussion

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, it was probably illegal due to the fact that Ovi seems to lift up his shoulder to make the hit in a situation where that wasn't necessary. But no, that doesn't mean it's a suspension. The rule book doesn't in any way suggest that every violation of Rule 48 is a suspension.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
borderline play that resulted in a concussion. NHL just established this week that those kind of plays are a suspension.

You think this is remotely similar to the Matheson boarding and chokeslam?

Oh god the sunbelt fan memes are true hahaha

Reactions: Helistin

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Watching the April 30th video on rule 48.1 and actually understanding it should be mandatory for posting in these.
A thousand times this.

Before anyone is allowed to post in a thread about a hit that has head contact, they should carefully read Rule 48.1.

Reactions: Spazkat

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Ovi is one of the faces of the league, basking in the afterglow of his Cup season. Pysyk's a nobody.

If this is Wilson rattling McDavid's brains, the league, and most of you, would likely be telling a much different story.

Consistency is too much to expect.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Again, I'm not even saying whether or not these hits should be allowed in the NHL. The problem is that hits like this have in the past resulted in a suspension, but Ovi is a superstar so different rules apply

You are making things up , they haven't. Also Ovi has been suspended before.

Comparable hit(but with more speed and force) to think about was Hornqvist on McAvoy. No suspension.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
If anyone on here thinks this hit is nothing, but that Tom Wilson's suspension was warranted, then the hypocracy is real. Do I think this hit is bad? No. But in the trend of suspending players (Wilson, Matheson) on plays that are at most a 2 minute roughing minor, Ovi should be suspended. Upward motion, initial contact to the head. Thats easily 2-3 games with this DOPS. It wont happen though because of the league's double standard with star players.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If anyone on here thinks this hit is nothing, but that Tom Wilson's suspension was warranted, then the hypocracy is real. Do I think this hit is bad? No. But in the trend of suspending players (Wilson, Matheson) on plays that are at most a 2 minute roughing minor, Ovi should be suspended. Upward motion, initial contact to the head. Thats easily 2-3 games with this DOPS. It wont happen though because of the league's double standard with star players.
There's no hypocrisy, I just have an understanding of rule 48.1.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Ovi used to charge into 50% of his hits. This one seems fine to me, especially the first angle. Initial contact to body, followed by him grazing the head.

Reactions: billybudd

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Wilson's line went straight through the other player's chin, exerting little force on the other player's body. It's the Cooke/Savard hit half a decade after everybody knew you can't do that any more.

Ovechkin's line is straight through the other guy's chest. Head's in the way, but that's not what he's going for.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ovie has a history of dangerous hits but he's been pretty clean for the better part of a decade.

We'll see if the league has the stones to suspend him for more than 1 game.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Ovie has a history of dangerous hits but he's been pretty clean for the better part of a decade.

We'll see if the league has the stones to suspend him for more than 1 game.
I am sorry, but what exactly should he be suspended for?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I would rather have these hits in the league cause I think the nhl and nfl is getting too soft. But this is shoulder to head with upward movement so it should be a suspension. But it’s ovi on pysyk so it won’t be. Either way pretty sad it’s come to this

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He went through the body so hard to be suspended. I do have an issue with him rising up through the hit. Give him a warning about that.

I’d give it a penalty for rising up and hitting the head but the refs can miss things depending on speed and their positioning.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Hockey players in here, do you normally move into a hit you’re making hunched over with your head forward and shoulder to your side away from the player you end up hitting, maybe even with an arm/stick stretched out looking another way?

Or, upon seeing an opponent a few feet away, might you erect your self more and turn you body some such that your shoulder is towards the other player?

I’m really curious now

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I won’t ask if there will be any supplementary discipline - there’s just no way the league will suspend him - but should there be? Is Boughner right in saying it should at least be reviewed? If Tom Wilson had made this exact same hit...

I'm not going to spend time analyzing the hit, but you may be correct here.

Remember these?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Questionable, seriously? Game will soon turn into soccer

Ridiculous. Of course there's nothing wrong with that hit. BTW, as someone who played hockey and soccer, my guess is you wouldn't last 45 minutes on a footie pitch; you clearly don't understand the game.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Why is this even a thread??

Where's the thread about that pos Petrovic and his attack on Oshie?? Fortunately that sob missed his intention.
It’s a thread because it involves a superstar delivering what is undeniably a hit to the head, with the aim of discussion around whether or not it is suspension-worthy and why the league would never hand one down.

I hope that answered your question. And, by the way, feel free to make one on “that pos Petrovic and his attack on Oshie.” Pretty catchy title TBH.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00