Ovi’s Questionable Hit on Pysyk

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I’d say it’s pretty obvious, dude. The poin is that the NHL doesn’t hold its superstars to the same standards to which it holds the rest of the league.

"Stuff" happens every game. When Sid or Ovi does it, it's GIF time and let roll the spittal fly and finger pointing commence. Here's a scoop: When "mortals" do this stuff, it's just that no one cares. Dude.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
read the rest of the rule. "unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward"

Ovi extends upwards towards Pysyk's head before ever making contact.
he purposefully lifted his shoulder into his head and most definitely did not attempt to hit square through the body.

Again, I'm not even saying whether or not these hits should be allowed in the NHL. The problem is that hits like this have in the past resulted in a suspension, but Ovi is a superstar so different rules apply

Not sure what you guys are referring to. The picture you posted to prove is was a headshot clearly shows him making full body contact prior to the shoulder contacting Pysyk's head.

The shoulder comes up a touch as they come together, because that's what you do when you brace for a hit.... head ducks down a bit, shoulders come up a bit to protect your own head/neck during the collision.

This whole thing is making a mountain out of a molehill because fans are all bitter about the Matheson suspension.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hockey players in here, do you normally move into a hit you’re making hunched over with your head forward and shoulder to your side away from the player you end up hitting, maybe even with an arm/stick stretched out looking another way?

Or, upon seeing an opponent a few feet away, might you erect your self more and turn you body some such that your shoulder is towards the other player?

I’m really curious now

Apparently you're supposed to hunch down and put yourself in a position where you're more likely to injure yourself than your opponent. That's what a bunch of people here unironically believe. I'm sure they've played tons of hockey before coming to that conclusion

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Apparently you're supposed to hunch down and put yourself in a position where you're more likely to injure yourself than your opponent. That's what a bunch of people here unironically believe. I'm sure they've played tons of hockey before coming to that conclusion
Seriously. Is Ovi supposed to collide literally head to head with Pysyk, or maybe aim his head for Pysyk’s shoulder.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It’s a thread because it involves a superstar delivering what is undeniably a hit to the head

If you took the time to familiarize yourself with the rules you would know that not all hits that make contact with the head are illegal.

Now Rule 48.1 declares an illegal check to the head as "a hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable."

"avoidable" hit will be determined based upon the following criteria:​

First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent's body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

Second, whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

Third, whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If you took the time to familiarize yourself with the rules you would know that not all hits that make contact with the head are illegal.

Now Rule 48.1 declares an illegal check to the head as "a hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable."

"avoidable" hit will be determined based upon the following criteria:​

First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent's body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

Second, whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

Third, whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.
Hence why I cast the thread as a discussion of if it was a suspension-worthy hit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just saying he may be right that there's no way he'll be suspended because he's a face of the NHL

He was already suspended while a face of the nhl. Realistically speaking they can't cut Of slack while at the same moment throw Wilson under the bus. If Ov isn't charged its because the havent got enough to suspend him

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Are you serious? He pushes him in the chest. Ridiculous if ANYONE thinks this is a dirty hit. If you do, please stop watching hockey and go enjoy curling or lawn bowling.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Lol at the people who think Ovechkin is untouchable in case of suspensions.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The part that looks bad is that Ovechkin is crouched and rises up into the hit. He could have easily stayed a little lower and avoided any possibility of head contact. Instead he rises into the head. Not the worst hit I've seen but looks really unnecessary to hit the way he did. I didn't like the hit. Hitting him was fine though. He had another great hit in that game and there was nothing wrong with it as he went completely body to body.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah in the chest lmao. God I swear some people walk around blind.
I agree. A few of them seem to be specific Panthers fans in this thread.

The part that looks bad is that Ovechkin is crouched and rises up into the hit. He could have easily stayed a little lower and avoided any possibility of head contact. Instead he rises into the head. Not the worst hit I've seen but looks really unnecessary to hit the way he did. I didn't like the hit. Hitting him was fine though. He had another great hit in that game and there was nothing wrong with it as he went completely body to body.
He was playing the puck and then straightened up into the hit. It's not like he went full Superman. Both hits were perfect, legal and thunderous.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I agree. A few of them seem to be specific Panthers fans in this thread.

He was playing the puck and then straightened up into the hit. It's not like he went full Superman. Both hits were perfect, legal and thunderous.
Headshots aren’t legal but thanks for your useless contribution.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Ovechkin is very dirty player there's no questioning that.. Agressive brute who doesnt care about safety of opponents. Violent agressive beast.

Reactions: Calgarybrutalist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad