Ovi’s Questionable Hit on Pysyk

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Best link to video I could find:

It’s clear that the principle and primary point of contact is nothing but head, and Ovi clearly makes an upwards motion througout initiating contact with considerable velocity.

While his hit on Barkov earlier in the game was exemplary for proper form - hard, shoulder to shoulder, and a clean forward motion - this seems a textbook illegal hit.

I won’t ask if there will be any supplementary discipline - there’s just no way the league will suspend him - but should there be? Is Boughner right in saying it should at least be reviewed? If Tom Wilson had made this exact same hit...

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Just+look+at+all+this+butt+hurt+_430bcfe3d88c029acca9670cdf0b4961.png

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It’s clear that the principle and primary point of contact is nothing but head, and Ovi clearly makes an upwards motion througout initiating contact with considerable velocity.

It's not clear to me that the principal point of contact is the head. But it sure *seems* to be the head. I wouldn't be shocked if the NHL said it is not, though.

What's more damning to me though is that cowardly shoulder motion that's clearly aiming for the head. This is clearly an attempt to injure by Ovechkin, who is way too good and experienced a player to plead he didn't know what he was doing.

Boughner is right to speak up and hope the league looks into it. But I'm not sure anything will be done about it. Personally, I'd give him 2 games because it's a dirtbag move.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
obvious hit to the head. if the player is concussed, then the way things are going it's a 3 gamer for Ovi. If not, then a facetime call from the league with a Bad Ovi finger shake gest followed by a don't do that again warning.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Can
Why even bother to keep your head up in today`s NHL. Just look at the puck whole time you play with it. That way u will keep your head down and opponent won't try to hit you because it's too risky.
future advice to young players will be stay looking down... don’t keep your head up too long, just glance and see where you’re going before you get caught with your head up.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It's not clear to me that the principal point of contact is the head. But it sure *seems* to be the head. I wouldn't be shocked if the NHL said it is not, though.

What's more damning to me though is that cowardly shoulder motion that's clearly aiming for the head. This is clearly an attempt to injure by Ovechkin, who is way too good and experienced a player to plead he didn't know what he was doing.

Boughner is right to speak up and hope the league looks into it. But I'm not sure anything will be done about it. Personally, I'd give him 2 games because it's a dirtbag move.
There’s a difference between the hitter having leaned down himself and moving up to better hitting position, and a player who’s already up and ready who then stretches or jump putting his shoulder beyond where it should be for a hit.

Ovi was leaning before that hit because he was inititially playing the puck, then very quickly moved into better hitting position so that he’s not running head first into his opponent.

This hit is nothing in terms of “dirtiness”

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Is that really a questionable hit?

Maybe I'm getting old, but that seems like a pretty normal hit.

If we are going to question hits like this maybe they should just ban all open ice hits.

The NHL has suspended players for more innocent looking hits than that.
The NHL is in a tough position that pressures them to get rid of hits to the head so that they're less liable for players suffering from long term head injuries as they get older.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

obvious hit to the head. if the player is concussed, then the way things are going it's a 3 gamer for Ovi. If not, then a facetime call from the league with a Bad Ovi finger shake gest followed by a don't do that again warning.

Holy mother! Ovechkin even slowed up to avoid really hitting that player (who was bent over slightly) to the point he barely touched him.

I don't understand why this would be a thread or a thought in someones head that that was a "bad" hit. What is happening to hockey fans?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
YES! I knew when I checked the good ole HFboards there would be a thread about this hit.

This league is turning into those weird kids in grade school whom told on every one, for everything. Coaches preaching for the league to look at every hit. Every big hit, someone posting about how head contact was involved and calling for 27 game suspensions. Pathetic really.

I suggest mods make a sticky, "Suspension worthy hits" so the rest of us don't need to put up with the bullshit and the complainers have a place to complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad