Ovi’s Questionable Hit on Pysyk

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Fine him, if that makes people happy. We are on the fast track to a rub out league. You can crack down on predatory hits but people need to remember that hockey is a tough game and should stay that way

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedards Dad

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ovi’s lead foot comes off the ice before making contact with pysyk which is not textbook.

Sure looks like shoulder to chin here.

While it looks like the shoulder is headed towards the chin, the entire rest of Ovi's body/arm is already hitting solidly through the body of Pysyk. This is the very definition of incidental contact (head is neither the primary, nor the principal point of contact). Perfectly legal

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
While it looks like the shoulder is headed towards the chin, the entire rest of Ovi's body/arm is already hitting solidly through the body of Pysyk. This is the very definition of incidental contact (head is neither the primary, nor the principal point of contact). Perfectly legal
Shoulder pad directly making contact with pysyk’s face, calls it incidental. Wat?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm pretty sure this is about people loving Ovi/star player on a non star player. Now I'm not saying take out the hit, but just watch when a Pysyk like player does that to an Ovi like star player, and watch the outrage that erupts. I'm just saying be consistent. Or at least don't specifically make a point to talk about it being a non illegal hit, and then when another carbon copy hit happens, due to the people involved, everyone decides to get up in arms.

Reactions: pantherbot

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Shoulder pad directly making contact with pysyk’s face, calls it incidental. Wat?

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an
opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and
such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.
In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was
avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be
considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the
opponent’s body and the head was not "picked"
as a result of poor
timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward

For it to be an illegal check to the head, the head would have needed to be the main point of contact. The photo in the post I quoted showed that this hit was, in fact, squarely through the body prior to any head contact being made (ie: incidental).

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
My preference is that hits like this are perfectly normal in the NHL, but that's not what is being debated here. It should be about consistency when it comes to what is or is not suspension worthy, and there are been other similar plays to this that resulted in a suspension. There was a hit later on Barkov that Ovi made, just leveled Barkov, and we were all fine with that being a clean hit.

This kind of hit was allowed in the NHL a couple years ago, and to be honest I would have been fine if the rules didn't change. I like hard hitting hockey and players should also be responsible for their own safety. But the problem right now is that the league sometimes suspends players for hits like this, but sometimes not.

The formula for suspension decisions seems to go like the chart from below...and that's the problem.

4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
For it to be an illegal check to the head, the head would have needed to be the main point of contact. The photo in the post I quoted showed that this hit was, in fact, squarely through the body prior to any head contact being made (ie: incidental).

he purposefully lifted his shoulder into his head and most definitely did not attempt to hit square through the body.

Again, I'm not even saying whether or not these hits should be allowed in the NHL. The problem is that hits like this have in the past resulted in a suspension, but Ovi is a superstar so different rules apply

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
read the rest of the rule. "unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward"

Ovi extends upwards towards Pysyk's head before ever making contact.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
click bait. expected some kind of crazy headshot but received a half assed check that was far from dangerous.
borderline play that resulted in a concussion. NHL just established this week that those kind of plays are a suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00