Ovi’s Questionable Hit on Pysyk

RiskyBryzness21

Mar 23, 2017
So two examples in recent years with an injury as an aftermath isn't enough...I see. Caps fans need more.

I see you guys have a hard time accepting that your players throw a lot of bad hits

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
So two examples in recent years with an injury as an aftermath isn't enough...I see. Caps fans need more.

I see you guys have a hard time accepting that your players throw a lot of bad hits
It might blow your mind, but players get injured sometimes even when the hits aren't bad.

Also, tell me indepth details about the Ghost injury that Ovechkin caused, please.

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

Walk us through this hit as to how it’s suspension worthy. Not just us Caps fans, but the other fans as well who don’t lose their shit over any physical contact.

You can’t have a contact sport and not expect the head to get touched sometime or not. A player can reasonably expect to make a clean hit, then accidentally touch the head some. This hit isn’t close to any of the hits Wilson has. It wasn’t even premeditated (to even make contact)
He doesn’t jump, he doesn’t extend up higher than he generally does making hits at his height. This isn’t even vintage Ovi.

Slow motion doesn’t do this hit justice. It was a very fast play from when Ovi is fighting through defenders and poking for the puck, leaning over to do so, and when he realizes he’s gonna collide with this guy and should straighten himself out to avoid awkwardly slamming his own head, neck and chest into this player.

It’s an innocent enough hit attempt in fast motion that unfortunately caught some of the head. This is one of those “shit happens” plays.
It wasn’t dirty and it wasn’t even a particularly reckless play where he came in from a distance looking to hit and had the whole time to decide what to do...

Players shouldn’t be punished automatically for any accidental head contact. If the league is going to take that kind of zero-tolerance stance on concussions, then you need to simply remove hitting.

———————
Maybe I’m wrong, but tell me how. Simply stating it’s bad and that fans defending are wrong, without backing it up, adds nothing to these conversations.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
young Ovi's favourite player as a child was Bure
Bure was a Vancouver Canuck
Ovi watched Canucks

Pysyk is a Panthers dmen
Matheson is a Panthers dmen
Matheson took out Pettersson

Ovie is canuk fan

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I can't help but laugh at the "sky is falling" crowd.

I didn't think the hit was too bad. Higher than I'd prefer, and in my perfect hockey world the player would take more precaution to avoid any contact with the head while still being able to deliver a solid body check.

However, the "OMG WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING" reactions to someone offering a different opinion on a hit, thinking it's worse than you do, are ridiculous.

leery

Apr 8, 2018
Ridiculous. Of course there's nothing wrong with that hit. BTW, as someone who played hockey and soccer, my guess is you wouldn't last 45 minutes on a footie pitch; you clearly don't understand the game.

Facts:

1. Clean hit

2. Modern football is hypocritical game with a bunch of simulations

3. You talk about a man you dont know and have never seen

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ovi projecting himself upward into an opponent and leading-following through with the elbow/shoulder is nothing new.

The farthest the league looked into this hit was the number and nameplate. Anyone who thinks that they would suspend a player like Ovechkin/Crosby/McDavid/etc. for something that wasn't undeniably and blatantly obvious is kidding themselves.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Ovi projecting himself upward into an opponent and leading-following through with the elbow/shoulder is nothing new.

The farthest the league looked into this hit was the number and nameplate. Anyone who thinks that they would suspend a player like Ovechkin/Crosby/McDavid/etc. for something that wasn't undeniably and blatantly obvious is kidding themselves.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

He “projected himself upward” from a hunched position to his normal height, and he did so in very brief time another play which ended up with him right in front of Pysyk and moving towards him while leaning.

Do you want to suspend players for not taking more time to aim their shot when it hits another player in the face?
Or for fighting...

And the league has absolutely allowed less important players to go when it’s a close call, as much as any players. This is mostly a PR/lawsuit defense. If a hit isn’t reasonably defensible, THEN they’ll punish the player for it. They know how hitting works, contact to the head can happen innocently, and *before anybody realizes it’s going to happen* in a quick play.

——————-

At worst, this hit is a little in the grey area. And hockey media types of course aren’t all knowing gods, but they know their stuff, and when basically nobody at all is talking about this hit afterward (except overzealous two-hand touch advocates on HF), it’s a safe bet there’s nothing wrong with the hit.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
He “projected himself upward” from a hunched position to his normal height, and he did so in very brief time another play which ended up with him right in front of Pysyk and moving towards him while leaning.

Do you want to suspend players for not taking more time to aim their shot when it hits another player in the face?
Or for fighting...

And the league has absolutely allowed less important players to go when it’s a close call, as much as any players. This is mostly a PR/lawsuit defense. If a hit isn’t reasonably defensible, THEN they’ll punish the player for it. They know how hitting works, contact to the head can happen innocently, and *before anybody realizes it’s going to happen* in a quick play.

——————-

At worst, this hit is a little in the grey area. And hockey media types of course aren’t all knowing gods, but they know their stuff, and when basically nobody at all is talking about this hit afterward (except overzealous two-hand touch advocates on HF), it’s a safe bet there’s nothing wrong with the hit.
Uhh, yeah... that's kind of how it works... How could you project yourself upward while standing upright? Ovi has gotten away with tons of hits like this (and sometimes worse). He could have easily kept his center of gravity low, hit Pysyk in the chest, and drove through him. Instead he chose to lead with his shoulder up into Pysyk's head.

Oh come on now, look through the lists of suspensions over the last couple of years. Are you really going to tell me that Brad Marchand is the only superstar player that has done anything suspension-worthy over the last few seasons?

Ovi loves to do this all the time. I'm not saying he should be suspended for it, but I'm saying that they're not going to look at it with as much scrutiny as they would if it were some down the liner. It's a bad look for the NHL to suspend a superstar like Ovechkin. If you really think that Superstar players get the same scrutiny as everyone else then you're just naive. As a Penguins fan I will readily admit that all three of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang have gotten away with shit that would have gotten a down-the-liner smacked with at least a fine, if not suspensions.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
he doesnt need to extend upwards through the hit like that but its certainly not enough to warrant any type of disciplinary action.

RiskyBryzness21

Mar 23, 2017
It might blow your mind, but players get injured sometimes even when the hits aren't bad.

Also, tell me indepth details about the Ghost injury that Ovechkin caused, please.
LOL concussions aren't happening after "good" hits

I don't know if Gostisbehere had a serious injury, but Ovechkin hit him knee-on-knee

You can live in your state of denial as long as you want. It doesn't change the fact that Ovechkin's been an offender of bad, questionable, predatory hits on many occasions over the last decade

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Perfectly fine hit! Man people need to remember this is CONTACT PRO HOCKEY, not flag hockey or nerf hockey! With all the whining and moaning we are getting step by step closer to hits on purpose being removed from the game. Then it will only be accidental contact that will be the "hits"! Not even joking about this, every single halfway decent hit, has a thread and bellyaching ad nausea m accompanying it.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This is the NHL not the NRL!!! If you people want to watch Ringette then go watch it!!! Nothing at all wrong with the hit. Whats wrong is people expect NOT to get hit any more.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

I don't know if Gostisbehere had a serious injury, but Ovechkin hit him knee-on-knee

You can live in your state of denial as long as you want. It doesn't change the fact that Ovechkin's been an offender of bad, questionable, predatory hits on many occasions over the last decade
You expect people to take you seriously after that first sentence? Ok.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i have no problem with borderline hits.... it makes the game a bit more spicy (that ovi hit was not even borderline)

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC

Putting "lol" in all caps doesn't make what you're saying any less false.

Nice backpedaling on the Ghost "hit".

It's not denial, it's the fact that pretty much everything you're posting is bullshit. Ovechkin's had a lot of bad hits in his career, but the two you tried to use as evidence that he's still some sort of dirty, dirty monster are not among them. One of them wasn't even a hit.

You live in the past and it makes me a little sad for you.

Reactions: Askel

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why even bother to keep your head up in today`s NHL. Just look at the puck whole time you play with it. That way u will keep your head down and opponent won't try to hit you because it's too risky.
People mostly had their heads down when passing since way back. That's nothing new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad