Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Susannah

Dec 3, 2019
It is quite interesting that the Capitals play the Penguins in two plus weeks. I doubt Pittsburgh will congratulate Ovechkin if he passes Lemieux there. Then again, the Capitals did classy thing for the victims in Pittsburgh couple years ago so you never know.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
It is quite interesting that the Capitals play the Penguins in two plus weeks. I doubt Pittsburgh will congratulate Ovechkin if he passes Lemieux there. Then again, the Capitals did classy thing for the victims in Pittsburgh couple years ago so you never know.
That game is in Washington. Hopefully Lemieux is in attendance.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I remember his hype pre 2006 season, it was after the lockout and people were just excited to have hockey back, but I didn't realize he would be such a goal scoring force, being a huge fan of Bure as a kid I hoped he would be as good as Bure.

I used to visit a site called Thunderpuck and I remember all the hype surrounding OV, but Crosby had a higher hype (rightfully so)

I also remember "the goal" he scored against the yotes.

Crazy that's so long ago

I was able to make it to his first practice. He was passing players skating backwards that were skating forward. His shot was pretty evident from the start as well.

Yeah, elite playmaking has zero influence on getting the puck into the net.

gonna disagree with that. Nobody expects anything but a shot from Ovy. Gretzky or Lemieux? Guess.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Ovi chasing Gretzky is (and has been for a couple years) the most exciting story in hockey.

Gretzky’s scoring records have always looked so ridiculous that even to be as close as Ovi is, is actually amazing. The fact that he has an outside chance to beat it? It’s a pleasure to have been alive to watch them both.

I’m pulling for The Great 8!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Pass Jagr and i will consider him the greatest goal scorer ever. Accounting for averages in the 80's and how much easier it was to score. A few more seasons with 40+ and hes got the title whether he passes Wayne for not, hes probably the greatest sniper in NHL history.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's in 6 games, they have 5 games before that and that Pens game is in Washington, why would the Pens players stop to congratulate Ovechkin for passing Mario to be in 10th place all time?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pass Jagr and i will consider him the greatest goal scorer ever. Accounting for averages in the 80's and how much easier it was to score. A few more seasons with 40+ and hes got the title whether he passes Wayne for not, hes probably the greatest sniper in NHL history.

Why would he need to pass Jagr?

He is already considered by many, including myself, as the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Why would he need to pass Jagr?

He is already considered by many, including myself, as the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Because sitting as number 3 behind Gretzky and Howe for goals will solidify his position even more. Jagr played a big chunk of hockey in the dead puck era and had monster offensive seasons. So the argument about goal scoring on Wayne's end being much easier in the 80's does not hold up as much when you compare it to someone like Jagr. Also considering Jagr took 3 years off from NHL hockey and still has as many goals as he does is impressive. This is the guy Ovie needs to chase and beat. the 801 by Howe will be a tough ask for him to catch but its possible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Because sitting as number 3 behind Gretzky and Howe for goals will solidify his position even more. Jagr played a big chunk of hockey in the dead puck era and had monster offensive seasons. So the argument about goal scoring on Wayne's end being much easier in the 80's does not hold up as much when you compare it to someone like Jagr. Also considering Jagr took 3 years off from NHL hockey and still has as many goals as he does is impressive. This is the guy Ovie needs to chase and beat. the 801 by Howe will be a tough ask for him to catch but its possible.

I love Jagr as a player overall and think that he gets under rated at times but seriously does anyone really even consider him as one of the best 10 goal scorers of all time?

I mean there is Howe, Gretzky, Mario, both Hulls, Richard, Bossy and that's just 06 era and since.

Surely there might be a top 10 goal scorer of all time before 1945?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
the 801 by Howe will be a tough ask for him to catch but its possible.

Will it though? Assuming he finishes this season with 700 goals (which is low considering he is at 686 now). But let's use nice easy round numbers. That means he needs roughly 100 goals to pass Gordie. Ovi hasnt scored under 35 goals in like 7 years (when he scored 32). So even using using that number, that's still only 3 seasons to get 96 goals .. then a few games the next season to get the remaining 5.

The reality is that he likely hits 801 at the end of the 21/22 season. Unless Ovi's game takes the most ridiculous nose dive EVER, it's a sure thing he passes Howe at this point.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I love Jagr as a player overall and think that he gets under rated at times but seriously does anyone really even consider him as one of the best 10 goal scorers of all time?

I mean there is Howe, Gretzky, Mario, both Hulls, Richard, Bossy and that's just 06 era and since.

Surely there might be a top 10 goal scorer of all time before 1945?

I think there are nine NHL players who are clearly, without question, better goal scorers than Jagr. In chronological order you'd have Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Mike Bossy Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Brett Hull, and Jaromir Jagr.

Jagr has a solid case for 10th all-time - but so do a lot of others. Still ranking him the 10th greatest goal-scorer all-time isn't unreasonable (even if it's far from a consensus).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think there are nine NHL players who are clearly, without question, better goal scorers than Jagr. In chronological order you'd have Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Mike Bossy Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Brett Hull, and Jaromir Jagr.

Jagr has a solid case for 10th all-time - but so do a lot of others. Still ranking him the 10th greatest goal-scorer all-time isn't unreasonable (even if it's far from a consensus).

I know that you said NHL players but I would consider Bill Cook and perhaps even Nels stewart, Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone to be "better" goal scorers than Phil Esposito.

But then again I do think that Phil's career bump was due more to the Bobby Orr affect than some others around these parts.

Heck even among contemporary players I think Ilya Kovalchuk Selanne and Bure are "better" goal scorers than Jagr.

Peter Bondra might be as well.

But it's a hard call as Jagr was a very complete offensive player and wasn't a pure goal scorer like some of the others mentioned.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I know that you said NHL players but I would consider Bill Cook and perhaps even Nels stewart, Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone to be "better" goal scorers than Phil Esposito.

But then again I do think that Phil's career bump was due more to the Bobby Orr affect than some others around these parts.

Heck even among contemporary players I think Ilya Kovalchuk Selanne and Bure are "better" goal scorers than Jagr.

Peter Bondra might be as well.

But it's a hard call as Jagr was a very complete offensive player and wasn't a pure goal scorer like some of the others mentioned.

Well you would not call Gretzky a pure goal scorer either as he was a facilitator, yet here we are. Doesn't matter how its done, the numbers speak for themselves in Jagr's case.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well you would not call Gretzky a pure goal scorer either as he was a facilitator, yet here we are. Doesn't matter how its done, the numbers speak for themselves in Jagr's case.

What numbers?

8 times in the top 10 in goals with finishes of 2,2,2,2,3,4,6 and 9th doesn't scream 10 10 goal scorer of all time to me.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Randyne

May 20, 2012
I wonder why they have Cooney Welland up there but not Joe Malone. 44 goals in 20 games in 1917-1918
In 1917-18 league GPG was 4.75, in 1929-30 (Welland record) league GPG was 2.79.

Adjusted Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
We will use Gordie Howe's 1952-53 season as an example, a season in which Howe scored a career-high 49 goals.
The first step in this process is to calculate a schedule adjustment for each player. In order to do this, divide 82 by the number of scheduled games per team. In 1952-53 the NHL played a 70-game schedule, so the schedule adjustment is 82 / 70 = 1.17.
The roster size adjustment is computed by dividing the maximum roster size for the season in question by 18. Teams were allowed to carry a maximum of 16 skaters at home and 15 skaters on the road during the 1952-53 season, so the roster size adjustment is 15.5 / 18 = 0.86.
Next calculate the era adjustment, which we will do by dividing 6 by the league average goals per game without the player in question. In 1952-53 a total of 1006 goals were scored in 210 games. Without Howe this works out to (1006 - 49) / 210 = 4.56 goals per game, so our era adjustment is 6 / 4.56 = 1.32.
Finally, we put everything together. Take the player's actual goals and multiply by the adjustments we computed above. For Howe in 1952-53 this is 49 * 1.17 * 0.86 * 1.32 = 65 adjusted goals.

Reactions: Flamesss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad