Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It sucks but that's the nature of the beast. Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, etc all lost a ton of games/points to injuries and illness. This is one of the things that makes Ovy a special player on it's own. As physical a game he plays and has only missed 29 games to date an not even all of those were to injury.

I'd add Bure to that list to. He lost both prime years and pretty much his entire peak to injuries. So many players that are still legends and we can only speculate on what could have been.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
forgive me if I am not 100% accurate on numbers, ..you can easily look it up. But there were years the Rocket Richard was handed out to guys with only 50 goals. there may have been a sub 50 goal season. Did Jamie Benn not win the scoring title one year with 86 total points (If 88, my apologizes).

Correct that way, and you would realize OVI may have had a good 20% more goals..Take his totals and add 20%. he has 686 at 20% you are at 823. Gretz 894..I mean awfully close.

He is in the group with Hull, Wayne, Mario, Rocket Richard and Howe for GOAT. Each player has a pretty good claim. That OV doesn't have a peak season that contends for best ever holds him back from being the GOAT that his titles and career totals may place him.

I will always differentiate him from Wayne and Mario who were all around offensive GOATS, not just goalscorers.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
9 more goals and he’s at #8 all time. Crazy.

So grateful to have watched him play his whole career. My favourite player ever since he broke into the league. Legend.

Reactions: Frosty415

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If I was better at photoshop I'd make that grim reaper meme going from door to door, but with everyone ahead of Ovy's face on the doors, with Ovy as the reaper.

Ovechkin has been great, but his goals per game average is considerably higher due to being young. Gotta remember Gretzkywasn't scoring at a high pace near the end. He scored 9 goals his final year which in turn made him realize it was time to hang it up

Gretzky was also more of a passer.

I know its funny to say given he was amazing at scoring goals, but remember - if you take away all 894 of his goals, he would still be the leading scorer in NHL history based on assists alone.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
He is in the group with Hull, Wayne, Mario, Rocket Richard and Howe for GOAT. Each player has a pretty good claim. That OV doesn't have a peak season that contends for best ever holds him back from being the GOAT that his titles and career totals may place him.

I will always differentiate him from Wayne and Mario who were all around offensive GOATS, not just goalscorers.

there, I agree. No one season is significant. But the body of work.. So, yes no GOAT, because no single season was AWE..that I agree. And yes, he is not exactly an assist machine

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The guy is great. In today's game with scoring lower than the 80's and early 90's. You can argue he is the greatest goal scorer ever.

In 2000-2001 at the age of 35, having last played when he was 31, Mario Lemieux came out of retirement and scored 35 goals in 43 games.

35 goals in 43 games at age 35 coming out of retirement with the league g/pg average at 2.75.

Ovechkin has 28 in 47 at age 34 with the g/pg average at 3.07

Mario is the best.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
In 2000-2001 at the age of 35, having last played when he was 31, Mario Lemieux came out of retirement and scored 35 goals in 43 games.

35 goals in 43 games at age 35 coming out of retirement with the league g/pg average at 2.75.

Mario is the best.
I remember that, and it was pretty insane. After three years without the game. Fair enough there was a lot of PP involved, because he wasn't fast that's for sure.

But yeah, I'd pick Mario if I needed a goal scorer in his prime.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019

Mario is the best.

I can be argumentative and so let me first apologize. I will try and articulate my point without coming off as too stubborn.

Mario is a man on Hockey's Mount Rushmore..in 100 years, we will speak about him, like we speak of a babe Ruth, and other sports legends. And so, I am in no way denigrating him.

But what was the goal scoring rate like in 2001 versus today. if the same, then your argument wins. If goals are down, then we must correct OVIs and give him some credit. In the end, Mario most likely wins, but it may prove to be closer than we assume

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Mario is the best.

Mario is clearly the best, when you ignore longevity. Had Lemieux been healthy his entire career, he would likely hold the record for goals, and would have been in the same league as Gretzky for points.

Unfortunately Lemieux didn't stay healthy. When looking at the "greatest" anytime, longevity is a factor.

Who knows, if Bossy had stayed health, he might have the record for most goals.

Reactions: 32hunter

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I'm sure it will bother some people, but most people know that Lemieux did this in like 200+ less games, so most people will be happy for OV I'm sure. Regardless, it'll be a great achievement for OV.
even though hes not in the same tier remember mario played against garbage goalies and defensive schemes for the majority of his career

cleanfront

Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, why be just a goalscorer when you could be an all around offensive GOAT. Because we all know the purpose of offense is to ... score goals. :thumbu:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
And almost everybody ahead of him played in the 1980s/early 90s. You have to remember that he did this in the modern era, when it's never been harder to score.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Mario is the best.
33 yo Ovechkin scored 32 in 43 and that without Jagr assisting him 2/3 of his goals (Jagr won 4th Ross in a row).
Ovechkin is the best.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
never be able to compare the eras. All those 80s guys had the advantage of terrible goalies and defensive schemes. Ovi has the advantage of equipment and training. Obvious bias aside no one else from ovis era is close to what hes been able to do. The 80s guys did all that scoring in the same era.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
9 more goals and he’s at #8 all time. Crazy.

So grateful to have watched him play his whole career. My favourite player ever since he broke into the league. Legend.

I remember his hype pre 2006 season, it was after the lockout and people were just excited to have hockey back, but I didn't realize he would be such a goal scoring force, being a huge fan of Bure as a kid I hoped he would be as good as Bure.

I used to visit a site called Thunderpuck and I remember all the hype surrounding OV, but Crosby had a higher hype (rightfully so)

I also remember "the goal" he scored against the yotes.

Crazy that's so long ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad