Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Ovechkin has been great, but his goals per game average is considerably higher due to being young. Gotta remember Gretzkywasn't scoring at a high pace near the end. He scored 9 goals his final year which in turn made him realize it was time to hang it up

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Ovechkin has been great, but his goals per game average is considerably higher due to being young. Gotta remember Gretzkywasn't scoring at a high pace near the end. He scored 9 goals his final year which in turn made him realize it was time to hang it up

Ovechkin will always be able to score goals because of his shot.

It's his even strength play, and defence etc that will degrade and make him a non-NHLer eventually.

While his goals per game will dip of course, I can't ever see him getting down into the 9 goals per season range. Jagr scored 16 at 44 years old. Ovie could as well if he wants to stick around that long.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin has been great, but his goals per game average is considerably higher due to being young. Gotta remember Gretzky wasn't scoring at a high pace near the end. He scored 9 goals his final year which in turn made him realize it was time to hang it up

I won't dispute Ovechkin's goal totals will go down as he ages, of course they will, but Ovechkin at 31 years old scored, 33 goals, then 49, then 51, and he sits at 28 now after 47 games at age 34. Gretzky at 31 years old scored 31 goals, then 16, then 38 then 11 at age 34.

Ovechkin is competing (and behind) with Esposito at this point not Gretzky.

Phil Esposito Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

The more fascinating story is that Ovechkin has beaten guys ten years younger than him two seasons in a row and is keeping up again this season.

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What's absolutely insane about the list of the NHL goal scoring leaders, is that there are only 3 players in the top 50 who played in less than 4 digit games (1000 gp) in order to make the list.

RankNameGPG
31Maurice Richard978544
22Mike Bossy752573
10Mario Lemieux915690
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

However, if you sort by G/GP, one name immediately sticks out.
His numbers were right on par with Ovechkin.

NameGPGAPtsG/GPP/GP
Pavel Bure702437342779.6231.10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I won't dispute Ovechkin's goal totals will go down as he ages, of course they will, but Ovechkin at 31 years old scored, 33 goals, then 49, then 51, and he sits at 28 now after 47 games at age 34. Gretzky at 31 years old scored 31 goals, then 16, then 38 then 11 at age 34.

Ovechkin is competing (and behind) with Esposito at this point not Gretzky.

Phil Esposito Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

The more fascinating story is that Ovechkin has beaten guys ten younger than him two seasons in a row and is keeping up again this season.

That's because he's one of the very best goal scorers in history. There will never be a time when his name isn't brought up when discussing the greatest players, never mind greatest goal scorers.
Based on your avatar, I'd say you've been very fortunate to watch and cheer on one of the all time greats.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What's absolutely insane about the list of the NHL goal scoring leaders, is that there are only 3 players in the top 50 who played in less than 4 digit games (1000 gp) in order to make the list.

RankNameGPG
31Maurice Richard978544
22Mike Bossy752573
10Mario Lemieux915690
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
However, if you sort by G/GP, one name immediately sticks out.
His numbers were right on par with Ovechkin.

NameGPGAPtsG/GPP/GP
Pavel Bure702437342779.6231.10
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mario's GPG is insane compared to any of the other top goal scorers. Damnit...we were robbed of seeing something even more spectacular if he weren't stunted with cancer and back surgeries in his prime.

Congrats to Ovi. He'll keep moving up the board the more games he stays healthy.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
With his GWG tonight, OV tied Shanahan for 6th all-time. Two more - and OV passes Selanne again to become 4th all-time in GWG.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Ovechkin will always be able to score goals because of his shot.

It's his even strength play, and defence etc that will degrade and make him a non-NHLer eventually.

While his goals per game will dip of course, I can't ever see him getting down into the 9 goals per season range. Jagr scored 16 at 44 years old. Ovie could as well if he wants to stick around that long.

In a nut shell lol. Every one knows what's happening on the PP yet he still scores non stop

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
23 goals until he passes Gartner for 7th all time. Would mean 51 for Ovechkin this year - easily doable.

At 709, just needs 186 goals for the all-time record. If Ovechkin plays 5 more years that's an average of 38 goals a season (would leave him with 899).

Gretzky record is still possible... but if OV plays 2 more years after this one, he will certainly be #3 all time and possibly #2 all time by 2022.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Mario's GPG is insane compared to any of the other top goal scorers. Damnit...we were robbed of seeing something even more spectacular if he weren't stunted with cancer and back surgeries in his prime.

Congrats to Ovi. He'll keep moving up the board the more games he stays healthy.

It sucks but that's the nature of the beast. Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, etc all lost a ton of games/points to injuries and illness. This is one of the things that makes Ovy a special player on it's own. As physical a game he plays and has only missed 29 games to date an not even all of those were to injury.

Reactions: Tmu84

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Truly great player that we have been fortunate enough to follow his career so far. Definately one of the best ive seen, and likely will. Hope he continues to rise up the list.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I feel kinda strange to call an active player "legend".

I don't really disagree but when compared to those who are legends, his story stacks up quite well so far.

Didn’t he lose a full season to start his career?
The year Crosby was drafted.

That's a bit of a misnomer. He was under contract in the KHL for what would have been his draft year season and there was no transfer agreement in place at the time so not really.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
By the looks of it, he's gonna hit 700+ this year and crack the top-10. Not sure if he'll catch Gartner this season (It would mean he scored 50+ goals). But by next season I expect him to enter the top-5 goal scorers of all-time, this would be at the age of 35. Catching Gretzky is gonna be tough, but passing Howe seems very realistic at this point, which is incredible and may grant him the argument for the best goal scorer of all-time.

Reactions: JBeast

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The guy is great. In today's game with scoring lower than the 80's and early 90's. You can argue he is the greatest goal scorer ever.

You can argue it but he is not really close to becoming the consensus. His peak goalscoring year is Top 5 to top 10.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
You can argue it but he is not really close to becoming the consensus. His peak goalscoring year is Top 5 to top 10.

forgive me if I am not 100% accurate on numbers, ..you can easily look it up. But there were years the Rocket Richard was handed out to guys with only 50 goals. there may have been a sub 50 goal season. Did Jamie Benn not win the scoring title one year with 86 total points (If 88, my apologizes).

Correct that way, and you would realize OVI may have had a good 20% more goals..Take his totals and add 20%. he has 686 at 20% you are at 823. Gretz 894..I mean awfully close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->