Ovechkin passes Selanne,Super Mario,Yzerman and Messier for career goals. 2 more for 700 goal club.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It is quite interesting that the Capitals play the Penguins in two plus weeks. I doubt Pittsburgh will congratulate Ovechkin if he passes Lemieux there. Then again, the Capitals did classy thing for the victims in Pittsburgh couple years ago so you never know.

They absolutely will/would. Penguins are an extremely classy organization, just as the Capitals are.

And I bet he would get a pretty nice ovation as well.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Mario is clearly the best, when you ignore longevity. Had Lemieux been healthy his entire career, he would likely hold the record for goals, and would have been in the same league as Gretzky for points.

Unfortunately Lemieux didn't stay healthy. When looking at the "greatest" anytime, longevity is a factor.

Who knows, if Bossy had stayed health, he might have the record for most goals.
absolutely if people want to discount longevity then Bossy is the man. Most consecutive 50 + goals seasons with 9 (He only played 10 years)
most 60 goal seasons 5 tied with Gretzky.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Guy who has taken almost 2000 more shots than any other F since he entered the league has scored a lot of goals.

12.6 shooting % over a career is nothing special. But when you out shoot everyone by miles, you're going to win a lot of hardware as it pertains to scoring goals.

This was no different for Bobby Hull back in the day although Hull was simply a more dynamic player for a longer period of time but i don't expect many to even know who Bobby Hull was here.

Reactions: JLaw1719

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ovechkin took the most shots ever in 08/09 and scored 56 lol. Come on now

It’ll have taken him over 230+ games and 2100+ shots to pass Lemieux’s career mark of 690 goals lol. It’s a special talent to pull off that sheer volume of shots, but it’s laughable how some people think he’s the greatest goal scorer of all time already.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
It’ll have taken him over 230+ games and 2100+ shots to pass Lemieux’s career mark of 690 goals lol. It’s a special talent to pull off that sheer volume of shots, but it’s laughable how some people think he’s the greatest goal scorer of all time already.

The goalies Lemieux played against were laughable too.

No one said OV is a better goal scorer than Lemieux so don't wet yourself. But yeah, it's "laughable" to suggest the guy with the most goal scoring titles ever is the greatest.

Reactions: filinski77

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Guy who has taken almost 2000 more shots than any other F since he entered the league has scored a lot of goals.

12.6 shooting % over a career is nothing special. But when you out shoot everyone by miles, you're going to win a lot of hardware as it pertains to scoring goals.

This was no different for Bobby Hull back in the day although Hull was simply a more dynamic player for a longer period of time but i don't expect many to even know who Bobby Hull was here.

The more you shoot the worse your % is going to be. If Ovechkin was more picky with when to shoot; his percentage would be higher but his goal totals would be lower. Shot percentage definitely benefits the picky scorers over the ones who just shoot.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
That's not even mentioning Lemieux's 76 goals in 107 games in the playoffs compared to Ovi's 65 in 128.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The goalies Lemieux played against were laughable too.

No one said OV is a better goal scorer than Lemieux so don't wet yourself. But yeah, it's "laughable" to suggest the guy with the most goal scoring titles ever is the greatest.

Yes, tell me more about the goalies you’ve only seen in highlight reels who had to rely more on athleticism than goalies that followed with their bigger gear and looked like fools because they were getting shots fired at them by many more goal scorers than exist today.

I do put Ovechkin in my personal top 5 and I give him full credit for scoring 686 goals and counting, as well as leading a very weak era of goal scorers because you can only go with the hand you are dealt but come on...

I would hope he’d have at least the 8 Rockets when his completion for goal scorers since he entered the league are Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Parise, Perry, Vanek and Kessel.

Stamkos is the only true goal scorer on that list. Crosby is obviously tasked with more than just firing 5000 shots on net. Malkin is of the same vein. The rest are kind of a joke. That’s your Rocket competition.

As impressive as it is for Ovechkin to be the only guy who is consistent enough to pot 50, it’s equally as sad that this era is so weak with goal scorers (pure or consistent at least).

I would hope that firing 2000 additional shots on net would translate to what it has.

Reactions: Studz and Sidmieux

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Man, I miss having Selanne in the league.
I hated Selanne for most of his career because my cousin was a die hard Selanne fanboy and I was a huge fan of Bure. My cousin was naturally a left handed shot and he managed to switch to right handed through sheer hard work and determination lol. That's how much of a fan he was. Anyway, I got sick of hearing about how amazing Selanne was. That said, I appreciated him towards the end of his career.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Good on OV. That one timer on the PP is lethal. He may pass Gretzky eventually.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
No surprise it's the ******** pens fans coming in complaining now about.. The # of shots OV takes lol. If it's so easy to just fire shots then why doesn't everyone do it to score all these goals?

Yep, it's always the same names so you know who the petty haters are.

Look at this dude

He was spitting nonsense in the thread that got locked up, and you see why.

How freaking petty must you be to come in a CONGRATULATIONS thread and bash said player.

So pathetic, I could say much more but I'll control myself.

I hate people like that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I would hope he’d have at least the 8 Rockets when his completion for goal scorers since he entered the league are Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Parise, Perry, Vanek and Kessel.

Stamkos is the only true goal scorer on that list. Crosby is obviously tasked with more than just firing 5000 shots on net. Malkin is of the same vein. The rest are kind of a joke. That’s your Rocket competition.

As impressive as it is for Ovechkin to be the only guy who is consistent enough to pot 50, it’s equally as sad that this era is so weak with goal scorers (pure or consistent at least).

I would hope that firing 2000 additional shots on net would translate to what it has.
Yeah gonna argue the counterpoint. It’s more impressive that Ovechkin has pocketed as many goals that he has and that no one has done it as consistent as he has. It just shows how hard goal scoring actual is in this league and he continues to score goals while becoming an old man before our eyes.

As for the shots, maybe he has that many more shots because he’s very good at getting himself in a solid shooting position. Or maybe it’s because he has played almost the entire 2 minutes on just about every Capitals PP chance over the past 15 years. Without looking, I’d be willing to bet his PP TOI totals and the PP TOI average is well above anyone else in the league.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011

You seem to be forgetting a good number of names from Ovechkin's early years, like Kovalchuk, Iginla, Heatley, Nash (in fact, Nash gave OV quite a run for his money as late as 2014/15). Patrick Kane is also a pretty good goal-scorer.

Ovechkin's claim to fame is that he stayed great for a long, long, long time - he was able to lead those guys (and other quite competent goal-scorers like Tavares, Gaborik, Pavelski, etc.) by 30-50% for a freaking decade. Ovechkin probably never reached a one-year goal-scoring peak of Lemieux or Gretzky or Bobby Hull, his career arc was flatter in terms of goal-scoring, but his prime was so incredibly long that it probably still lasts. In that regard, he is similar to Maurice Richard.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I do put Ovechkin in my personal top 5 and I give him full credit for scoring 686 goals and counting, as well as leading a very weak era of goal scorers because you can only go with the hand you are dealt but come on...

In terms of high-end competition, it is in fact pretty rare that two all-time great goal-scorers are duking it out versus each other - all-time greats are rare by definition and thus do not overlap all that much.

Ovechkin stole two goal-scoring titles from Stamkos and lost one to him - is Stamkos good enough competition? Would Bure or Bossy be a stronger competition?

Let's look at their % leads over #10 in goals

Stamkos 67-46-38-32-30-10-9
Bossy 73-42-33-33-30-28-26-25-9-9
Bure 61-55-48-30-11

Bossy seems to be a bit weaker than Stamkos down the middle, but stronger on the tail end, Bure is stronger in the best three years, but not durable. Stamkos seems to be an average between the two.

Now, if you take Lemieux' goal-scoring titles - he had to beat Jagr, Nicholls, and Craig Simpson (Who is this third guy? I can't remember). The other three years Lemieux finished top3 were the years he lost to Mogilny, Kerr, and Tkachuk. It was not like he had to beat peak Gretzky or peak Brett Hull to get his goal-scoring titles or lost some to them.

And that's not a jab at Lemieux, this is basically how it goes - for example, Bobby Hull's main competition for goal-scoring titles were Mahovlich and Mikita, and in terms of goal-scoring they are similar to prime Kovalchuk.

So I would say Ovechkin faced a fair share of adversity in terms of high-end competition, probably even more than an average all-time great goal-scorer did.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
You seem to be forgetting a good number of names from Ovechkin's early years, like Kovalchuk, Iginla, Heatley, Nash (in fact, Nash gave OV quite a run for his money as late as 2014/15). Patrick Kane is also a pretty good goal-scorer.

Ovechkin's claim to fame is that he stayed great for a long, long, long time - he was able to lead those guys (and other quite competent goal-scorers like Tavares, Gaborik, Pavelski, etc.) by 30-50% for a freaking decade. Ovechkin probably never reached a one-year goal-scoring peak of Lemieux or Gretzky or Bobby Hull, his career arc was flatter in terms of goal-scoring, but his prime was so incredibly long that it probably still lasts. In that regard, he is similar to Maurice Richard.

Ovechkins 65 goal season is one of the greatest goal scoring seasons of all time. He’s reached the peak and longevity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad