Out of Town Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
paying Seabrook 9M clearly backfired. 5 more years after this one to go. He started this season owned 37M, ouch. They might get something decent for Keith if he'll agree to waive his NMC, he's owed 9.75M after this year over 4 years so not bad.

I so badly wanted us to trade Pac there for the Hawks 1st and Jokiharju. Many of the draft fans on this board would be doing backflips if MB had pulled that off.
It's like Chicago did not plan for post ''Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabrook'' era. I get that Toews is their captain, but 10.5M for him? There was a time that it made a bit of sense. Way over priced, but considering the position they were in and he was their captain, then it made sense. But they should have looked to trade him over the past few seasons. Same with Keith.
I don't get moving Saad like they did either, and as you said, signing Seabrook to 8 years just two seasons ago...that's a big head scratcher.
It's like they didn't want to move forward.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If the 2015 draft was redone Rantanen would be the 2nd overall pick. What a talent.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's like Chicago did not plan for post ''Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabrook'' era. I get that Toews is their captain, but 10.5M for him? There was a time that it made a bit of sense. Way over priced, but considering the position they were in and he was their captain, then it made sense. But they should have looked to trade him over the past few seasons. Same with Keith.
I don't get moving Saad like they did either, and as you said, signing Seabrook to 8 years just two seasons ago...that's a big head scratcher.
Well the Habs have a goalie signed until he is 38 and a D signed until he is 40 with a combined cap hit of 18.4 million per season. That’s right up there with the Toews/Kane signings

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Members who have had their waiting period waived by the hall-

1947 - Dit Clapper retired on February 12, 1947.
1961 - Maurice "Rocket" Richard retired following the 1960-61 season.
1966 - Ted Lindsay retired in 1965.
1969 - Leonard "Red" Kelly retired in 1967.
1971 - Terry Sawchuk passed away in Summer of '70.
1972 - Jean Beliveau retired in 1972.
1972 - Gordie Howe retired in 1972, came out of retirement in 1973.
1979 - Bobby Orr retired in 1979 due to knee injury.
1997 - Mario Lemieux retired in 1997, came out of retirement in 2000.
1999 - Wayne Gretzky retired in 1999.

Ovechkin would also be worthy.
Though Ovechkin would be worthy of it, the Hall already decided that Lemieux, and more importantly, Gretzky, would be the last players to get instantly inducted upon retirement (and Lemieux's comeback burned them a little). So Ovi will have to wait his three years like everyone else now.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Clever and yes kind of. But no. The Leafs. They are going to destroy the Habs next time they play. Wow, that power play against our penalty kill. Eeeks

I like the Raptors chances in the playoffs better than the Leafs. Their Lebron problem moved west. Leafs are likely to finish 1st or 2nd in their division and the league for that matter but will still have to beat Tampa and/or Boston to get out of their division. Unless they make a move to bolster the D, that team, while a regular season juggernaut will struggle to get out of the Atlantic.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Fair point re Poehling. The part I am not understanding about this board is that it seems every player (except PK Subban) is supposed to be traded at the moment of ultimate ripeness for some imagined, fanciful return (cf. every player traded or retained from Halak to DLR) or that some moment of ultimate ripeness actually exists. Or, to put it another way, fan fiction posters on hockey boards don't understand opportunity cost at all.

If someone doesn't fit into your plan/vision for the team then trading them at their peak value is obviously the goal because it improves your chances of being a contender. The more value you accumulate the more you can turn it into a winning team.

I do think fans tend to oversimplify the GMs job down to asset management (Trades, signings) when in fact a much bigger part of the job is hiring the right people, like the scouts, coaches, support staff, etc... And sure fans do tend to think that they should get diamonds for their scrapheap players. But really so what? It's easy to ignore the ridiculous trade proposals, but I don't see why asset management shouldn't be a major part of the conversation about the GM.

Reactions: montreal

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Brook has been doing things that have not been done by a Habs prospect in forever though.

Suzuki too, but I guess Galchenyuk did that. Anyway, i think Suzuki turning into a 30-30 kid of player like Galchenyuk is wouldn't be too bad either.
Sorry? Did you just say Galchenyuk is a 30g 30a guy??? Um ok
He did it once. He’s a 20G a year guy. This 30 thing is a joke

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kane is the one guy who seems to really still have it? He's carried the team the last two times Ive seen them play now
He does. He's also a bit younger than Toews.

They should've moved on from Toews before signing him, tough ask for sure, but theyd be set for a quick turnaround... Now theyll be mediocre for 10 years.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Can you just stop referencing Galchenyuk, youre a good poster if you stop with the non-sense of hating on him.
It’s not hate it’s fact. He’ scored 30 once. Many players have had one good season
Can we not call a spade a spade and say he’s a 20g guy
Btw I don’t hate Galchenyuk. I just think he’s lazy and an average players. His stats show that
I for one really really hope Suzuki becomes a better player than him

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s not hate it’s fact. He’ scored 30 once. Many players have had one good season
Can we not call a spade a spade and say he’s a 20g guy
Btw I don’t hate Galchenyuk. I just think he’s lazy and an average players. His stats show that
I for one really really hope Suzuki becomes a better player than him
Move on from Galchenyuk, I have no intention of discussing him with you.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Well when you think about it these are guys that brought 3 cups to Chicago. Its kinda hard to just throw these 4 core guys away after those cups.

Also most of em are still relativly young. If Chicago can get lucky and land a top 3 pick or even the number 1 pick they could turn it around very quickly. Imagine they land Hughes at the draft. Kane and Towes are still producing today.

Here we are crying over guys like Radu/Markov/PK and none of them brought a cup to this city. Imagine we won a cup or 2 with those guys the outrage would be if then we traded them a year later to start to rebuild.

Keith and Seabrook are getting up there in age, but Kane/Towes are pieces that can still help the team. I bet Chicago turns it around very quickly if they draft the right player this year.

Reactions: PaulD

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I think they expected the true decline to be around 2020 and not so steep in some of the cases ( Seabrook in particular) . They've been kinda taken off guard .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad