Out of town thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
With Vegas being exempted from the expansion draft, wont this make it unfair for Seattle ?

I mean, Vegas basically had free reign to make deals with teams that had too many players to protect. Whereas if Vegas has an exemption, you suddenly have an additional team competing for those players without any roster restrictions.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
With Vegas being exempted from the expansion draft, wont this make it unfair for Seattle ?

I mean, Vegas basically had free reign to make deals with teams that had too many players to protect. Whereas if Vegas has an exemption, you suddenly have an additional team competing for those players without any roster restrictions.

Agree. I hope they make some kind of rule that you can't use Las Vegas to 'protect' players.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

IMO, nope, because there are several years in between the two expansions.

A lot of players were exempt because they were in their first two years of pros. All of those players will now need to be either exposed, or protected, which means exposing somebody else.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
IMO, nope, because there are several years in between the two expansions.

A lot of players were exempt because they were in their first two years of pros. All of those players will now need to be either exposed, or protected, which means exposing somebody else.
Hmmm... Thats not really what I meant.

Seattle will have another team with no roster restrictions competing for players that teams wont be able to protect.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Agree. I hope they make some kind of rule that you can't use Las Vegas to 'protect' players.
I don't think teams are going to do what they did last time. They will just accept that they're going to lose a player and move on. Very few of the "deals" that were made worked out for anyone but Vegas.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hmmm... Thats not really what I meant.

Seattle will have another team with no roster restrictions competing for players that teams wont be able to protect.

Well, they do have roster restrictions. They can only have so many contracts at a given time, and only so much cap. Further, if they collude, the NHL might come down on them.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Absolutely someone posted they like Wilson and they hoped he isn't hurt. I hoped he isn't hurt so someone else can can take a run at him.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree with your statement. Reaves had him in his sights all not long.

It looked like he might have a concussion. We shall see.

Perhaps, it might be the only way he begins to appreciate how dangerous his hits are. Its ok to play with an edge but he plays cheap

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well, they do have roster restrictions. They can only have so many contracts at a given time, and only so much cap. Further, if they collude, the NHL might come down on them.
True but they would be an additional team that could offer assets for players teams would lose anyways. They basically had a monopoly in that sense for their expansion draft since most teams but a few couldnt afford to take on more protected slots. Seattle wont have as much of an advantage because of that rule, at least if Vegas plays their cards right.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
True but they would be an additional team that could offer assets for players teams would lose anyways. They basically had a monopoly in that sense for their expansion draft since most teams but a few couldnt afford to take on more protected slots. Seattle wont have as much of an advantage because of that rule, at least if Vegas plays their cards right.

OK I see what you mean. Seattle won't have the option of running a hoarding game in three years time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seattle should have a leg up in that they won't have an unsustainable run in year one and will actually tank and get great young players to build around.

Reactions: Toene

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I don't think it's going to be a big deal, but Seattle loses some bargaining power because of Vegas's exemption. Lots of teams looked at moving their #4 D instead of exposing them, however the market was limited because not many teams could take that guy and still protect him. This gave Vegas the opportunity to low ball certain teams, or force concessions to not pick a certain player. With Vegas's exemption it means you can trade your #4 D to Vegas and in theory get a better return because more teams are able to take that player without exposing him. So Seattle has a slightly weaker hand.

Vegas doesn't need to collude, they could trade for a teams #4 D when prices are low right before the draft, and then turn around and deal him to a different team after the draft and presumably get a better return.

Reactions: Andrei79

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If the Habs sign Karlsson, then Seattle will have their pick of Mete or Juulsen ;-)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is the Blues 1st round pick lottery protected? If not then the Sabres might land Hughes .......

Yes, it's protected for this year, but not next. I can see that team having a quick turn around. Draft Kaako, Cozens or Dach move Schenn back to wing if needed. Don't resign JayBo. Get a real goalie. 2020 1st shouldn't be close to a lottery pick if they do this off-season right.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Agreed. I was going to write the same...and ya, we can add Ziggy Palfy, Alfredsson, Iginla, Peter Bondra, Blake, Nolan, Ricci, Amonte, LeClair, Weight, Kovalev, Lafontaine, Oates, Roenick, Gimour, Theo Fleury, Brett Hull, Ciccarelli, Housley...
Hot dang the list goes on and on.

I seriously miss 90s hockey. I don't think there ever was as much talent as in that time. The funny part is, we couldn't really watch most of the teams and guys play because there was no center ice package, or anything of the sorts.
So watching sports center was an absolute must every single morning. After that, take the sports section on the way to school, I would read every little stats available to me. Go over each game scoreboard they would write in the papers.
Man, simpler times. But it sure feels there was a lot more high end guys back then.
1991 was peak hockey. Goalies weren’t bad either, Roy, Brodeur, Hasek. 3 top 10 guys all at prime

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Expansion draft in 2021 means we lose a D even having traded Petry.

Weber, Mete, Juulsen will be eligible. If we do aquire someone else on the left side to solidy the squad in the near future, we'll have to choose between those four as I dont think we'll protect only 4 forwards with the 8 skaters - 1G formula that some team used for the LV expansion.

Depends on what rules are put in place. If they're similar to Vegas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad