Out of town thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Matthews scores his second of the night at 3 sec left in OT, his 15th of the season, only 6 goals away from Laine despite missing a whole month, crazy...

Point is currently fifth in points in the league, 2nd in goals and is a RFA at the end of the year... Dont know how Tampa will do here to retain him... Both Coburn and Girardi are UFA, it will help but still, Point is probably going to ask for 8M per year minimum...

Reactions: Rapala

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I can’t remember the NHL with so many top end young players all at once. Fun to watch

Well, the league played a huge role in showcasing that talent with their crackdown on stick infractions.

These new guys have their hands completely free to do their thing.

What was once considered a good defensive play has been outlawed completely, and I really believe it's the biggest factor for the goal scoring.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Matthews scores his second of the night at 3 sec left in OT, his 15th of the season, only 6 goals away from Laine despite missing a whole month, crazy...

Point is currently fifth in points in the league, 2nd in goals and is a RFA at the end of the year... Dont know how Tampa will do here to retain him... Both Coburn and Girardi are UFA, it will help but still, Point is probably going to ask for 8M per year minimum...

Matthews 17 million a year....lol

Reactions: Goldenhands

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Laine missed a month too despite playing.:laugh:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

If Point only asks for 8M a year, Tampa will take that in a heartbeat

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can’t remember the NHL with so many top end young players all at once. Fun to watch

Early 90s when Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Jagr, Selanne, Federov, Lidstrom, Mogilny, Bure, Pronger, Neidermayer, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Sundin, Stevens, Shanahan, and the older Tkachuk all appeared. I've probably forgotten a few.

And, you still had the in prime core of Lemieux, Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Roy, Neely, Chelios, Neuiwendyk, Roberts, MacInnis, Coffey, Yzerman, and Francis.

90s were a very talented era, which is probably why the dead puck era occurred late 90s to early 00s. Interference, hooking and holding were the only way to stop them. Hopefully, that doesn't occur again.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Early 90s when Sakic, Forsberg, Lindros, Jagr, Selanne, Federov, Lidstrom, Mogilny, Bure, Pronger, Neidermayer, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Sundin, Stevens, Shanahan, and the older Tkachuk all appeared. I've probably forgotten a few.

And, you still had the in prime core of Lemieux, Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Roy, Neely, Chelios, Neuiwendyk, Roberts, MacInnis, Coffey, Yzerman, and Francis.

90s were a very talented era, which is probably why the dead puck era occurred late 90s to early 00s. Interference, hooking and holding were the only way to stop them. Hopefully, that doesn't occur again.

lol..if the trap/dead puck era happens again that would be a travesty...actually it should be banned

I don't think you can go back now.....that stuff was killing the game to the point of considering bigger nets..give me a break...

Now with the NHL in on sport betting and E fantasy sports/ betting... trying to break into new hockey markets etc....they want the goals and more unpredictability...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't think it's a "bad" hit but it's the kind of hit that gets thrown in a heated game. I like Wilson a lot, I hope he's not hurt.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Adin Hill playing well. Was hoping the habs would have drafted him in his 2nd year of eligibility but oh well. Can't get them all.

High scoring night in the NHL

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Agreed. I was going to write the same...and ya, we can add Ziggy Palfy, Alfredsson, Iginla, Peter Bondra, Blake, Nolan, Ricci, Amonte, LeClair, Weight, Kovalev, Lafontaine, Oates, Roenick, Gimour, Theo Fleury, Brett Hull, Ciccarelli, Housley...
Hot dang the list goes on and on.

I seriously miss 90s hockey. I don't think there ever was as much talent as in that time. The funny part is, we couldn't really watch most of the teams and guys play because there was no center ice package, or anything of the sorts.
So watching sports center was an absolute must every single morning. After that, take the sports section on the way to school, I would read every little stats available to me. Go over each game scoreboard they would write in the papers.
Man, simpler times. But it sure feels there was a lot more high end guys back then.

Reactions: japhi

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

That is a thing of beauty right there. He is putting his weight on the opposite leg, most guys shooting left would have most of their body weight on the left leg(closest to the blade) and I watched a video that he did with Mike Johnson where he talked about being able to shoot off both legs, what an excellent shot!

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Agreed. I was going to write the same...and ya, we can add Ziggy Palfy, Alfredsson, Iginla, Peter Bondra, Blake, Nolan, Ricci, Amonte, LeClair, Weight, Kovalev, Lafontaine, Oates, Roenick, Gimour, Theo Fleury, Brett Hull, Ciccarelli, Housley...

I seriously miss 90s hockey. I don't think there ever was as much talent as in that time. The funny part is, we couldn't really watch most of the teams and guys play because there was no center ice package, or anything of the sorts.
So watching sports center was an absolute must every single morning. After that, take the sports section on the way to school, I would read every little stats available to me. Go over each game scoreboard they would write in the papers.
Man, simpler times. But it sure feels there was a lot more high end guys back then.

Iginla didnt really become the high end player that he was until the 00s. Ricci kind if sucked for a bit.

You can show a lot of skilled players for most eras.

Hell, it was for what, 18 years where only Gretzky, Lemieux or Jagr won the art ross.

One of the reasons the dead puck era came to be is likely because so many players sucked defensively. That's why today you see so many teams use a small square and leave the points open, especially if the puck is down low. Or you see players hustle back to turn a 2 on 1 into a 2 on 3, but they just flood the middle leaving a trailer open, or a back door pass available.

It was even worse in the 90s with 3,or 5 tough guys on your team

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Iginla didnt really become the high end player that he was until the 00s. Ricci kind if sucked for a bit.

You can show a lot of skilled players for most eras.

Hell, it was for what, 18 years where only Gretzky, Lemieux or Jagr won the art ross.

One of the reasons the dead puck era came to be is likely because so many players sucked defensively. That's why today you see so many teams use a small square and leave the points open, especially if the puck is down low. Or you see players hustle back to turn a 2 on 1 into a 2 on 3, but they just flood the middle leaving a trailer open, or a back door pass available.

It was even worse in the 90s with 3,or 5 tough guys on your team
Still, just commenting on how talent was plentiful back in 90s too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I woke up this morning and thought, OMG, I forgot Bourque & Hall.

Tougher to see, but TSN & a new sports channel ESPN started showing some games. CBC was a must watch Saturday as they would show multiple games.

Extraordinarily talented era.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I still can't believe we were one number off Matthews. Literally one ****ing number.

Yes .... sometimes it would pay off in the long run to ..... *Ahem* try and get the best possible draft pick.... because it can , although not a guaranteed, pay off in the long run.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I woke up this morning and thought, OMG, I forgot Bourque & Hall.

Tougher to see, but TSN & a new sports channel ESPN started showing some games. CBC was a must watch Saturday as they would show multiple games.

Extraordinarily talented era.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad