Injury Report: Out of Town Thread Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The way I see it, Montreal have been so talent starved that Weber’s “steadier” Hand doomed the Habs to mediocrity. I’d rather have Subban for the risk/reward factor. Weber certainly didn’t lose us anything, but has he ever pulled a Boston 2014?

Perception is why the trade was made and I always think of Jonathan Toews saying he was glad Weber was traded out of the central because of the fear factor... only to be shut down by subban in 2017, which funnily enough, Weber could never do to him.
I honestly don't think it would have mattered in our only post season appearance since the trade. Weber played well with 3pts in 6 games while Subban finished the first round in the West with 2 points in 4 games.

Reasons for the trade have been discussed to death, from Weber's exaggerated reputation to how much space pk was taking up in the Habs dressing room.

I do believe bergevin thought he was getting the much superior player in Weber at the time of the trade though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I guess we'll just agree to disagree. We also gave up the far better playoff performer, by the way. Subban's peak was just infinitely more interesting than Weber following the trade. I value that a lot more than steady play for time he wasn't injured. I mean he missed over half his games in the past two seasons. That's just terrible.
No doubt about it, pk was the better playoff performer and had higher peaks.

He also brought something to the city that the fans hadn't seen in a long time so I can understand the sentimentality.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
We haven’t made the playoffs in 3 years.
One without Price , one without Weber and one with 96 pts ( How many time a NHL team didn't make the playoffs with those numbers ?).
Both players are in their downside . To me i would choose Weber between the 2 , because Subban is/was a flashy player but nothing else while Weber is still a big presence but also a mentor , a "father" that will still contribute once he'll be less effective on the ice . He's the guy that you want to be around the team and i wouldn't be surprised to see him in a management role after his career . Subban is more of a public face you will see in the medias ; a kind of modern clown that will replace Don Cherry :laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not one actual example of the impact of this mythical leadership.
I'm sure you recognize the value of leadership in any group setting. Whether we're talking sports, business, or a rock band, the right leader makes the group try harder, focus more, and perform better. There's nothing mythical about it; the effect of leadership on people is very real. On the flip side, bad internal chemistry without leadership almost always leads to failure.

I'm talking in generalities because, in the case of Weber or any team leader, how are fans supposed to offer concrete examples of their impact? You can't assign numbers to the value of leadership. You also can't see leadership when it happens -- we're not in the locker room or on the bench. But we can see the letters on Weber's jerseys. He wears the "C" here, as he did in Nashville, and he wore an "A" with Team Canada. Obviously, enough people in the hockey world value this guy's leadership, since multiple rosters and coaches continue to place him in a position to lead them.

Just as obviously, no matter how good a leader Weber might be, he can't turn a mediocre team into a Cup winner. But if he's as good a captain as he reportedly is, he can make the mediocre team a little better, maybe keep it from cracking under pressure or cracking through internal dissension. Those benefits are tangible and, unfortunately, totally invisible to fans.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
The Habs lost the Subban trade when they didn't trade him for prospects/high picks. You go get a Weber type player when you are a contender... not a bubble team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs lost the Subban trade when they didn't trade him for prospects/high picks. You go get a Weber type player when you are a contender... not a bubble team.

Here's the key quote from our mastr negotiator, back to when the trade was announced:

“If you're going to get a player of the calibre of Shea Weber you can't ask for more. ... You don't expect to get something else when you get Shea Weber.”.

Canadiens deal P.K. Subban to Predators for Shea Weber - Sportsnet.ca

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I honestly believe he's going to retire when his contract comes to fruition in 2 years and then become a TV personality for NBC.
29 and already talk of being the next Nick Kypreos ?

Who will retire first Chara , Weber, or Subban ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad